Sign in to follow this  
Sign in to follow this  

• Welcome To Our Community

The most creative and intelligent people on planet Earth hang out on this forum. Be ready to have your points of view challenged and refined.

We also want others to share your posts to ALL the social media outlets not just our own.

You need to be registered and logged in to get full access and to add content yourself. 

• Topics

• Oh wow! I've always suspected these little guys are much smarter than we give them credit for.
    •   That's what friends are for    Stray dog kicked by driver for being in his parking bay returns with a pack of friends… and trashes his car  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2989583/That-s-barking-space-Stray-dog-kicked-driver-parking-bay-returns-pack-friends-trashes-car.html    
    • Eventually it happens to everyone. As we age, even if we're healthy, the heart becomes less flexible, more stiff and just isn't as efficient in processing oxygen as it used to be. In most people the first signs show up in the 50s or early 60s. And among people who don't exercise, the underlying changes can start even sooner. "The heart gets smaller — stiffer," says Dr. Ben Levine, a sports cardiologist at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center and director of the Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, in Dallas. Think of the heart muscle as a rubber band, Levine says. In the beginning, the rubber band is flexible and pliable. But put it in a drawer for 20 years and it will emerge dry and brittle. "That's what happens to the heart and blood vessels," he says. And down the road, that sort of stiffness can get worse, he notes, leading to the breathlessness and other symptoms of heart failure, an inability of the heart to effectively pump blood to the lungs or throughout the body. Fortunately for those in midlife, Levine is finding that even if you haven't been an avid exerciser, getting in shape now may head off that decline and help restore your aging heart. He and his colleagues published their recent findings in the American Heart Association's journal, Circulation. The research team recruited individuals between the ages of 45 and 64 who were mostly sedentary but otherwise healthy. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/03/12/591513777/hearts-get-younger-even-at-middle-age-with-exercise
    • Who else is watching this serie?  I do since it is based on history. I like Darren Criss performance here.  I think that if the series would have been named "Andrew Cunanan" wouldn't be so attractive as it is when mentioning Gianni Versace. I'm amazed how serial killers lie a lot, disguise and end up killing sometimes their loved ones. 
    • Despite warnings from experts, older people are using
      more anti-anxiety and sleep medications, putting
      them at risk of serious side effects and even overdoses. At first, the pills helped her feel so much better. Jessica Falstein, an artist living in the East Village in Manhattan, learned she had an anxiety disorder in 1992. It led to panic attacks, a racing pulse, sleeplessness. “Whenever there was too much stress, the anxiety would become almost intolerable, like acid in the veins,” she recalled. When a psychopharmacologist prescribed the drug Klonopin, everything brightened. “It just leveled me out,” Ms. Falstein said. “I had more energy. And it helped me sleep, which I was desperate for.” After several months, however, the horrible symptoms returned. “My body became accustomed to half a milligram, and the drug stopped working,” she said. “So then I was up to one milligram. And then two.” Her doctor kept increasing the dosage and added Ativan to the mix. Now 67, with her health and stamina in decline, Ms. Falstein has been diligently working to wean herself from both medications, part of the class called benzodiazepines that is widely prescribed for insomnia and anxiety. “They turn on you,” she said. For years, geriatricians and researchers have sounded the alarm about the use of benzodiazepines among older adults. Often called “benzos,” the problem drugs include Valium (diazepam), Klonopin (clonazepam), Xanax (alprazolam) and Ativan (lorazepam). The cautions have had scant effect: Use of the drugs has risen among older people, even though they are particularly vulnerable to the drugs’ ill effects. Like Ms. Falstein, many patients take them for years, though they’re recommended only for short periods. The chemically related “z-drugs” — Ambien, Sonata and Lunesta — present similar risks. Now the opioid epidemic has generated fresh warnings, because pain relievers like Vicodin (hydrocodone with Tylenol) and OxyContin (oxycodone) are also frequently prescribed for older people. When patients take both, they’re at risk for overdosing. Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/health/elderly-drugs-addiction.html
    • NUEVA YORK (EFE) - Facebook anunció este lunes que contrató una firma externa para que audite a la consultora que manipuló con fines políticos la información de más de 50 millones de usuarios en la red social en EU, así como a uno de sus fundadores y al creador de la aplicación que recabó todos esos datos. "Hemos contratado a una firma de análisis forense digital, Stroz Friedberg, para que haga una amplia auditoría de Cambridge Analytica", la consultora británica, que ha acordado darle "un acceso completo a sus servidores y sistemas", escribió Facebook en su blog corporativo. La red social también pidió a las otras partes implicadas en la polémica que se sometan a una auditoría como parte de su investigación para determinar si es cierto que los datos filtrados sobre sus usuarios aún existen, de acuerdo con un informe que recibió hace varios. Se trata de Christopher Wylie, uno de los fundadores de Cambridge Analytica, y del profesor universitario Aleksandr Kogan, que accedió a la información de millones de usuarios a través de su aplicación para Facebook, llamada thisisyourdigitallife y que ofrecía un servicio de predicción de la personalidad, y la compartió con él. https://expansion.mx/tecnologia/2018/03/19/facebook-contrata-a-firma-que-audite-a-consultora-e-implicados-en-robo-de-datos
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member