• Topics

• I have always wondered why Jesus said, “foxes have dens”, in particular.  It reminds me of Luke 13:31,32 when he called Herod a “fox”.  At that time some Pharisees came to Jesus and said to him, “Leave this place and go somewhere else. Herod wants to kill you.” 32 He replied, “Go tell that fox, ‘I will keep on driving out demons and healing people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.’  So, Herod sent the Pharisees, and their response was pretty devious, as if they had some concern for Jesus’ life.  A fox is cunning, and it seems to be a cunning move shared between Herod and the Pharisees.  “foxes have dens”…much like false messiahs meet in their “inner rooms” - their dens.  “For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you ahead of time. 26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it.  Matt 24:24-26      
    • I will let you guys discuss this among yourselves. You seem pretty adamant at twisting what was really being said there, and no amount of logical reasoning will change your minds 😊.
    • In theory, I llke these remarks. In practice, I’m not sure that I do as much. Didn’t you say that you did not go to meetings but that you thought it was a good thing that your wife and children did? This doesn’t quite make sense to me. If your wife and children are going to meetings then they will be dubious of your efforts to make disciples of Jesus out of them. They will say that Jesus leads his earthly organization that you have separated yourself from—exactly the terms of which either you have never said or I missed it. For now, I will assume that you have simply gone inactive with regard to the congregation that your wife and kids think Jesus directs.  Will that really help them become disciples of Christ? Or are they not praying that they may somehow be able to help you to become more fully a disciple of Christ? I’m going to make a few assumptions. They’re probably wrong, but they make a good composite picture. Bear with me. You certainly do not hesitate to speak with authority so bear with me if I do as well. You downgrade the importance of preaching and you upgrade the importance of fine works in other ways. You upgrade the importance of raising children apart from public preaching. You upgrade the importance of interpretation and have spun a theory about how the matters of Revelation will turn out. I think it is far-fetched for reasons already given—primarily by JWI—not me. But it certainly reflects contemplation on the scriptures. Indeed, all I did was ridicule it and I count it very much to your credit that you did not get indignant with me on that account.  I think you’re a little embarrassed about the earthly organization and maybe about the brothers in any given Kingdom Hall. I think you are disappointed that so many of them are not more students of God’s Word than you think they ought be. You are turning verses over in your head, but many of them are not. “What has the organization said?” suffices for many of them. Plainly you are tired of the preaching work and tired that for so many it is rather ineffective. ‘It may be cumulative but, for any given individual, can’t they find more effective ways to serve?‘ seems be your attitude. If you have five children, then you are surely frustrated that so much teaching is geared for those who don’t have any children at all—at most one or two. “Yeah—give each of these guys (GB members) one or two teenagers and then see how that would affect how they carry themselves!” a friend of mine who raised three teens (two took to the truth, one did not) muttered.  I will speculate that you were an elder but as certain things did not go your way, you no longer are. Go back to the congregation. Regain the confidence for acting a spiritual head ought, per the definition of your wife and kids. Bring your gift to the altar. It is other than that which is stressed today, but that does not mean that it is not a gift. Don’t worry about being an elder again. Focus on the basics and the freedom that you have to unbuild. There are so many things that, as appointed men, they have to do, but you do not. Support them, but you can look around and visit, unbuild in a way that they can’t always get to as quickly and sometimes not at all. Just between me and you, when I first saw the online study course, I said: “Good! Now we can hold off on spoon-feeding people the basics and engage with them at a higher level.” I even wrote that I looked forward to the time when I would say—it would have to be just the right circumstances—“I don’t want to study the Bible with you—do it yourself!” When we keep ourselves immersed in the milk because that is as far as we get in teaching most people, it makes us babes ourself—and you are anything but a ‘babe.’ I don’t think the ministry is as pointless as you say. Yes, much territory is well-worked and yes, people know who we are, but I don’t think they know it very well. At least two reasons you did not mention argue strongly for keeping the present course—new adults are formed daily, and new circumstances prompt people to reappraise. I think we are not particularly effective in how we present the good news. As I grow older, with bills paid, kids gone, more freedom to both copy and innovate, I come up with new methods of door to door that almost instantly break down barriers. Such as telling people how it works with Jehovah’s Witnesses—on the 100th call, I will ask them to join our religion, and what are the chances it will go so long? In the meantime, it is just conversation. I’ve seen people visibly relax at that—now that they know the score, they need not fear that every word they say somehow digs them deeper into a pit of expectation that they will not be able to extract themselves from without unpleasantness. (unfortunately, some of our people give exactly that impression) The point is I think we can be much more effective than we are. This one here about speaking to the evangelical works, too: https://www.theworldnewsmedia.org/forums/topic/86486-speaking-with-the-evangelical/ No, the preaching work is going to define the organization and I think you must get your head around that. “This good news of the kingdom will be preached.....and then the end will come” will always be the theme. ‘Anyone hearing the voice of the Lord, let them also say ‘come’ It’s the way it is. You are not going to get away from it. You give your wife and kids the appearance that you are trying to, however. Better if you don’t do it, I think. Accept that the guys who get the “honor” will be the guys who push the preaching work, which you, by the simple reason of having five kids, will not be able to be in the forefront of. Accept that the guys running the show are “unlearned and ordinary.” They always have been. They always will be. Christianity is a working class religion. Use your considerable talents—evident by the way you conduct yourself—to build up the body of the Christ. If you are outside the congregation arrangement, then in the eyes of your wife and kids, the body doesn’t know where you are. You are like a severed member.
    • The scores of branch office buildings, hundreds of Assembly Halls, and tens of thousands of Kingdom Halls around the world provide tangible proof that God’s Kingdom is real and is now ruling." The GB and JW congregants need to see physical things, because they have no real faith in God, Christ or holy spirit. They are physical 'men'. 1 Corinthians 2 v 14  (NWT.)  " But a physical man does not accept the things of the spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot get to know them, because they are examined spiritually. " How very true this is. So the GB & Co replace it with physical things. Large buildings, Offices, books, magazines, 'carts', and the buying and selling of real estate.  Jesus didn't even have a 'place to lay his head'. Luke 9 v 58 But Jesus said to him: “Foxes have dens and birds of heaven have nests, but the Son of man has nowhere to lay down his head.