The World News Media

124 Columbia Heights in Brooklyn

The Librarian

Russell purchased when he moved his operations to Brooklyn. It belonged to another preacher, Henry Ward Beecher, before he died. Russell also bought his other properties that Beecher had on Hick street, which I guess would be the first assembly hall. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any connection between Russell and Beecher besides Russell just buying all his properties. It seems weird that he would buy that much property from the same person, and for the same purposes. The home on Columbia Heights was called "Beecher Bethel" before Russell bought it. After Russell bought it, it just became "Bethel" of the "House of Bethel".

This picture appeared in the Feb. 20, 1909 edition of The Brooklyn Daily Eagle right after it was sold to Charles Taze Russell.

unnamed.png.6409627bf63e4177069a52c36815

Also, here is the listing that appeared in the paper before it was sold, if you want to know details about the inside. I just found it interesting.unnamed-2.png.0a994f45602238633712ecac8c

Henry Ward Beecher was quite famous in his time, even more so was his daughter Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of Uncle Tom's Cabin.

• Views 430
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Russell purchased when he moved his operations to Brooklyn. It belonged to another preacher, Henry Ward Beecher, before he died. Russell also bought his other properties that Beecher had on Hick stree

Posted Images

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.