Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

The Librarian -
Witness -

Top Posters

Librarian, from what material comes the quotes about the beard? Nit from any wt, I could find, help me out please.

The cited WT, is about war, the article is about shaving, Joseph doing so in Egypt, not about beards. There is no article in the study WT of that year, about beards, help me, I'm as dense as mud on the bottom of the Ohio river. So I could have overlooked your enlighten research, that is why I am asking these questions!

This article was so confusing to me. I'm in southern ohio. I hate shaving. I only do for meetings but since this article I now am letting my beard grow. While at the same time keeping it groomed. Anyone on here having issues in their congregation because of the beard issue. I don't see how it would detract at all from our message since it isn't something that makes you stand out from anyone as a rebel since beards are widely accepted now. Any opinions or help?

• Upvote 4

I suppose it boils down to how you understand the word custom - most dictionaries say things like custom means -:

. A traditional practice or usual way of doing something followed by a social group or people.

a habitual practice; the usual way of acting in given circumstances. See more.

a traditional and widely accepted way of behaving or doing something that is specific to a particular society, place, or time:

I would say in most western parts of the world - there are exceptions - it is not the tradition, habitual practice and so is not the custom for men to have a beard and so the later part of the quote from the watchtower needs to be carefully consider by any brother reaching out for positions of responsibilities in the congregation.

Beards today have become a fashion item for many young men in the congregation and so the society are trying to take a balanced view on the matter and so should we

• Upvote 4

I agree it's not necessarily a Custom to have a beard. But in today's society a beard isn't frowned upon among men or something that sets them apart as rebellious or something else as was in the past. But if a brothers conscious allows him to wear a neatly groomed beard then I see no reason to fault him for it or hold it against him in thinking he is not trying to remain modest. I prefer a beard and look better with one. Shaving also causes me to break out and face to burn. So I prefer not to. But I don't want to stand out as someone rebelling against the congregation so I'm stuck in guess. Hopefully the brothers will be accepting of beards soon 

• Upvote 4

The measuring stick on all aspects of dress and grooming as always been - how are brothers and sisters are portrayed in the societies literature - who get used at the assemblies and conventions for parts on the platform and other privileges

Now i have been in the truth 35 years and as of yet i have never seen a modern day brother with beard portrayed in those areas of service - maybe one day we will but until that happens there will always be ones who feel beards are unacceptable and i would encourage any one who wants such privileges to think carefully about the choices they make and maybe they will play apart in altering peoples feelings on this issue in their own congregation and i hope that does not sound patronizing

• Upvote 4

@babblings

I do not disagree with you. I was raised a witness and have been baptized 13years now since I was 16. I'm still a youngster lol. And I am always learning. My wife doesn't like my beard so I usually shave it off before meetings. And I'll probably continue to do so for now. I don't want to be the cause for stumbling anyone. Maybe one day things will change until then I'll keep up the fine fight. Thanks everyone. Warm Christian love your brother Damien 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Damiensouthernohio said:

I agree it's not necessarily a Custom to have a beard. But in today's society a beard isn't frowned upon among men or something that sets them apart as rebellious or something else as was in the past. But if a brothers conscious allows him to wear a neatly groomed beard then I see no reason to fault him for it or hold it against him in thinking he is not trying to remain modest. I prefer a beard and look better with one. Shaving also causes me to break out and face to burn. So I prefer not to. But I don't want to stand out as someone rebelling against the congregation so I'm stuck in guess. Hopefully the brothers will be accepting of beards soon 

A  well  groomed  beared  can  looking  so  nice !  Our  young  anointed  Sinti - Brother  has  a  very  short,  small  and  well  groomed  beard...  Its  so  nice,  like  a  small  chain  by  a  younger  Sister ;-)

• Upvote 3

@Queen Esther

Where do u live. I'm in Ohio. In the United States. Only two brothers here have beards and it's been frowned upon. But I have friends in Germany. And Poland. And several have beards there and are serving in congregation. But here if you want to have any privileges you cannot have a bear. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Damiensouthernohio said:

@Queen Esther

Where do u live. I'm in Ohio. In the United States. Only two brothers here have beards and it's been frowned upon. But I have friends in Germany. And Poland. And several have beards there and are serving in congregation. But here if you want to have any privileges you cannot have a bear. 

I  am  from  Germany,  North Germany...  born in  Hamburg - but now living  in  Stade,  We  allowed  here  groomed  beards,  also  by  elders. But  maybe  its  little  different  from  cong. to  cong.

• Upvote 2

That's great. I have a few friends that I made at an international convention from Germany. And Poland. Not sure of the exact area. Yes it varies from congregation to congregation. It's nice to meet you. Maybe I should move to Germany Haha. But not sure that my wife would leave her family. We go to the congregation she grew up in and it is all family here. 

• Upvote 1

September 2016 study issue page 21 paragraph 17. Also, pay attention to Brother Lett's talk in the October broadcast. He speaks about pushing people to a course of action and makes the statement about brothers having the right to wear a beard, but it may not always be advisable. 

Also, look at page 7 of the September 16 study issue. Look at the picture of the two brothers assisting that elderly one with her groceries. Notice anything odd about that brother on the left? That looks suspiciously like a chin beard to me. I did mention it to one of the elders at our KH and he promptly dismissed it as a shadow. 

I looked at the pic. He doesn't have a beard. Though I could see where it could appear that way. And I'll have to watch the broadcast. Haven't watched Oct yet. I'm a month behind

It is No Shave November to highlight Cancer. I'm NOT shaving. I'm itching like crazy, but I'm not shaving.

• Similar Content

• By Queen Esther
      The  CO - class,  learning  in  a  course  in  Bethel  *Mill  Hill*  -
      Left  side  first  is  GB  Brother  Barba !   A  friend-sister  met  him  by  a  New york  Bethel  visit,   she  got  alot  pictures
      That  picture  is  from  the  past  ~  Bro. Barba  is  now  in  Heaven  by  the  others  from  NY.
    • By The Librarian
      except for the sister of course... LOL...
    • By Jack Ryan
      Beards and Special Privileges

Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.

via @Atlantis4  
    • By Queen Esther
      BEARD ?       
      In your region as seen?  We will be reading them  -
      ( photo @ antonito36 )
      ( for  Germany  its  too  much...  not  allowed )    And  in  your  region,  country ?
    • By TrueTomHarley
      I knew Seth Sheepngoats would pull something like this, I knew it! The tip-off should have been when I saw him go into that costume shop.
      He arrived at the Kingdom Hall just like anyone else yesterday. But halfway through the Watchtower Study, he reached into his bag and tied something behind his neck.
      When he emerged, it was with a huge, magnificent Santa Claus beard!
      He is such an idiot!

• By The Librarian
      JW’s are now allowed to have beards and publicly preach. This photo is from the Ukraine. No word yet on the use of man buns. :-)
      Via
    • By James Thomas Rook Jr.
      This continuous, never-ending global controversy has been going on since the 1960's, that I am aware of personally, and even before, when Judge Rutherford PERSONALLY forbade beards among Jehovah's witnesses, with the possible exception of post-menopausel Sisters .... and the Society has never definitively stated ANYTHING. 
      With my usual lack of humor I present the Draft Copy of the December 2016 issue of the Watchtower which showed a Brother shaving on the cover ... it was changed before being distributed, because the Brothers responsible for the VERY GOOD and accurate article ... disappeared mysteriously.
      After you save the file to your hard drive, from the TOOL BAR, be sure to set your ADOBE PDF reader under VIEW to "Reading Mode" and under ZOOM,  "Fit Page" to read it.
      Dec 2016 Watchtower draft article .pdf

• By Jack Ryan
      An official Austria Watchtower delegation meeting with government and religion leaders of that country.

What was the job title of Walter SchneeweiB?
  • Who Was Online   107 Users were Online in the Last 24 Hours   (Most members ever online in 24 hour was 110, last accomplished on .)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Arom
    Newest Member
    Arom

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.