The World News Media

Elders and Ministerial Servants Only Party?

The Librarian

Yesterday our congregation had an "elders and ministerial servants only" party, which really meant they, their wives and their children. I am in a congregation with over 50 brothers who fit this description. I am really disturbed about the trend I am seeing to hold these exclusive parties, especially in view of Jesus' clear direction at Luke 14. I would like to know the opinion of the brothers and sisters in this forum. Does this disturb you? Why or why not, with a scriptural basis.

- Sent in via jw-archive.org

• Views 1.4k
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brothers want to hold a meeting based on spiritual activity related to their assignment such as elders/ministerial servants; elders; pioneers etc.? No problem for me. Private get together between

My husband is not a servant, but that does NOT bother me at all. We invite over so many people to our house that we wouldn't have time to go to a big party.  I'm glad they do it, it is good for their encouragement.  Just like CO's need to be around DO's well, use too anyway, to build them up.  No need to get critical of the brothers who do so much for us!!!

Brothers want to hold a meeting based on spiritual activity related to their assignment such as elders/ministerial servants; elders; pioneers etc.? No problem for me.

Private get together between small group where family heads share spiritual appointment whether pioneers or servants? No problem for me.

Elder/Ministerial servant families only social event? Not for me. I would decline on the basis of para 12 page 9 in the study article in Jan 15 2016 Watchtower alone:

12 Do we extend hospitality to others by inviting them to our home for a meal or for some association and encouragement? We would not need to make elaborate or expensive arrangements to be considered hospitable; nor would we want to invite only those who might repay us in some way. (Luke 10:42; 14:12-14) Our goal should be to encourage, not to impress! ...

Hopefully whoever organises this occasion for over 50 brothers is taking on board all the society's counsel on large social gatherings.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.