The World News Media

Timeline of the 'Light Getting Brighter'

The Librarian

4 hours ago, Anna said:

Sounds like the normal pattern of progress and development such as is made in technology, medicine, science etc...and everything else through the passage of time and history. Such is the limitation of man. So I don’t understand when it comes to spiritual knowledge and understanding, some expect we should comprehend everything suddenly and from day one. And what day would that be? Maybe they can tell us.

That is a good point, however some believe when it comes to the bible, it is a clear cut word of God, no progression needed. 

• Views 8.4k
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(If someone wants to start making a copy of this list in another language topic on here please do...or if I missed something please leave a comment below ) Part of series on: Doctrines

2012 - Gen 49:27. "Benjamin...will divide spoil".  Specfically applied to Esther and Mordecai (Benjaminites) receivingHaman's estate as "spoil". Watchtower, January 1, 2012, p.29. 2012 - Dan 2:44

To The Librarian, this Wikipedia list differs in many parts from our list on the WT Library CDRom, which I will post here: List by Year 1870-1875, soul, ransom, manner of Christ’s return: kr 28

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Matthew9969 said:

That is a good point, however some believe when it comes to the bible, it is a clear cut word of God, no progression needed

The problem is, it's not that clear cut is it? Or rather, our understanding of it isn't, our understanding is progressive, and that's the point. Just like understanding how the body functions was progressive for medicine (and still is).

5 hours ago, Matthew9969 said:

That is a good point, however some believe when it comes to the bible, it is a clear cut word of God, no progression needed. 

I agree with @Anna on this, here but slightly reworded. The Bible is indeed "clear cut" and "no progression" is needed:

Psalm 12:6: "The sayings of Jehovah are pure; they are like silver refined in an earthen furnace, purified seven times."

Man's understanding of the Bible, however, is not clear cut and does need progression.

Men need the right attitude: 

• Ps 25:4 "Make me know your ways, O Jehovah; teach me your paths."

Men need permission:

• Matt 13:11To you it is granted to understand the sacred secrets of the Kingdom of the heavens, but to them it is not granted."

Men need God's holy spirit:

• John 16:13 "However, when that one comes, the spirit of the truth, he will guide you into all the truth"

Men need to learn progressively:

• John 16:12 "“I still have many things to say to you, but you are not able to bear them now."

Men need help from other faithful servants:

• Acts 18:24-26 "A·polʹlos...was an eloquent man who was well-versed in the Scriptures..... had been instructed....... was speaking and teaching accurately.... but ...Pris·cilʹla and Aqʹui·la....explained the way of God more accurately to him."

Even with this, 

Men still fall short:

• Heb. 5:11-12 "..you have become dull in your hearing. For although by now you should be teachers, you again need someone to teach you from the beginning the elementary things of the sacred pronouncements of God.."

Men still go too far:

• 1Cor 4:6 "learn the rule: “Do not go beyond the things that are written,” so that you may not be puffed up with pride, favoring one against the other."

So, men need to maintain the right attitude: 

• Heb 12:5 "“My son, do not belittle the discipline from Jehovah, nor give up when you are corrected by him"

• 1 month later...

Hi. If i may suggest this.

1919 -  FDS was appointed "over all Master's belongings"

2013 -  FDS was not appointed in 1919 but will be in a future

in late 1920 ,Year? - The wicked and sluggish slave refers to anointed ones in the 1914 era who refused to share in the preaching work

2013 -  the “evil slaves” as a class, instead applying it as a hypothetical danger to the composite Faithful Slave, which they say has never become a reality

@Srecko Sostar listed a few faithful and discreet slave teachings; here are a few more.  Still, they don't cover them all.

Russel was considered the “faithful slave”, even up to 1923.

At one point it was taught that Jesus AND/OR the anointed ones were the “faithful slave”.  (1927)

Wt 13/7/15 pp. 20-25 - “Jesus did not say that he would appoint an evil slave. His words here are actually a warning directed to the faithful and discreet slave.”

If these words are a warning, should the possibility be completely dismissed that an evil slave can indeed exist? Presently, the self-assuming governing body says there is no evil slave.    

With this parable, the purported “faithful slave” today has decided to erase a good deal of its application to suit their needs; and only accept Matt 24:45-47 as verifiable scripture – that they fulfill the term, “faithful and discreet”.  In fact, David Splane remarked that the “slave” is not 1900 years old. 

Srecko, I believe you can flush all those ‘old light’ teachings about a faithful slave, down the toilet.  (Matt 7:17-20; John 15:16)

The rest of the matter concerning the faithful slave, Matt 24:48-51, has been discarded.  The GB has proposed a straw man argument to refute Jesus’ warnings of their own debased tactics used against their “fellow servants”.  With one sweep of the hand, individuals, both anointed and those not anointed are disfellowshipped for rejecting “new light”; while the governing body is still considered “faithful and discreet” above and beyond any further established “new light” that they most assuredly will decree.  Matt 5:11,12; Isa 66:5; John 16:2; James 4:12

“New light” is an actual rejection of their own doctrine

This implies that one’s faithfulness is gauged on accepting man’s changing doctrine.  That doctrine appears to carry more validity than God’s scriptures.  Man’s decrees can substitute what Jesus and the apostles have outlined for us. Watchtower doctrine, is a yoke placed on the shoulders of “fellow servants” that is never relieved, but only made heavier. It is the result of the "timeline of the light getting brighter".    Ezek 34:16

“King Rehoboam took counsel with the old men, who had stood before Solomon his father while he yet lived, saying, “What counsel do you give me to return answer to this people?”

They spoke to him, saying, “If you are kind to this people, and please them, and speak good words to them, then they will be your servants forever.”

But he abandoned the counsel of the old men which they had given him, and took counsel with the young men who had grown up with him, who stood before him.  He said to them, “What counsel do you give, that we may return answer to this people, who have spoken to me, saying, ‘Make the yoke that your father put on us lighter?’”

The young men who had grown up with him spoke to him, saying, “Thus you shall tell the people who spoke to you, saying, ‘Your father made our yoke heavy, but make it lighter on us;’ thus you shall say to them, ‘My little finger is thicker than my father’s waist.  Now whereas my father burdened you with a heavy yoke, I will add to your yoke. My father chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions.’”

Is this not true with the Wt. changes of who is the “faithful slave”?  It has come to the point that the  anointed now must listen to seven men, not to Christ individually. They also must obey an army of elders. God’s anointed people are treated as imbeciles who are unable to discern truth on their own, contrary to every scripture that refers to their ability to do so. James 1:5; John 14:26; 1 John 2:20,21

Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, -  not from men who blame Jesus for imperfect food; which in reality is faulty, uninspired doctrine.

for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  Matt 11:28-30

Scorpions; they are found in Revelation, combined with plaguing locusts, and who are released by the false prophet, “Wormwood”, to torment God’s anointed ones. Watchtower refers to the locust/scorpions as missionaries who bring a “stinging message” to the world.  Has any person contacted in the “preaching work” felt that the message presented by JWs, “stings”?  The locust/scorpions torment the anointed, who have not been sealed by God, (Rev 9:4,5) which indicates the source of this tormenting army comes from within the Watchtower.  (Rev 7:3,4)

Revelation “signifies” this torment (Rev 1:1); not as physical, but as an emotional turmoil; yet, the emotional can superimpose onto the physical, creating “significant” upheaval in the mind and heart of anointed ones, as well as their brethren. Rev 9:6; Matt 24:9,21; Luke 21:12,13; James 2:6; John 16:2; Rev 13:15  An “evil slave” uses the locust-scorpion/elder body to carry out this torment against the anointed ones; through teachings, rules of obedience, and subsequent disfellowshipping for speaking against doctrine. Isa 9:15,16; Matt 24:48,49; Rev 9:3-6;13:7  

JWs, if there is one doctrine that you may disagree with, are you ever soothed by Watchtower’s words to continue to obey without question, or does it always nag the conscience; that is, if we exercise our God-given conscience? 

If the Governing Body, whom we remember is not inspired, can call itself with determination that it is the “faithful and discreet slave”; then according to scripture, it is a valid claim that anointed who are actually inspired, and who have experienced the “beating” by the Governing Body and their henchmen, can confidently address them, as the “evil slave”. 

Which anointed ones have God’s blessing? They are those who listen to, and can hear ,Jesus Christ, their true and only Master, through the guidance of Holy Spirit.  They are not the showy ones, not “prominent”, and not highly esteemed; but neither was Jesus.  Matt 25:40; James 2:2-4; 1 Cor 1:26-29

This split among the anointed ones; the segregation of those who love only truth in Christ from those who prefer the “new light” from an evil slave, was prophesied to occur during the last days.  2 Thess 2:1-12.  When an anointed one upholds Christ, the evil slave cannot tolerate such dissension.  They are disfellowshipped – spiritually “killed”. They suffer for their testimony of Christ.   Luke 22:31; Rev 13:7,10,15; Rev 12:17,11; Mark 10:29-31; John 12:25

“Dear friends, don’t be surprised when the fiery ordeal comes among you to test you as if something unusual were happening to you.  Instead, rejoice as you share in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may also rejoice with great joy when his glory is revealed.  If you are ridiculed for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. Let none of you suffer as a murderer, a thief, an evildoer, or a meddler.  But if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed but let him glorify God in having that name.  For the time has come for judgment to begin with God’s household, (1 Pet 2:5; Eph 2:20-22; Heb 10:21)  and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who disobey the gospel of God?” 1 Pet 4:12-17

On 3/28/2016 at 7:22 PM, The Librarian said:

But Jehovah God has also provided his visible organization, his 'faithful and discreet slave,' made up of spirit anointed ones, to help Christians in all nations to understand and apply properly the Bible in their lives.

Old light.  No longer is the "slave" determined to be all anointed ones.  

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, JW Insider said:

@Gone Away, I don't get it. It's actually much harder to be a back-seat driver when you are not in the same car.

That's the beauty of interpretation. It depends on how you look at it xD

How I am looking at it is from the drivers point of view.  I am assuming the backseat driver is mostly useless, because he can't see properly  (it's a lot easier to be useless than useful), but he may have the odd useful remark or reminder. But when he is not even in the car, how useful can he be then. He is totally useless and it's easy for him to be that way.

On 3/7/2016 at 12:29 AM, The Librarian said:

Biblical infallibility. Early copies of Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence made reference to the Bible as God's "infallible Word".[71] (this has slightly changed in 2015)

This is supposedly a doctrine that has been unchanged since 1879, and it's mostly right. But look at the following quote from the Watch Tower, April 1, 1920, p.103:

• "The Finished Mystery," as one of the series of seven previously announced by Brother Russell. The doctrines therein set forth are in exact harmony with those announced by the other six. That it contains some mistakes is freely admitted. Even the Bible contains some.

Here is another from the Watch Tower April 15, 1928, p. 126:

• QUESTION: Is it proper for those who have been in the truth only a short while to go out and sell the Society's books? . . . Sometimes a member of a class will refuse to engage in the canvassing for the books because there are some mistakes in the books, and says his conscience will not permit him to put books in which there are mistakes into the hands of the people. Of course this is another method that the enemy adopts to confuse the minds and furnish an excuse for not being faithful to the Lord. As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible and there never has been a book written yet that is perfect that has been written by any human hand. . . .Those who engage in the service work are not supposed to stand on the street and preach, nor to give a technical explanation of the Scriptures.