Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Jack Ryan -
Srecko Sostar -

Top Posters

Yes Jay that is what we stated back then. Did you have a specific question about that year in particular?

In the meantime here is the information from the wiki:

1975 C.E. Watchtower Publications
Yeartext: “I will say to Jehovah: ‘You are my refuge and my stronghold.’”—Ps. 91:2.
"Divine Sovereignty" District Assemblies held in the United States, Canada, British Isles, Chile, Greece, El Salvador, and Portugal. [1,880,713 publishers with 207 countries reporting in 1974, 13.5% increase over the 1973 service year, 34,576 congregations.] see w75 vol., pgs. 24-27.

Yearbook

Hello guest!

Hello guest!

• Hello guest!
    • Hello guest!

Hello guest!

gc * Is There a God Who Cares?
ml * There Is Much More to Life!
og * One World, One Government, Under God’s Sovereignty
    Hello guest!

Kingdom News #20 - Would You Welcome Some Good News?
Kingdom News #21 - Your Future - Shaky or Secure?

February 1975 - Time in Which We Are Now Interested - Talk by Frederick W. Franz

Talks from 1975

"Hope" does not equal "prediction" of 1975 as some opposers try to claim.

Frederick W. Franz and September 5, 1975

A perfect answer for ridiculers

A 1968 BBC Interview of a Bethel representative about 1975

"Hope vs. Prediction"?

Let's recap... 

"Does God's rest day parallel the time man has been on earth since his creation? Apparently so. In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of Gods rest day come to an end? The year 1975. It means that within a relatively few years we will witness the fulfillment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the "time of the end"." Awake! 1966 Oct 8 pp.19-20 

"It did not take the brothers very long to find the chart beginning on page 31, showing that 6,000 years of man's existence end in 1975. Discussion of 1975 overshadowed about everything else. "The new book compels us to realize that Armageddon is, in fact, very close indeed," said a conventioner. Surely it was one of the outstanding blessings to be carried home!" .. Brother Franz. 'Does it mean that Armageddon is going to be finished, with Satan bound, by 1975? It could! It could! All things are possible with God. Does it mean that Babylon the Great is going to go down by 1975? It could. Does it mean that the attack of Gog of Magog is going to be made on Jehovah's witnesses to wipe them out, then Gog himself will be put out of action? It could. But we are not saying. All things are possible with God. But we are not saying. And don't any of you be specific in saying anything that is going to happen between now and 1975. But the big point of it all is this, dear friends: Time is short. Time is running out, no question about that." Watchtower 1966 Oct 15 pp.629,631 

"Well now, as Jehovah's Witnesses, as runners, even though some of us have become a little weary, it almost seems as though Jehovah has provided meat in due season. Because he's held up before all of us, a new goal. A new year. Something to reach out for and it just seems it has given all of us so much more energy and power in this final burst of speed to the finish line. And that's the year 1975. Well, we don't have to guess what the year 1975 means if we read the Watchtower. And don't wait 'till 1975. The door is going to be shut before then. As one brother put it, "Stay alive to Seventy-Five"" - 1967 District Convention, Wisconsin Sheboygan District Overseer Brother Charles Sunutko

"The immediate future is certain to be filled with climactic events, for this old system is nearing its complete end.Within a few years at most the final parts of Bible prophecy relative to these "last days" will undergo fulfillment." Watchtower 1968 May 1 p.272

"With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting-in Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man's existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. ... Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility ." Watchtower 1980 Mar 15 p.17

aVM7FeFdq6P5UgCWSTvws0-hZcrJSj1_xG0jdXfu-Ps.jpg

and for the pièce de ré·sis·tance:

"True, there have been those in times past who predicted an 'end to the world,' even announcing a specific date. Yet nothing happened. The 'end' did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing?...Missing from such people were God's truths and evidence that he was using and guiding them," (Awake, Oct. 8, 1968).

there is always a reason, why some things are happening, even when we do not understand that. 

even there is a reason why this FORUM keeps "running" even though we do not understand why or why so many languages in this forum.

An anniversary or a birth date is not a prophecy unless someone makes it into one. And we can certainly see why someone may come to the conclusion that the doctor was right about the "due date" but the baby may still be "delayed" after that date. There is nothing wrong with being prepared for its birth on the due date. You don't stop waiting after that date do you as if the baby is no longer coming? 1975 was a time marker marking 6,000 years from Adam's creation. That due date was known. Eve's creation was obviously long after that since Adam said when she arrived "this is AT LAST bone of my bones". So a long time had elapsed from Adam' viewpoint. Interestingly Eve's date was also KNOWN - therefore the "day and hour that is unknown is not dependent on these time markers since the angels were all present for both events. Since the Great Tribulation is not a moment in time but a period of time could the day and hour that the angels do not know be the "BEGINNING of the great tribulation" {the attack on religion} rather than the end of it which would be Armageddon? This is my "opinion". {Whether Eve's creation was or was not the end of that creative day is not the point as the angels would know when that was since they were present either way}. {In case no one has noticed MOST of the time the Watchtower Society has mentioned the day and hour it has referenced the "Beginning" of the GT not just Armageddon since our understanding now is a period of time to elapse as in a "first phase and second phase" to the GT}. :D

As for brothers selling things to simplify your life for greater service to God is very commendable as my family did in 1975 and before likewise and we benefited from that decision with increased spirituality and awareness of our place in the stream of time {sense of urgency}. Of course everyone is different and some will inevitably take things to far. Again that is their "opinion" or "choice". No one forced my family or others to simplify their lives. But the Bible clearly shows that is a proper thing to do in this system no matter how long we have to wait for the final end. Live as tho the end is coming tomorrow but plan as if it is not.

52 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

"Beware, my brothers. In the last days there will be false apostates among you."

Oh it's just vomit dog being bored. And like a naughty bored child he's looking for attention through engaging in outrageous behaviour. This of course will get him the wrong kind of attention because as soon as @The Librarianreturns from sipping Margaritas by the pool, he will find himself out on his rear, I mean ear. For now, he is just collecting more negative points....

2 hours ago, Anna said:

This of course will get him the wrong kind of attention because as soon as @The Librarianreturns from sipping Margaritas by the pool, he will find himself out on his rear, I mean ear.

I have never known her to return from sipping Margaritas by the pool. Somebody will have to fetch her.

Besides, everyone gets a free 'end of the world' card per lifetime. It is like a 'Get out of Jail Free' card. You don't whine when your opponent draws one. It's how the game is played.

Once a lifetime is within acceptable limits for tolerance if you truly are doing what Jesus said to 'keep on the watch.'

A quote from the past.

Did the Organization of Jehovah's Witnesses Ever Say That Armageddon Was Definitely Going to Come In 1975?

1975.jpg

It is an absolute lie to claim that the Witnesses said that Armageddon would come in 1975. Here is an article from *1974* that I carry around with me which shows what mature Witnesses knew and were saying:

"The publications of Jehovah's Witnesses have shown that, according to Bible chronology, it appears that 6,000 years of man's existence will be completed in the mid-1970's. But these publications HAVE NEVER SAID THAT THE WORLD'S END WOULD COME THEN. Nevertheless, there has been considerable individual speculation on the matter. So the assembly presentation "Why We Have Not Been Told ‘That Day and Hour'" was very timely. It emphasized that we do not know the exact time when God will bring the end."--w74 10/15 p. 635

You will notice that this appeared in the Watchtower at the end of 1974 and it was referring to what all Witnesses heard at their conventions that summer. So the facts are that anyone who was saying that Armageddon was definitely going to come by 1975 just was not listening carefully. They were doing what critics still do; rip statements out of context and selectively choose only what they want out of the literature.

I was baptized in 1966 so I was there in 1975 and it had absolutely no effect on me nor anyone in my very large family. The reason that it had no effect on 99.9% of Witnesses is because most were listening to what was really being said and not speculating. They were NOT saying that the end would come in 1975.

The truth is that from the start of discussions on 1975, JWs were told not to speculate on what may or may not happen. For some, it was a real test as to why they were JWs. Was it because of a date to save their necks or were they JWs because they loved and appreciated the Truth and Jehovah?

The year 1975 can be calculated from the prophecies in Daniel and confirmed by the events foretold by Christ. This interpretation is in complete agreement with standard rules of exegesis. So the Witnesses’ teaching on 1975 and our being in the “end times” of wicked human society is completely scriptural.

What was said by Witnesses in the ‘60's and ‘70's is still true: the end is still near and we should live our lives performing “holy acts of conduct and deeds of godly devotion, awaiting and keeping close in mind the presence of the day of Jehovah” (2Pet.3:11,12).

From 1914 onward, ALL the facets of the "sign" denoting the “end times” have escalated to an unprecedented degree worldwide (Mt.24:3ff). No other time in history has seen all these things come on one generation in such overwhelming measure. Combining this with the Bible chronology’s pointing to 1975 being about 6,000 years since man’s creation proves beyond any doubt that the world has entered its time of the end!

There seems to be a disconnect between what people actually thought about 1975 in the eyes of the world....

6 hours ago, Noble Berean said:

JWs didn't get the 1975 theory out of thin air

Sorry mate! I do believe they did! Or do you think that those who take the lead in shepherding the flock are not JWs?

We are 42 years down the line here.

It's equivalent to brothers in 1967 still harping on about the "princes" not coming back in 1925! Oh sorry, there are still people harping on about that now and that was 92 years ago!

I was there in 1975 and I knew then a lot of people who were there in 1925. We had 11 anointed in the congregation, 5 of them dedicated prior to 1914.

I never heard one of them gripe over dates or disappointment, but all of them expected the great tribulation "tomorrow". They have all gone now, but they were faifhful to their end.

I just fail to see an issue with excitement over the slightest possibility, imagined or otherwise, that the end of this system could be upon us. In fact, surely in harmony with the topic, that is one of the things a person has to do to survive Armageddon?

Speaking of the impending time of judgement in Habbakuk's time, Jehovah clearly stated: "Keep in expectation of it!" Hab 2:3

"Shepherding the flock" ? Huh! More like "herding cats"!

Herding cats.jpg

1975 was and is a forcing, as it was a forcing in 1925 and it is a forcing even another date that I can not mention otherwise someone will shout "Blaspheme!".
1975 should not be calculated by Daniel or even by other biblical books.
However, the very important event to keep an eye was (and is) the suppression of the constant sacrifice by the king of the north (Russia).

Obviously we can not know if what happened on April 20, 2017 is really the event described in the Bible (there have been other "suppression" in Russia) but it is clear that we must pay attention.

From the suppression of the continuous sacrifice up to Armageddon, it is at most a certain number of years but be careful: I am not saying that you will know the exact day and hour - Matthew 24:36

If the beginning of the suppression is what happened in Russia on 20 April 2017, we will only understand if the preaching work will be banned in all the colonies of the former Soviet Union (before) and then in the rest of the world.
And of course, the war between the southern king and the king of the north must also burst.
And he must win the king of the north.

Be careful not to be terrified because these things have to happen but it is not yet the end.

However, from the suppression of the constant sacrifice to the Armageddon War, they go no more than 13 years (maybe less, but not more).

How do you know this without colliding with Matthew 24:36?
Pay attention to prophecy

• Similar Content

• Guest Nicole
    • By Witness
      “Nourishing Spiritual Food”? 
      I cannot advocate the website listed at the end of this short video, as I haven’t gone there.  Also I do not see verification that the money from the sale of houses, properties and goods was given to the Watchtower at that time period.  But I will not dismiss the large possibility.  What is important about this video, is hearing how 1975 was truly proclaimed from the source; quite contrary to how the 2017 convention presented it: 
      “…you see, back then, some were looking to a certain date as signifying the end of this old system of things. A few, even went so far as selling their homes and quitting their jobs. (km 5/1974)"
      “But the prophet who speaks a word presumptuously in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.” 
       You may say in your heart, “How shall we know the word which Yahweh has not spoken?”  When a prophet speaks in Yahweh’s name, if the thing doesn’t follow, nor happen, that is the thing which Yahweh has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You shall not be afraid of him.              Deut 18:20-22
      “This is what the LORD of Hosts says: "Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you. They are making you worthless. They speak visions from their own minds, not from the LORD's mouth.”  Jer 23:16
      “Behold, I am against the prophets, says Yahweh, who use their tongues, and say, He says. 32 Behold, I am against those who prophesy lying dreams, says Yahweh, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their vain boasting: yet I didn’t send them, nor commanded them; neither do they profit this people at all, says Yahweh.”  Jer 23:31-32
      If we claim to read God's Word and live by it, then God's Word should help us distinguish truth from lies.  Matt 3:10

• By The Librarian
      by District Overseer Charles Sinutko (Sheboygan – 1967)

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Haga clic
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. para descargar el archivo 
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Despertad_1975-10-22.pdf

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Minister of the Jehovah's Witnesses aid in the baptism of some of the 524 converts to the faith in a pool set up at Belmont Park Race Track. The baptism is a high-light of the four-day Witnesses Divine Sovereignty assembly, which ends tomorrow. August 08, 1975. (Photo by Nury Hernandez/New York Post Archives / (c) NYP Holdings, Inc. via Getty Images)
    • By Jesus.defender
      1888 "In this chapter we present the Bible evidence proving that the full end of the times of the gentiles, i.e., the full end of their lease of dominion, will be reached in A.D. 1914; and that the date will be the farthest limit of the rule of imperfect men. And be it observed, that if this is shown to be a fact firmly established by the Scriptures, it will prove; Firstly, that at that date the Kingdom of God, for which our Lord taught us to pray, saying, Thy Kingdom come, will obtain full, universal control, and that it will then be set up, or firmly established, in the earth, on the ruins of present institutions." (The Time Is At Hand, 1888, p. 76, 77)

1968 "'Adam Created At Close Of 'Sixth Day' Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man's existence coincides with the Sabbath-like thousand-year reign of Christ....It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years.' (Watchtower, Aug. 15, 1968, p. 499)

• By Jesus.defender
      If the organization did not actually prophesy the end in 1925 and 1975, then how come so many Witnesses left the faith immediately afterwards? ("They lost roughly three-quarters of the movement between 1925 and 1928, then suffered huge losses after 1975, when the end didn't come as they had implied over and over again," said Jim Penton, an ex-Witness who writes entries on Jehovah's Witnesses for the Encyclopedia Americana.)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ruben Jimenez
    Newest Member
    Ruben Jimenez

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.