The World News Media

1975 and the Jehovah's Witnesses

Jack Ryan

54 minutes ago, Gone Fishing said:

It must be a "British" thing. As far as my limited experience goes, we were just not swayed by American hysteria on this matter. We took no notice of end date statements. Maybe we were ALL APOSTATE!!! :o

You might be on to something, after all, they were chastised for wearing tight pants.....and what about all those beards...those wayward Brits..

• Views 17.8k
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have not made it a secret that I think we are currently hurtling toward the same problem we created for ourselves in the 1970's. Therefore, I think it's very important that we don't forget this part

It is quite weird really. Cognitive dissonance perhaps? Just recently I listened to one of the old recordings. The "infamous" talk given by District overseer Charles Sinutko, where the phrase “st

So in May 1974 you were commended if you sold your homes and property. In 2017 if you were one of those that sold your home and property you were weak and dedicated to "a date". The mind bog

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Friends do not require apologies

Just candor and honesty will do...thanks

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:
4 hours ago, JW Insider said:

(This, of course, got the writer, R.L., dismissed from Bethel, even though he continued working for the Writing Dept.)

This makes no sense to me. If he was dismissed for his renegade writing, why was he retained as a writer?

That's what I wondered......

4 hours ago, JW Insider said:
5 hours ago, Anna said:

I was hoping that the reason why 1975 was brought up again (at convention) was because it was a reminder that the Slave err, and that some of the new things i.e. the OVERLAPPING GENERATION theory was perhaps to be treated with caution.

I have my doubts that this was the lesson. But you never know.

I was actually being sarcastic, because with Br. Herd's assurance that we NOW know the correct understanding of the generation, my theory about treating the overlapping generation with caution was wrong....regrettably...

If you are a Weatherman, and consistently wrong about predicting the weather ... I mean EVERY TIME consistent, you get fired and they toss your sorry butt out onto the asphalt.

Unfortunately there is no one on this Earth to toss the Governing Body ....

Their belated and forced admission that they were "not infallible, or inspired of God" was perhaps the understatement of the past 120 years.

I still prefer Jehovah's Witnesses for many reasons, and it might take a bit to get your mind wrapped around this idea, but here goes .....

You don't fight a war for righteousness with the Army you want .... you fight a war for righteousness with the Army YOU HAVE!

The Polish Army during WWII went against German Tanks  on horses, with horse drawn cannon, and fought like the Napoleonic Wars were fought ... and they were massacred.

BUT THEY DID FIGHT!

...same thing.

3 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

This makes no sense to me. If he was dismissed for his renegade writing, why was he retained as a writer?

From one viewpoint,  a renegade writer can STILL write ... and knows where "the bodies are buried".

From his viewpoint, he usually wants to eat three times a day, and not sleep in the snow.

Quid Pro Quo

7 hours ago, Anna said:

The question has been raised on here, what was the purpose of bringing up 1975 again at the last (2017) convention, and then some theories as to why.

I think it is an attempt to put the issue to bed by people who are dumbfounded that their was of framing it is not as clear to everyone as it is to them.

Many comments from those disgruntles assume an us versus them mentality - the boss class dictating to the worker class. I honestly do not think they look at it that way. I honestly do not think it is that way. I think it is the way of Matthew 23:8-10:

But you, do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your Teacher, and all of you are brothers. ...Neither be called leaders, for your Leader is one, the Christ.  

They do not view themselves as leaders, but as fellow brothers who are taking the lead. There is a difference. The leader is Christ.

When they say "some brothers thought such-and-such" they mean themselves as much as any in the ranks. They do not draw a distinction between themselves and the rest of the brotherhood. Having floated the idea, which was valid due to the 6000 years, they did not push it unduly. If they had pushed it, all district overseers would have pushed it, not just Sunitko and a few like-minded zealots. There is plenty of 'blame' to go around. It is enough to say: "some brothers thought..."

The way they view it, and the way we do well to view it, is the spiritual way of Matthew 23. The way some here view it seems to me the fleshly way: the bossman class dictating to the worker class.

5 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:
10 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

so, in late 1974, I "caved in", and quit my job in Zaire, the Congo, and flew back home to Virginia to be with my parents when the "end came". 

You should have stayed where you were. The end did come in 1975 but only in Zaire.

No TTH... it didn't.

"The End" did NOT come anywhere .... in 1975.

If it had .....  we all would have noticed.

5 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:
5 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:
10 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

so, in late 1974, I "caved in", and quit my job in Zaire, the Congo, and flew back home to Virginia to be with my parents when the "end came". 

You should have stayed where you were. The end did come in 1975 but only in Zaire.

Read more  

No TTH... it didn't.

"The End" did NOT come anywhere .... in 1975.

If it had .....  we all would have noticed.

1) funny side of comments is funny 

2) serious side is not funny - every day The End comes for someone's life 

3) ............................................................... ( future will add some brilliant thought on No. 3) :)))))

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.