The World News Media

What is Depression?

io.porog

Depression is more than just a fleeting downer. We all have downers but they usually short lived. However, when a downer lasts several weeks, it is likely that a person has clinical depression. One's perception of themselves, others and their environment becomes noticeably negative and it can be very hard for a person to lift themselves out of the mire. Telling them to snap out of it, or that it is temporary often has the reverse effect desired. Often just a very patient listening ear is the best treatment that I've found with friends who suffer from depression. What do you think depression is? How do think it should be viewed? What do you think can help a person recover?

• Views 1.9k
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Comfort for the Brokenhearted This compassionate God promises: “I reside . . . with the one crushed and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly ones and to revive the heart of the ones

Don't let fear and anger, grief, worry, stress take over your body....they destroy the body! - We have a resting place with Jehovah! - The wicked will be shown up! - We need to Pray for deliverance an

Posted Images

Oh,  thats  very  difficult!  Everyone  has  other  problems.... I  had  more  persons  for  helping....  its  really  not  so  easy !  But  with love  and  listen,  we  can  hear  alot  and  helping  too !   DEPRESSION  is  a   very  special  sickness...  needs  alot  sensibility  -  I  am  a  person,  feeling  that  -  but  for  others  in  a  cong  its  more  complicated.....

Comfort for the Brokenhearted

This compassionate God promises: “I reside . . . with the one crushed and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly ones and to revive the heart of the ones being crushed.” (Isaiah 57:15)

“Jehovah is near.” One reference work says that this phrase is “an expressive way of saying that the Lord is attentive and watchful, always ready to help and to save his people.” It is reassuring to know that Jehovah watches over his people. He sees what they are going through in these “critical times,” and he knows their innermost feelings. (2 Timothy 3:1; Acts 17:27)

“Those that are broken at heart.” In some cultures, “a broken heart” has reference to unrequited love. But the psalmist’s words refer to “more general grief and sorrow,” says one scholar. Yes, even faithful worshippers of God may at times experience extreme hardships that break their heart.

“Those who are crushed in spirit.” Discouraged ones may become so low in their own eyes that they momentarily lose all hope. A handbook for Bible translators says that this expression may be rendered “those who have nothing good to look forward to.”

How does Jehovah respond to those who are “broken at heart” and “crushed in spirit”? Does he keep distant from them, feeling that they are unworthy of his love and attention? 

On the contrary! Like a loving parent who holds and comforts a child in distress, Jehovah is near to his worshippers who cry out to him for help. He is eager to comfort and soothe their broken heart and crushed spirit. He can give them the wisdom and strength needed to cope with any trials they may face.
(2 Corinthians 4:7; James 1:5)
www.jw.org

image.jpeg

Don't let fear and anger, grief, worry, stress take over your body....they destroy the body! - We have a resting place with Jehovah! - The wicked will be shown up! - We need to Pray for deliverance and put it in Jehovah's hands....He says: "They will do no harm nor cause any ruin in all my holy mountain,” Jehovah has said. This is what Jehovah has said: “The heavens are my throne, and the earth is my footstool."

(1 Peter 3:10-18) . . .For, “he that would love life and see good days, let him restrain his tongue from what is bad and [his] lips from speaking deception, 11 but let him turn away from what is bad and do what is good; let him seek peace and pursue it. 12 For [the] eyes of Jehovah are upon the righteous ones, and his ears are toward their supplication; but [the] face of Jehovah is against those doing bad things.” 13 Indeed, who is the man that will harm YOU if YOU become zealous for what is good? 14 But even if YOU should suffer for the sake of righteousness, YOU are happy."
However, the object of their fear do not YOU fear, neither become agitated. 15 But sanctify the Christ as Lord in YOUR hearts, always ready to make a defense before everyone that demands of YOU a reason for the hope in YOU, but doing so together with a mild temper and deep respect. 16 Hold a good conscience, so that in the particular in which YOU are spoken against they may get ashamed who are speaking slightingly of YOUR good conduct in connection with Christ. 17 For it is better to suffer because YOU are doing good, if the will of God wishes it, than because YOU are doing evil. 18 Why, even Christ died once for all time concerning sins, a righteous [person] for unrighteous ones, that he might lead YOU to God, he being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit."

(Isaiah 65:24-66:2) . . .And it will actually occur that before they call out I myself shall answer; while they are yet speaking, I myself shall hear. 25 “The wolf and the lamb themselves will feed as one, and the lion will eat straw just like the bull; and as for the serpent, his food will be dust. They will do no harm nor cause any ruin in all my holy mountain,” Jehovah has said. 66 This is what Jehovah has said: “The heavens are my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where, then, is the house that YOU people can build for me, and where, then, is the place as a resting-place for me?” 2 “Now all these things my own hand has made, so that all these came to be,” is the utterance of Jehovah. “To this one, then, I shall look, to the one afflicted and contrite in spirit and trembling at my word." 
www.jw.org

image.jpeg