Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nicole

Is it ok to play Pokémon Go at the Kingdom Hall and/or Bethel?

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Guest Nicole -
Guest Nicole -

Top Posters

• Guest 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 4Jah2me
      Point 1. I really do laugh at this term "Only game in town"   As I've said before the JEWISH RELIGIOUS LEADERS would have said that serving God by obeying THEM and the Mosaic Law, was the only game in town. Jesus however proved those Religious leaders to be wrong. Jesus and his disciples carried over the good points of the Mosaic Law and discarded the bits no longer needed. (Such as animal sacrifices, circumcision etc). 
      Russell & Co came out of former religions. I presume they must have carried over some good points from those former religions, then made adjustments or changed doctrines.
      So why would it not be possible for people that have left the JW Org to form a new religion ?  Carrying over the good and disposing of the bad, of which there seems to be plenty....
      I'm not saying it will happen but it does dispose of this idea of 'the only game in town' brainwashing. JW's seem to be taught that there cannot be anything else ever. What if Russell had believed that, the Bible Students would have never been formed. 
      Point 2.  The 'Truth' / JW Org.
      As I read more and more on here I am finding out that the Governing Body / Writing Dept'  / Legal Dept' et al,  have deliberately told many lies.
      The latest I'm reading (on a new topic on here) but the info stems back a while, seems to contain information whereby the 'Org' / those in charge at the time, implied, that children cannot get baptised, and that blood transfusions were acceptable to the Organisation. It seems that this was written in order to get favours from a certain government. 
      Both of those things are lies but seem to be deliberately used for some form of dishonest gain.
      Then of course we have lawyers telling lies in court about shunning. 
      And C.S.A court cases have proved that elders and others have deliberately lied. And the American 'section' of the JW Org deliberately withholding information regarding such matters.
      Link this to misuse of scriptures, such as, Superior Authorities, which deliberately took away people's conscience / freedom of choice, in WW2.
      And I'm sure people here can come up with lots more examples of lies, deliberate wrongdoing, mistakes, misinterpretations, 'new light' corrections et al.
      Why am i writing all this ?  Well I am proving two points. 
      1. If it's your 'only game in town' then it's not a good one. 
      2. That calling it 'The Truth' is totally deceptive.
      I do not think you would like it if I gave you a meal that was three quarters yummy, but a quarter poison. The poison might well contaminate the good food !
      So, saying that the Org / GB are three quarters right does not help. 

• By Witness
      A message from a former Bethelite.

• By James Thomas Rook Jr.
      Is it fair?

Is it FAIR.wmv
    • By TheWorldNewsOrg
      via .ORGWorld News
    • By Jack Ryan
      Do not complain at Bethel exjw.mp4
    • By The Librarian
      No tongue have I, nor mouth, nor lip, a speech I cannot make
      But if I could, the things I'd say, would long, long hours take!

For I was born to fill a need, in answer to a callAnd those who brought me forth to live, have named me Kingdom Hall.

So I've a royal name you see, and royal was my birthI'm here for service to a King, I hope I prove my worth!

I want so much to be just right. To suit the need I fillTo aid in service of Kingdom Truth, to people of good will

Oh give me lips and mouth and tongue, and let me tell to all,The reason why I'm standing here, why I'm called a Kingdom Hall

But what's a Kingdom Hall you ask? You mean you haven't heard?Why I'm the place where all may come, and freely learn God's word

No, I'm no church, don't get me wrong, I have no pews or steepleAnd never will collection plates be used to milk the people

The things you'll hear within my walls will not be false traditionYou'll never hear that Hell is hot, for that's a contradiction!

Nor will the pagan idea of God, who's three in oneEver be preached beneath my roof; such doctrines you should shun

But rather, here inside my doors you'll learn things reliableBecause they'll be taken from a truthful source, God's word, the Holy Bible!

You'll learn how Jehovah God intends to rid the earth of all it's woes;Destroy it's sorrow, sin and death; all mankind's deadly foes

Then in their place will blossom forth, a world of truth and loveAn earth where God's will shall be done; just as in heaven above

There'll be no sickness, pain or death, no tear to mar the smileNo one will then bring grief and strife; no Devil will beguile

But those who live in the new system will humbly bow the kneeBefore Jehovah God who reigns in Grand Supremacy

This is part of what you'll hear within these walls of mineBut more than that you'll learn just how to make this light to shine!

And that's the point I want to stress, which may seem rather oddThat I'm not built just as a place in which to worship God

So here it is you'll learn of Jehovah God; to know what is his willTo learn what he requires of you, his laws how to fulfill

To worship God means more than sit and listen to God's wordIt means to act; to serve; to preach, to all who have not heard

Outside my doors, amidst the world, you must hold forth the lightYou must apply what you here learn, to worship God aright

How great my joy I want to shout; My privelege is so rareYou other buildings of the earth, cannot with me compare

If I could speak, I'd raise my voice and make all buildings knowThat my importance excels theirs, for from me truth will flow

So listen, All you structures proud, you giants of steel and stoneYour tops may scrape a scuddling cloud or soar where Eagles have flown

Your cornerstone may have been laid by worldly men of fameBut you can not boast, That you've been made to praise Jehovah's name!!!
      Author: Unknown
    • By James Thomas Rook Jr.
      (New news ....)  A MONTANA Judge Orders Jehovah’s Witnesses to Turn Over Internal Documents Related to Childhood Sexual Abuse
      April 12, 2018

On April 5, 2018, Judge James Manley of Sanders County, Montana ordered the Jehovah’s Witnesses religious organization to produce documents and testimony related to internal reports and investigations into the childhood sexual abuse of NPR’s two clients.

In this case, the two Plaintiffs were sexually abused as children by a member of the Jehovah’s Witnesses. The Elders in the local Jehovah’s Witness congregation in Thompson Falls, Montana were aware of the abuse and failed to report it to the police, choosing instead to handle the reports and investigations internally pursuant to Jehovah’s Witness guidelines. Their decision not to report the abuse to authorities allowed the perpetrator to remain in the congregation and continue to abuse one of the Plaintiffs.

Throughout this case, and similar childhood sexual abuse cases across the country, the Jehovah’s Witnesses have refused to produce documents related to their internal handling of reports of sexual abuse and related investigations and disciplinary actions claiming that the information is protected by the clergy-penitent privilege and the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Through briefing to the court, NPR convinced the Judge that Defendants’ privilege claims were unsupported and improper under the law. The Court agreed that Defendants could not blanket everything related to their investigations in secrecy and that they must turn it over to the Plaintiffs. Often, this is the very evidence that can win or lose a case like this against a religious institution.

The case of Nunez, et al. v. Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York, et al.  is set to go to trial in September of 2018.
      The plaintiffs in this case are represented by NPR partner D. Neil Smith and associate Ross E. Leonoudakis.

----------------------------------------------------------
      A Jury of 12 held in public view ... or a tribunal of three held in complete secrecy.
      Which would YOU choose,  to get Justice?

• By The Librarian
      Beveridge Eric - Appreciating Jehovahs Organization and Our Kingdom Hall.mp3
      Agape!
      @The Librarian
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      DUANESBURG × The town's plan to purchase a former church in order to convert it into a new Town Hall is being disputed.
      The Town Board voted in October to purchase the former Jehovah's Witnesses Kingdom Hall at 2240 Western Turnpike for $250,000, but a group of residents, including former town Supervisor William Park, has filed a petition for a public referendum on the matter.
      Town Supervisor Roger Tidball, however, said the petition isn't valid because it was filed one day past the 30-day deadline for filing a referendum petition.
      "The town will be taking it to court to get it dismissed," Tidball said.
      Retired dairy farmer Richard Hoffman, a long-time resident who was one of the petition organizers, said he's been served papers to appear in state Supreme Court in Schenectady on Dec. 11.
      "I'm not done with this. I'll fight it tooth and nail," he said Wednesday.
      The Town Board voted Oct. 20 to sign a contract to purchase the former church, subject to permissive referendum — meaning a petition could force the public vote. The petition, which included 153 signatures — 19 more than the minimum needed — was filed Nov. 22. In seeking the referendum, opponents noted there is no money for the purchase included in the recently adopted 2018 town budget.
      Tidball said the town has been looking for a location to build a new town hall for about a year and a half, and in that time, some proposed land purchases have fallen through. Then the Jehovah's Witnesses building, built in the 1990s, became available.
      "The cost is good, so we thought we'd better jump on it," Tidball said. "We've totally done everything the way we're supposed to, and the attorney has approved it."
      While the town contends that the petition was filed too late, Hoffman said the organizers were aware of the deadline, but believe they made it with two or three days to spare.
      "I've been talked to a few people involved in commercial remodeling, and they thought it would take $250,000 to bring it up to code," he said. "It's not going to be $250,000 (to buy the building), it's going to be $400,000 to $500,000. Let the people of the town vote on that."
      The former church comprises about 4,000 square feet of space, roughly twice the size of the current town hall, which is also located on Western Turnpike, about 4 miles west of the church.
      "Our courtroom, which is also where the Town Board meets, is very small," Tidball said. "We have people waiting outside, and if we have a meeting where we're expecting more than about 40 or 50, we have to move it. That's really the main problem."
      The church building would require some renovations, but Tidball doesn't believe they would be an expensive as opponents think, since the building is modern. He believes the renovations would cost around $100,000. The town will seek grant money, he said, but is likely to borrow the town's portion of funding for the purchase and renovations to protect its reserves.
      The supervisor said the town hopes to hold a public forum on its plans for the building just after the first of the year.
      "This will solve a lot of our issues for future expansion," Tidball said.
      Reach Gazette reporter Stephen Williams at 518-395-3086, swilliams@dailygazette.netor @gazettesteve on Twitter.

• By Bible Speaks
      HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED... 
      WHY DO JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES  CALL THEIR MEETING PLACE A KINGDOM HALL RATHER THAN A CHURCH? 
      The bible answers.... 
      In the Bible, the Greek term that is sometimes translated “church” refers to a group of worshippers, not to the building they meet in.
      Note this example: When the apostle Paul wrote to the Christians in Rome, he sent greetings to a couple named Aquila and Priscilla and added: “Greet the church that meets in their home.” (Romans 16:5, Contemporary English Version) Paul didn’t intend for his greetings to be conveyed to a building. Rather, he was sending his greetings to people—the congregation that met in that home. 
      So instead of calling our place of worship a church, we use the term “Kingdom Hall.”
      Why “Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses”?
      This term is fitting for a number of reasons:
      > The building is a hall, or meeting place.
      > We meet to worship Jehovah, the God of the Bible, and to witness, or testify, about him.—Psalm 83:18; Isaiah 43:12.
      > We also meet to learn about God’s Kingdom, of which Jesus often spoke.—Matthew 6:9, 10; 24:14; Luke 4:43.
      You are welcome to visit a Kingdom Hall near you and see for yourself how JehovahÂ’s Witnesses conduct their meetings.
      https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/jehovahs-witnesses-church-kingdom-hall/

• By Queen Esther
      NEW  WORLD  WARWICK  CENTER,  HEADQUARTERS,  USA 
      The  beautiful  entrance  hall ❤
      By Guest
      Shared by @craigcarsonea
    • By Queen Esther
      VERY  VERY  SAD.......
      RUSSIA....  OUR  BROTHERS  BEGIN  TO  REMOVE  SIGNS  FROM  THE  KINGDOM  HALLS ;-(
      Soon they will all belong to the government
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      A cannabis factory with almost 800 plants has been discovered inside an iconic Merthyr Tydfil chapel.
      Unbeknown to nearby residents, the building on Newcastle Street - a prominent landmark in the town since it was built in 1856 - was housing 769 cannabis plants.

Officers only discovered the huge operation after conducting a spot check on someone acting suspiciously.
      From the information obtained they discovered the unbelievable haul brazenly being grown in the town centre.

The former Kingdom Hall for Jehovahs Witnesses, on Newcastle Street in Merthyr Tydfil
      Police also found another haul of plants in a property on Pontmorlais High Street.
      A man has been arrested and charged with producing cannabis.

The Salem Chapel was once a congregation church used by the Salvation Army and Merthyr Council.
      Since 1986, the chapel has been the Kingdom Hall for Jehovah’s Witnesses.
      http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-find-800-cannabis-plants-12839462
    • By TrueTomHarley
      I like the song video; ‘Why We Went to Bethel.”

I like that it is all children. Adults are in the background for support. They clap, sway, play instruments. But the centerpiece is the kids. 

If you weren’t paying attention, you might miss that it is shot in different countries, with different choirs of kids. That’s how seamless it has been produced by really capable people.

I like the child that pops up at the end, “Thank you, Jehovah.”

The brother who I think I would like in person will not join in the singing. He just won’t do it. But he will watch the Sergei vignettes just before, which are just as good. In fact, they are better.

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      This is  brother Cross, he has served 45 years at Bethel. He was going around giving Sophia and Caleb cards to children with information about them. 

• By The Librarian
      Photo shared by @steentime

Patterson Bethel. Photo shared by @steentime

View the full article
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Happy testing equipment for dubbing of videos in Tagalog at Philippines Bethel

• Guest Nicole
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      This family is visiting, one of their children had the privilege to show them the facilities. 

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Fargo, ND (WDAY-TV) A stolen vehicle has caused lots of damage in the South Fargo area.
      Tara Kohn says she and her husband were doing fence repair at Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses when they realized their blue pickup truck had been stolen.
      They called 911 immediately.
      A witness on 23rd Street in South Fargo says he saw the truck run a stop sign, swerve off the road, hit an electrical box, and then hit a parked car on the street.
      He says the car then fled.
      Police found the pickup at 1519 36 ½ Avenue South in Fargo, in an un-drivable condition.
      The person who stole the vehicle fled on foot, and Kohn says police told her they were searching for the suspect with the help of police K-9s.
      “So sad to not only lose our pickup truck of many years, but the damage that someone did with this. It's one thing to steal something... but to hurt so many other people. He didn't hurt people but their vehicles and their property,” said Kohn.
      If you have any information, you can contact Fargo Police at 701-235-4493.
      https://www.wday.com/news/crime/4122665-stolen-vehicle-involved-crash

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      When we need help, who can help us? Samson gave the best example! "Samson now called out to Jehovah..." (Jud. 16:28-31). By @luizbera

• Guest Nicole
    • Guest Nicole
    • By Bible Speaks
      @shafersfamily touring Brooklyn Bethel and imagining being in Paradise.
    • By Bible Speaks
      At all Bethel's now with Bethel applications ready to go when it’s time. Photo shared by @msanti02
    • By Bible Speaks
      WATCHTOWER AND AWAKE 5 CENTS - 2 year old Grayden from Toledo, Ohio is ready to preach the word! 2nd picture, my Son Anthony. Another statue at Wallkill Bethel Farms in background, see it?
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    AliciaBarbosa
    Newest Member
    AliciaBarbosa

• Topics

• Wouldn't a core doctrine be one in which we put "unwavering" faith. This is the whole reason I mention "core" or "key" doctrines. If we were to be killed unless we publicly renounced our faith in Jehovah God as the Creator, and Jesus Christ as the one through whom the Ransom comes, we should be willing to die for that doctrine. I would not be willing to die over my certainty that Jesus was only using hyperbole when he said that the men of Sodom would do better in a resurrection of the unrighteous on Judgment Day, than persons in towns that rejected Jesus during his earthly ministry. (Only the most diabolical of inquisitors would ask such a question anyway. I think I would go for "theocratic war strategy. 😉 )
    • I like that. It's an excellent explanation of one of the points made in the day's text and commentary. Perhaps. And so were all the 1 year old babies destroyed in the Flood. And so were the 185,000 of Senacherib's troops. I used that one because it's one for which most of us would be the least surprised if we discovered that the WT changed the teaching again.  Not sure what you mean. I already believe that the primary core doctrine is God's value through his Son's ransom sacrifice. Other doctrines are also just as necessary, though.  There actually is a contradiction between the Bible and AD 1914. And we don't need any independent understanding not supported by Scripture, such as the independent understanding of John Aquila Brown, or more specifically, that of Nelson H Barbour, neither of which were supported by Scripture. It should ALWAYS be the exploit of any faithful Witness to uncover truth and try to resolve any contradictions that can be resolved by Scripture itself, not anything independent of Scriptural support.  On the matter of the 1914 doctrine, an easier explanation with human controversy --but no scriptural controversy-- has already been posted. Easier isn't proof that it's better, but it's definitely easier. Here it is: Jesus came to earth to preach about a God's Kingdom through Christ and give himself over to death as a perfect ransom for sin, to fulfill the Law, and SIT AT GOD'S RIGHT HAND and therefore RULES AS KING since the time of his resurrection in 33 CE. That's it. Simple. No contradictions with any Scripture. From that point on, in 33 CE he SITS AT GOD'S RIGHT HAND and therefore RULES AS KING ruling in the midst of enemies, including war, famine, sickness, and will continue ruling as king until God has put all enemies under his feet, including the last enemy: death.  The current belief in 1914 creates a contradiction with this very point, because we are currently forced to ignore 1 Cor 15:25, which indicates that "sitting at God's right hand" is the same as "ruling as King." Right now, our current teaching is that Jesus sat at God's right hand in 33, and THEN LATER began ruling as king in 1914. Paul says that Jesus began ruling as king WHEN he sat at God's right hand. I'm swapping them because they mean exactly the same thing to me. No difference. Doctrine means teaching. True but notice the words that Paul used instead of "sit at my right hand" here: (1 Corinthians 15:25) 25 For he must rule as king until God has put all enemies under his feet. Turns out that when a king sits on a throne, this is actually an expression meaning rule as king. Just like when we say that a man "sat on the throne" starting in AD 1066, for example. Turns out that a king does not have to stand up from a throne to begin ruling as king. Turns out that sitting on a throne is not a synonym for just waiting around. By that logic, Jesus is not even NOW ruling as king, because God has not yet put the last enemy Death beneath his feet. (1 Corinthians 15:25,26) 25 For he must rule as king until God has put all enemies under his feet. 26 And the last enemy, death, is to be brought to nothing.
    • If only you would stop quoting outside sources, and just be more basic with your comments, then i may understand them . Yes I understand 'if your throw out all the good, only the bad is left.  But the reverse is, if you only see the good, you are not being honest with yourself or others.  @Arauna is a case in point.  
    • @JW Insider Quote " The day's text is about the resurrection, and the commentary speaks of the importance of including this among our key doctrines, as if it might not have been "up there" with the rest. " That seems rather strange to me. But then they are getting short of things to say.  However, i would have thought every Christian, no matter what ever 'sect' or  pigeon hole you put them in, would definitely believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and put it up near the top of important beliefs.  However making Bible Facts, doctrines, seems unfair to God and to the Bible itself.  doctrine a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church, political party, or other group.   It's as if the JW Org tries to 'own' such things. @TrueTomHarley quite often goes on about the things that the JW Org teaches. As if those things 'belonged to the JW Org'.  Whereas a lot of the same beliefs are held by thousands of people, and they not all being of the same organisation.     Quote " The Teaching about Christ's Kingdom -  Of course that final one might be a nod to "1914" as a key teaching, but it is worded here in such a way that no one could dismiss Christ's Kingdom as a key teaching. "   Now here we see a difference between Bible truth and JW doctrine.    Christ's Kingdom is Bible truth.   1914 is JW Org doctrine.   (This would bring us back to. Would a person be d/fed or 'watched' if they did not believe the 1914 doctrine?)    Matthew 22 v 44    ‘Jehovah said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies beneath your feet”’? So if Jesus was to sit at Gods right hand, until God had put Jesus' enemies beneath Jesus' feet.  Then Jesus could not have had the power to do it himself. Therefore surely Jesus was not ruling as King immediately ?    As for 1914, we know that no one of the Bible Students or JW leaders, were or are inspired of Holy Spirit. So maybe 1914 is just another guess or misuse of scriptures.    What is your view of the difference between 'Core doctrines' and Key teachings ?    And you seem to keep swapping expressions from Core doctrines, to Core teachings, to Key teachings.  Can you explain the difference please ?    
    • I confess that I am falling well short of the 100 times a day that I ought. I ask your forgiveness. Human limitations is the only excuse I have to offer. If you negate the upside, then all there is left to look at is the downside, and that is the case with many here.  I keep coming back to a line from The Scarlet Letter: “It is remarkable, that persons who speculate the most boldly often conform with the most perfect quietude to the external regulations of society.” Nobody speculates more boldly, departing from the herd-like thinking of this world, than Jehovah’s Witnesses. True to that Hawthorn line, they have no difficulty conforming to the “external regulations of their society.” Though Hawthorn does not say it, the reverse is also true. Those who cannot “conform to the external regulations of that society” and so leave it, perhaps guys like Shiwiiiii, are the most non-bold thinkers of all. They are individualistic in superfluous ways, but conformist in all the ways that matter.
    • Perhaps you are reading something into the book of Jude that I haven't been able to see. To me, the reason for the letter was this: Jude 4 I say this because some ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches, saying that God’s marvelous grace allows us to live immoral lives. This was similar to the problem in Corinth, where certain brothers were PROUD that they could put up with a notorious case of incest, due to a misunderstanding and misuse of "undeserved kindness." (1 Corinthians 5:1, 2) . . .Actually sexual immorality is reported among you, and such immorality as is not even found among the nations—of a man living with his father’s wife. 2 And are you proud of it? Should you not rather mourn, so that the man who committed this deed should be taken away from your midst? Such persons who used the idea of forgiveness, mercy, and undeserved kindness (grace), as an excuse for loose/brazen conduct were not blowing the whistle on wrongdoing, but were PROMOTING wrongdoing. It was the same as dismissing and speaking abusively against things that Jesus himself had said to "prove false to our only owner and Lord, Jesus Christ." Michael wouldn't even speak abusively of the Devil and yet these people are going to go further than that and think it's OK to speak abusively of Jesus and the angels? It's also possible that the leaders (elders) are considered the "glorious ones" but this makes less sense to me. Perhaps a topic for further discussion?
  • Popular Now