The World News Media

Anna

1 hour ago, Anna said:

" there is nothing wrong with a personal opinion, it is the advocating or insisting on it". I would never insist on my opinion with the friends. I will mention it once, have a discussion,  but I will not keep on going on about it.

I am talking about it here, as this is a controversial section, and people have the choice to either come here and read it or not. In this regard I am not pushing my opinion on a captive audience. In fact I don't think I am pushing my opinion at all (correct me if I am wrong) I am merely explaining how I feel and why.

Don't you think that's why they added "or harbor private ideas" at the end of their statement?

He does not advocate or insist on personal opinions or harbor private ideas when it comes to Bible understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

• Views 12k
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There have been several statements in the publications for those concerned about children, mentally incapacitated, and those alive at Armageddon who have never had an opportunity to learn of Jehovah's

That "succinct" answer is a perfect example of the "skirting" I referred to earlier: Do Jehovah’s Witnesses Feel That They Are the Only People Who Will Be Saved?

Perhaps it is one of the best ways to find the proper meaning of the following verses, among several others:   (Matthew 5:18) 18 Truly I say to you that sooner would heaven and earth pass

Posted Images

On 9/27/2016 at 2:14 PM, HollyW said:

Don't you think that's why they added "or harbor private ideas" at the end of their statement?

He does not advocate or insist on personal opinions or harbor private ideas when it comes to Bible understanding.

I also answered this previously! I copy and paste it here so you don't have to go looking for it: "As for harboring private ideas, well, no one can stop private ideas, and no one except Jehovah needs to know about them. Again to what extend and what KIND of private ideas one harbors does have a baring on the maturity of the Christian. The operative idea is NOT "harboring". This suggests that on the contrary, we should be able to talk about them. And if these private ideas foster doubt, then we should definitely talk to a mature Christian about them".

21 minutes ago, Anna said:

I also answered this previously! I copy and paste it here so you don't have to go looking for it: "As for harboring private ideas, well, no one can stop private ideas, and no one except Jehovah needs to know about them. Again to what extend and what KIND of private ideas one harbors does have a baring on the maturity of the Christian. The operative idea is NOT "harboring". This suggests that on the contrary, we should be able to talk about them. And if these private ideas foster doubt, then we should definitely talk to a mature Christian about them".

Anna, if my pastor and the elders of my church were to tell me that I'm not to harbor any thoughts that are in disagreement with what they understand the Bible teaches, what would be your advice to me?

20 hours ago, HollyW said:

Anna, if my pastor and the elders of my church were to tell me that I'm not to harbor any thoughts that are in disagreement with what they understand the Bible teaches, what would be your advice to me?

As I see it, you would have three choices: 1.Don't let it bother you, pray about it, and wait until perhaps things cleared up 2.if it really bothered you, talk to a mature Christian about it, or 3. Leave, because why would you stay if you don't agree.

What you do, would be up to you. What you chose to do in the end would probably depend on what you disagreed with, and how important it was to you.

6 hours ago, Anna said:

As I see it, you would have three choices: 1.Don't let it bother you, pray about it, and wait until perhaps things cleared up 2.if it really bothered you, talk to a mature Christian about it, or 3. Leave, because why would you stay if you don't agree.

What you do, would be up to you. What you chose to do in the end would probably depend on what you disagreed with, and how important it was to you.

I realize you are talking about a scenario where it concerns another religion besides JWs, but the answer is essentially the same, if it bothers you that much, then do something about it. I should have included a fourth option, which would be research, but I was assuming that  research was already done, as I believe someone would not disagree with something just for the sake of it, but would have a legitimate (at least to them) reason for their disagreeing.This goes for JWs also.....

On 10/7/2016 at 7:32 PM, Anna said:

I realize you are talking about a scenario where it concerns another religion besides JWs, but the answer is essentially the same, if it bothers you that much, then do something about it. I should have included a fourth option, which would be research, but I was assuming that  research was already done, as I believe someone would not disagree with something just for the sake of it, but would have a legitimate (at least to them) reason for their disagreeing.This goes for JWs also.....

After extensive research, I chose #3. 

14 minutes ago, HollyW said:

After extensive research, I chose #3. 

That is your prerogative.

Why are you not going on with your life then but try to undermine the faith of others? Your conclusions are your own. What makes you believe that are the truth?

The simple fact that you still bother yourself with a religion you chose not to follow is a clear sign of unresolved issues. I kindly encourage you to resolve them. You'll lead a happier life this way.

1 hour ago, ThePraeceptor said:

The simple fact that you still bother yourself with a religion you chose not to follow is a clear sign of unresolved issues.

Interesting question. I'm not sure about @HollyW, but the comment made regarding the choice of option #3 seem to indicate a former association with Jehovah's Witnesses.

Anyway, Byan Wilson wrote a paper suggesting some secular reasons for this kind of activity. This makes for an interesting perspective, whether you agree with everything he suggests or not.

http://www.scientologymyths.info/apostates/docs/bryan-wilson-apostate-study.pdf 

Just getting back to the original question:

On 9/21/2016 at 7:40 PM, Anna said:

With that in mind, it is evident that either there is going to have to be a lot of preaching done, verging on the miraculous, in order to bring in over 7 million new Witnesses within the allotted time of the "Generation", or, Jehovah will judge their hearts and allow nearly HALF of the people, (agnostics or believers in false Gods) entry into the new world without them even needing to know him.

Or, is "this Generation" a lot longer than we think.....

I'd say that, firstly, 'this Generation' includes the lifetime of, for example, Geoffrey Jackson, who is only 60 at the moment, not even a pensioner, so the generation wouldn't need to be 'longer than we think' to allow for a considerable amount of stuff to happen.

Also, bear in mind that Jehovah said he would 'speed it up in his own time'.  And it's easy to see how things might speed up.  In the past we've heard experiences of missionaries coming across congregations who were already practising the truth, because they'd come across some book from somewhere, and had started sharing it with each other, so that by the time the organisation found them, they were already doing more or less everything Jehovah wanted.  That happened before the internet existed, before people in China or India or anywhere else could look up information in their own language and find out the answers to existential questions everybody has about life, and which people don't stop having just because their country isn't widely Christian.

Consider the changes made in the past ten years. Apps designed to teach us foreign languages. Teaching to use videos as part of our presentations. Cart witnessing. Many ways of witnessing that were previously alien to us are now being embraced. It doesn't seem unlikely that we could be taught to witness online, in different languages, so as to reach these other countries.  That would certainly be one way of speeding it up.

Yes, it is also logical that since Jehovah can read hearts, he can tell the difference between someone who would have accepted the truth had they had the chance, and someone who wouldn't. But I think plenty has been said on that subject already. All I'd add is that given Satan's challenge in Eden, presumably what Jehovah is concerned about when deciding whether a person is suitable to live in the new world is that person's willingness to obey him rather than choosing their own path - not whether they actually got told what he wanted them to do.  That, after all, was the test that Adam and Eve failed.

4 hours ago, WitnessConfectionProgram said:

Just getting back to the original question:

I'd say that, firstly, 'this Generation' includes the lifetime of, for example, Geoffrey Jackson, who is only 60 at the moment, not even a pensioner, so the generation wouldn't need to be 'longer than we think' to allow for a considerable amount of stuff to happen.

Also, bear in mind that Jehovah said he would 'speed it up in his own time'.  And it's easy to see how things might speed up.  In the past we've heard experiences of missionaries coming across congregations who were already practising the truth, because they'd come across some book from somewhere, and had started sharing it with each other, so that by the time the organisation found them, they were already doing more or less everything Jehovah wanted.  That happened before the internet existed, before people in China or India or anywhere else could look up information in their own language and find out the answers to existential questions everybody has about life, and which people don't stop having just because their country isn't widely Christian.

Consider the changes made in the past ten years. Apps designed to teach us foreign languages. Teaching to use videos as part of our presentations. Cart witnessing. Many ways of witnessing that were previously alien to us are now being embraced. It doesn't seem unlikely that we could be taught to witness online, in different languages, so as to reach these other countries.  That would certainly be one way of speeding it up.

Yes, it is also logical that since Jehovah can read hearts, he can tell the difference between someone who would have accepted the truth had they had the chance, and someone who wouldn't. But I think plenty has been said on that subject already. All I'd add is that given Satan's challenge in Eden, presumably what Jehovah is concerned about when deciding whether a person is suitable to live in the new world is that person's willingness to obey him rather than choosing their own path - not whether they actually got told what he wanted them to do.  That, after all, was the test that Adam and Eve failed.

Helpful observations. Thanks!

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.