Last Reply

Replies

Views

joel alarios sr. -
Jack Ryan -

Top Posters

Extraordinary!!

I presume this is in the Phillipines.

I'm not sure if you can use the word "overkill" for cemetery witnessing, but it does seem a high concentration of mobile witnessing carts in that one location!

Is this a regular feature or is it particularly in connection with the Philipino version of Hallowe'en?

Thank  you  for  the  many,  wonderful  pictures  from  serving  Jehovah,  joel alarios sr.  ;-)  from  early  morning  until  evening,  very  long !  I  hope,  you  had  a  successful  day ❤

Eoin Joyce, thank you for your nice comment...  thousands of devotee visits this cemetery every year starting Oct. 31 to Nov. 2. On October 14, 2016, we apply for a permit to display our publications in four (4) different  locations sorrounding the cemetery. But, since the community leader is familiar to our activity, he selected the lone entrance of the cemetery for us to put the display, Because the 3 other locations are intended for commercial used. Each Pioneers and publishers contributed for the rental of the place. Boxes of publications were placed, and some people accepted to visit them. Successful indeed!

5 hours ago, joel alarios sr. said:

Each Pioneers and publishers contributed for the rental of the place.

Excellent initiative.

From:  http://hubpages.com/holidays/How-do-Filipinos-Celebrate-the-Halloween

Halloween here in the Philippines is not like the Halloween in the Western countries. Although it’s a big holiday (comparable to Christmas here), we celebrate it in a different manner. Halloween in the Philippines lasts from the eve of October 31 (or even before this day) to November 2. Due to our strong Catholic background, Nov. 1 and Nov. 2 are spent remembering our dead loved ones and these dates will usually find most of us in one place only: the cemetery or the memorial park.

"Cemetery witnessing" has not been recommended in the United States for many years, although our desire to "comfort those who mourn" might produce an informal situation even if it were not organized from the congregation's perspective.

When I was much younger I knew people (including my mother and grandmother) who tried this on Decoration Day (now Memorial Day) back when it was recommended by the Society to do "cemetery witnessing." (probably 1957 to 1963) It was never recommended that it should become a high-profile activity, however.

On 11/3/2016 at 7:29 PM, JW Insider said:

"Cemetery witnessing" has not been recommended in the United States for many years,

It is not recommended where I live either as an organised activity. Where I live many know each other and funerals are a big well attended affair. ain fact locally raised brothers will not call on someone who has been recently bereaved as it is seen to be highly distasteful and insensitive.

Meeting someone informally is different however, and striking up a one to one when visiting a cemetery would not be objectionable. I recently conducted a funeral for a brother whose very large family are mostly not witnesses. About 75 in attendance had no Bibles so the scriptural part of the talk I put on the screens in the kingdom hall. They were very appreciative, I could see everyone focussed on the scriptures and got excellent feedback after. One said they are not used to going home from a funeral feeling happier. They usually feel worse than when thay went in.

So there we are. The scriptures do their work. It is up to us to ensure the apples of gold are set attractively. Pro. 25:11.

• Similar Content

• By Jack Ryan
      A grieving mother broke down in tears after she found a Jehovah's Witnesses pamphlet asking 'Can the dead really live again?' left at her son's grave.
      The woman and her daughter were visiting the 20-year-old's grave at Penrith Cemetery in western Sydney during the first Mother's Day since his suicide when they found the pamphlet.
      'Can the dead really live again?' the pamphlet read on the front cover, with the options 'yes', 'no' and 'maybe'.
      The man's sister said her mother was already struggling to cope with her son's absence on Mother's Day before they found the flyer.
      'My mum had been trying to hold it together all morning. It was always going to be a hard visit (to the cemetery) that day, but the flyer was a bit of salt in the wound,' the man's sister, who wished to remain anonymous, said.
      'It's harder to console your mother in tears on Mother's Day who just misses her son than it is to pick up a piece of paper and throw it in the bin.'
      The woman said there were flyers left at every grave in her brother's section of the cemetery.
      'Overall the whole situation was inappropriate... being that it was Mother's Day... there's no scenario you could have in this situation that makes it any ''better'' it's just horrible from all directions,' she said.

'That and also the choice of words. Leaving a flyer is a bad move regardless, but posing a question to friends and family members of ''Can the dead live again?'' is just so morbid.
      'But even then, if they left a flyer saying ''We're sorry for your loss'' would it make the situation any better? It's still preying on emotionally vulnerable people.' 
      The woman said she called the Jehovah's Witness head office in Sydney, where someone acknowledged leaving flyers at the cemetery was inappropriate.
      'But I wasn't given an apology... they referred to it as ''passing on the enquiry'',' she said.
      'What annoys me is that no one seemed to notice these people coming in - with a bag full of rocks to place the flyers under - and leaving all these flyers around.
      'Plots in that cemetery are going for up to $4000 plus, you expect some kind of security in this place.
      'One of the graves I removed a flyer from had the flyer underneath a little dog statue that was sitting beside the tombstone. 
      'All I thought was, imagine if that little dog was a family heirloom that meant something to the decease and was damaged because it was being carelessly handled by a church that wanted to get their sales numbers up? You'd be pretty livid.'
      A Jehovah's Witnesses spokesman said the choice to leave the flyers at the cemetery was 'an individual matter' and would have been carried out by someone from 'one of the local churches there'.
      'Some write letters, some do it over the phone,' he said.
      'It's probably just an individual doing the work... It's an individual, personal choice when it comes to preaching.'
      The spokesman said he could 'understand' resistance to their message, as they sometimes receive the same feedback when they go door-knocking to preach.
      A Penrith City Council spokesman said the flyers were an 'isolated incident'.
      'Council was advised on Monday afternoon of leaflets that were left in the cemetery and a sweep was conducted to remove the material,' he said. 
      Daily Mail Australia has contacted the Penrith Central Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses church for comment.

A Jehovah's Witnesses spokesman said the choice to leave the flyers at the cemetery was 'an individual matter' and would have been carried out by someone from 'one of the local churches' in Penrith
      https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7025371/Grieving-mother-lost-20-year-old-son-suicide-finds-Jehovahs-Witness-pamphlet-grave.html?fbclid=IwAR10jCf4Tqhfxghfz7UGde07X-hazU4ErQQc5TMEfDt17MNftaVlzsQPiwk
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Rosjes128
    Newest Member
    Rosjes128

• Topics

• It was Splane's "historic" (they called it) Annual Meeting talk in October 2014, especially when he referred to how Brother Bert Schroeder had counseled exactly this, many years earlier. Schroeder's statement was kind of a "motto" that Brother Splane repeated as the primary takeaway for this new way of looking at these portions of Scripture. That point was rewritten in the March 15, 2015 Watchtower, p.18 as follows: “Humans cannot know which Bible accounts are shadows of things to come and which are not. The clearest course is this: Where the Scriptures teach that an individual, an event, or an object is typical of something else, we accept it as such. Otherwise, we ought to be reluctant to assign an antitypical application to a certain person or account if there is no specific Scriptural basis for doing so.” The original video is now here: https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/VODPgmEvtAnnMtg/pub-jwbam_201410_1_VIDEO "Types and Antitypes." It starts at about 2 hours:8 minutes into the video. At 2h:13m:07s he says: "Now we know that these [ones spoken of by Jesus and Paul] are genuine types because the word of God says they are. But here is the question: Who is to decide if a person or an event is a type, if the word of God doesn't say anything about it? Who is qualified to do that? Our answer? We can do no better than to quote our beloved Brother Albert Schroeder who said, 'We need to exercise great care when applying accounts in the Hebrew Scriptures as prophetic patterns or types if these accounts are not applied in the Scriptures themselves." Wasn't that a beautiful statement! We agree with it. After giving several examples of this "typology" (as he called it) from several different religions, including religions the Bible Students had been part of. And these religions often applied these types to themselves, just as the Watchtower applied many of them to Bible Students and Witnesses in modern times.  Brother Splane repeats that the most important problem with them is that these applications were not found in the Scriptures themselves. He even asks, "If the study of a certain subject makes chills run up and down your spine, could it possibly be mistaken?' And the answer was YES!" Then at 2h:19m:22s he repeats this idea again, and says: "Well, in recent years the trend in our publications has been to look for the practical application of Bible events and not for types where the scripture themselves do not identify themselves as such. We simply cannot go beyond what is written!" There's a funny thing Splane does in the video where he almost makes it look like the Pyramid idea came from a Brother A. Smith who wrote the Society from time to time to tell them his ideas about how the Pyramid told of God's purpose. He gives the impression that Russell only mentioned it once, but that this brother was so "emotionally" involved with the idea that he wrote to the Society about it several times. You can compare this to the actual things that Russell and Rutherford said about the Pyramid, and draw your own conclusion as to what Brother Splane is doing here. I also think it's curious that Albert Schroeder had died many years before, and this particular idea had been first expressed by others and finally by Brother Schroeder, too, several years before he died. Evidently not enough members of the Governing Body agreed with it at the time. But, even though it was now several years later, Brother Splane in 2014 can say it was a beautiful statement, and that 'we agree with it.'
    • I was just kidd8ng about thor, I know he doesn't really exist. So when Christians get together for Thanksgiving and pray to Yaweh, you jw's are calling Yaweh a pagan god....this is blasphemy of the highest sort.
    • I have not noticed 1914 diminishing in importance. It gets aired anytime there is a reference to the times of the end, and its closeness (in publications, convention talks and Broadcasting). But you are right, there seems to be a certain hesitancy in directly including 1914 as being part of our "core doctrines". At least in the above mentioned days text. There is also no reference to it in the questions for baptism. Under Christian beliefs, Question 19 asks: How do you know that Kingdom blessings will soon be here? The answers are references to Matthew 24 and 2 Timothy (last days critical times..). IF 1914 was to be mentioned, what scripture references would be used? We can all see it would get very complicated, hence as you rightly called it, it is a difficult doctrine. But the irony is, it is a very fundamental doctrine, so it should be explained (with all the dozens of scriptures) and be a part of the questions for baptism, strictly speaking. So I wonder, why is it not there?    That's fine with direct and obvious scriptures and Bible books. But how would you explain (interpret) books such as Revelation, Ezekiel, Daniel etc? And I thought we already established that no one would any longer be inspired after the last of the apostles died.
    • Quote "Neither the word opportune nor appointed is found in the Greek, only the word time. But the more typical meaning is "opportunity" as in: "  Isn't this then ADDING to the scriptures ?  Just using the word time would surely have done the job. And to use the phrase 'appointed times' is surely wrong as it suggests a pre-planned time / a set time.  Isn't it a sin to add to the scriptures ?   -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Separate comment.  Quote @JW Insider Sounds like you disagree with what Brother Splane said when he admitted that over 100 teachings that had turned Bible parables and Bible historical narratives into specific prophecies were examples of going beyond the things written. Quote "But if you think about it, almost every single past error where the Watchtower has made an interpretation that was later changed was also a matter of going beyond the things written. Whenever there was a changed teaching where the Watchtower had said "this is what it means" instead of "this is what it might mean" was a matter of going beyond the things written." WOW ! This should be put up in lights outside every Kingdom Hall, for all Witnesses and members of the public to read.  And that in itself is good enough reason for not being a JW, because the GB and it's Writing Dept GO BEYOND THE THINGS WRITTEN, and they admit to not being inspired.   But, they say that one has to be a baptised JW to gain salvation.  That is so funny when you consider it all.   
    • This is an excellent comment, Srecko.  Has the organization’s leaders, with their consistent errors in doctrine and prophesy, ever had God’s Spirit? 2 Pet 1:21 - "knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit." NKJV “for prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men borne along by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.”  Mounce "But you must understand this at the outset, that no prophecy of scripture arose from an individual’s interpretation of the truth. No prophecy came because a man wanted it to: men of God spoke because they were inspired by the Holy Spirit." (Phillips) It is so clear; if JWs would only take the guiding scriptures to heart and not the “guiding” words of men who not only admit they are not inspired, but have proven it to be true.   Holy Spirit at Work - the Token:  http://4womaninthewilderness.blogspot.com/2013/07/holy-spirit-at-work.html
    • No one needs to read a word of what Carl Olof Jonsson wrote. For the most part all he did was corroborate what the majority of the most well-grounded researchers already had said well before he agreed with it. If there was any added value in what Jonsson wrote, it was that he showed how neo-Babylonian archaeology supports the Bible record.
  • Popular Now