The World News Media

Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Solid State Drive

I just bought this in order to upgrade my 2011 iMac to modern speeds and it was almost 50% off. I figured I would share the idea with the rest of you. Enjoy!

• Views 559
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Powered by Samsung V-NAND Technology; Optimized Performance for Everyday Computing.
  • Incredible Sequential Read/Write Performance : Up to 540MB/s and 520MB/s Respectively, and Random Read/Write IOPS Performance : Up to 98K and 90K Respectively
  • Endurance, Reliability, Energy Efficiency, and a 5-Year Limited Warranty
  • Included Contents: 2.5” (7mm) SATA III (6GB/s) SSD & User Manual (All Other Cables, Screws, Brackets Not Included).
  • Free download of Samsung Data Migration and Magician software available for easy installation and SSD management
  • Windows 10/8/7/Vista SP1 and above (32/64 bit), Windows Server 2008 (32/64 bit), Linux Compatible

Samsung's 3D V-NAND flash memory is fabricated using an innovative vertical design. Its vertical architecture stacks 32 cell layers on top of one another, rather than trying to decrease the cells' length and width to fit today's ever-shrinking form factors. 

Kye Hyun Kyung, Senior Vice President of Samsung memory Flash Design discusses the future of Flash memory with the advancement of 3D V-NAND. Senior Vice President Kye Hyun Kyung talks about what 3D V-NAND is and what the future holds. With the possibilities of stacking more flash memory into less space, we can expect a significant increase in the size of SSD drives, and consumers will be able to completely rely on SSD storage very soon. 3D V-NAND will bring more storage capacity, faster speeds, and improved reliability with 10 years warranty on the new SSD 850 PRO.

Is there actually a speed or performance difference between these two models? Is that 540MB/S very less than 550MB/S? I don't understand why they put the price difference so high.

And for the future....

Samsung announces 16TB SSD

Not just the world's highest capacity SSD, but the world's highest capacity drive of any type. The PM1633 uses Samsung's new 48 layer V-NAND, itself a technical tour-de-force, and represents a new thrust in flash storage beyond performance: capacity.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/samsung-announces-16tb-ssd/

• The 48 layer, 256Gbit (32GB), vertical NAND flash chip.
  • The world's largest - almost 16TB - drive.
  • The world's fastest - 1,000,000 IOPS - drive.
  • A 2U box with over 700TB of capacity - roughly 15PB in a single rack.
  • And a continuation of their intelligent drive initiative.

That last is the most important. Modern drives contain powerful CPUs that can do much more than manage blocks of bits.

Rather than shipping raw data to hosts, these CPUs could perform local processing, giving hosts only the data they need while reducing network loads and latency. Samsung engineers are working with standards bodies to develop APIs to enable device computation.

44 minutes ago, Michael Krewson said:

I just bought this in order to upgrade my 2011 iMac to modern speeds and it was almost 50% off. I figured I would share the idea with the rest of you. Enjoy!

COOL....  Congrats ;-)   Very  clever ! xD  Samsung  does  really  work  to  iMac ?

I  must  say,  that  was  a  great  idea,  will  tell  it  to  other  iMac  Freaks !  Hey, I  need that  for  my  Laptop  too,  haha  -  better  buy  a  new  one,  I  know.....