The World News Media

The Babylonian Exile

TrueTomHarley

I never could get my head around our previous take on the Babylonian exile. Or care. I mean, a one-year period representing such an event?

But the new package revealed Sunday makes so much more sense.

'That new point the Governing Body wrote about?' said Mike Tussen's years ago. 'You may have already noticed that point in your studying. And if this were Christendom, you'd run out and start your own religion over it.'

The uppity people take no interest in that new religion of Jesus because it is carpenters, fishermen and shoemakers. But then they figure out how to monetize it. All the highbrow people jump in, bringing all the highbrow ideas they love so, ideas from Aristotle and Plato.

photo: Carla216

Tom Irregardless and Me    30% free preview. After that, we'll talk, your people and mine.

image.jpeg

• Views 2.3k
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never could get my head around our previous take on the Babylonian exile. Or care. I mean, a one-year period representing such an event? But the new package revealed Sunday makes so much more s

But you have to remember that the returnees, or those in exile, were not commanded to return to Jerusalem. That was left up to the individual. This was much different than the release from Egypt, when

I know it is probably my bad, but I don't care about these things. What's the present understanding? I'll spin it that way out of loyalty. Should the understanding change someday, I'll spin it the new

Posted Images

Most of the exiles remained scattered all over the territory of Babylon and the previous Assyrian empire (ten tribe kingdom was scattered by Assyria; and Juda, the two-tribe kingdom, was scattered by the Babylonian empire). 

Only a remnant of Israel returned exactly on time as predicted by Isaiah - after 70 years.

But you have to remember that the returnees, or those in exile, were not commanded to return to Jerusalem. That was left up to the individual. This was much different than the release from Egypt, when the Israelites were slaves, held under compulsory service. But as exiles from their homeland, many were given service in the government, some even became wealthy doing business in the territory. So when Babylon fell and the Word came to return, many may have weighed that call against what they had gained. But it was a false assumption, because again they were not putting spiritual things first.

Their return was not for their relief, but to rebuild the temple and Jehovah's named worship center. Not their own relief and homelife, which was what Nehemiah found when the work slacked, but their own homes were decked out. So those whose heart was true to true worship as Isaiah wrote, for righteousness would be on this road, being protected by Jehovah on the trek back home.

So some indeed stayed, but those 'seeking first' spiritual things left to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the temple and the wall and gate of the city, which had been burned by fire.

On 1/24/2017 at 6:38 AM, TrueTom said:

I never could get my head around our previous take on the Babylonian exile. Or care. I mean, a one-year period representing such an event?

I never could either! Made no sense, and I said so to one sister on Sunday and I think she thought I was being haughty :D:D

I know it is probably my bad, but I don't care about these things. What's the present understanding? I'll spin it that way out of loyalty. Should the understanding change someday, I'll spin it the new way. It doesn't affect my basic relationship with Jehovah or his Son.

I don't recommend that attitude, or hold it out as some example. But I just can't get too worked up over such things. They are 'cool' but not essential.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.