TheWorldNewsOrg

A bible was found untouched amid tornado wreckage in Mississippi, opened to a page that read...

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

TheWorldNewsOrg -
James Thomas Rook Jr. -

Top Posters

16 hours ago, Bible Speaks said:

Holy Spirit working? Nice! Thank you!

It was also opened to the chapter that contains:

• (Psalm 50:3, 4) . . .Our God will come and cannot remain silent. Before him is a consuming fire, And a great storm rages all around him.  4 He summons the heavens above and the earth, So as to judge his people:

These other verses were also on the page:

• (Psalm 45:5) 5 Your arrows are sharp, making peoples fall before you. . .
  • (Psalm 48:7) . . .With an east wind you wreck the ships of Tarʹshish.
  • (Psalm 49:10-14) . . .He sees that even wise people die; The stupid and the unreasoning perish together, And they must leave their wealth to others. 11 Their inner wish is that their houses will last forever, Their tents to generation after generation. They have named their estates after themselves. 12 But man, although honored, will not remain; He is no better than the beasts that perish. 13 This is the way of the stupid ones And of those who follow them, who take pleasure in their empty words. (Selah) 14 They are assigned like sheep to the Grave. Death will shepherd them; The upright will rule over them in the morning. Every trace of them will fade away; The Grave rather than a palace will be their home.

Just sayin'

2 hours ago, Anna said:

Come on friends, get real :). What JWInsider posted

12 For the word of God is alive and exerts power+and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints from the marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)
With Jehovah and his Holy Spirit God's Word lives! Never under estimate what Jehovah's words can do.
Even trash men have found the Truth from finding literature in the Rubbish.
The angels and Jehovah with his Holy Spirit are searching the righteous and the wicked.
May everything and everyone find God's word and find life! 

IMG_3024.MP4

asset.gif

5 hours ago, Bible Speaks said:

For the word of God is alive and exerts power+and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints from the marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

I don't doubt this at all, what I am doubting is that anyone who read the CNN story would start thinking of studying the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses, or even studying the Bible, period. People are happy to be reading those verses, believe God is their refuge, and that's that. But will it necessarily motivate anyone to do anything? Also, it shows that you can pick and choose a passage to suit yourself, because the other passages are not nearly as encouraging, if anything, they could be viewed negatively under those circumstances. This is not the same as finding a Bible study aid in the rubbish, because the Bible study aid actually motivates people to want to study the Bible.

On 1/28/2017 at 1:37 AM, Anna said:

I don't doubt this at all, what I am doubting is that anyone who read the CNN story would start thinking of studying the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses, or even studying the Bible, period. People are happy to be reading those verses, believe God is their refuge, and that's that. But will it necessarily motivate anyone to do anything? Also, it shows that you can pick and choose a passage to suit yourself, because the other passages are not nearly as encouraging, if anything, they could be viewed negatively under those circumstances. This is not the same as finding a Bible study aid in the rubbish, because the Bible study aid actually motivates people to want to study the Bible.

I can tell already that the point I was making is going to be mostly lost. But it doesn't matter that much because my point really was unnecessarily negative, and now wasn't the right time to bring it up.

But thanks for catching on to the basic point. I'll use your comments as an excuse to go ahead and explain my reaction to the CNN article. There were about half-a-dozen points that crossed my mind.

1. This news story was not included to create a topic for a specific set of religious beliefs. It's in a general news section. In my response, therefore, I didn't mention the other verses specifically because I thought they could be viewed negatively, but because they might have just as well been seen as more appropriate, and sometimes even more important to the circumstances. There was obviously nothing wrong with the other verses I pointed out, and a good, appropriate sermon could have been made on those verses, too. Every part of the open Bible could have been used to bring comfort in the storm, or a reminder of Jehovah's might. The verse chosen was perhaps the easiest one to work with. 
  2. The story also reminded me of the joke that goes something like: "A man went and said 'I'll open the bible to a random verse and use it to guide my life. He opened it and it said "and Judas went and hung himself" he opened it again and it said "go ye and do likewise." ' "
  3. It reminds me that the exact same type of story gains traction when steel beams fall, and create the shape of a cross as they did in famous photos taken from the World Trade Center disaster.
  4. It also reminded me of the fact that sometimes there are deadly storms or airplane crashes, and many other man-made or natural disasters where many people die, and often one person, perhaps an infant, or photogenic child, will survive. The news often picks up on these stories and highlights the angle (through comments and interviews) that there must have been something special about that particular survivor, and God must have something in mind for them. Perhaps these stories work very positively for 99% of listeners, but another 1% are made to wonder if there is a certain hypocrisy in focusing on the "value" of the life of the survivor that, in effect, dismisses the "value" of those whose lives were horribly and violently ripped away. For some sincere believers, it even creates a false dichotomy about Satan being allowed to do a lot of bad, while God was able to intervene to do some good. It's a faith-strengthener for some, but a problem for others, because it's built on a false premise:
    • Jesus apparently dealt with the problem that disasters were often surrounded by superstitious beliefs even when the disaster was actually random:

(Luke 13:4) . . .Or those 18 on whom the tower in Si·loʹam fell, killing them—do you think that they had greater guilt than all other men who live in Jerusalem?

• Superstitious beliefs affected the view of every form of human suffering:

(John 9:1-3) . . .As he was passing along, he saw a man who had been blind from birth. 2 And his disciples asked him: “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, so that he was born blind?” 3 Jesus answered: “Neither this man sinned nor his parents, . . .

• Superstition is commonly utilized to explain coincidence, and if the subject is positive and upbuilding, we accept it as true and spiritual instead of superstition. The problem is that if the same superstition were used to explain negative coincidences, then the same type of thinking would be seen as "magical" or even "demonic." The existence of a very positive coincidence without superstition is actually difficult for us because we want to make sense of the world and believe that Jehovah is directly involved in all the good things of our material life, and this might require that we blame Satan for all the bad things of our material life. There is a depth of wisdom in Ecclesiastes that surpasses superstition, even though it does not discount the idea that Jehovah is still in full control of the universe:

(Ecclesiastes 9:11, 12) . . .I returned to see under the sun that the swift do not have the race, nor the mighty ones the battle, nor do the wise also have the food, nor do the understanding ones also have the riches, nor do even those having knowledge have the favor; because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all. 12 For man also does not know his time. Just like fishes that are being taken in an evil net, and like birds that are being taken in a trap, so the sons of men themselves are being ensnared at a calamitous time, when it falls upon them suddenly.

5. Many religions with holy or sacred writings often have members who treat the writings with a kind of superstitious "bibliolatry" where the sacred books like the Quran or Bible, for example, are treated like a kind of Ouija board. The person closes their eyes and opens the book to some random point, lets their finger drop to a verse, then they open their eyes and try to make sense of the verse, usually out of context. It's the basis for the joke in point #2, above. This doesn't mean that it will lead to anything bad (as in the joke above), but it might also mean that we are depending on a kind of magical rather than rational thought process, which is related to idolatry.
    • (Romans 12:1, 2) . . .present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason. 2 And stop being molded by this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, so that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

P.S.

*** w81 1/1 p. 22 par. 19 “Engaging in the Holy Work of the Good News” ***
“I asked the householder what motivated her to study the Bible with Jehovah’s Witnesses. She said that often she would open the Bible at random, point her finger at a verse and read it. But she seldom could understand what she read.
“One day she was very depressed over serious family problems. Again she opened her Bible and picked out a verse. She could not understand it, and in her depression and disappointment began to cry. She prayed to God to send her someone to help her understand his Word. Just as she said that, the doorbell rang. Answering it she found a Witness, who began, ‘Would you like to understand the Bible?’ The householder pulled her inside and quickly a regular study was begun.”

AllenSmith:

On 1/31/2017 at 6:02 AM, AllenSmith said:

It seems JWinsider is taking up where James Thomas Rook Jr. left off with his morbid and outrages comments, that he is now deflecting as though it had a supernatural theme. Nice try!

Ex-witness comment: “LOL.. I've seen plenty of comments from that Thomas Rook Jr. He seems to be on the brink of throwing the towel. He criticizes the org heavily but still feels is Jehovah’s Org. It just needs refinement. Very eloquent individual and well articulated, especially in longer posts.”

I bet you are a LOT of fun at parties!

If there is ever a party game "LET'S MISUNDERSTAND EVERYTHING!", where you take a simple concept or idea, and totally screw it up, you will ALWAYS win the prize.

You may even become World Champion ( ... it just occurred to me that you may demand that to be phrased "Planetary Champion", because the world "World" is ..uh... worldly, and "Champion" is ...uh.. oh, what's the word you will be looking for? .... ).

As to my morbid and outrageous comments ... they are an acquired taste, like eating olives or sardines  ... some people like gallows humor, some do not ..some people have enough of a frame of reference to SEE the humor ... and the point the outrageous comment  is pounding home .... some do not.  

Infinite variety among Homo Sapiens, as well as "Homo Theocraticus."

Uh-Oh ... I used the word "Homo". to refer to all of us ... and you ...  and YOUR turn to be offended.

To be 100% consistent it is now YOUR turn ... please try not to jump up and down on the box of puppies!

AllenSmith X-RAYS   600  .jpg

ALLENSMITH WOUNDED FLIES   900  .jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

By Guest
      In 2005, a powerful tornado wiped out a little over one percent of Sweden’s forests. It doesn’t seem like a lot until you realize just how much excess timber the country was left with!
    • By Queen Esther
      A  Fire  Tornado. These  are  not  exceptionally  rare,  just  rarely  documented. Mt. Conner  outback,  Australia...
      NEVER  SEEN  IN  REAL !!
    • By TheWorldNewsOrg
      Tornado rips through city near Dallas, Texas

Authorities said on Saturday that fatalities have been reported and dozens of people were taken to hospitals after a tornado hit a small city in the eastern part of the US state of Texas. Powerful storms swept through Canton, leaving behind a trail of overturned vehicles, mangled trees and damaged homes.

World News
    • By The Librarian
      A family's worst nightmare this holiday weekend when a 12-year-old boy died in Attala County in a tree stand incident.
      "We've had 22 hunting accidents this year. 15 of those have been hunting - tree stand-related incidents," explained Lieutenant Chris Reed with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks. "So you're twice as likely to have a tree stand accident than you are to have a firearm accident."
      MDWFP posted a video to their website discussing the different types of tree stands and harnesses.
      "The tree stands involved in most hunting accidents are the lock-ons, the climbers, and the ladder stands," the video explains. "Before using these stands, check your straps, cables and chains."
      Any gear you use, you have to make sure to do a yearly inspection. 
      "If you leave it up all year and you come back the next year and you expect it to be as strong as it was, you can't rely on that," said Jamey Ray, a salesman with Van's Sporting Goods. "You've got to take all precautions when you're going up the first time for that year to check it, and make sure that this strap is not broken."
      "Take five extra minutes. However long it may take. What's your life worth? Is it worth five extra minutes?" added Lieutenant Reed.
      http://www.wlox.com/story/34135104/12-year-old-dead-after-attala-co-hunting-accident?clienttype=generic
      According to his obituary, a memorial service will be held on Saturday, December 31, at 4pm at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 6517 Jim Ramsay Road in Vancleave, where family and friends may visit two hours prior to the service.
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Graduados de la Escuela de Evangelizadores del Reino, número 45. Asignados al pre- grupo vietnamita en Mississippi. Harán mucha falta aquí en  Sacramento, pero estamos muy emocionados por ellos y sabemos que Jehová los utilizará para encontrar más ovejas. 

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      BRANDON, Miss. — Almost immediately after she found out she was pregnant, Brandon resident Jordan Thiering began preparing for her baby. She bought outfits and stocked up on cloth diapers.
      She and husband Doug assembled baby furniture and decorated the nursery with the name they had chosen for their son; they would call him Roman, middle name to be determined. They packed a bag, ready for that moment they had to rush off to the hospital. In a multitude of ways, Thiering was prepared for her baby’s arrival.
      One thing she was not prepared for, however, was to go to court.
      At 33 weeks pregnant, Thiering got a court order giving her the rights to her placenta.
      “I grew my baby, I grew my placenta,” Thiering said. “There should be no one that can tell me what I can or can’t do with it.”
      Thiering said she was going over her birth plan with her OB-GYN in March when she mentioned she wanted to encapsulate her placenta.
      After a postpartum friend told Thiering she put her placenta in a smoothie, the mom-to-be began to look into the idea.
      Placentophagy, or the act of eating one's own placenta, has increased in Western culture. Proponents claim it can increase your energy level and milk production and help ward off postpartum depression. However, the benefits have not been scientifically proven.
      After conducting her own research, Thiering decided to encapsulate her placenta.
      "Taking a multivitamin is something that I do regularly anyway so putting it in a gelatin capsule just seems so simple and if it’s going to benefit me and my husband, my baby, I might as well," she said. "The benefits just seem to outweigh any sort of negative. I’m really excited about it. If it does nothing, it does nothing, but it's the whole perspective of being able to kind of have what I want, rightfully so. "
      Planning to deliver at River Oaks Hospital, Thiering's doctor said she might want to check with the hospital on its rules and regulations beforehand.
      When she called the hospital, Thiering was told she would need a court order.
      “I’m thinking, ‘What? For my own body part? Why do I need a court order?’”
      Thiering was told it was an issue with the Mississippi Department of Health and she was considered a "third party" to her placenta.
      "If I give birth to my baby and then I give birth to my placenta, do you own my baby, too? Do I have a third party to my own child? Well, of course not. So then why am I the third party to my own body part? It just doesn’t seem to make sense," she said.
      According to a memo obtained by The Clarion-Ledger, state epidemiologist Dr. Thomas Dobbs defined the placenta as “medical waste.”
      The memo states, in part, “no hospital or other facility may release non-infectious medical waste (including placental tissue) without there first having been obtained by a court order, or other judicial mandate, which will assure proper disposal by the release.”
      Which contacted for comment, MSDH spokesperson Liz Sharlot said, "We are not a pivotal party in the lawsuit."
      Confused and frustrated, Thiering turned to a Facebook group for moms asking for advice. She posted what she had been told and was contacted by attorney Jacqueline Hammack.
      Neither Thiering nor Hammack, who specializes in women's health issues, said they had ever heard of a woman having to obtain a court order to get her placenta.
      "I told her I would love to help her out, that this was a crazy thing she was experiencing," Hammack said. "Placenta release was a new endeavor for me but I read the law, talked to her, got all the pertinent facts and I made a petition that I hoped would be sufficient and it was."
      Thiering petitioned the Rankin County Chancery County on May 2, asking for the rights to her placenta. Judge John McLaurin granted the order on May 17.
      “It was pretty simple but totally unnecessary in my opinion to need any of that,” she said. “I don’t think it’s right for someone who has no experience to dictate what a woman can do with her body…he’s not a woman. He shouldn’t have a right to dictate what I can do with my body.
      "It’s your body part and no matter what women want to do with it, it’s their right to have it."
      Thiering said she recognizes that other women may not want to encapsulate or consume their placenta but for her, the health benefits made it an easy choice.
      She added that education is key in the entire birth process, not just regarding the placenta.
      "It's my choice and I think that all women really need be educated, knowing that their birth is their choice," she said. "Obviously, emergencies happen but you don't have to do everything by the book, the way that people kind of assume is the normal way. There is no normal way ... I think this placenta thing is one of those things. It's something that you can do to help your body and help your baby and I think it's just really important in general to let women know you have options."
      Hammack said she hopes the court order "paves the way" for other women.
      "It's not just about getting (Thiering's) court order but making it easier for other women," she said. "I think if the Department of Health is amenable to changing its policy, I think we could change the way hospitals treat the issue."
      Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/05/31/pregnant-mississippi-woman-wins-right-her-placenta/85209928/

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    AliciaBarbosa
    Newest Member
    AliciaBarbosa

• Topics

• Wouldn't a core doctrine be one in which we put "unwavering" faith. This is the whole reason I mention "core" or "key" doctrines. If we were to be killed unless we publicly renounced our faith in Jehovah God as the Creator, and Jesus Christ as the one through whom the Ransom comes, we should be willing to die for that doctrine. I would not be willing to die over my certainty that Jesus was only using hyperbole when he said that the men of Sodom would do better in a resurrection of the unrighteous on Judgment Day, than persons in towns that rejected Jesus during his earthly ministry. (Only the most diabolical of inquisitors would ask such a question anyway. I think I would go for "theocratic war strategy. 😉 )
    • I like that. It's an excellent explanation of one of the points made in the day's text and commentary. Perhaps. And so were all the 1 year old babies destroyed in the Flood. And so were the 185,000 of Senacherib's troops. I used that one because it's one for which most of us would be the least surprised if we discovered that the WT changed the teaching again.  Not sure what you mean. I already believe that the primary core doctrine is God's value through his Son's ransom sacrifice. Other doctrines are also just as necessary, though.  There actually is a contradiction between the Bible and AD 1914. And we don't need any independent understanding not supported by Scripture, such as the independent understanding of John Aquila Brown, or more specifically, that of Nelson H Barbour, neither of which were supported by Scripture. It should ALWAYS be the exploit of any faithful Witness to uncover truth and try to resolve any contradictions that can be resolved by Scripture itself, not anything independent of Scriptural support.  On the matter of the 1914 doctrine, an easier explanation with human controversy --but no scriptural controversy-- has already been posted. Easier isn't proof that it's better, but it's definitely easier. Here it is: Jesus came to earth to preach about a God's Kingdom through Christ and give himself over to death as a perfect ransom for sin, to fulfill the Law, and SIT AT GOD'S RIGHT HAND and therefore RULES AS KING since the time of his resurrection in 33 CE. That's it. Simple. No contradictions with any Scripture. From that point on, in 33 CE he SITS AT GOD'S RIGHT HAND and therefore RULES AS KING ruling in the midst of enemies, including war, famine, sickness, and will continue ruling as king until God has put all enemies under his feet, including the last enemy: death.  The current belief in 1914 creates a contradiction with this very point, because we are currently forced to ignore 1 Cor 15:25, which indicates that "sitting at God's right hand" is the same as "ruling as King." Right now, our current teaching is that Jesus sat at God's right hand in 33, and THEN LATER began ruling as king in 1914. Paul says that Jesus began ruling as king WHEN he sat at God's right hand. I'm swapping them because they mean exactly the same thing to me. No difference. Doctrine means teaching. True but notice the words that Paul used instead of "sit at my right hand" here: (1 Corinthians 15:25) 25 For he must rule as king until God has put all enemies under his feet. Turns out that when a king sits on a throne, this is actually an expression meaning rule as king. Just like when we say that a man "sat on the throne" starting in AD 1066, for example. Turns out that a king does not have to stand up from a throne to begin ruling as king. Turns out that sitting on a throne is not a synonym for just waiting around. By that logic, Jesus is not even NOW ruling as king, because God has not yet put the last enemy Death beneath his feet. (1 Corinthians 15:25,26) 25 For he must rule as king until God has put all enemies under his feet. 26 And the last enemy, death, is to be brought to nothing.
    • If only you would stop quoting outside sources, and just be more basic with your comments, then i may understand them . Yes I understand 'if your throw out all the good, only the bad is left.  But the reverse is, if you only see the good, you are not being honest with yourself or others.  @Arauna is a case in point.  
    • @JW Insider Quote " The day's text is about the resurrection, and the commentary speaks of the importance of including this among our key doctrines, as if it might not have been "up there" with the rest. " That seems rather strange to me. But then they are getting short of things to say.  However, i would have thought every Christian, no matter what ever 'sect' or  pigeon hole you put them in, would definitely believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and put it up near the top of important beliefs.  However making Bible Facts, doctrines, seems unfair to God and to the Bible itself.  doctrine a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church, political party, or other group.   It's as if the JW Org tries to 'own' such things. @TrueTomHarley quite often goes on about the things that the JW Org teaches. As if those things 'belonged to the JW Org'.  Whereas a lot of the same beliefs are held by thousands of people, and they not all being of the same organisation.     Quote " The Teaching about Christ's Kingdom -  Of course that final one might be a nod to "1914" as a key teaching, but it is worded here in such a way that no one could dismiss Christ's Kingdom as a key teaching. "   Now here we see a difference between Bible truth and JW doctrine.    Christ's Kingdom is Bible truth.   1914 is JW Org doctrine.   (This would bring us back to. Would a person be d/fed or 'watched' if they did not believe the 1914 doctrine?)    Matthew 22 v 44    ‘Jehovah said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies beneath your feet”’? So if Jesus was to sit at Gods right hand, until God had put Jesus' enemies beneath Jesus' feet.  Then Jesus could not have had the power to do it himself. Therefore surely Jesus was not ruling as King immediately ?    As for 1914, we know that no one of the Bible Students or JW leaders, were or are inspired of Holy Spirit. So maybe 1914 is just another guess or misuse of scriptures.    What is your view of the difference between 'Core doctrines' and Key teachings ?    And you seem to keep swapping expressions from Core doctrines, to Core teachings, to Key teachings.  Can you explain the difference please ?    
    • I confess that I am falling well short of the 100 times a day that I ought. I ask your forgiveness. Human limitations is the only excuse I have to offer. If you negate the upside, then all there is left to look at is the downside, and that is the case with many here.  I keep coming back to a line from The Scarlet Letter: “It is remarkable, that persons who speculate the most boldly often conform with the most perfect quietude to the external regulations of society.” Nobody speculates more boldly, departing from the herd-like thinking of this world, than Jehovah’s Witnesses. True to that Hawthorn line, they have no difficulty conforming to the “external regulations of their society.” Though Hawthorn does not say it, the reverse is also true. Those who cannot “conform to the external regulations of that society” and so leave it, perhaps guys like Shiwiiiii, are the most non-bold thinkers of all. They are individualistic in superfluous ways, but conformist in all the ways that matter.
    • Perhaps you are reading something into the book of Jude that I haven't been able to see. To me, the reason for the letter was this: Jude 4 I say this because some ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches, saying that God’s marvelous grace allows us to live immoral lives. This was similar to the problem in Corinth, where certain brothers were PROUD that they could put up with a notorious case of incest, due to a misunderstanding and misuse of "undeserved kindness." (1 Corinthians 5:1, 2) . . .Actually sexual immorality is reported among you, and such immorality as is not even found among the nations—of a man living with his father’s wife. 2 And are you proud of it? Should you not rather mourn, so that the man who committed this deed should be taken away from your midst? Such persons who used the idea of forgiveness, mercy, and undeserved kindness (grace), as an excuse for loose/brazen conduct were not blowing the whistle on wrongdoing, but were PROMOTING wrongdoing. It was the same as dismissing and speaking abusively against things that Jesus himself had said to "prove false to our only owner and Lord, Jesus Christ." Michael wouldn't even speak abusively of the Devil and yet these people are going to go further than that and think it's OK to speak abusively of Jesus and the angels? It's also possible that the leaders (elders) are considered the "glorious ones" but this makes less sense to me. Perhaps a topic for further discussion?
  • Popular Now