The World News Media

Katherine Jackson Receives Temporary Restraining Order against Nephew

The Librarian

allmediany_articles_image1486844710_1.jpeg

-by Laura Tucker, Staff Writer; Image: Katherine Jackson (Image Source: Screenshot)

The 86-year-old Katherine Jackson has lived through a lot in her years. And while she put up with much of it, including her husband's infidelity, it appears that she may have finally reached her limit.

She has been granted a temporary restraining order against her nephew, Trent Lamar Jackson.

It's alleged in court documents that Trent, who is also a longtime driver for Katherine, has been accessing her bank accounts without her knowledge, using her credit cards for his personal use without her approval and also emotionally abusing her.

The claims of abuse state that "Trent has manipulated Mrs. Jackson so much and preyed on her known kindness, that whenever the police arrive or efforts to press elder abuse charges have been undertaken, she ultimately recants or changes her mind."

It wouldn't be the first time she changed her mind when looking for a better life for herself. She twice filed for divorce from the family patriarch Joe Jackson. She was tired of his affairs and filed in 1973, but her Jehovah's Witnesses church persuaded her to drop the divorce. She then tried to divorce him again in 1979 but was again urged to drop it. He went on to have a long-term affair with another woman and had another child with her. While Katherine and Joe remain married, they live in different states.

The current paperwork also stated, "Mrs. Jackson does not want to hurt anyone and has always erred on the side of enduring abuse to save everyone else."

Her lawyers speaking on her behalf say that she "will have moments of strength and tell her kids that Trent is abusing her, and by the time they get Adult Protections Services to the house, he has convinced her by crying or begging not to report him, and the cycle starts all over."

Trent has not spoken publicly about the restraining order or the claims in the court documents.

It's not known why Trent was given such previous power in his aunt's life. She has plenty of adult children and grandchildren to take care of her needs. She and 66-year-old daughter Rebbie went to go visit youngest sibling Janet recently to see her newborn son Eissa for the first time in London.

"It seems like her family is staying close to help and support Janet," said a source, but it seems like maybe they need to stay close and help and support the family matriarch as well.

http://www.allmediany.com/articles/51938-katherine-jackson-receives-temporary-restraining-order-against-nephew

• 4 weeks later...

• Views 10k
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

-by Laura Tucker, Staff Writer; Image: Katherine Jackson (Image Source: Screenshot) The 86-year-old Katherine Jackson has lived through a lot in her years. And while she put up with much of it, i

Christ is head of the Congregations, even now things are being changed and removed. Maybe the apostasy will be starting soon or maybe already has? Listen to instructions perhaps you will be saved!

This was my sister's experience. She was always told to err on the side of enduring abuse, even if it meant not going for needed treatment at a hospital - for violent abuse. Her husband, my brother-in

Posted Images

On 2/11/2017 at 8:48 PM, The Librarian said:

She twice filed for divorce from the family patriarch Joe Jackson. She was tired of his affairs and filed in 1973, but her Jehovah's Witnesses church persuaded her to drop the divorce. She then tried to divorce him again in 1979 but was again urged to drop it. He went on to have a long-term affair with another woman and had another child with her. While Katherine and Joe remain married, they live in different states.

The current paperwork also stated, "Mrs. Jackson does not want to hurt anyone and has always erred on the side of enduring abuse to save everyone else."

Her lawyers speaking on her behalf say that she "will have moments of strength and tell her kids that Trent is abusing her, and by the time they get Adult Protections Services to the house, he has convinced her by crying or begging not to report him, and the cycle starts all over."

This was my sister's experience. She was always told to err on the side of enduring abuse, even if it meant not going for needed treatment at a hospital - for violent abuse. Her husband, my brother-in-law, remained a ministerial servant after at least half-a-dozen complaints. My sister was disfellowshipped for finally "defying" the elders' recommendations and separating from her husband saying she had no intention of ever trying to patch things up with "mildness and submissiveness"

I think there was more of a bunker mentality throughout many congregations in the twentieth century. The fear was that the Society's and congregation's reputation would suffer, especially if someone admitted to hospital staff that a JW minister beat his wife, in a small town where people knew people personally. Probably a much greater danger of a reputation problem for a person whose name was known to the entire world (Sister Jackson).

2 hours ago, JW Insider said:

I think there was more of a bunker mentality throughout many congregations in the twentieth century. The fear was that the Society's and congregation's reputation would suffer, especially if someone admitted to hospital staff that a JW minister beat his wife, in a small town where people knew people personally. Probably a much greater danger of a reputation problem for a person whose name was known to the entire world (Sister Jackson).

Christ is head of the Congregations, even now things are being changed and removed. Maybe the apostasy will be starting soon or maybe already has? Listen to instructions perhaps you will be saved!

Seek Jehovah,  all you meek ones of the earth,

Who observe his righteous decrees.

Seek righteousness, seek meekness.

Probably  you will be concealed on the day of Jehovah’s anger."

(Zephaniah 2:3) NWT   

Notice the Word "probably?" Let us see how things will change perhaps we will know closer to the end? Never give up on Jehovah, his Son will rule with justice and the wicked will be gone forever!

Psalms 37 the whole chapter I love. I also understand injustice and abuse. Jehovah protects me day and night! Never let go!

Remember, Christ died for you and I. That is true love. ?

IMG_9007.JPG

I am not sure if the information provided here is accurate. If the history of Joe abandoning her and having a sexual relationship outside of his marriage to Katherine is true, then she has scriptural grounds to seek a divorce without incrimination. The elders may provide the scriptural direction, but they would not try to influence her one way or the other regarding her decision to seek a divorce from her husband. The way that it is stated here, is not accurate. Also, Jehovah's Witnesses do not call their places of worship churches. They are referred to as Kingdom Halls. I would not hold the information stated her as accurate and would probably conclude that there may have been another reason or reasons that she chose not to divorce. Including influence by the "church." If it was her choice to remained married, she should not be judged for that decision.

What forms a Scriptural basis for divorce? Well, Jehovah hates adultery and sexual immorality. (Genesis 39:9; 2 Samuel 11:26, 27; Psalm 51:4) Indeed, he finds sexual immorality so despicable that he allows it as grounds for divorce. (For a discussion of what sexual immorality involves, refer to Chapter 9, paragraph 7, where sexual immorality is explained.) Jehovah grants the innocent mate the right to decide whether to remain with the guilty partner or to seek a divorce. (Matthew 19:9) Hence, if an innocent mate decides to seek a divorce, that one does not take a step that Jehovah hates. At the same time, however, the Christian congregation does not encourage anyone to seek a divorce. In fact, some circumstances may move the innocent mate to remain with the guilty one, especially if that one is genuinely repentant. In the end, though, those who have a Scriptural basis for divorce must make their own decision and accept whatever consequences it may bring.—Galatians 6:5.

4 hours ago, McKinley Webb said:

What forms a Scriptural basis for divorce? Well, Jehovah hates adultery and sexual immorality. (Genesis 39:9; 2 Samuel 11:26, 27; Psalm 51:4) Indeed, he finds sexual immorality so despicable that he allows it as grounds for divorce. (For a discussion of what sexual immorality involves, refer to Chapter 9, paragraph 7, where sexual immorality is explained.) Jehovah grants the innocent mate the right to decide whether to remain with the guilty partner or to seek a divorce. (Matthew 19:9) Hence, if an innocent mate decides to seek a divorce, that one does not take a step that Jehovah hates. At the same time, however, the Christian congregation does not encourage anyone to seek a divorce. In fact, some circumstances may move the innocent mate to remain with the guilty one, especially if that one is genuinely repentant. In the end, though, those who have a Scriptural basis for divorce must make their own decision and accept whatever consequences it may bring.—Galatians 6:5.

McKinley Webb: Agreed with all your comments, Thank you 

Question though? Must the man give her a certificate of divorce to free her to remarry according to the scriptures? I learned that if a woman divorces she then could not remarry according to the scriptures? She would then not truly be free by God's laws. Of course by the worlds standards that is different. I have run into this, and was advised to make a wise decision as a woman. Appreciate your feedback. 

Yes - sometimes people make the choices to stay in a marriage themselves (for the children or for some other reason) and then the elders get the "blame."  If her husband had an adulterous affair she had the right to divorce him but she may not have had the inclination to go the whole way - mental strength is needed to go through with this. Insecurity and lack of confidence and many other factors play a role in this. 

Often women cannot support themselves financially (she had many kids) or they have the "absolute subjection" mentality.  Remember that Ms Jackson is a product of the 1930s mentality (when she grew up).  In this time period when people divorced they were basically ostracized by family and society.... it was a no-no because it brought disgrace.

Older men from this era also have a "bunker" mentality - as someone named it above.  Many women suffered abuse up until the 60s.  Thereafter divorce was more prevalent.  I was a child in the fifties and remember well the attitudes of men and women. My grandmother divorced in the 1940's and she suffered tremendously because of this.  The 60s brought sexual freedom and more power to women because they did not fall pregnant (with new medication) and became more free.  More women were showing up in the work place as well. 

A few years back I went on a call with an Arabic sister and the student had been abused by her husband (gun threats involved)  and the police took him to jail.  This sister was 80 years old and with her Arabic background and her age, she was "a time capsule from the Palestinian values of the 1930s".  So she ignored the "other' Bible principles and was telling this woman to "withdraw" the complaint to police because the "husband" is your head and master. There was also evidence of adultery. 

Not only was this the worst advice but it could have erupted in more violence.   I went to and elder and asked his advice about this  - but the situation was too late to rectify... The case was already withdrawn and the man joined his wife at home again.  A little later, this man was put in jail - again - for putting a gun to his wives head.  The children had called the police. A restraining order was granted and later a divorce.... The single parent family are now thriving. Fortunately - no-one was hurt and this man later on turned out to be really vile. He was abusive to his children as well.

We must never "tell" our students what to do - or for that matter - anyone else (because we can face the consequences, be responsible,  if the wrong decision is taken..... and the Witnesses can get the "blame".  We show them all the Bible principles involved and help then to think things through.  If you do this - he may do that - if you do that - he may do this...or that may happen.... to give the student options. But they have to choose what to do themselves.... no matter how weak or lost they feel.

I enjoyed last weeks Watchtower study - because it taught us this fact: everyone must exercise their own free will - we cannot do it for them - no matter how well our intentions.  Jehovah knows the hearts. If a study, who is suffering violence, goes back to her husband it is not our place to judge her or give comment. Or if she decides to leave - it is also not our right to judge.... and all must be cautious to give the organization the "blame"  for other individual persons' actions and the decisions involved.

• 4 months later...