The Librarian

JW’s are now allowed to have beards and publicly preach....

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

The Librarian -
TrueTomHarley -

Top Posters

4 hours ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

Poor old @TrueTomHarley has to try to group people together. ...as for me, I have a wife and a son that live 'at home' with me. They are enough company for me thanks.

In other words, I was right. Why all the mock outrage?

And I am right with Srecko, too. Almost certainly.

9 hours ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

Regarding tobacco : God's kingdom Rules Page 111 para 12 & 13  And Smoking banned in 1973

Regarding christmas :   God's Kingdom Rules  page 101 para 8  & page 102 para 9 

@Anna i hope this is to your satisfaction. 

Thank you. It shows me a few important things, although Russell personally thought smoking was a filthy habit, had a "dim" view of it , and didn't think it brought God any glory, he did not insist on his personal opinion, banning others from smoking. Then later in 1935 the WT called it a filthy weed and banned it in Bethel but did not try to impose this on the congregations. It was obviously still not thought of as something worthy of disfellowshipping until 1973. So, they didn't know it was totally wrong until the 70's, not the 1800's as you suggested.

The same thing with Christmas.

12 hours ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

I think it's pretty simple really. He's saying that it makes no difference what the president does, it should not affect the JW / GB decision. Unless you are going by 'traditions of men' of course :) .

13 hours ago, Anna said:

I am not exactly understanding the point you are making in reference to what I was saying. Care to explain please?

If people are willing to talk to us, we should try to pass on a few Bible truths.

For instance, we often ask them whether they know who God’s enemies are.  

If they say it’s wicked people, we tell them that Jesus came to call sinners.  (Luke 5:30-32)

Should they maintain interest, we tell them that the rulers of this world do not want to yield to God’s Kingdom, then read, Psalm 2

“Why are the nations agitated And the peoples muttering an empty thing?

The kings of the earth take their stand And high officials gather together as one

Against Jehovah and against his anointed one.   

They say: “Let us tear off their shackles And throw off their ropes!” 

The One enthroned in the heavens will laugh; Jehovah will scoff at them.   

At that time he will speak to them in his anger And terrify them in his burning anger,  

Saying: “I myself have installed my king On Zion, my holy mountain.”

God's enemies.docx God's enemies.docx

14 hours ago, Colin Browne said:
15 hours ago, Anna said:

I wonder if there are restrictions for a US President not to wear a beard. And if one day a US President does wear a beard, I wonder how this will affect US Witnesses.

(1 Corinthians 5:12, 13) 12 "For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do you not judge those inside,  while God judges those outside?. . .

The kings of the earth will all be gathered at Armageddon.

Thank you Colin, but I still do not understand what you were trying to say...

15 hours ago, Anna said:

Thank you. It shows me a few important things, although Russell personally thought smoking was a filthy habit, had a "dim" view of it , and didn't think it brought God any glory, he did not insist on his personal opinion, banning others from smoking. Then later in 1935 the WT called it a filthy weed and banned it in Bethel but did not try to impose this on the congregations. It was obviously still not thought of as something worthy of disfellowshipping until 1973. So, they didn't know it was totally wrong until the 70's, not the 1800's as you suggested.

The same thing with Christmas.

Make your excuses for them if it pleases you @Anna 

They did not ban it at first as it would have lost them many members and that would have lost them many $$$$$$. 

It's all about the money and the power. They were wise enough to wait, but they knew in the late 1800's.

How gullible are you @Anna

17 hours ago, Anna said:

Then later in 1935 the WT called it a filthy weed and banned it in Bethel but did not try to impose this on the congregations.

"Light get Brighter" only for WT Society Leaders in Bethel, and stopped at Bethel Place. Congregations was left to be in "Darkness Light" of  previous doctrinal standpoint. :)))))   

Question is: Why would God want for minority of His people to know "The Truth" and to be able and in position to offer "unspoiled sacrifice, sacrifice without blame", ...... but for majority of His Flock He don't care and left them to be "unclean" spiritually and physically?? 

Irrational and illogical God? Or people can not understand His strange instructions ....from human standpoint of view ? 

Or, all is about Human Leadership who playing games/experiments with life of people/members/followers.

11 hours ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

Make your excuses for them if it pleases you @Anna 

They did not ban it at first as it would have lost them many members and that would have lost them many $$$$$$. 

It's all about the money and the power. They were wise enough to wait, but they knew in the late 1800's.

How gullible are you @Anna

Why even admit the case of smoking and Christmas? Nobody was asking about it. It was not necessary for either of them to be mentioned. In any case, why ban Christmas and smoking at all if it meant losing members? Regardless of what period of time. Why was it wise to wait? Was losing members no longer a worry later on? Or was something else more important than losing members?

Both topics were mentioned in the chapter "Moral Refinements"

• Similar Content

• By Queen Esther
      The  CO - class,  learning  in  a  course  in  Bethel  *Mill  Hill*  -
      Left  side  first  is  GB  Brother  Barba !   A  friend-sister  met  him  by  a  New york  Bethel  visit,   she  got  alot  pictures
      That  picture  is  from  the  past  ~  Bro. Barba  is  now  in  Heaven  by  the  others  from  NY.
    • By The Librarian
      except for the sister of course... LOL...
    • By Jack Ryan
      Beards and Special Privileges

https://we.tl/QoXBKLTp4L

via @Atlantis4

• By Queen Esther
      BEARD ?       
      In your region as seen?  We will be reading them  -
      ( photo @ antonito36 )
      ( for  Germany  its  too  much...  not  allowed )    And  in  your  region,  country ?
    • By TrueTomHarley
      I knew Seth Sheepngoats would pull something like this, I knew it! The tip-off should have been when I saw him go into that costume shop.
      He arrived at the Kingdom Hall just like anyone else yesterday. But halfway through the Watchtower Study, he reached into his bag and tied something behind his neck.
      When he emerged, it was with a huge, magnificent Santa Claus beard!
      He is such an idiot!

• By James Thomas Rook Jr.
      This continuous, never-ending global controversy has been going on since the 1960's, that I am aware of personally, and even before, when Judge Rutherford PERSONALLY forbade beards among Jehovah's witnesses, with the possible exception of post-menopausel Sisters .... and the Society has never definitively stated ANYTHING. 
      With my usual lack of humor I present the Draft Copy of the December 2016 issue of the Watchtower which showed a Brother shaving on the cover ... it was changed before being distributed, because the Brothers responsible for the VERY GOOD and accurate article ... disappeared mysteriously.
      After you save the file to your hard drive, from the TOOL BAR, be sure to set your ADOBE PDF reader under VIEW to "Reading Mode" and under ZOOM,  "Fit Page" to read it.
      Dec 2016 Watchtower draft article .pdf

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      I noticed the beard  

• By The Librarian
      From latest WT Study Edition
      This should cause some interesting showdowns in congregations all over the United States. LOL

Which reminded me of this comical infographic:

• By Jack Ryan
      An official Austria Watchtower delegation meeting with government and religion leaders of that country.

What was the job title of Walter SchneeweiB?
    • By Γιαννης Διαμαντιδης
      Is it scripturally correct to press the brothers in the congregation to remove all facial hair (beard) except the mustache?
    • By Γιαννης Διαμαντιδης
      In the light of bible verse Acts 15:19: "Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles", is it scripturally correct to use unnecessary and unscriptural strict rules inside the congregation?  for example to press the brothers in the congregation to remove all facial hair (beard) except the moustache? In my area we have very much pressure from elders to abide to any given personal rule (given verbally and never written). This behavior reminds me the Amish community. They tend shunning technology and they suffer because of that, because technology is cheap and makes life easier. Maybe are we becoming also religious extremists ?
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    RafaelMens
    Newest Member
    RafaelMens

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.