Queen Esther

• Views 4.8k
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A  letter  personal  of  JW  C. T.  Russel !  Its  hand-writed,  now  safe  in  a  Bethel  house.... We  can  see  it  in  Bethel  *London* ;-))      March 21, 0 [1900] Dear Brother,

Bad use of (parentheses). "Liverpool (for London)" is what I meant. The PSL Johnson story is quite interesting. He had worked with Russell, too. In fact PSL Johnson was the one who tried to keep

Thanks @Queen Esther for posting this. Here's what it looks like it says to me:                                                                                        March 21, 0 [1900] De

Posted Images

16 hours ago, JW Insider said:

My love to you & to all the dear ones with whom you are now associating - Bro. F. et al.

In the letter it almost looks like Russell is referring to a Brother "Fetal." What I'm sure he means is that both of them know a brother in or around London whose name starts with "F" (probably a leading Pilgrim, Colporteur, speaker, or brother who has been been organizing Bible Students in London). 19th-century writing used this practice of reducing a person's name to an initial a lot more often than we do today. The Watch Tower publications still use this practice now and then, based on very similar reasons:

*** w87 8/1 p. 25 A Young One Praises Jehovah ***
His mother asked him: “What do you want to be when you grow up?” The boy . . . replied: “I want to become a special pioneer like Brother F——.”

*** w54 8/1 p. 460 Last Stop—British Guiana ***
To be told “I’m not interested” or some other positive refusal is a very rare occurrence in house-to-house witnessing. You are more likely to hear, as a brother did after the convention from a new Bible study interest: “I understand that in your organization they call you Brother H——, so may I call you Brother H——?”

The other expression "et al" just means "and others." So that basically this last sentence probably means that Russell is sending love to Henninges and all the dear ones he will now be associating with including Brother F and others. (I have no idea who Brother "F" might have been.)

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.