Bible Speaks

Anxiety and Depression - Don't Judge! Help Them ?

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Bible Speaks -
Queen Esther -

Top Posters

All  JW  learning & must  try  doing  that !  I  know  a  deaf  Bible-student  in  the  US.  and  she  has  different  of  these  mental  disorders :( Thats  not  easy  to  handle,  it  takes  alot  patience & sensitivity.  Both  I  got  as  a  gift  from  Jehovah :)

Meanwhile,  I  know  her  pretty  good,  but  such  of  humans  are  really  a  big  challenge.  Every  day  we  can't  endure  that,  but  Jehovah  can,  when  they  talk  to  HIM  in  prayers

• Similar Content

• Guest Indiana
    • By Jack Ryan
      Quote from a recent Watchtower....
      Erm no...
      The fact that millions of people KILL THEMSELVES every year shows us this cannot possibly be true.
      People commit suicide BECAUSE they can't cope with the stress anymore.
      Well they could argue "well they didn't ask for God's help..."
      Yea, well you know countless numbers of JWs sadly commit suicide too right...?
      So where was God when HIS people needed him eh?
      Just annoys me that they are adamant and blindly believe that God will be the "cure-all" but mostly that it trivialises suicide, which is a serious issue.
      I am so glad I'm not involved anymore!
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      As more and more people discuss mental health issues in public forums, it seems to be lifting some of the stigma surrounding the topic. New research reveals that the number of students seeking help for mental health problems has risen considerably between 2009 and 2015.
      Anxiety, depression, and panic attacks are on the rise among U.S. college students, suggests a new study.
      Sara Oswalt, from the University of Texas at San Antonio, is the lead author of the new study, which was published in the Journal of American College Health.
      According to estimates that the scientists cite, around 26 percent of people aged 18 and above in the United States live with a mental health condition in any given year.
      https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323489.php
    • By Bible Speaks
      Never Be Anxious! 
      Dealing with anxiety about         your past 
      3 "My whole body is sick
      because of your indignation.
      There is no peace within my bones because of my sin."
       4 "For my errors loom over my head; Like a heavy burden, they are too much for me to bear."

8 "I have grown numb and become completely crushed; My anguished heart makes me groan aloud."
      18 "I confessed my error;
      I was troubled by my sin."
       5 "Finally I confessed my sin to you; I did not cover my error.
      I said: “I will confess my transgressions to Jehovah.”
      And you pardoned the error of my sins."
      (Psalms 32:5) NWT
      32 "Happy is the one whose transgression is pardoned, whose sin is covered."
       2 "Happy is the man whom Jehovah does not charge with guilt, In whose spirit there is no deceit."
       3 "When I kept silent, my bones wasted away because of my groaning all day long."
      (Psalms 32:1-3) NWT
      jw.org

• By Bible Speaks
      Throw All Your Anxiety on Jehovah 
      What can we do when we are overwhelmed with feelings of anxiety?  Our loving Heavenly Father came to the aid of his servants of the past, & today he makes it possible for us to gain considerable relief from distress or anxiety. 
      The Bible urges us:
      6 "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time,"
      7 "while you throw all your anxiety
      on him, because he cares for you."
      (1 Peter 5:6,7) NWT 
      Consider ways that you can do-so by means of heart felt prayer, by reading God's Word and mediating on it, by tapping into Jehovah's Holy Spirit & by sharing your feelings with a trusted confidant. 

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Nearly 80 genes that could be linked to depression have been discovered by scientists.
      The findings could help explain why some people may be at a higher risk of developing the condition, researchers say.
      The study could also help researchers develop drugs to tackle mental ill-health, experts say.
      Depression affects one in five people in the UK every year and is the leading cause of disability worldwide. Life events - such as trauma or stress - can contribute to its onset, but it is not clear why some people are more likely to develop the condition than others.
      Scientists led by the University of Edinburgh analysed data from UK Biobank - a research resource containing health and genetic information for half a million people.
      They scanned the genetic code of 300,000 people to identify areas of DNA that could be linked to depression.
      Some of the pinpointed genes are known to be involved in the function of synapses, tiny connectors that allow brain cells to communicate with each other through electrical and chemical signals.
      Read more: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-04/uoe-dsp041318.php
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Chester Bennington's widow says that she was "completely surprised" by her husband's passing, explaining that she believed Chris Cornell's death only two months earlier would serve as a deterrent against suicide to the LINKIN PARK singer.
      Chester was found dead on July 20, 2017 — on what would have been the 53rd birthday of his late friend and fellow rocker, SOUNDGARDEN frontman Chris Cornell.
      After Cornell died in May 2017 as a result of suicide by hanging himself inside his Detroit hotel room, Chester wrote a letter thanking him for inspiring him and hoping he would find peace in "the next life."
      On Wednesday (January 31), Talinda Bennington touched upon her tragic loss during an appearance at the Canadian Event Safety Summit, where she spoke with Anna Shinoda(wife of Mike Shinoda, who is also in LINKIN PARK) and Jim Digby (LINKIN PARK's production manager). The event focused on mental illness in the music industry, but much of the panel's discussion centered on life after Chester's death.
      Talinda, who married Chester in 2005 and had three kids with the late singer, said (see video below): "[Chester and I] were both very emotionally unhealthy in our own different ways, and over our time together — we were together for 12 and a half years — we both grew. He struggled with addiction and depression, two things that I've never struggled with. Although I do have my own demons, I did have my hardships growing up, we just handled them in very different ways. So I came from a point of complete — for lack of a better term — ignorance to his situation. But over time, I came to learn that taking care of your mental health is as important as your physical health."
      Read more: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/chester-benningtons-widow-says-her-husbands-suicide-was-a-complete-surprise/
    • By The Librarian
      Allen Malcolm - Do Not Be Anxious Over Anything.mp3
      Agape!
      @The Librarian
    • By The Librarian
      Aljian Edward - Have No Anxiety.mp3
      Original
      Aljian Edward - Have No Anxiety Ver 2.mp3
      Version 2
      Aljian Edward - Have No Anxiety Ver 3.mp3
      Version 3

Agape!
      @The Librarian
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      The number of American teens with depressed thoughts has been increasing since 2012. Looking at the data, it's possible to rule out some factors that might be causing it, like economic inequality and academic pressure. Jean Twenge, author of "iGen," believes all signs point to increased smartphone use as the likely cause. Twenge says it's not necessarily the screen time but the time that's lost to smartphones that could be spent on more meaningful activities, like face-to-face interaction. Around 2012, something started going wrong in the lives of teens.
      In just the five years between 2010 and 2015, the number of U.S. teens who felt useless and joyless – classic symptoms of depression – surged 33 percent in large national surveys. Teen suicide attempts increased 23 percent. Even more troubling, the number of 13- to 18-year-olds who committed suicide jumped 31 percent.
      In a new paper published in Clinical Psychological Science, my colleagues and I found that the increases in depression, suicide attempts and suicide appeared among teens from every background – more privileged and less privileged, across all races and ethnicities and in every region of the country.
      All told, our analysis found that the generation of teens I call "iGen" – those born after 1995 – is much more likely to experience mental health issues than their millennial predecessors.
      What happened so that so many more teens, in such a short period of time, would feel depressed, attempt suicide and commit suicide?
      Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-number-of-teens-who-are-depressed-is-soaring-2017-11
    • By James Thomas Rook Jr.
      WOULD YOU PAY SOMEONE $80 AN HOUR TO CUDDLE YOU?
      My Dad, whose religion was United States Navy, often lamented that in the "early days" of the United States Navy, the men were made of steel, and the ships were made of wood ... but today ... the ships are made of steel, and the men are made of wood.
      With that in mind,  there are people SO UPSET that Trump won the Presidency that they are paying "professional Cuddlers" to hold them while they sob and moan.
      I know that on some college campi that they have "safe spaces" where it is not allowed to MENTION that Trump won ... and folks are furnished coloring books, crayons, and teddy bears to hug .. at taxpayer (subsidized) expense.
      Here is an article about the Cuddlers that is absolutely unbelievable .... but true.
      http://www.mrctv.org/blog/anti-trumpers-are-paying-80-hour-be-professionally-cuddled?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTURnNU56TTVNalUxTUdVNSIsInQiOiJZcGxWZ3dSdVNQN0dIdnh1OFVSYUViYUJDcWkyZUc4dnEyXC9SVUNJRVk2WUhRRGY2UWxROUV4TnBhR2ZDb2VscEVPM1wvK2xPNlhKZnFxVTdoUDNMM3FxSU8yQWx6ZGlLUWFMMDJHWTJCRUE5RXpoZGNPSm11UDB0N0hCQ1Q0VTZxIn0%3D
      I think the "herd" needs to be thinned out.

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      At an office for Healthy Minds in High Wycombe, England, psychological well-being practitioners perform hourlong evaluations over the phone to decide what type of therapy is most appropriate for people who call asking for help. CreditAndrew Testa for The New York Times

LONDON — England is in the midst of a unique national experiment, the world’s most ambitious effort to treat depression, anxiety and other common mental illnesses.
      The rapidly growing initiative, which has gotten little publicity outside the country, offers virtually open-ended talk therapy free of charge at clinics throughout the country: in remote farming villages, industrial suburbs, isolated immigrant communities and high-end enclaves. The goal is to eventually create a system of primary care for mental health not just for England but for all of Britain.
      At a time when many nations are debating large-scale reforms to mental health care, researchers and policy makers are looking hard at England’s experience, sizing up both its popularity and its limitations. Mental health care systems vary widely across the Western world, but none have gone nearly so far to provide open-ended access to talk therapies backed by hard evidence. Experts say the English program is the first broad real-world test of treatments that have been studied mostly in carefully controlled lab conditions.
      Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/health/england-mental-health-treatment-therapy.html 

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      It’s common for people who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) to also struggle with depression. Now, a small study published in the journal Gastroenterology suggests that taking a probiotic supplement may provide relief from both conditions.
      The randomized, placebo-controlled trial shows a connection between probiotics and mood improvement in people with IBS and depression or anxiety, as well as changes in brain regions related to emotional processing. Most previous research on this topic has been on healthy people without mood disorders.
      For the new research, scientists from McMaster University in Canada recruited 44 adults with IBS as well as mild to moderate anxiety or depression. They were followed for 10 weeks; half took a daily dose of the probiotic Bifidobacteriumlongum, and half took a placebo. The probiotics were manufactured and provided by Nestle, which also funded the study. (Nestle was not involved in collection, analysis or interpretation of study data.)
      Continue reading
    • By The Librarian
      These coping strategies can help you take the necessary steps toward healing.
      Source
    • Guest Nicole
    • By Bible Speaks
      Anxiety and Depression Don't Judge...Help Them....
      You will never truly understand something until it actually happens to YOU!

5 "Every saying of God is refined.
      He is a shield to those taking refuge in him."
       ( Proverbs 30:5) NWT 
                jw.org

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Date:
      December 20, 2016
      Source:
      University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences
      Summary:
      Compared with the total time spent on social media, use of multiple platforms is more strongly associated with depression and anxiety among young adults, researchers have found in a national survey. People who report using seven to 11 social media platforms had more than three times the risk of depression and anxiety than their peers who use zero to two platforms, even after adjusting for the total time spent on social media overall.

Compared with the total time spent on social media, use of multiple platforms is more strongly associated with depression and anxiety among young adults.
      Credit: Tim Betler/UPMC
      Compared with the total time spent on social media, use of multiple platforms is more strongly associated with depression and anxiety among young adults, the University of Pittsburgh Center for Research on Media, Technology and Health (CRMTH) found in a national survey.
      The analysis, published online and scheduled for the April print issue of the journal Computers in Human Behavior, showed that people who report using seven to 11 social media platforms had more than three times the risk of depression and anxiety than their peers who use zero to two platforms, even after adjusting for the total time spent on social media overall.
      "This association is strong enough that clinicians could consider asking their patients with depression and anxiety about multiple platform use and counseling them that this use may be related to their symptoms," said lead author and physician Brian A. Primack, M.D., Ph.D., director of CRMTH and assistant vice chancellor for health and society in Pitt's Schools of the Health Sciences. "While we can't tell from this study whether depressed and anxious people seek out multiple platforms or whether something about using multiple platforms can lead to depression and anxiety, in either case the results are potentially valuable."
      In 2014, Primack and his colleagues sampled 1,787 U.S. adults ages 19 through 32, using an established depression assessment tool and questionnaires to determine social media use.
      The questionnaires asked about the 11 most popular social media platforms at the time: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Google Plus, Instagram, Snapchat, Reddit, Tumblr, Pinterest, Vine and LinkedIn.
      Participants who used seven to 11 platforms had 3.1 times the odds of reporting higher levels of depressive symptoms than their counterparts who used zero to two platforms. Those who used the most platforms had 3.3 times the odds of high levels of anxiety symptoms than their peers who used the least number of platforms. The researchers controlled for other factors that may contribute to depression and anxiety, including race, gender, relationship status, household income, education and total time spent on social media.
      Primack, who also is a professor of medicine at Pitt, emphasized that the directionality of the association is unclear.
      "It may be that people who suffer from symptoms of depression or anxiety, or both, tend to subsequently use a broader range of social media outlets. For example, they may be searching out multiple avenues for a setting that feels comfortable and accepting," said Primack. "However, it could also be that trying to maintain a presence on multiple platforms may actually lead to depression and anxiety. More research will be needed to tease that apart."
      Primack and his team propose several hypotheses as to why multi-platform social media use may drive depression and anxiety:
      Multitasking, as would happen when switching between platforms, is known to be related to poor cognitive and mental health outcomes. The distinct set of unwritten rules, cultural assumptions and idiosyncrasies of each platform are increasingly difficult to navigate when the number of platforms used rises, which could lead to negative mood and emotions. There is more opportunity to commit a social media faux pas when using multiple platforms, which can lead to repeated embarrassments. "Understanding the way people are using multiple social media platforms and their experiences within those platforms -- as well as the specific type of depression and anxiety that social media users experience -- are critical next steps," said co-author and psychiatrist César G. Escobar-Viera, M.D., Ph.D., a postdoctoral research associate at Pitt's Health Policy Institute and at CRMTH. "Ultimately, we want this research to help in designing and implementing educational public health interventions that are as personalized as possible."
      https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161220175543.htm
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Exercise may be an effective treatment for depression and might even help prevent us from becoming depressed in the first place, according to three timely new studies. The studies pool outcomes from past research involving more than a million men and women and, taken together, strongly suggest that regular exercise alters our bodies and brains in ways that make us resistant to despair.
      Scientists have long questioned whether and how physical activity affects mental health. While we know that exercise alters the body, how physical activity affects moods and emotions is less well understood.
      Past studies have sometimes muddied rather than clarified the body and mind connections. Some randomized controlled trials have found that exercise programs, often involving walking, ease symptoms in people with major depression.
      But many of these studies have been relatively small in scale or had other scientific deficiencies. A major 2013 review of studies related to exercise and depression concluded that, based on the evidence then available, it was impossible to say whether exercise improved the condition. Other past reviews similarly have questioned whether the evidence was strong enough to say that exercise could stave off depression.
      A group of global public-health researchers, however, suspected that newer studies and a more rigorous review of the statistical evidence might bolster the case for exercise as a treatment of and block against depression.
      So for the new analyses, they first gathered all of the most recent and best-designed studies about depression and exercise.
      Then, for perhaps the most innovative of the new studies, which was published last month in Preventive Medicine, they focused on whether exercise could help to prevent someone from developing depression.
      The scientists knew that many past studies of that topic had relied on people providing reports about how much they had exercised. We human beings tend to be notoriously unreliable in our memories of past workouts, though.
      So the researchers decided to use only past studies that had objectively measured participants’ aerobic fitness, which will rise or fall depending on whether and how much someone exercises. Participants’ mental health also had to have been determined with standard testing at the start and finish of the studies, and the follow-up time needed to have been at least a year and preferably longer.
      Ultimately, the researchers found several large-scale past studies that met their criteria. Together, they contained data on more than 1,140,000 adult men and women.
      Among these million-plus people, the links between fitness and mental health turned out to be considerable. When the researchers divided the group into thirds, based on how aerobically fit they were, those men and women with the lowest fitness were about 75 percent more likely to have been given diagnoses of depression than the people with the greatest fitness. The men and women in the middle third were almost 25 percent more likely to develop depression than those who were the most fit.
      In a separate study (some of the scientists were involved in each of the reviews), researchers looked at whether exercise might be useful as a treatment for depression. In that analysis, which was published in June in the Journal of Psychiatric Research, they pooled data from 25 past studies in which people with clinically diagnosed depression began some type of exercise program. Each study had to include a control group that did not exercise and be otherwise methodologically sophisticated.
      The pooled results persuasively showed that exercise, especially if it is moderately strenuous, such as brisk walking or jogging, and supervised, so that people complete the entire program, has a “large and significant effect” against depression, the authors wrote. People’s mental health tended to demonstrably improve if they were physically active.
      The final review offers some hints about why. Published in February in Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, it took on the difficult issue of what happens within our bodies during and after exercise that might affect and improve our moods. The researchers analyzed 20 past studies in which scientists had obtained blood samples from people with major depression before and after they had exercised. The samples on the whole indicated that exercise significantly reduced various markers of inflammation and increased levels of a number of different hormones and other biochemicals that are thought to contribute to brain health.
      But the researchers also caution that most of the physiological studies they reviewed were too small and short-term to allow for firm conclusions about how exercise might change the brain to help fight off gloom.
      Still, the three reviews together make a sturdy case for exercise as a means to bolster mental as well as physical health, said Felipe Barreto Schuch, an exercise scientist at the Centro Universitário La Salle in Canoas, Brazil, who, with Brendon Stubbs, a professor at King’s College in London, was a primary author on all of the reviews.

Many more experiments are still needed to determine the ideal amounts and types of exercise that might help both to prevent and treat depression, Dr. Schuch said.
      But he encouraged anyone feeling overwhelmed by recent events, or just by life, to go for a run or a bike ride. “The main message” of his and his colleagues’ reviews, he said, “is that people need to be active to improve their mental health.”
      http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/well/move/how-exercise-might-keep-depression-at-bay.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fwell&action=click&contentCollection=well&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=1
    • By Jack Ryan
      Brother Nathan Fuel delivers a talk entitled Depression Is A Part Of This Life.
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      The driver of an SUV whose car was left covered in body parts when a suicidal construction worker landed on it after jumping from 53 stories is suing his employers.
      Donna Crockett has filed a suit against Turner Construction accusing them of negligence, strict liability for an ultra-hazardous activity and loss of consortium between spouses.
      She was kept in hospital for 10 hours after electrician Joseph Sabbatino fell 800ft from the $1billion Wilshire Grand Center in Los Angeles onto her vehicle - and says she cannot get over the horrific scene.
      Ms Crockett is now seeking unspecified damages alleging that Turner Construction should have been aware of Sabbatino's condition and were negligent in hiring him.
      Turner Construction have not yet commented on the case.
      Coroner's lieutenant David Smith earlier confirmed that the 36-year-old's death - on only his second day on the job - was suicide.
      Sabbatino's father Vance revealed that his son had a long battle with depression and had been taking medication before his death.
      His devastated wife Melken Sabbatino wrote on Facebook after his tragic death that she was 'thinking about my husband. Missing you.' 
      Authorities found that the married Jehovah's Witness had removed his helmet and had not been wearing a harness before the fall.
      Turner Construction released a statement to say there had been a safety barrier on the 53rd floor to prevents falls, and that the incident had not been work related.
      Around 1,000 employees were given the day off following Sabbatino's death.
      Horrified witnesses described the moment they saw Sabbatino fall to his death and land on a car below.
      James Armstrong III, who had been walking to a nearby bank moments after the fall, said Ms Crockett had been 'hysterical' and waving her hands in the air.
      'It's really taken a toll on me, because right now, I'm not strong and right now I am hurting,' Ms Crockett told KTLA.
      'It was traumatic, it something that I never thought I would have to see.'
      She was taken to hospital after the incident in shock.
      Mel Melcon, an LA Times photographer, was on assignment at the building when he noticed the man's body lying 'off the driver's side of the car.'
      'It sounded like a bag of cement fell off the edge of the building,' he said.
      'No one thought it was a body,' Mr Melcon told his paper. 'We heard no screams.' 
      The vehicle escaped major damage but the rear side panel was splattered with blood, officials said.  
      After Sabbatino's body hit Donna Crockett's car, she got out and saw 'brain and other internal bodily matter splattered across her vehicle and the surrounding scene', CBS reported.
      The suit says Crockett had never before seen a dead body and the experience left her 'shocked, overwhelmed, panicked, distressed and completely distraught.'  
      For confidential support in the U.S., call the National Suicide Prevention Line on 1-800-273-8255. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3685865/Woman-sues-construction-company-electrician-working-skyscraper-jumped-53-stories-death-landed-car.html

• By io.porog
      Depression is more than just a fleeting downer. We all have downers but they usually short lived. However, when a downer lasts several weeks, it is likely that a person has clinical depression. One's perception of themselves, others and their environment becomes noticeably negative and it can be very hard for a person to lift themselves out of the mire. Telling them to snap out of it, or that it is temporary often has the reverse effect desired. Often just a very patient listening ear is the best treatment that I've found with friends who suffer from depression. What do you think depression is? How do think it should be viewed? What do you think can help a person recover?
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Joseph Sabbatino leaped to his death from the 53rd story of L.A.'s Wilshire Grand Center on Friday The married 36-year-old, who was taking medication for depression, landed on the hood of a passing car below  Sabbatino was also found to have removed his helmet and had not been wearing a safety harness A Los Angeles County Coroner has now ruled that Sabbatino's tragic death was a suicide; no note has been discovered  Motorist Donna Crockett was hysterical after he landed on her car and said it had 'really taken a toll' on her  A statement from Turner Construction says the death was not a work related incident, indication it may have been a suicide  

An electrician who plunged 53 floors to his death after leaping from the West Coast's highest skyscraper committed suicide, a coroner has ruled.
      Joseph Sabbatino was only on his second day on the job at the construction site of the unfinished, $1billion Wilshire Grand Center when he plummeted 800 feet onto the trunk of a car that was passing below.
      Coroner's Lt. David Smith confirmed today that the 36-year-old's death was a suicide.
      Sabbatino's father Vance revealed that his son had a long battle with depression and had been taking medication before his death.
      His devastated wife Melken Sabbatino wrote on Facebook after his tragic death that she was 'thinking about my husband. Missing you.' 
      Authorities found that the married Jehovah's Witness had removed his helmet and had not been wearing a harness before the fall on Friday- as he was only contracted to work on the lower levels
      Turner Construction has since released a statement to say there had been a safety barrier on the 53rd floor to prevents falls, and that the incident had not been work related. Around 1,000 employees were given the day off following Sabbatino's death.
      Horrified witnesses described the moment they saw Sabbatino fall to his death and land on a car below.
      James Armstrong III had been walking to a nearby bank moments after the fall said motorist Donna Crockett had been 'hysterical' and waving her hands in the air.
      'It's really taken a toll on me, because right now, I'm not strong and right now I am hurting,' Crockett told KTLA. 'It was traumatic, it something that I never thought I would have to see.'
      She was taken to hospital after the incident in shock.
      Mel Melcon, an LA Times photographer, was on assignment at the building when he noticed the man's body lying 'off the driver's side of the car.'
      'It sounded like a bag of cement fell off the edge of the building,' he said.
      'No one thought it was a body,' Melcon told his paper. 'We heard no screams.' 
      The vehicle escaped major damage but the rear side panel was splattered with blood, officials said.  
      'We have confirmed with (California's Division of Occupational Safety and Health and Los Angeles police) that the incident which occurred at the Wilshire Grand project site on March 17 was not work-related,' a statement issued by Turner Construction read.
      Work was shut down Friday and counselors would be on hand for employees, the statement said.
      Ed Winter, assistant chief Los Angeles County Coroner, said as far as he knew, there was no suicide note.
      Winter said the man, a new employee on his second day on the job, died instantly. The investigation will continue. 
      Chris Martin, CEO of Martin Project Management, which is supervising the construction, said there were barricades around the edge of the building and other safety measures in place.
      All of the building's 891 workers had undergone training, Martin said.
      'There's safety training for every worker on the job, and certain locations there's very specialized training. So these are all smart people,' Martin said. 'We had no injuries up to this date.' 
      When asked whether there might have been any electrical work that needed doing near the edge of the building, Martin said there wasn't.
      The paper also reported that there was an eight-foot-high 'integrity fence' in place to keep workers and equipment from falling off the tower.
      No tethering harness was seen on the man's body, although employees are required to wear one when working.
      A construction worker who spoke to the Times on condition of anonymity said that he saw the man's body, and initially thought the woman had run him over. 
      'We asked the driver: 'Did you run this man over?' She said no,' the worker said. 'That's when I knew he had fallen off the building.'
      He added that when he returned to the building he found a hard hat with the dead man's employee number on the 53rd floor.
      Maurice Lopez, who works at the neighboring Bonaventure said he was saddened to hear that someone working on the building he watched go up for years had died.
      That's crazy. Usually when you walk by here, you see the guys up there attached to something,' Lopez, 50, of Los Angeles told the LA Times. 'Now I'm gonna feel sick walking by here.'
      This is the first accident to happen at the location, the Times reported. There were around 850 workers on the site as of last week.  
      The Wilshire Grand Center is located on South Figueroa Street, at one of the busiest intersections in the city. The man's fall resulted in disruption to traffic flow.
      Upon completion, the $1billion skycraper, which has been under construction for two years, will be the tallest building west of the Mississippi. It will reach a height of 73 stories and will be 1,100 feet tall, including a 100-foot spire.
      It is expected to open early 2017. 
      Family and friends paid tribute to the 'sweet' man with a 'good heart' that was always so full of life.
      Susanne Dean wrote on Facebook: 'Joseph was very sweet and made us laugh and we had some good times with him...my boys thought he was so cool to invite them over to play video games and just hang out.
      'He was full of hope and life. That is the Joseph that we will remember.'
      Eric Mutuc added: 'Joseph was a friend of mine when we were children. He had a good heart, and although he may not have ever known it, I loved him like a brother. 
      Jerron Ragan said: 'Rest in peace Joseph Sabbatino. You were always a good friend. I'll miss you.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3508352/LA-electrician-36-plunged-53-stories-death-West-Coast-s-highest-skyscraper-committed-suicide-coroner-rules.html

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    didiervaissiere
    Newest Member
    didiervaissiere

• Topics

• I voted your remark "sad" because it truly is. It is a meaningless non-sequitur with no relevance ... which you think is profound.
    • Maybe you jw's will get lucky and your hero Hitler will start ruling again.
    • Trump is a pugilist, fully capable of vulgarity. It doesn’t really bother me. In some regards, it is refreshingly candid. It is not for nothing that the Bible calls the political nations “beasts.” They behave that way—ripping and tearing at each other and indeed, at anyone who gets in their way. So I am not put off by someone who drops the pretense and carries on to call a spade a spade. As much as ones might like the facade of being “presidential,” and of respecting the “dignity” of fellow world leaders, ought they not produce results to earn that respect? The hospital operating room can expect awed dignity when it routinely save lives—conducting the most delicate of procedures. But if the results degenerate to indistinguishable from that of a butcher shop, surely that aura of admiration will fade. “Laws are like sausages. It’s better not to see them being made,” is the old saying, and it is the butcher shop comparison that wins out over the precision operating room. It almost does my heart good to see Trump brawling with his political counterparts as they do their utmost to preserve “dignity.”  Moreover, you would almost expect Jehovah’s (American) servants to see that. They don’t because they truly are apolitical. They follow politics hardly at all, and there is a fair number of them that consider even a comment about the topic as akin to ripping a loud one at the concert hall—it is just gauche—it is as though deliberately contaminating the soufflé with the street rock salt. The JW Governing Body works hard to keep the squabbles of politics out of the congregation and to safeguard its neutrality.  Keeping truly neutral is not easy. Geoffrey Jackson reflects on how (Australian) candidates of his youth offered dramatically different proposals regarding the military draft—a matter that would affect him greatly. Updating his struggle to the present—adapting it to brothers today who might be personally advantaged or disadvantaged by the proposals of a given political figure—he ventured on how some might truly strive to be neutral and yet in the back of their head was the thought: “I hope that idiot doesn’t come into power.” He said it about two years ago. It is impossible for me not to wonder what “idiot”—if there was one—he had in mind.  Of course, Witnesses are politically neutral due to their advocacy for God’s kingdom—the one of the Sermon on the Mount—“thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” “God’s will is done in heaven,” I tell the householder as I glance upward. “I mean, I guess it is—surely he has it all running smoothly up there—but it sure isn’t done on earth. Pockets of it here and there may be, but nobody would ever say that the world runs that way it does today according to God’s will. According to the prayer, we should not expect that until the kingdom comes.” Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t go campaigning for human governments because they are announcing God’s government which will tackle and solve the problems human governments consistently flounder on. If Witnesses today did reflect on national politics—and the particulars are replicated in many nations—they might reflect that Trump’s enemies are the “one world government” people of the humanist variety—180 degrees apart from the one world government of the “God’s kingdom” variety. They are the humanists who would rise above national boundaries to blur or even erase them. They are humanists who yet pursue the dream of the League of Nations, reinvigorated after WWII as the United Nations. A worldwide blending of peoples and their interests into one common government by man, incorporating whatever is the humanistic thinking holding sway at the time. These ones fully expect those of government (largely themselves) to be granted dignity in light of the noble task they have assumed—it doesn’t matter if praiseworthy results are slow to come—it is the intention that matters. The common working people know it is a crock. They see their own interests being sold out for the loftier “higher” interests of these they would call the “elites.” Their economic interests are tamped down. Their moral values are shoved aside. They are astounded, to take an example, to think that biological differences should not determine male and female, and dismayed to see the view that completely defies their common sense and all of recorded history take the world by storm under the new tidal wave of humanists. They don’t think these guys deserve any dignity at all, so when a photo-shopped Trump is bare-knuckle boxing with the CNN moniker (bastion of world-government think), they love it, and they also love it that the dignified crowd are aghast. ....To highlight the GB’s challenge in encouraging all to stay on the same neutral page, I wrote the following in No Fake News but Plenty of Hogwash: “They just about succeeded in their mission to re-instill complete neutrality – they were alllmmoooost there, when along came the summer Olympics in Rio. On the second day of the Olympics, I mentioned to Tom Pearlsnswine in the field ministry that Hillary had worn a bright pants suit. “Christians are no part of the world!” he rebuked me. On the third day of the Olympics, at the Kingdom Hall, I told him that Trump had tied his shoe. “We must fix our eyes on Jerusalem above!” he said. On the fifth day of the Olympics, I dropped by his home while he was watching the games on TV. He screamed: “Look at that medal count, Tommy!” he shouted. “We’re cleaning up!”  
  • Popular Now