The World News Media

Is JW.org the most widely recognized international brand logo?

The Librarian

• Views 2.1k
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This logo is tied to the organization as a cross is to Christians?  Interesting subject really, i mean when one sees a person wearing a cross around their neck, it is assumed that they "worship"

I see that you'd rather discuss this portion of my comment than the context of my statement.   Reasoning book: "Cross Definition: The device on which Jesus Christ was executed is

Even jw.org tattoos have been suggested! Certainly crosses feature quite prominently in body art. The same book you quote, same page, shows that over the years, the realization of the unchristi

Posted Images

Certainly it is highly recognisable. I do not know how big as a brand, you would have to do a pretty extensive survey to evidence that.

What I do know is that this service year, the logo was prominently placed on our Kindom Hall external wall. I spoke to several hundred people in the territory to invite to the memorial. Without exception, they all knew exactly where the Kingdom Hall was! Some even said something like 'you are in that building with the blue sign aren't you?' That didn't happen last year.

This logo effectively ties us, our communication channels, and our meeting places to one source in people's minds, with more visual impact than the old Watchtower symbol.

• 2 weeks later...

This logo is tied to the organization as a cross is to Christians? 

Interesting subject really, i mean when one sees a person wearing a cross around their neck, it is assumed that they "worship" it. Isn't that true? But now with this logo the same is not applied? 

------Reasoning from the scriptures------

Is veneration of the cross a Scriptural practice?

1 Cor. 10:14: “My beloved ones, flee from idolatry.” (An idol is an image or symbol that is an object of intense devotion, veneration, or worship.)

I see that you'd rather discuss this portion of my comment than the context of my statement.

Reasoning book:

"Cross

Definition: The device on which Jesus Christ was executed is referred to by most of Christendom as a cross. The expression is drawn from the Latin crux.

What were the historical origins of Christendom’s cross?"

God's Kindgom Rules! Page 103:

Should Christians Use the Cross?
12 For many years, the Bible Students viewed the cross
as an acceptable symbol of Christianity.

Further in the God's Kingdom Rules! book on page 104, 

"Yet, at first, the Bible
Students saw no objection to what they thought were appropriate
uses of the cross. For example, they proudly wore
a cross-and-crown pin as an identifying badge."

Is this not going on today with the new logo? I see it displayed and up for sale on pins and socks, bags and shirts. 

Even jw.org tattoos have been suggested! Certainly crosses feature quite prominently in body art.

41 minutes ago, Shiwiii said:

"Yet, at first, the Bible
Students saw no objection to what they thought were appropriate
uses of the cross. For example, they proudly wore
a cross-and-crown pin as an identifying badge."

The same book you quote, same page, shows that over the years, the realization of the unchristian origins and use of the cross symbol made it not just unnecessary but objectionable, so these pins are no longer used. 

So the issue was not over the use of a badge or pin, but more about the cross symbol incorporated in it's design.

With regard to the jw.org logo, I do note the proliferation of cottage industry including the logo in various paraphernalia offered for sale. Possibly a distasteful development for some. Maybe a copyright infringement, others assert, but I would leave that evaluation to more qualified legal minds.

However, I have yet to see any evidence presented to equate it with false religious idols from ancient times. 

So for me, apart from the obvious use of the logo for branding of media and property belonging to the official organisational entities of Jehovah's Witnesses, all these other private uses of it remain for now, simply a matter of personal choice, governed by good taste and conscience.

2 hours ago, Shiwiii said:

Interesting subject really, i mean when one sees a person wearing a cross around their neck, it is assumed that they "worship" it. Isn't that true?

As for this portion of your comment, my response to the question is quite simply No!

I see many wearing crosses today either as jewelry or body art  who see it purely as a decorative item. Some of them are professed atheists.

I myself wore a cross as a piece of jewelry long before I became a Christian. Worship of it was the furthest thing from my mind at that time.

Incidentally whilst visiting a capital city in Europe recently, I witnessed a street fight over an automobile incident. One man was attempting to beat another with a large golden crucifix on a chain that he had been wearing at the time. I had no assumption that he was worshipping that item.

6 hours ago, Eoin Joyce said:

..so these pins are no longer used. 

Oh but they are, and even more so than the cross and crown, they are being peddled as adornments, with bags and t-shirts and pins, etc.

5 hours ago, Eoin Joyce said:

As for this portion of your comment, my response to the question is quite simply No!

I see many wearing crosses today either as jewelry or body art  who see it purely as a decorative item. Some of them are professed atheists.

I myself wore a cross as a piece of jewelry long before I became a Christian. Worship of it was the furthest thing from my mind at that time.

ok, well that doesn't make you right or wrong.

1 hour ago, Shiwiii said:

Oh but they are, and even more so than the cross and crown, they are being peddled as adornments, with bags and t-shirts and pins, etc.

ok, well that doesn't make you right or wrong.

Opinion on whether I am right or wrong is not the issue for me. 

1 hour ago, Shiwiii said:

it is worship of the ORG.  plain and simple. even under the Organizations own definition. 

Again, matter of your opinion at this point in time, but very wise of you to stay clear of anything you feel that that misdirects your worship.

It's just that I am unconvinced by the statements you have made, although I thank you for expressing your opinion.

Best wishes 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.