The World News Media

How do we make sense of Romans 10:13 "Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved" and Acts 4:10,12. The answer might surprise you!

Micah Ong

Romans 10:13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” 

This would be a contradiction to the statement in the book of Acts.

Compare Acts 4:10 "let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that in the name of Jesus Christ the Naz·a·rene..."

verse 12 "there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.

It is a contradiction in the 'New World Translation.'

But Romans 10:13 from the Koine Greek(common Greek manuscripts as close as you can get to the original) you find in the Kingdom Interlinear Bible as found on the JW Library app; there is no 'Jehovah' but 'Kupiou' or 'Lord.'  Remember Thomas said "My Lord and my God."

So there is no contradiction but it is by Jesus name we get saved.

Compare also

Philippians 2:9,10 For this very reason, God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every other name, 10 so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend—of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground.

I know his name Jesus means Jehovah saves.  But that is quite different to just Jehovah which means "I Am who I Am" or "I shall become."  In Ancient Jewish times it was more about the meaning of the name than the name it self.

Jehovah had many names back then.

So one could reasonably conclude that Isaiah 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah,

“Yes, my servant whom I have chosen,

Would apply to the nation of Israel back then that were part of the old covenant.  But in Isaiah 62:2 he speaks of his people having a new name.

Acts 1:7,8 "He said to them: “It does not belong to you to know the times or seasons that the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction. 8 But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be witnesses of me(Jesus) in Jerusalem, in all Ju·deʹa and Sa·marʹi·a, and to the most distant part of the earth.”

Yes witnesses of Jesus!

Wouldn't then that be "Christians" as Jesus followers were known of back then in Antioch - followers of Christ. 
Remember Jesus came to fulfill the law and bring in a new covenant, "that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend..." and "there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved."

So it makes sense then that YHWH isn't in the Christian Greek Scriptures and his disciples never preached that name.
Please re-read our promises in the scriptures.  Our hope is more wonderful than you think.  Our God is a wonderfully loving God.  We just need to worship him with spirit and truth!
Christian regards

Micah

• Views 2.1k
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow! Whatever happened to you? These are the only relevant parts of your response. I can understand your withdrawal. Sorry to have touched such a raw nerve! 

Romans 10:13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”    This would be a contradiction to the statement in the book of Acts.   Compare Acts 4:10 "let it be kn

It's pretty much an uphill battle. The  Wt. seems to feel it necessary to forego the words, “This is my beloved Son. Hear Him!"  Luke 9:35  Did God give Jesus an "overbalanced importance" by proclaimi

Romans 10:13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” 

This would be a contradiction to the statement in the book of Acts.

Compare Acts 4:10 "let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that in the name of Jesus Christ the Naz·a·rene..."

verse 12 "there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.

It is a contradiction in the 'New World Translation.'

But Romans 10:13 from the Koine Greek(common Greek manuscripts as close as you can get to the original) you find in the Kingdom Interlinear Bible as found on the JW Library app; there is no 'Jehovah' but 'Kupiou' or 'Lord.'  Remember Thomas said "My Lord and my God."

So there is no contradiction but it is by Jesus name we get saved.

Compare also

Philippians 2:9,10 For this very reason, God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every other name, 10 so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend—of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground.

I know his name Jesus means Jehovah saves.  But that is quite different to just Jehovah which means "I Am who I Am" or "I shall become."  In Ancient Jewish times it was more about the meaning of the name than the name it self.

Jehovah had many names back then.

So one could reasonably conclude that Isaiah 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah,

“Yes, my servant whom I have chosen,

Would apply to the nation of Israel back then that were part of the old covenant.  But in Isaiah 62:2 he speaks of his people having a new name.

Acts 1:7,8 "He said to them: “It does not belong to you to know the times or seasons that the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction. 8 But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be witnesses of me(Jesus) in Jerusalem, in all Ju·deʹa and Sa·marʹi·a, and to the most distant part of the earth.”

Yes witnesses of Jesus!

Wouldn't then that be "Christians" as Jesus followers were known of back then in Antioch - followers of Christ. 
Remember Jesus came to fulfill the law and bring in a new covenant, "that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend..." and "there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved."

So it makes sense then that YHWH isn't in the Christian Greek Scriptures.
Please re-read our promises in the scriptures.  Our hope is more wonderful than you think.  Our God is a wonderfully loving God.  We just need to worship him with spirit and truth!
Christian regards

Micah

17 hours ago, Micah Ong said:

It's pretty much an uphill battle. The  Wt. seems to feel it necessary to forego the words, “This is my beloved Son. Hear Him!"  Luke 9:35  Did God give Jesus an "overbalanced importance" by proclaiming this?  Should we correct God or listen and heed the scriptures about our only source of salvation, that one can avail without the need of an organization?

The Watchtower counts everything, even how many times they have published the name, Jehovah.  

kr chapter 4, pgs 39-48, "First, Jehovah’s servants came to have the proper view of the importance of God’s name. Faithful early Bible Students viewed the ransom arrangement as the Bible’s main teaching. That explains why the Watch Tower often focused on Jesus. For example, in its first year of publication, the magazine mentioned the name Jesus ten times more than the name Jehovah. Regarding the Bible Students’ early years, The Watchtower of March 15, 1976, noted that they gave “overbalanced importance” to Jesus. In time, though, Jehovah helped them to discern the prominence that the Bible gives to God’s personal name. How did that affect the Bible Students? Especially from 1919 onward, says the same Watchtower article, “they began showing more appreciation for Messiah’s heavenly Father, Jehovah.” In fact, during the decade following 1919, The Watch Tower mentioned God’s name over 6,500 times!

10 By giving the name Jehovah proper recognition, our brothers showed their love for God’s name. Like Moses of old, they set out to “declare the name of Jehovah.” (Deut. 32:3; Ps. 34:3) In turn, as promised in the Scriptures, Jehovah took note of their love for his name and showed them favor.Ps. 119:132; Heb. 6:10."

@WitnessRight that would be around the time that Jesus or Jehovah refined and cleansed a people for his name yet, despite the failures of 1914 and 1925, Rutherford continued stating that the earthly resurrection was about to happen. In 1929, he authorised the purchase of Beth-Sarim, a house for Abraham and other resurrected Princes to live in.  Of course this failed to eventuate but Rutherford spent a lot of time there before he died and it was sold afterward.  ANOTHER FAILED PROPHECY.

You can read about the whole debacle that includes all Watchtower articles and references yet you don't hear about it in the God's Kingdom Rules book.  https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/bethsarim.php

How can Jesus have refined and be directing this group if they keep making failed prophecies.  It's a house of cards brother, don't keep buying into this false light.  The generation prophecy is ridiculous.  If you look at the Queens family there are four generations.

But I know how powerful this brainwashing is.  I grew up in it and am 34 now.  By the way I loved studying and still do and I love the Bible even more now.

25 minutes ago, Eoin Joyce said:

Yeah. They're just like that apostle Peter they keep banging on about! Birds of a feather!

Well it's all there for you to see, if you do not want to pay attention that's your choice, but you can't say you haven't been informed.  We all the have the God given gift of free will.  But I really can't understand what your saying so I may have jumped the gun.

It's good to get as much reliable information you can have before making most decisions is all that I can say for now.  Especially important ones.

1 hour ago, Micah Ong said:

I really can't understand what your saying

??? You are saying that the Governing Body (presumably? or did you mean all JWs that get things wrong? Including yourself obviously) doesn't list all it's previous failings in the Kingdom Rule book. (Did I get that right?). I was responding to that statement.

@Eoin Joyce  Yes the Governing Body of the book publishing organization.  The Corporation now known as JW.ORG.

The Leaders of a cult, oh I mean  the men taking the lead.  One would have to be deluded to keep following these men and not just Christ himself.  They just keep on keeping on with the same drone indoctrination techniques.  How is it a Bible study when all the questions and answers are there for you. 

F.O.G  Fear obligation and guilt are the tools used.

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavily burdened [by religious rituals that provide no peace], and I will give you rest [refreshing your souls with salvation]. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me [following Me as My disciple], for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest (renewal, blessed quiet) for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy [to bear] and My burden is light.”

Ok thanks for the clarification.

I'm finished because this isn't bringing out the best in me. 

11 minutes ago, Micah Ong said:

@Eoin Joyce  Yes the Governing Body

11 minutes ago, Micah Ong said:

Ok thanks for the clarification

Wow! Whatever happened to you? These are the only relevant parts of your response. I can understand your withdrawal. Sorry to have touched such a raw nerve! :(

10 hours ago, Micah Ong said:

How can Jesus have refined and be directing this group if they keep making failed prophecies.  It's a house of cards brother, don't keep buying into this false light. 

I haven’t bought into it for a long time now.

Matt 24:34 – “ I assure you: This generation will certainly not pass away until all these things take place.”

By looking deeper, we see there are several applications used for the word “generation” in the scriptures.

fathered, birth, nativity

I.that which has been begotten, men of the same stock, a family

A. the several ranks of natural descent, the successive members of a genealogy

B. metaph. a group of men very like each other in endowments, pursuits, character

i.esp. in a bad sense, a perverse nation

II.the whole multitude of men living at the same time

III.an age (i.e. the time ordinarily occupied be each successive generation), a space of 30 - 33 years

We also see there are two major generations that are addressed; a righteous one, of whose members are born of God’s spirit, with God as their Father. 1 John 5:18; 1 Pet 1:23; Phil 2:5; Mat 5:48  https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+John+5%3A18%3B+1+Pet+1%3A23%3B+Phil+2%3A5%3B+Mat+5%3A48&version=HCSB

“His descendants will be powerful in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed.”  Ps 112:2

And.. there is a wicked, crooked generation:

“His people have acted corruptly toward Him; this is their defect -- they are not His children but a devious and crooked generation.”  Deut 32:5

Satan is their father, and all of this generation are a “a group of men very like each other in endowments, pursuits, character”

Acts 2:40; 1 Tim 4:1; John 8:44; Rev 16:13 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+2%3A40%3B+1+Tim+4%3A1%3B+John+8%3A44%3B+Rev+16%3A13&version=HCSB

Both of these “seed” groups from different fathers, remain until prophesy about both is fulfilled. Gen 3:15; Dan 12:7; 1 Cor 15:24; 2 Thess 2:9,10; Rev 12:9; John 6:63; 5:21; Luke 13:24

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Gen+3%3A15%3B+Dan+12%3A7%3B+1+Cor+15%3A24%3B+2+Thess+2%3A9%2C10%3B+Rev+12%3A9%3B+John+6%3A63%3B+5%3A21%3B+Luke+13%3A24&version=HCSB

The generation Jesus is referring to in Matt 24:34 relates to all the anointed ones; they are two “seed” groups within one group - the called ones of Christ.   This generation is at odds with one another – the wheat and the weeds - and will not “pass away” until the last of the generation receive either a reward or punishment.  Rev 16:15; 3:2,3; Matt 24:43

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Rev+16%3A15%3B+3%3A2%2C3%3B+Matt+24%3A43&version=HCSB

The Watchtower leaders teach a bumbling version of “this generation” as already being fulfilled.  Surely, their grappling over this concept should help us to discern which “seed” they may belong to.    2 Thess 2:1-3; Dan 7:25

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2Thess.2%3A1%2C2%2C3%3B+Dan.7%3A25&version=HCSB

11 hours ago, Micah Ong said:

By the way I loved studying and still do and I love the Bible even more now.

I do also. :)

1 hour ago, Witness said:

will not “pass away” until the last of the generation receive either a reward or punishment

"by no means" doesn't sit well with this.

“this generation” as already being fulfilled

???not yet I think???

Surely, their grappling over this concept should help us to discern which “seed” they may belong to.

Now this is definitely getting...dodgy??

Compare 2Cor. 8:2

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.