Last Reply

Replies

Views

The Librarian -
bruceq -

Top Posters

10 hours ago, The Librarian said:

local copy of this work

Just saw these exhibits yesterday. Both of them are excellent. Going back tomorrow, Sunday, to get a few more pictures for my parents after the meeting there.

There are two exhibits, a "Rotational Bible" exhibit and a "Divine Name" exhibit. Both are excellent. I spent from 10am in the morning until 4pm in the afternoon, mostly in these two exhibits. These displays are much larger than the earlier versions of this display.

Also, although it's less personal, you don't go through any displays with a tour guide. You go through with an audio device that is a little bit like a small portable phone with a keypad and headphones. The device contains hundreds of mp3 files that you access by the numbers next to the displays. You can take all the time you want to listen to all the sound files or only the ones you are most interested in. Some of them will reference additional sound files for further information on a topic. You will notice that a lot of numbers are skipped, and of course, I had to play them all. You might discover that there must have been some items that are not yet on exhibit, or which were planned and not available for exhibit, or moved or removed. (Sorry, but these things interest me, too.)

Most of the very old items are facsimiles, but they have done an incredible job reproducing and displaying most of them exactly as if you are looking at the original. And the description always tells you accurately if it's a facsimile.

There are some key pieces that should be in the display, and I hope they get them. Qumram (Dead Sea Scrolls) 4Q120 for example. I think that @bruceq sells a replica of 4Q120. A portion of the display could also put the pieces together in the interesting way that it was presented in the October monthly program of JWB. It would require just a few more pieces or facsimiles.

On a personal note, about a separate display, my great grandfather and great grandmother both have their pictures shown in parts of two other historical displays. (They were Chicago Bible Students, and he was a speaker who traveled with Russell.) You might be surprised at the items they will accept for donation and potential display. I was pleased to see they found a way to work in a stack of information that was very difficult to "source" and they found a way to work in about 50 of those items into a projected wall kiosk where you can scroll through the information by touching arrows on the wall. I think that anyone who loves to do research will notice a lot of little things that they might still be looking for. This could include rare publications, rare photos of some historical interest, or even just the date of R J Martin's birth, for example. (He's the brother who got Beth Sarim for Rutherford and you'll notice that his picture has the year of his death, but only a "?" for the year of birth.) 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I just came from HQ as well we went in beginning of November. I took pictures of everything on display as well. 

Here is 4Q120 - I also have the Psalms Scroll, Ten Commandments and Septuagint all on papyrus and many more including Facsimiles and Originals of much of what is at Bethel on ebay. {Lisa.joeywit}

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

DSCN3301.JPG

DSCN3302.JPG

• Upvote 1

• Similar Content

• By The Librarian
      The King James Version (KJV), also known as the Authorized Version (AV) or King James Bible (KJB), is an English translation of the Christian Bible for the Church of England that begun in 1604 and completed in May 1611.

James was born in 1566 and was crowned in 1567 as James VI of Scotland. When he was crowned King James I of England in 1603, he became the ruler of both countries. In 1604, he took the title “King of Great Britain.”

He endorsed the making of a fresh Bible translation. He stipulated that it should commend itself to all by omitting any offensive notes or comments as did other previous versions in circulation.
      King James promoted the project. Eventually, 47 scholars in six separate groups across the country prepared sections of the text. Making use of the work of both Tyndale and Coverdale, these Bible scholars basically revised the Bishops’ Bible. However, they also drew from the Geneva Bible and the Roman Catholic Rheims New Testament of 1582.
      James himself was a respected Bible scholar, and the translation’s dedication to “the most high and mighty prince, James” acknowledged his initiative. As head of the Church of England, James was seen to be exerting his authority to bring the nation together.
      As the British Empire expanded throughout the world, Protestant missionaries spread its use. Since many who translated the Bible into local languages were unfamiliar with Biblical Hebrew and Greek, the King James Version in English became the basis for these local translations.
      The Cambridge History of the Bible concludes: “Its text acquired a sanctity properly ascribable only to the unmediated voice of God; to multitudes of English-speaking Christians it has seemed little less than blasphemy to tamper with the words of the King James Version.”
      Today, according to the British Library, “The King James, or Authorised, Version of the Bible remains the most widely published text in the English language.” Some estimates put the number of copies of the King James Version produced in print worldwide at over one billion!
      Over the centuries, many have believed that the King James Version is the only “true” Bible. In 1870, work on a full revision of it started in England. Later a minor American revision of the resulting English Revised Version was published as the American Standard Version.* In a more recent revision, in 1982, the preface to the Revised Authorised Version says that effort was made “to maintain that lyrical quality which is so highly regarded in the Authorised Version” of 1611.
      It is not that the divine name, Jehovah, does not appear at all in the King James Version. It does appear in four places, namely Exodus 6:3; Psalm 83:18; Isaiah 12:2; and Isaiah 26:4. The American Standard Version of 1901, however, restored the name to some 7,000 of its rightful places in the Bible.
      In 1907 a Bible Students Edition of the King James Version was published in the United States of America for the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society. It included an extensive appendix called the “Berean Bible Teachers’ Manual.” Later, Jehovah’s Witnesses printed the King James Version on their own presses. By 1992 the Witnesses had produced 1,858,368 copies.
      Without question, the King James Version is a literary masterpiece, appreciated and valued for its unparalleled beauty of expression.
      See also:
      King James was gay.  (This was news to me by the way) 
  • Who Was Online   90 Users were Online in the Last 24 Hours   (Most members ever online in 24 hour was 110, last accomplished on .)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Cacheman
    Newest Member
    Cacheman

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.