The World News Media

Why Don't Jehovah's Witnesses Celebrate Father's Day?

The Librarian

nintchdbpict000305696363.jpg

If someone asked you this question at the door this morning how would you answer?

----------------------------------------------------

Jehovah’s Witnesses treat Father’s Day as any other, and will love their Fathers just as much that day as any other day.

Jehovah’s Witnesses base all of their beliefs, their standards for conduct, and organizational procedures on the Bible.

Yes, the Bible does command children to honor, obey and respect their parents. (Eph. 6:1, 2) But nowhere does it advocate the commemoration of a special “Father’s Day”.True Christians follow Jesus Christ as their Exemplar and realize that to Jesus, every day was Father’s Day. He did not set aside only one particular day out of the year to bring praise to his Father. He did so every day.

It is also worthy to note that the main purpose for the creation of Father’s Day was to complement Mother’s Day. Jehovah’s Witnesses do not formally celebrate Mother’s Day - mostly for the same reasons as stated for Father’s Day above. But they also do not celebrate it because Jehovah’s Witnesses avoid participating in any celebrations with non-Christian religious origins. Some may counter that by saying that Mother’s Day does not have roots in ancient paganism and that it is presently considered a largely secular event. But the earliest Mother’s Day celebrations can be traced back to the spring celebrations of ancient Greece in honor of Rhea, the mother of the gods. The Bible makes it clear that if a holiday or custom is being deliberately participated in by a Christian, it must have absolutely no known pagan religion associations. (Exodus 20:3; Luke 4:8; 2 Cor. 6:17) Via Elijah

See also: List of World Holidays

español

• Views 10.9k
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If someone asked you this question at the door this morning how would you answer? ---------------------------------------------------- Jehovah’s Witnesses treat Father’s Day as any other, an

I told this to my dad a couple of days ago when he called me at work....  Father's day, or Mother's day.... is EVERY DAY.    and for that matter, seeing how Jehovah is our Heavenly FATHER, you on

Posted Images

I told this to my dad a couple of days ago when he called me at work....  Father's day, or Mother's day.... is EVERY DAY.   

and for that matter, seeing how Jehovah is our Heavenly FATHER, you only show him appreciation one day a year ??????!!!!!

NOT !!!!!    you show Him appreciation every day, in everything we do.  

20 hours ago, The Librarian said:

The Bible makes it clear that if a holiday or custom is being deliberately participated in by a Christian, it must have absolutely no known pagan religion associations. (Exodus 20:3; Luke 4:8; 2 Cor. 6:17)

The Bible does not speak of any such thing in these supporting verses and stating that "the Bible makes it clear" is misleading and in error.

Exodus 20:3 "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Who is claiming that their earthly father is a god? No one I have ever met thinks this way nor celebrates their father like he is a god. 

Luke 4:8 "And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve."

I have never heard of, or seen for that matter, anyone worshiping their earthly father. Worship is not even associated with father's day. 

2 Cor. 6:17 "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."

Context shows that this verse has nothing to do with earthly fathers, but rather those who practice the things that God does not approve. Since celebrating father's day has NOT been established by these supporting scriptures, then it is only an assumption created by men who govern peoples lives and not a biblical command. Thus there is NO sound reason from the Bible to forbid people to celebrate and be thankful for the great fathers out there who guide and protect their children. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.