PeterR

• Views 13.3k
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Eoin Joyce quoted one of the first real hints of the overlapping generation doctrine from the Feb 15, 2008 WT (above). Above, I also quoted a WT QFR that mentioned overlapping generations from t

I'm glad that The Librarian moved the "generation" posts from the unrelated topic over to this topic. It was clear that on this topic, the questions remain unsettled to some and unsettling to others.

Because knowing ... when others do not ... is what has given, scam artists, flim-flam men, shamans, priests, and ecclesiastical tap-dancers  power prestige, and money, and position in various societie

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, PeterR said:

a word study of the Greek word "genea"

Great. Can you recommend something?

7 minutes ago, PeterR said:

There is nothing incorrect about the quote itself,

Good to hear. It appears consistent with the way the word is used in English generaly as well.

6 minutes ago, Eoin Joyce said:

If you are going to use logical fallacy jargon, please explain what you mean, otherwise I will find you incoherent, and your argument equally.... fallacious.  Please.

It's effectively self-referential.

Do I need to explain that too? I'm not being facetious. I am happy to explain if you need me to.

21 minutes ago, Eoin Joyce said:

How are you privy to such insight as this? Where on earth do these dark things you are alluding to take place?

Evidently they take place in places that you don't seem to be privy to.  What more can I tell you?

I assume you are perfectly aware that if I were an open book then I would simply be accused of betraying confidences.

I fully acknowledge that these issues do not affect the majority of people in such a severe way. But Jesus was very careful to have us pay attention to individual sheep, not just what was happening to the majority. I hope I don't need to give you references for that.

If you can demonstrate that the rules and regulations of the organization do not allow for the kind of treatment that I'm referring to to take place, then please go ahead.

If you have served as an elder perhaps there is a non-explicit way we could conduct this conversation so as not to quote confidential information, but to still verify what is being said.

7 minutes ago, Eoin Joyce said:

Not so much the meaning of terms, but how you think they apply.

In trying to prove your conclusion, you are using a source which is already biased towards the conclusion you are trying to prove. And I explained why that would be the case based upon the timing of the quote. (The Insight book was published in 1988 BTW.)

Do you really not understand, or are you trying to string this out now?

1 minute ago, PeterR said:

I hope I don't need to give you references for that.

Don't patronise. It's a sure way of closing doors. I shouldn't have to tell you that. (There you go!)

2 minutes ago, PeterR said:

I would simply be accused of betraying confidences.

Good that you appreciate the need to keep a confidence. There's no need to elaborate. Abstract discussions are too inconclusive on this kind of thing so I'll move on from this subject.

9 minutes ago, PeterR said:

trying to prove your conclusion

I don't need to prove a conclusion on the meaning of a word in current usage. I just observe the facts. My reference was to an earlier observation of the same thing, not offered as proof for a stand alone fact.

13 minutes ago, PeterR said:

Do you really not understand, or are you trying to string this out now?

Ungracious assumption. I can see...you have indeed been damaged. :(

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.