The World News Media

Do you think it is ok to discipline children at the Kingdom Hall?

Guest Nicole

Don't you think a child is better suited to learn at their own age level, instead of being expected to sit perfectly still for 2 hours listening to adult content? Or is that content made for children to understand And why punish a child for being a child?

• Views 4.6k
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eoin: OF COURSE IT HAS CHANGED.   The scriptural admonition posted above is CRYSTAL CLEAR. I know for a fact that if my Father had not whipped me with belts and switches to cut the blood ou

No it is not to OK hit children, particularly with a belt. If parents are unable to prevent their children' disturbing others for whatever reason in the auditorium, then they should remain outsid

True.  But some people misinterpret this to mean that you have abandoned the standards you had before, especially the older children.  They think the younger ones get away with more than they did. The

Posted Images

Matthew9969     It is not adult content.( We don't have Sunday School where the parents send their children and they stay at home. Everyone learns together.)  Read what Jehovah said about it.

(Deuteronomy 31:12, 13) 12 Congregate the people, the men and the women and the little ones and your alien resident who is within your gates, in order that they may listen and in order that they may learn, as they must fear Jehovah YOUR God and take care to carry out all the words of this law. 13 And their sons who have not known should listen, and they must learn to fear Jehovah YOUR God all the days that YOU are living upon the soil to which YOU are crossing the Jordan to take possession of it.”

Learn to trust Jehovah. Jehovah knows it is good for children to sit quietly and listen.   They learn discipline by what they see they parents do.  If the parents pay keen attention, the children imitate that. If the parents chew gum, get up every half hour, talk while the speaker is talking, etc, that is what the children learn.  Little people are capable of much more than we think.

2 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

Jehovah knows it is good for children to sit quietly and listen.

It is also good for those speaking to consider who it was that encouraged children to be a part of their audience. Jesus invited children, despite the wishes of the disciples: "People now began bringing him young children for him to touch them, but the disciples reprimanded them. At seeing this, Jesus was indignant and said to them: “Let the young children come to me; do not try to stop them, for the Kingdom of God belongs to such ones". Mark 10:13-14.

Then they should seek to also apply the words of Nehemiah 8:8: "And they continued reading aloud from the book, from the Law of the true God, clearly explaining it and putting meaning into it; so they helped the people to understand what was being read." . This includes children, surely?

4 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

Matthew9969     It is not adult content.( We don't have Sunday School where the parents send their children and they stay at home. Everyone learns together.)  Read what Jehovah said about it.

(Deuteronomy 31:12, 13) 12 Congregate the people, the men and the women and the little ones and your alien resident who is within your gates, in order that they may listen and in order that they may learn, as they must fear Jehovah YOUR God and take care to carry out all the words of this law. 13 And their sons who have not known should listen, and they must learn to fear Jehovah YOUR God all the days that YOU are living upon the soil to which YOU are crossing the Jordan to take possession of it.”

Learn to trust Jehovah. Jehovah knows it is good for children to sit quietly and listen.   They learn discipline by what they see they parents do.  If the parents pay keen attention, the children imitate that. If the parents chew gum, get up every half hour, talk while the speaker is talking, etc, that is what the children learn.  Little people are capable of much more than we think.

With respect, Sunday school....In the church that I am co-owner, not one single parent drops their kid off and goes home. And the responsibility of teaching their own children is on them as well. Where or are there parents who do this in other churches...yes, and those parents need to be counseled. And church just does not happen 1 or two days a week, church is a way of life. I grew up in Jehovah's witness congregations, and have attended various other denominations, so again with respect, you know very little of child biblical education and the family unit and the church. But you are right, children grow up imitating their parents actions. Little people are more capable than we think, they are also more fragile than we assume.

We've  many  kiddies  in  our  congregation :)  All  are  SO  different  -  but  ALL  parents  work  it  with  words,  love  &  little  childlike  employments,  that  we  always  have  a  nice  meeting ❤  without  special  Bible Scriptures,  berate  or  anything.

In  exceptions,  or  by  little  Babies,  Mom  or  Dad,  or  a  Sister  is  going  with  it  in  another  room,  so  simple  we  handle  it.  School - children  mostly  still  or  giving  nice  comments...  really  wonderful !   I  never  saw  parents  beating  or  loud  to  their  childs,  NEVER !

❤ ❤ ❤ .•*¨`*•..¸♥☼♥¸.•*¨`*•.  ❤ ❤ ❤

Where I live it was customary to send children to Sunday School and the parents stayed at home.   We even have an elder whose mother chose to send him to the Kingdom Hall and he never left when he got older.  He is still an elder and happy to serve Jehovah.  The mother came into the truth years later, but she sent him from a small boy.

12 hours ago, Gone Fishing said:

It is also good for those speaking to consider who it was that encouraged children to be a part of their audience. Jesus invited children, despite the wishes of the disciples: "People now began bringing him young children for him to touch them, but the disciples reprimanded them. At seeing this, Jesus was indignant and said to them: “Let the young children come to me; do not try to stop them, for the Kingdom of God belongs to such ones". Mark 10:13-14.

Then they should seek to also apply the words of Nehemiah 8:8: "And they continued reading aloud from the book, from the Law of the true God, clearly explaining it and putting meaning into it; so they helped the people to understand what was being read." . This includes children, surely?

Please consider the context of what I am saying. I am not saying to keep children from learning about Jesus. And clearly Mark is not conveying the message that children should sit perfectly still like adults in kingdom halls.

9 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

Where I live it was customary to send children to Sunday School and the parents stayed at home.   We even have an elder whose mother chose to send him to the Kingdom Hall and he never left when he got older.  He is still an elder and happy to serve Jehovah.  The mother came into the truth years later, but she sent him from a small boy.

I have seen that as well, some parents use Sunday school as a babysitter, they probably also use the television set as a babysitter as well, and that is wrong, it's very obvious the parents are not interested in teaching their children about Jesus. The word 'Sunday School' is such an antiquated word, I and the church I am associated with prefer the term 'children's ministry'. and this is why....here is an example...why do schools have different learning levels? why don't they just send a 5 or 6 year old to college right away to learn?

I myself was taken into the back hall a few times and was given a swipe or 10 on the rear end for not sitting still. I have witnessed children as young as 2 years old being spanked right there in front of everyone to sit still. Spanking is not child abuse, but there are reasons to spank, and spanking a child to sit still through a 2 hour boring meeting geared towards adults is not one of them for sure. Parents who are willing to do this are more than likely dishing out more sever punishment at home where no one can see.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.