Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

TheWorldNewsOrg -
admin -

Top Posters

Truck stops are about as American as apple pie…and Buffett’s taking a big slice. Berkshire Hathaway acquired a 38.6% stake ($ amount wasn’t disclosed) in Pilot Flying J., the largest operator of travel centers in North America. Buffett plans to up his interest to 80% by 2023.

And he’s partnering with Midwestern royalty to do so: the founding Haslam family. Jimmy Haslam is Pilot’s CEO, and also the owner of the Cleveland Browns. Jimmy’s lil’ bro? Bill, the Governor of Tennessee. 

You’re probably familiar with Pilot’s rest stops from the 40 oz soda and party-sized bag of Doritos you picked up on the way to Yosemite. It operates 750 locations across the U.S. and Canada, doing a healthy $20 billion+ in revenue. That makes it the 15th largest private company in the country.

With the investment, Buffett is going all-in on commercial goods transportation. He already owns BNSF Railway, one of the largest freight railroads in the U.S. with more than 32,000 miles of track across the fruited plain.

Sing along with Buffett: “America, America…”

Buffett All But Names Heirs to the Berkshire Throne

It was only a matter of time: Warren Buffett is putting his succession plan in place, naming Gregory Abel and Ajit Jain as vice chairs of the Berkshire Hathaway (+1.26%) board. It can only mean that: 

1. One of them is likely to replace Buffett as CEO of the company.
  2. Apparently our application got lost in the mail.

But unlike us, Abel and Jain have earned Buffett’s trust through decades of leading major divisions at Berkshire. Abel runs the energy business (joining in 1992), and Jain (with Berkshire since 1986) heads all reinsurance operations. 

Buffett, 87, will keep his position as chairman and CEO—for now—but he’s clearly thinking about the end game. 

Actually, he has been for a while now. From his annual letter in 2014: 

“Both the board and I believe we now have the right person to succeed me as CEO—a successor ready to assume the job the day after I die or step down. In certain important respects, this person will do a better job than I am doing.”

And as long as Jain doesn’t kill Abel in a fit of jealousy, we now know who that person might be.

http://morningbrew.cmail20.com/t/j-l-okuydht-yhyuhjkhdk-g/

Favorite Buffett-isms from previous letters. 

• “Every decade or so, dark clouds will fill the economic skies, and they will briefly rain gold. When downpours of that sort occur, it’s imperative that we rush outdoors carrying washtubs, not teaspoons.” — 2016.
  • “At Berkshire, we much prefer owning a non-controlling but substantial portion of a wonderful company to owning 100% of a so-so business. It’s better to have a partial interest in the Hope Diamond than to own all of a rhinestone.“ — 2015.
  • “Cash, though, is to a business as oxygen is to an individual: never thought about when it is present, the only thing in mind when it is absent.” — 2014
  • “Games are won by players who focus on the playing field (long term)—not by those whose eyes are glued to the scoreboard (short term).” — 2013.

I also found this interesting:

Berkshire Hathaway Inc.’s stock performance in the past decade belies a “perpetuated myth” that billionaire investor Warren Buffett is beating the market as he did before, according to Drew Dickson, chief investment officer and managing partner at Albert Bridge Capital LLP in London. Dickson compared Berkshire and the S&P 500 Index on a total-return basis -- including dividends, which the company hasnÂ’t paid for half a century -- in a blog posting Tuesday. While Class A shares of BuffettÂ’s company rose 126 percent from the start of March 2008 through Monday, the S&P 500 returned 159 percent.
Mail Attachment.jpeg

@James Thomas Rook Jr.  Thank you for pointing that out. The last decade has been a weird time of governments printing money and artificially pumping the stock markets..... of course he wouldn't buy in 100% in that market. He is smarter than that.

Funny how statistics can be manipulated to create almost any headline.

• Similar Content

• By admin
      Market quotes are powered by TradingView.com
    • By admin
      The McDonald's McGold Card is a food-redemption ticket that provides the owner with free, unlimited McDonald's for life. The existence of the card gained international attention after actor Rob Lowe flashed his on Jimmy Kimmel Live in 2015. Since then, it has been revealed that a range of VIPs and celebrities have their own version of the card - from Bill Gates to Warren Buffett. So how do 'normal' people go about getting one? Here are the details.
      When Rob Lowe appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live with a golden McDonald's card last year, one big question remained: How could the Average Joe get his own card that granted him access to unlimited McDonald's? Not easily, a little sleuthing revealed.
      The first complication: Rob Lowe's Gold Card was not issued by McDonald's corporate office. Instead, it is from the owner of, and can only be used at, McDonald's franchises in Santa Barbara or Goleta, California.
      While Lowe says he received the Gold Card because his buddy's dad created the McMuffin, McDonald's confirmed to Business Insider that he in fact received the card from David Peterson — the buddy in question, who is now a McDonald's franchisee himself.
      Herb Peterson, who passed away in 2008, was a legendary force in the fast-food world. He debuted the first Egg McMuffin at the Santa Barbara McDonald's he co-owned with David in 1972. Peterson started his work with McDonald's as the vice president of the company's advertising firm, D'Arcy Advertising, and went on to become a franchisee and operator of six McDonald's locations.
      Today, David Peterson has carried on his father's legacy with the chain. Earlier this year, the franchises he runs in the Santa Barbara and Goleta areas became some of the first to launch "taste-crafted" sandwiches as part of the McDonald's turnaround plan, reports local news station KEYT.
      Peterson also wields the power to give out Gold Cards, granting the recipient free McDonald's at the locations he owns and operates. While Lowe is quite likely the most high-profile person to be awarded the card, he is not the first — just the first to brag about it on late-night TV.
      For example, Larry Crandell was awarded a Gold Card by Peterson on his 90th birthday, reports SantaBarbara.com. While the cards are nearly identical, unlike Lowe's card, Crandell's awarded him free McDonald's for life.
      Crandell is a bit of a celebrity in Santa Barbara, having reportedly helped raise millions of dollars for the community as a volunteer and expert emcee.
      In fact, McDonald's franchisees across the country appear to be more than happy to give local heroes free food with their own versions of the "Gold Card."  
      Warren Buffett told CNBC he had a McDonald's card that allowed him to order unlimited food for free in Omaha.
      Charles Ramsey, who ditched his half-eaten Big Mac to help rescue three kidnapped women in May 2013, was awarded free McDonald's at all locations for a year and unlimited McDonald's for the rest of his life at local Ohio restaurants.
      In March, Ottawa Senators goalie Andrew Hammond, nicknamed the Hamburglar, received a card that gave him free McDonald's for life from an Ottawa franchisee who, coincidentally, was also the father of Hammond's former coach.
      However, there are only two major confirmed stories of people in possession of cards granting them free, unlimited McDonald's anywhere in the country, or even the world.
      While on the campaign trail in 2012, Mitt Romney told a story of how his father had a "little pink card" that awarded him free McDonald's for life. McDonald's confirmed that founder Ray Kroc had given Romney the card, but did not have any record of the reason for the gift. However, the chain noted that Kroc was known to informally gift these Lifetime "Be Our Guest" cards to various people throughout the years.  
      https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/07/the-true-story-behind-mcdonalds-mysterious-mcgold-cards/?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral
    • By admin
      Just curious about the differences over the very long term (40 years)
      There are fees with sector ETF's.... but the diversification would mitigate the risk as well.
      By Guest
      Albert Einstein once said:
      Warren Buffett understood it. It's how he built his fortune. He produced consistently great returns for a long period of time while spending very little. He made his money work for him.

As you can see, his average return over 50 years is 21.6%. If you add in expenses and taxes, that return falls just a bit. But, because Buffett is very frugal, he's kept that number high - about 20%.
      Compounded, that's
      a 1.20^50 -1 = 909940% return.
      So, if Buffett started off with $1,000,000.00 in 1965, he would have $91B in 2015. However, if you add in his donations and personal taxes, that number falls to his current net worth of $66.7B.

By Guest
      Looking for a good explanation to share.
      By Guest
      What are Dividends? 
    • By admin
      When Warren Buffett offers investing advice, everyone listens. The world’s greatest investor has never been shy about the strategies that have helped him amass a $72 billion net worth and grow his company, Berkshire Hathaway, into a juggernaut valued at over $212 billion. 
      But one thing he doesn’t do is encourage the average individual investor to try to mimic his success. The best advice he can give those investors, Buffett has said, is to do exactly the opposite. We’ve parsed through some of Buffett’s more popular insights on investing to come up with a few that apply to the average worker looking simply to invest for long-term, steady growth.
      1. The worst investment you can make over time: cash. 
      We always keep enough cash around so I feel very comfortable and don't worry about sleeping at night. But it's not because I like cash as an investment. Cash is a bad investment over time. But you always want to have enough so that nobody else can determine your future essentially. 
      2. Invest in a broad-based index fund that tracks the S&P 500. 
      If you are a professional and have confidence, then I would advocate lots of concentration. For everyone else, if it’s not your game, participate in total diversification. The economy will do fine over time. Make sure you don’t buy at the wrong price or the wrong time. That’s what most people should do, buy a cheap index fund, and slowly dollar cost average into it. If you try to be just a little bit smart, spending an hour a week investing, you’re liable to be really dumb.
      Recommended reading: “Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor” by Vanguard founder Jack Bogle. Any investor in funds should read [Bogle’s books]. They have all you need to know.
      3. Invest in yourself. 
      “The best investment you can make is in your own abilities. Anything you can do to develop your own abilities or business is likely to be more productive.” 
      4. If you’re determined to pick stocks, don’t buy into a business you don’t understand. 
      [Individual investors] ought to think about what he or she understands. Let's just say they were going to put their whole family's net worth in a single business. Would that be a business they would consider? Or would they say, "Gee, I don't know enough about that business to go into it?" If so, they should go on to something else.... There are all kinds of businesses that [longtime partner and vice chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Charlie Munger] and I don't understand, but that doesn't cause us to stay up at night. It just means we go on to the next one, and that's what the individual investor should do.
      5. Focus on the competition as well. 
      [Buying stock in a company is] buying a piece of a business. If they were going to buy into a local service station or convenience store, what would they think about? They would think about the competition, the competitive position both of the industry and the specific location, the person they have running it and all that. 
      6. Invest for the long haul. 
      “If you aren’t willing to own a stock for 10 years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes”
      7. The hardest part about investing: trusting yourself. 
      You need to divorce your mind from the crowd. The herd mentality causes all these IQ's to become paralyzed. I don't think investors are now acting more intelligently, despite the intelligence. Smart doesn't always equal rational. To be a successful investor you must divorce yourself from the fears and greed of the people around you, although it is almost impossible.
    • By Money & Finance
      Ok... I will begin to share my investment ideas list. I am hoping some of you will challenge me on these or even better surprise me with better opportunities.
      Remember that these are stock investments to hold for decades not just quick trades.

Uber is quickly changing the transportation infrastructure of our world.

Twitter - I feel this stock has been beaten up and will eventually get bought out by Apple.

Netflix - They have some of the most compelling content on "TV" right now and have a massive subscriber base.

Coca-Cola - Because this will always be around

TJ Maxx - Women just love the hunt and this store seems to just keep on ticking.
      I will also now add Amazon to my list: View the following video....

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Marek Markus
    Newest Member
    Marek Markus

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.