Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Guest Nicole -
The Librarian -

Top Posters

On 8/23/2017 at 3:25 AM, Nicole said:

Prosecutor Colleen Barnett said Melgar was motivated to kill her husband and stage a break-in for a $500,000 life insurance policy.

She also said Melgar's religious beliefs as a Jehovah's Witness made her look for a way to get out of the marriage without a divorce, which would have left her ostracized. 

Because a church friend testified that Jehovah's Witnesses believe dead people are "sleeping" until the Apocalypse, Barnett said Melgar may have taken her husband's death lightly.

This beggars belief. Has anyone heard of other cases where prosecution has factored religious belief on the condition of the dead as a component of a "guilty" verdict? I mean are all the Catholic, Protestant, Evangelical, Jewish, Muslim,  etc. folk who get accused of murder said to be emboldened because they believed their alleged victims are actually alive after death?

@The Librarian 

On 11/30/2018 at 9:06 PM, The Librarian said:

I sent this out on a bunch of social media sites. Anyone know if there is a way people can support her defense fund? Or if one even exists?

Public Defenders paid by the states are notorious for being terrible defenders.

This is the site for the defense fund  

Fundedjustice.com

Justice for Sandra and Jamie Melgar

3 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

The question just BEGS to be asked .... How does anyone here know she DIDN'T do it?

Yes, that's what makes it so sad. Who are we to judge either way. Power and authority has been given to Jesus Christ, would he help in such a case. I don't think he would. Humans are left much to our own dealings aren't we ?

Oh for that New World to be here, even if I'm not going to be allowed to be there. For others to have joy and peace, it will be wonderful. 

• Similar Content

• By Jack Ryan
      https://video.khou.com/assets/KHOU/videos/14e437b6-a907-4f60-9d4b-929985b111b5/14e437b6-a907-4f60-9d4b-929985b111b5.m3u8

• By Jack Ryan
      The 25 yr old mother who died in the massacre, on 8/3/19, protecting her baby has very devout JW parents and grandparents. Her husband was killed as well. Not sure if she was baptized but it occurred to me that her funeral talk will not be about HER or THEM and what they did. It will probably lean more towards making unbelievers...believers.
      They died protecting their baby and really wish that will be their focus. If its not, I hope it will wake up some in the audience.
      May they rest in peace ❤ Jordan and Andre Anchondo❤ (And all victims of that horrible day😔)
    • By The Librarian
      http://www.jw-archive.org/2012/09/usa-houston-texas-quick-build-kh.html
    • By The Librarian
      International Delegates of Jehovahs Witnesses HD.mp4
      The international delegates from all over the world came to Dickinson Congregation in Texas. Although we had never met before, it was like we had known each other for many years. Thanks to Jehovah's Organization. via Meagan Andrade
    • By Jack Ryan
      (I wonder if Keanu Reeves actually said this or if some meme maker just posted this over his photo?)
    • By The Librarian
      Police in Orange County, California are investigating a violent crime that happened inside a McDonalds's over the weekend. An elderly man was stabbed several times in the restroom.
      The suspect caught on camera running from the scene of the crime. Police want you to take a good look at this man. They say he beat, then stabbed a 92-year-old stranger multiple times in the men's restroom inside this Garden Grove McDonalds' for no apparent reason.
      Carl Whitney from the Garden Grove Police said, "the victim was using the restroom washing his hands. The guy attacked him from behind  never said anything to him. We don't know if the motive was robbery, but we know that this was totally unprovoked. The victim did not know the suspect."
      Police say the victim an elderly Jehovah's Witness who was having breakfast with his church group, as he did every Saturday morning at 10:30. The victim told police that he saw the man standing in the bathroom against the wall and he said hello. The suspect ignored him, then stabbed him nearly to death. He says the suspect never tried to rob him.
      The victim was last reported to be in stable, but critical condition. The suspect was described as a hispanic male between 20 and 30 years old 6 feet tall with a medium build. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to contact police.
      https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/news/national-news/elderly-man-brutally-stabbed-at-garden-grove-mcdonald-s/1562936697?fbclid=IwAR1TeZdDm31NNJnC0TXxnIw_lVcWS5dtOz2_sRkRPBqPtE5HhU-gA-ZQ-iw
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      A Special Forces veteran, publicly branded a poisoner, has broken his silence to tell the Sunday Mercury: “I did not kill my wife with weedkiller.”
      And Lieutenant Commander Robert McIntyre, who served the Royal Navy with distinction from 1963 to 1971, says the bombshell allegation will be the death of him.
      “This is going to see me off,” said the 72-year-old at his cluttered bungalow in Bloxwich, near Walsall, the oxygen machine wife Valerie used still prominently placed in the living room.
      “That’s it for me, that’s me finished.”
      Robert, raised on the Isle of Skye, spoke out after an inquest heard 88-year-old Valerie told family from her hospital deathbed: “That bastard has killed me.”
      She claimed that Robert, who became a long distance lorry driver after his military stint, had poisoned her with weedkiller, the hearing was told.
      https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/navy-hero-not-kill-wife-15277332Valerie, a devout Jehovah’s Witness, died at Walsall Manor Hospital in September 2017. Her service at Bushbury Crematorium did not take place until September 11 this year.
    • By The Librarian
      A truck driver who was using his mobile phone when he killed a grandmother by ploughing into her car has been jailed for five years.
      David Shields, 34, was caught on camera inside his cab scrolling on his device for a full 18 seconds leading up to the collision last February.
      He tried to brake at the last second, but his recovery truck smashed into the back of missionary worker Yvonne Blackman's car as she queued in traffic on the A75 in Dumfries.
      Footage has now been released showing Shields, from Drongan, East Ayrshire, checking his phone before noticing Ms Blackman's car at the last second.
      At the High Court in Glasgow on Friday, Shields was also banned from driving for seven-and-half years after admitting causing death by dangerous driving.
      Ms Blackman, from Lockerbie, Dumfries and Galloway, was on her way to meet friends when the crash took place.
      The 66-year-old, a mother of four and gran to 18, died several weeks later in hospital.

Yvonne Blackman 
      Ralph Blackman, her husband of almost 38 years, spoke outside court following the sentencing.
      "I think it was a reasonable deterrent for other drivers from doing a similar thing because it caused a lot of suffering," the 78-year-old said.
      Visably distressed, he added: "It caused a lot of heartbreak to all of our family, grandkids, sisters, brothers and myself.
      "I'm still not settled properly yet but I'm getting there, but like I said before the main thing is that justice has been done.
      "Me and my family are hoping that any driver who actually uses their phone while they're driving should realise that suffering and heartbreak is caused not just to their family but the victim's family as well."
      Mr Blackman added of his wife: "[She was] very fun going and she liked to get things done.
      "In a lot of years she was a missionary for the JW [Jehovah's Witnesses] and she was knocking on doors trying to get people to do the right thing and serve god.
      "She loved having holidays, dancing - she had a lot of life to live."
      Jailing Shields, judge Lady Stacey told him: "I have seen a video of the crash and know you were paying heed to your mobile phone for 18 seconds. It was a very dangerous thing to do.
      "I know you did not intent the catastrophic result, but you should have known the terrible risk you were taking."
      Shields, who served as a lance corporal in the Royal Highland Fusiliers in Iraq and Afghanistan, wept as he was led away to the cells.
      David Shields 
      His defence counsel John Scullion QC earlier said: "He has asked me to apologise to Mrs Blackman's family and is ashamed of his actions that day."
      The crash happened after Ms Blackman was caught in heavy traffic on the A75 Gretna to Stranraer road around 8.30am on February 8, 2017.
      Shields was driving a truck for 911 Rescue Recovery from Stoke to Kilmarnock when he ploughed into the back of her Toyota Yaris.
      Prosecutor Liam Ewing said: "Witnesses noted that the lorry did not appear to brake until a short distance before the collision, at which time it skidded or snaked."
      The Toyota car hit a BMW in front before spinning to a halt.
      Ms Blackman died in hospital on February 23 from chest and spinal injuries caused in the crash.
      Shields told police he only noticed "at the last second" that the "traffic was not moving", and added: "I slammed the brakes on, slid and collided."
      Analysis of the seven cameras in his truck's cab showed his "attention had been on a dash-mounted mobile telephone".
      Mr Ewing said: "An analysis established he had been focusing on the phone ... therefore failing to maintain proper observations of the road ahead.
      "(This was) for a period of 18 seconds prior to reacting to the presence of the car."
      He is seen driving while checking the phone before his cab shudders as it hits Yvonne's car. It is not known what he was doing on the mobile at the time.
      Part of the charge Shields pleaded guilty to stated he did "repeatedly interact with and focus your attention" on a phone.
      David Shields' dangerous driving has irrevocably damaged many lives and our thoughts go to the family of Yvonne Blackman.
      Driving while handling a mobile phone, in any context, is illegal and dangerous and can have the most serious of consequences."
      – DAVID GREEN, HEAD OF SCOTTISH FATALITIES INVESTIGATIONS UNIT
      http://www.itv.com/news/border/2018-09-28/truck-driver-was-using-mobile-when-he-killed-grandmother-on-a75/
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Robin Freitag, a loved mom and grandmother, had been missing for over a month Her family were 'suspicious' about her boyfriend, 52-year-old David A. Callaghan While searching around Freitag's property, they found her remains in a fire pit  Callaghan has now been charged with murder, tampering with evidence and abuse of a corpse The remains of a ‘loving mom, grandma and friendÂ’ have tragically been discovered in a fire pit by members of the murdered womanÂ’s family, who became suspicious after finding her burnt Bible.
      Robin Freitag, who would have celebrated her 54th birthday last Saturday, had been missing for more than a month from her Akron home in Ohio.
      As a result of her relatives' gruesome discovery, Akron police have charged her live-in-boyfriend, David A. Callaghan, 52, with murder, tampering with evidence and abuse of a corpse.
      FreitagÂ’s relatives had regarded him as a suspect in relation to her disappearance, as she had not been in contact with her daughter, Kim, since July 31.
      According to the Akron Beacon Journal, Freitag’s family were searching around her property last Thursday when her cousin, Angela Nottingham, spotted burnt paper, including a piece bearing the word ‘Jahovah’.
      She posted on Facebook: ‘Not everyone would think that much of that. But I knew if Robin was alive and well, that she would never allow anyone to burn her Bible.’

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6175455/Womans-demon-filled-boyfriend-charged-murder-abuse-corpse-fire-pit-house.html
    • By The Librarian
      Three years after Erik Miranda was shot and killed early on a Sunday morning, the crime that remains unsolved, denying his family what they want most: closure.
      Family members held a lantern vigil Thursday, Sept. 20 — the anniversary of the 24-year-old's death — at Kiwanis Lake.
      York City Police officers responding to reports of shots fired just before 6 a.m. on Sept. 20, 2015, found Miranda's body in an alleyway in the 200 block of Jefferson Avenue, where he lived with his mother. 
      Family members described him as a kind, caring man who was a devoted Jehovah's Witness. They said he had no enemies, which makes the homicide even more difficult to understand.
      On Thursday, the family prayed together and released a handful of biodegradable lanterns into the sky above the lake to show they won't forget Miranda — or the unknown killer who remains free.
      Olga Davis, Miranda's cousin, said his mother, Maria Miranda, moved to Florida shortly after his death because she "couldn't stand it to live here anymore" after the pain of losing her son.
      She hasn't returned since, and she wasn't present at the vigil Thursday night.
      "I'm a mother, and if something happened to one of my babies like that, I don't know how I'd push on," Davis said. "It's a kick in the stomach; I can't breathe. I can't rest at night knowing his killers are still out there, breathing and walking around, not paying for the injustice that's been done to us."
      Jack Padro, Miranda's brother, said he wishes he could thank him for all that he did for him. He said he still struggles to suppress anger and negative frustration.
      "I was always with him," Padro said. "He was a good person and helped me through the hard times. But now I can't even say thank you to him anymore."
      The family still lives around the corner from where the shooting happened. Every year, the they meet at the scene to celebrate Miranda's life.
      Davis praised York City Police for making arrests in recent shootings, but notes the status of her cousin's case.
      "The police have been doing a great job tracking the current shooters doing all these terrible things in York, but Erik's case is still cold," she said.
      Davis also praised local community organizations for their efforts to stop gun violence, but added the community is doing less to help grieving families such as hers.
      Raul Miranda, left, and Olga Davis watch lanterns float over Kiwanis Lake in memory of Erick Miranda, Thursday, Sept. 20, 2018. Miranda was murdered Sept. 20, 2015 in a drive-by shooting. His case is one of only a few cold cases in York City. John A. Pavoncello photo (Photo: The York Dispatch)
      "I don't know what can be done to stop it, and I don't know how they're going to stop it," Davis said. "York is just tired. We're sick of shootings; we're afraid to walk to the store."
      Although Davis said knowing who the killer is won't take all of the pain away, it is the closest thing to closure the family can hope for.
      York City Police Chief Troy Bankert explained in an email the process of handling unsolved homicide case.
      "Homicides do not have statute of limitations, therefore they remain open," the chief said. "When a homicide is unsolved, we review the case as needed. However, typically, new evidence is presented which is then immediately followed up on. We do the initial investigation until all evidence is reviewed and all witnesses are questioned."
      Anyone with information is asked to call police at 717-846-1234 or text "yorktips" and then the message to 847411.
      https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/local/2018/09/21/three-years-day-since-unsolved-killing-york-family-holds-vigil-erik-miranda/1371116002/
    • By Jack Ryan
      Mike MartindaleUpdated 6:11 p.m. ET Feb. 16, 2018 Keego Harbor Â— A quiet residential street became a horrific crime scene Friday with news that four people — a couple and their adult children — died in what police are describing as a triple murder-suicide.

By late afternoon, some yellow police crime scene tape remained around the two-story wood frame bungalow in the 2300 block of Cass Lake Road where police were sent about 8:10 a.m. on a welfare check after a relative became worried about the family, Keego Harbor Police Chief John Fitzgerald said.
      One of four bodies is removed from the home of the 2300 block of Cass Lake Road. (Photo: Clarence Tabb Jr., The Detroit News)
      “A relative had concerns and asked us to look into it,” said Fitzgerald. “It’s tragic and our thoughts and prayers are with the family.”
      Inside the house officers found four bodies who neighbors identified as Daniel Stuart, 47, his wife, Lauren, 45, and their children, Bethany, 24, and Steven, 27.
      Fitzgerald said the “perpetrator” was among the dead but would not provide details other than to stress “we think we know what happened here and there is no danger to neighbors.”
      Fitzgerald said police have recovered what is believed to be the murder weapon but would not elaborate. He said all the deaths remain under investigation.
      Keego Harbor Police Chief John Fitzgerald briefs the media on the murder-suicide. (Photo: Clarence Tabb Jr., The Detroit News)
      Neighbors John and Jackie Tristani said they awoke Friday to learn police were outside the victimsÂ’ home.
      “My son said police were repeatedly calling out ‘Lauren, come outside,’ " said John Tristani. “When she didn’t respond they (police) went inside. A few minutes later, they came back outside, shaking their heads.”
      Tristani said he had been watching television late Thursday night and never heard anything from the Stuarts' home.
      Sources close to the investigation said the family pet, a dog, was also slain by the killer. Investigators also found a note which may help explain what led up to the deaths. They would not discuss its contents.
      The deaths puzzle the Tristanis, who knew Lauren Stuart as a “hard-working” neighbor who could often be seen working in her yard and remodeled the house largely on her own.
      “She would often come over and borrow tools – a saw, a pickaxe – whatever,” said Tristani. “She was always doing something.”
      The Tristanis said in one of their first meetings with Lauren Stuart a few years ago she attempted to “recruit” them into the Jehovah’s Witnesses.
      “I said we were Catholics and weren’t interested,” he said. “She accepted the answer and it was the end of that.”
      Lauren Stuart worked at an area gym, he said, and her husband was involved in some form of medical business in the Ann Arbor area.
      Darlene and Dennis Buck, who live a block away on Cass Lake Road, said they were enroute home from a trip to northern Michigan when they learned of the murder-suicide.
      “We have lived here since ’74 and nothing like this has ever happened in our neighborhood — not even close,” said Darlene Buck.
      Jackie Tristani said she found it all “scary” – not just the deaths but that something might have been going on in a neighbor’s home without her knowledge. She had tried to get Bethany a job at her workplace and her son knew both Bethany and Steven. There was never any mention or indication of trouble inside the home, she said.
      “I would hope that if there was a problem inside there someone would have reached out, we would have tried to help,” she said, her voice quaking. “Maybe we could have done something.
      “But you never really know everything there is about your neighbors, do you?”
      http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2018/02/16/4-dead-keego-harbor-murder-suicide/345756002/
    • By Bible Speaks
      AUSTRALIA
      ASSASSINATION OF A COMPLETE WITNESS FAMILY.
      A disgruntled Jehovah's Witness whose family was killed in the Margaret River massacre has spoken of his children going to a "new system" after his tragic death.
      The bodies of the four autistic children of Aaron Cockman, Taye, 13, Rylan, 12, Arye, 10 and Kadyn Cockman, eight, were found on Friday at the family farm in Osmington, in rural western Australia.
      The youngsters, as well as Katrina, a separated couple of Mr Cockman, 35, and his mother Cynda, 58, are believed to have been shot dead by the children's grandfather, Peter Miles, 61.
      "My whole family has remained strong, we were all seated last night and it was not tears or tears ... it all smiled, laughed and joked," said Mr. Cockman, according to The West.
      Aaron Cockman, a Jehovah's Witness whose family was killed in the Margaret River massacre, spoke of his children going to a "new system" after their tragic deaths.
      https://en.mogaznews.com/World-News/902523/Margaret-River-massacre-Jehovahs-Witness-father-speaks-about-his-children-.html

• By The Librarian
      A man who is accused of murdering an electrician as he was working at a Jehovah's Witness hall is to be moved to hospital for a psychiatric assessment.
      Keith Beviss, aged 54, of Woodhayes Drive, Honiton, is currently on remand at Long Lartin Prison but is likely to be transferred shortly.
      He is due to be tried at Exeter Crown Court on November 27 for the murder of 55-year-old Philip Ryan at the Jehovah Witness Kingdom Hall in Dowell Street, Honiton, on Tuesday June 6.

Mr Ryan, a married electrician from Westward Ho!, North Devon, was found with fatal stab wounds. He had run Ryan Alarms and Electrical Services with friend Chris Ley for 30 years after moving to Devon from Henley on Thames.
      Beviss appeared at Exeter Crown Court by video link from Long Lartin and spoke only to confirm his name.
      Mr Simon Laws, QC, prosecuting, said a report has been received from consultant psychiatrist Dr John Sandford, who examined Beviss on behalf of the defence.
      He said the Crown hope to obtain their own report from a second consultant psychiatrist, Dr Philip Joseph, who hopes to interview the defendant after he has been transferred from jail to a psychiatric hospital.
      Judge Geoffrey Mercer, QC, adjourned the case for a further hearing on November 3, when the arrangements for the trial will be finalised. He remanded Beviss into custody.
      http://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/man-accused-murdering-jehovahs-witness-517994
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      HOUSTON — Floodwaters in two Houston neighborhoods have been contaminated with bacteria and toxins that can make people sick, testing organized by The New York Times has found. Residents will need to take precautions to return safely to their homes, public health experts said.
      It is not clear how far the toxic waters have spread. But Fire Chief Samuel Peña of Houston said over the weekend that there had been breaches at numerous waste treatment plants. The Environmental Protection Agency said on Monday that 40 of 1,219 such plants in the area were not working.
      The results of The TimesÂ’s testing were troubling. Water flowing down Briarhills Parkway in the Houston Energy Corridor contained Escherichia coli, a measure of fecal contamination, at a level more than four times that considered safe.
      Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/health/houston-flood-contamination.html?referer=https://t.co/miWupboUTD?amp=1&_r=2&utm_source=STAT+Newsletters&utm_campaign=4468493968-MR&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8cab1d7961-4468493968-149848353

• By TheWorldNewsOrg
      What is it about Houston?

• By Bible Speaks
      9 "So then, Jehovah knows how to rescue people of godly devotion out of trial, but to reserve unrighteous people to be destroyed on the day of judgment."
      ( 2 Peter 2:9) NWT 

• By Bible Speaks
      How to Cope with a 
      Thorn in the Flesh....
      ARE you contending with some ongoing trial? 
      If so, you are not alone. In these “critical times hard to deal with,” faithful Christians are coping with bitter opposition, family problems, sickness, financial anxieties, emotional distresses, the loss of loved ones in death, and other challenges.
      Some may even cry out to God, “Why are you letting this happen to me?” 
      If such a negative attitude were to take root in a person’s heart, it could erode his joy and confidence.
      Jehovah God fights in our behalf. He has made sure that his servants are not ignorant regarding Satan’s tactics. (2 Corinthians 2:11)
      Paul, having been sorely tried, was inspired to write: “There was given me a thorn in the flesh, an angel of Satan, to keep slapping me, that I might not be overly exalted.” (2 Corinthians 12:7) 
      What was this thorn in Paul’s flesh? Well, a thorn lodged deep under the skin would certainly be painful. So the metaphor suggests something that caused Paul pain—whether physical, emotional, or both. 
      It may be that Paul suffered from an eye affliction or some other physical infirmity. 
      Or the thorn may have involved those individuals who challenged Paul’s credentials as an apostle and called into question his preaching and teaching work. (2 Corinthians 10:10-12; 11:5, 6, 13) 
      Whatever it was, that thorn remained in place and could not be removed.
      Today, Satan is just as pleased when we are similarly troubled by a thorn in the flesh.
      God has given us many examples inhis holy Word, the Bible, showing that his faithful servants have successfully coped with thorns in their flesh.
      •Paul 
      •Mephibosheth
      •Nehemiah
      •Rebekah
      •Hannah
      •King David 
      •Micaiah
      •Job
      The preceding examples by no means represent an exhaustive list. The Bible contains many more. 
      All these faithful servants had to contend with their own figurative thorns. And what a wide variety of problems they faced! 
      Yet, they had something incommon. None of them gave up in their service to Jehovah. 
      Read this at this link and know you are not alone with your own personal thorn in the flesh! 
      Despite all their distressing tests, they overcame Satan in the strength that Jehovah provided them. 
      http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002123?q=thorns+in+the+flesh&p=par#h=29

• By Bible Speaks
      Let Trials Strengthen You - Keep Strong and Focused! "I am with you" Come with Me? ~
      (Matthew 28:20)
      "I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things."
      As long as we live in this old system of things, trials of one form or another are inevitable. But instead of becoming downhearted, why not view trials as an opportunity to confirm your love for God and to refine your faith in him and his Word? The disciple James wrote: “Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you meet with various trials, knowing as you do that this tested quality of your faith works out endurance.” (Jas. 1:2-4) Remember, too, that “Jehovah knows how to deliver people of godly devotion out of trial.”

(2 Peter 2:9) Jehovah knows how to deliver people of godly devotion out of trial, but to reserve unrighteous people for the day of judgment to be cut off."
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    didiervaissiere
    Newest Member
    didiervaissiere

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.