The World News Media

11 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

The Hemlock Lake to Rochester fresh water channel is gravity fed. Once the water reaches city reserviors, of course, it is pressurized. 

You are wrong, TTH .... (SUPRISE!) ... the Hemlock Water Treatment Plant, almost 28 miles due South of Rochester, YOUR HOME TOWN (?), is almost 900 feet above sea level ... and most of Rochester is somewhere around 250 to 500 feet above sea level.  The water is treated AT THE PLANT and enters several pipes about 5 feet in diameter, and for every 33 feet of drop going through those pipes towards Rochester, gains a full atmosphere of PRESSURE from the gravity.

It's a HIGH PRESSURE line requiring gasketed and flanged steel pipes.  Rochester prefers to buy it's water from Hemlock Lake because it does NOT require electric pumps,  like say, the treatment plant North of the city drawing water from Lake Ontario,  which does require pumping because it is UPHILL to Rochester users ... It costs MONEY to pump water to the head of a water treatment plant, and then uphill and to the top of a water tower, etc.

The Hemlock Lake Facility has all the pressure it needs, and MORE.  and the water is treated NOT in Rochester .. but at the Hemlock Water Treatment Plant.

A 4" pipe opened fully at the bottom would shoot a column of water several hundred feet into the sky.

Sewers, on the other hand, ARE NON- PRESSURIZED GRAVITY LINES, and are NOT pressure pipes ... except for "force mains" (uphill sewer lines, and hydraulic siphons .. a comparative rarity ..) are designed to flow 3/4 full, maximum, by gravity, as above 3/4 full the "hydraulic radius" actually makes a full pipe flow more slowly and less efficiently than a partially filled sewer pipe, because of friction against the pipe's side walls. They usually have "slip joints" with rubber "O" rings, and a lot of ground water seeps into sewers with the MUCH cheaper pipe fittings, which can be bent into a radius with about 12 degrees at the end of each pipe section, if needed.

They have MANHOLES with vent holes that are at atmospheric pressure, THAT DO NOT SQUIRT SEWAGE HIGH INTO THE SKY.

THERE IS AIR IN THE MANHOLES, AND AIR IN THE SEWER LINES

11 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

I do notice, however, that I have taken you up on your constant taunt: 'challenge me on ANYTHING - PLEASE DO IT! - and see if I am not the VERY PERSONIFICATION of TRUTH' and you skulk away, tail between your legs, with a 'oh, sorry, I was talking about someone else.' 

Too scared to walk the sewers, are you? My great grandpa would have eaten you for lunch!

I have never sulked away from one of your ranting challenges ... because I do not NEED to ... you are ALWAYS wrong.

You also always misquote me in order to make yourself look good, many times by SELECTIVELY quoting, and then make up some disparaging fantasy and try to project it from YOUR mind, to me.  

That's OK ... I am not the slightest bit offended ... if you want to continue it's no problem for me to continue to cut you off at the knees.  That is the advantage of an outrageous sense of humor ... most EVERYTHING is FUNNY!

I EXPECT to be challenged on everything I say, without exception, so how could I possibly be offended when someone calls me on it and actually does?

That is the way it SHOULD BE.   The only alternative is to have a Nation of Fools, con-men, and their marks.

Oh, and by the way ... there is not a "channel", anywhere in the system.

It is a magnificent system that still works the way it was designed over a hundred years ago.  You may be justifiably proud of your (edited: Great Grandfather's) efforts.

NEXT?

• Views 5.6k
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not to worry. This isn't a real thread. Not exactly anyway. I was asked to try my hand at splitting off some of the diversionary topics from the thread called: Perhaps you heard of it. Well

thank you for all your comments, even though my language is not,  somethings which makes it little hard for me to understand you fully, and read all your words fast. sorry if I make any mistakes. 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Vic Vomidog said:

Let's start up a thread on those CAVEATS!

Already been done, vomit dog, they're old hat. Besides, you have a reputation of -2, you don't qualify to make any suggestions in this orchestra

18 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

"This concludes this evening's performance of 'The 1914 Overture,' with Maestro Bruce Q conducting the Forum Orchestra and Chorale, with JTR acccompanying on the cymbals. Maestro Q brilliantly led the orchestra through a strident interpretation of 'Hail to the Chief,' before finally rallying all for a stirring rendition of 'We Will Be Loyal With Caveats!' Our thanks to @The Librarianfor keeping the concert hall open past her bedtime. Tune in next week when we will hear a performance of the timeless opera 'The Overlappers.'"

He he he! By the way, I think the Librarian is on holiday again, otherwise surely she/he wouldn't be tolerating that sewer discussion between you and JTR, and the Rolex affair with me...

22 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

You may be justifiably proud of your Grandfather's efforts.

Great grandfather. My grandfather was a Kodak man, back when there was a Kodak. (it still exists, but it is a shadow, and is largely out of town.

24 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

You are wrong, TTH

Well, that's what they told us at Cobb's Hill Reservior, when they unveiled a monument (plaque) to great grandpa. they opened up the facility then and anyone that wanted could climb down and see the infrastructure. Whatever was today is not necessarily the same as yesteryear, but the general pattern is the same, with updates.

I don't have it at my fingertips, but if he died at 102 and maintained an office at City Hall till then, his 30 years might be more. Perhaps it is 40. Or perhaps it is his formal employment as C.O, after which there were years of consulting. He is listed as among Rochester's most dedicated public servants. Nobody has heard of him anymore, which is a good reminder of how quickly we are forgotten after our time, regardless of our accomplishments,  and how welcome is the prospect of everlasting life.

34 minutes ago, Anna said:

Already been done, vomit dog, they're old hat. Besides, you have a reputation of -2, you don't qualify to make any suggestions in this orchestra

I FIND THIS HIGHLY OFFENSIVE, MISS @The LibrarianANNA IS MAKING FUN OF MY NAME. THE VOMIDOG FAMILY HAS PROUD ROOTS REACHING BACK TO NIMROD. IT IS NOT 'VOMIT DOG!' I AM INSULTED! MAKE HER STOP!

8 minutes ago, Vic Vomidog said:

I FIND THIS HIGHLY OFFENSIVE, MISS @The LibrarianANNA IS MAKING FUN OF MY NAME. THE VOMIDOG FAMILY HAS PROUD ROOTS REACHING BACK TO NIMROD. IT IS NOT 'VOMIT DOG!' I AM INSULTED! MAKE HER STOP!

No luck there Vomi, she's on some tropical island tanning her hide and doesn't wish to be bothered

55 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

You also always misquote me in order to make yourself look good, many times by SELECTIVELY quoting,

I have to selectively quote. If i make everyone read your entire bombastic remarks again, @The Librariangets upset with me. She likes me better than you.

4 minutes ago, Anna said:

No luck there Vomi, she's on some tropical island tanning her hide and doesn't wish to be bothered

I feel sorry for any sun having to tan that ugly hide.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.