The World News Media

Jehovahs witnesses and higher education

The Librarian

10 minutes ago, Jack Ryan said:

Elders will be deleted if a family member is pursuing a university education. 2nd paragraph bullet point 3. 

Not really. It says that the question of deletion will be raised if a member of his family is pursuing a university education. The question arises as to whether the elder supported the decision emotionally or financially while the child was (or is) still under his roof. In cases where the elder makes it clear that the child will be living on their own immediately after college, and that it was their own "adult" decision, he might still be considered as not having his "household in subjection." Still, if his reputation as a family head is intact, and his counsel is still respected by other families -- because they know he himself opposes university education and did what he could, then he will not be deleted. If it is clear that others will say, "Why can't my child go to the university, after all, your child is going?" then he cannot serve as a good example. As you can imagine, this is not consistently applied, which creates further accusations of injustice.

There have been cases where the spouse of an elder goes, and the elder was not dismissed. This was more of an unwritten rule for the past several years, so it's possible that the Circuit Overseer's have stricter instructions as of 2017.

• Views 6k
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair enough and I agree with you on that. There is always a risk - even when we try to do the right thing, pray, follow scriptural principles, avoid bad areas... I'm sure you would also agree though,

ON COMPETENT ADVICE: it is up to EVERY INDIVIDUAL Brother and Sister to review in their own mind how COMPETENT this advice was .... because it has not changed ... Taking sound, reality based

He reiterated this again just today! Gerrit Lösch gives a special talk the Norval Assembly Hall in Georgetown Canada There were 2 sisters who got up and had a dramatization about a sister no

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

College education seems to be on a decline nowadays, for people are trying to find other alternatives, some join the military and or the navy, so it is a mixed bag. There are those who work and teach themselves a trade and or something to land them the job.

What matters is to provide for yourself, your family, cloth yourself, feed yourself, keep a roof on your head, etc.

A friend of mine is working for Microsoft, and he taught himself, worked for and got the certs all this while relaxing at mom and dad's house until the checks started to roll in and he moved out at the age of 29.

I know for IT if you land some certs you pretty much get for foot in the door, especially if it is anything to do with Microsoft or Cisco.

On 7/4/2017 at 12:06 AM, JW Insider said:

If you are already in college, we won't tell you to drop out, but we commend you if you do.

I know (knew :),  2 JW  sisters (siblings). They came from small town near Zagreb, in my ex congregation. One of them finished higher education. In meantime she found, meet (i don't know exactly how) one brother from USA,  he was/is in Betel headquarter NY. She married to him and went to Brooklyn headquarter ( i think this took place before  cca 5-8 years).

Her sister stayed in Zagreb, quit education in a middle of study or before ending, not sure, and she went to Zagreb Betel. I don't know if she is still in, because WT reduced Betel stuff before few years, and many was  gone in pioneer service  or looking for secular job. 

By what, whose  man commendation, recommendation, advice, friendly support? Or by own stupidity? Or both?

@Srecko Sostar By no ones recommendation. Granted if the care for God and giving oneself up to God in Sacred and Devoted Service is an option to such ones, it isn't a crime to do that. God's Son gave command to adhere to the Great Commission, it is a command not to be taken lightly, let alone being like that of a living sacrifice in terms of total service to God.

So it wouldn't be stupidity, granted with if one is aware of the situation with higher education in the US itself. No one is going to stop anyone however I think the concern is being spiritually weak and the possibly to being open to what the Freemasons are doing in the schools regarding prepping young ones via frat houses and the like if such are selected. Another fear would be sexual immorality i.e. You can have a daughter going to Rutgers and she will possibly be a target, granted a lot of things of the like is taking place, and lastly, Gang-Stalking, it does not only happen to people of color or racial background, nor does it only take place in the churches, it happens in the schools too.

12 hours ago, Space Merchant said:

@Srecko Sostar By no ones recommendation. Granted if the care for God and giving oneself up to God in Sacred and Devoted Service is an option to such ones, it isn't a crime to do that. God's Son gave command to adhere to the Great Commission, it is a command not to be taken lightly, let alone being like that of a living sacrifice in terms of total service to God.

So it wouldn't be stupidity, granted with if one is aware of the situation with higher education in the US itself. No one is going to stop anyone however I think the concern is being spiritually weak and the possibly to being open to what the Freemasons are doing in the schools regarding prepping young ones via frat houses and the like if such are selected. Another fear would be sexual immorality i.e. You can have a daughter going to Rutgers and she will possibly be a target, granted a lot of things of the like is taking place, and lastly, Gang-Stalking, it does not only happen to people of color or racial background, nor does it only take place in the churches, it happens in the schools too.

Bad things happens to all of us, in home, kindergarten, school, workplace, on holidays ....etc.

Well, choice to doing "normal" stuff as going to higher education is, have to be matter of your personal choice and NOT RESULT OF DOGMATIC TEACHING, INSTRUCTION, ADVICE, COMMENDATION of Church Leaders. 

About "stupidity". There is two sort of that connected to comment i made. One came from naivete , inexperience, or natural lack of reasoning for some stuff. Other came because we alone make us (and with help of others people too) to believe something and have strong feeling how we make best decision.

Religion (and not only religion) have that power to make us so sure in wrong things. Don't you think the same?      

2 hours ago, Srecko Sostar said:

Bad things happens to all of us, in home, kindergarten, school, workplace, on holidays ....etc.

Well, choice to doing "normal" stuff as going to higher education is, have to be matter of your personal choice and NOT RESULT OF DOGMATIC TEACHING, INSTRUCTION, ADVICE, COMMENDATION of Church Leaders. 

About "stupidity". There is two sort of that connected to comment i made. One came from naivete , inexperience, or natural lack of reasoning for some stuff. Other came because we alone make us (and with help of others people too) to believe something and have strong feeling how we make best decision.

Religion (and not only religion) have that power to make us so sure in wrong things. Don't you think the same?      

Yes I agree with your last sentence. I first learnt the JW teachings from my brother. I had always believed and relied on my 'big' brother for advice as he always seemed sensible and balanced. My father died, at age 49, when i was only 20, so my brother acted as a father to me in many ways.  So, I took what my brother said as 'truth' in many matters .... However, now I've grown older and have more experience in life, i have come to realise that not all things my brother said were 'truth', to the point that i now know that he would use things to his own advantage. 

And as I've said before the JW Org have a way of telling congregants not to question anything they say. And once again when a person gets older or wiser, then they do their own research, they find that not all JW teachings are true. 

6 hours ago, Srecko Sostar said:

Indeed, granted most areas are considered Soft Targets, anything can happen at any given time, on the other side of the spectrum, there are those who are haunted by and experience and the like.

Indeed you have the choice, but the fact of the matter doing such would hinder any connection with God or not. The only thing you cannot have a choice about is the type of people you will be around, a stoner, a sex addict, someone who is seeking you out, a manipulator, etc. I have been down this road before.

And no, the teachings are not dogmatic, as we have examples in Scripture already. The bottom line is not losing one's connection and or relationship with God, which is something that can easily be lost in things that tend to take up time.

If you want an experience of mine, 3 of my professors had issues with being overly religious, one of the 3 attempted to fail me because he felt that me reading the Bible was disgracing him since he was homosexual, and assumes that I 100% hateful towards gays of which I am not. I simply told him I do not hate him as a person, just not someone in favor of his conduct and I simply pulled verses in Ephesians. For when he, came out of the closet, so to speak.

Clearly it didn't change his view of me, but it is evident that he was clearly not a fan of the Bible, on one occasion he tried to test me, to show me in the Bible homosexuality was not sin, that Jesus would have accepted it,but he failed miserably. A good thing that semester, that was a war zone, had been done away with and completed.

Our Church Fathers were educated, and if one did the research, they'd look at their backgrounds, I explained this to you months ago already.

What?

Religion and or our faith is the best education we have, who does not want to read and understand things about God and his Word?

And because of faith by means of Christ-like practices to be in application in our lives, it helps a lot, examples, a man who is of Christ knows not to commit a type of sin in regards to desire of the flesh vs. someone who does not - very simple.

That being said, it didn't take religion to see how the system in the realm of education is seen being played out by others, hence the rate we see today.

• 5 months later...