The World News Media

Tesla issues software update to help owners flee Hurricane Irma, boosts battery range

Tesla has issued an unannounced over the air software update to Model S 60 owners living within Florida’s Hurricane Irma evacuation zone. Model S 60 owners that were previously software limited 210 miles of range per single charge were automatically upgraded to 249 miles, and given temporary access to the full range capacity of the vehicle’s 75 kWh battery pack.

The update is seen as a gesture of good will by Tesla to help its drivers flee southern Florida as the state prepares for the most powerful Atlantic storm to hit its shores in nearly a decade.

Reports of Tesla Model S 60 owners living in the path of Hurricane Irma who received a sudden increase in battery range first surfaced on Reddit. “I’m in South Florida and I own a MS60. I just checked my app and look what it says. I’ve never been higher that 215 miles. Did Tesla do this for evacuations?” asked Redditor Ludachris9000.

Similar reports soon followed across the Tesla Motors Club, with one Tesla owner confirming that the battery range upgrade was issued to all Tesla owners with an upgradeable 60 kWh battery, and living in Hurricane Irma’s evacuation zone in Florida, to 75 kWh. The update adds another 40 miles of driving range.

“I verified it was released to any 60s in the evacuation zones. I was told it will be removed on September 16.” said CMPSL.

Teslarati reached out to Tesla for confirmation after hearing wide reports of similar stories being reported by owners. A Tesla spokesperson confirms that an over-the-air software update was in fact issued to increase driving range for owners that may be impacted by Hurricane Irma.

The post Tesla issues software update to help owners flee Hurricane Irma, boosts battery range appeared first on TESLARATI.com.

Via

• Views 256
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Popular Days