The World News Media

What does not passing the collection plate really mean anyway?

Shiwiii

On 9/17/2017 at 10:39 PM, Witness said:

There's a recent Watchtower study edition on this very topic.  “The Generous Person Will Be Blessed”  11/2017, pp. 18,19

Quote:  "We can be assured that “the generous person will be blessed.” Moreover, when we give our valuable things (monetary valuables, of course) to Jehovah, we honor him.Prov. 3:9;22:9."

Not according to Jesus, or his apostles.

Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”  Matt 19:21

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."  Matt 6:24

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." 1 Tim 6:10

"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life."  1 Tim 6:17-19

Obviously, the GB has it all wrong.  

"Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income.This too is meaningless."  Eccl 5:10

What you are talking about is not what the WT is talking about. Completely different topic.

• Views 7.8k
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The rewards program goes like this, as an example ... The JW singer Prince (PBUH) contributed about $38 thousand dollars a month to his local Kingdom Hall.  Most of this was sent to Brooklyn, whi

Anna you have answer before eyes :))))  

I don't know about you, but I LIKE flying Business Class .... it makes flying First Class like being in a cardboard box. I only flew business class one time, from North Carolina to Norway, and th

Posted Images

On 9/18/2017 at 5:56 PM, Shiwiii said:

I have NEVER, EVER seen this

My step son is a Mormon and they tithe 10%

and here are links where you can read up about the topic of passing plates

http://www.churchmarketingsucks.com/2009/03/passing-the-plate-poll-results/

http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/2009/march/passing-plate.html

The only reason why passing the plate might peter out in the future is because less and less people carry paper money and more will want to pay by card or check. Tithing no doubt will stay for some denominations.

5 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

I was raised United Presbyterian.

Hmmmm.... the Muppet Fozzie Bear was a Presbyterian and he also was a comedian.

( you have to see the original circa 1980 "Muppet Movie" ...)

Dwight David Eisenhower was also a Presbyterian, after he became President of the USA, but he was raised  in a family of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Coincidence ?

3 hours ago, Anna said:

What you are talking about is not what the WT is talking about. Completely different topic.

Look at that article again, and see the inset note at the bottom of the page. The whole article is to get your head nodding up and down, so when you get to WHY they chose that topic, your head will STILL be nodding up and down.

Like the man said to his wife when watching the televangelist on TV jumping around and telling them they had been healed of their tongue warts, then looking in the mirror ...  "Hees widte! .... Gebt de theckboogh !"

The Society has STILL not recovered from the 2015 "Red October Meltdown"

3 hours ago, Anna said:

Tithing no doubt will stay for some denominations.

Just a thought that "tithing" today can refer to any % of income as a contribution to a religious organisation and may no longer be compulsory. Also, many countries still distribute tax revenues to religious organisations.

I suppose exemption from VAT is another avenue,  as is the "covenanting" of donations which exempts from income tax  and enables government rebates. It all comes from the "communal pot".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithe

2 minutes ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Mostly during the mid-week meetings, my head also nods up and down continuously, as does my wife's.  Sometimes I will pat her on the opposite shoulder, or she will discreetly stick me with a ball point pen

Maybe there is a place for a frequent passing of a rattling plate in your neck of the woods. :)

19 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:
22 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

There was the statement you made that the sole purpose of the law was to serve for our happiness.

TTH:

I suspect that you, as usual, have misunderstood what I said.  Since I don't remember saying that ... the burden of proof is on you to quote what I actually did say.  So far ...your accusation has no basis of reference.

It's nice not to remember what you have said. Not everyone has that luxury. From the thread Friends With Benefits:

TTH: "Many times you have challenged readers to point to even one thing you have said that is not true. I will take you up on your challenge now.

"You just said an untruth, and it is a big one. It is fundamental to everything else you say:

On 8/7/2017 at 7:15 PM, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

The alternate explanation would have to be reasonable, show common sense, and the end result be merciful, and just ... and NOT HURT ANYONE ... which is the whole point ofALL Theocratic Law.

"It's not about us. Not primarily. Primarily, it is about the sanctification of God's name and the vindication of his purpose. 'Not hurting anyone,'  though a good provision, is not as good as keeping God's name on high and his purpose undeterred.

"Furthermore, though you have been very critical of the Governing Body, this understanding predates the Governing Body. It first emerged in Rutherford's day."

In response to my comment, you squealed that it was irrelevant because you had not just then issued a challenge to point out anything untrue you might have said. It is relevant now, as you have just done so.

Your reading comprehension skills are at their usual nonexistent level, TTH. clouded by a fantasy agenda.

Jehovah God is a "someone".

Read over my statement once again, from your quote of my post ....

28 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:
  On 8/7/2017 at 7:15 PM, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:
  On 8/7/2017 at 7:15 PM, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

The alternate explanation would have to be reasonable, show common sense, and the end result be merciful, and just ... and NOT HURT ANYONE ... which is the whole point ofALL Theocratic Law.

... "... and the end result be merciful, and just ...".

It is Jehovah who defines what is Justice.

If you are deliberately unjust, it is a challenge to his sovereignty.

Get it?

When I was younger, I screwed up several peoples lives with agenda driven advice ... of which I am forever ashamed ... and know from whence I speak.

31 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

"Furthermore, though you have been very critical of the Governing Body, this understanding predates the Governing Body. It first emerged in Rutherford's day."

The principles behind my advice in the my original post you quoted, and I copied here, predates Adam and Eve ... and in principle even applied to the pre-human Cavemen and Women, etc.,   that existed hundreds of thousands of years before "Homo Theocraticus" were directly created by Jehovah God.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.