The World News Media

What does not passing the collection plate really mean anyway?

Shiwiii

10 hours ago, Anna said:

What you are talking about is not what the WT is talking about. Completely different topic.

You can't be serious.  

Shiwiii attached a document addressing “How to Donate to the Worldwide Work

At the bottom of the Watchtower article I noted is a long explanation of how to become that "generous person" who "will be blessed":

“How Some Choose To Contribute To The Worldwide Work”

As in the apostle Paul’s day, many today “set something aside,” or budget an amount of money, and place it in the congregation contribution box labeled “Worldwide Work.” (1 Cor. 16:2) Each month, congregations forward these contributions to the office of Jehovah’s Witnesses that serves their branch territory. It is also possible for you to send donations directly to a legal entity that is used by Jehovah’s Witnesses in the country where you reside. To learn the name of the primary legal entity used by Jehovah’s Witnesses in the country where you live, please contact the branch office. The address can be found on www.jw.org. Depending on local conditions, the types of donations that you can send directly may include:

OUTRIGHT DONATIONS

• Donations via electronic bank transfer, debit card, or credit card. In some branches this is also possible using jw.org or another designated website.
  • Donations of cash, jewelry, or other valuable personal property. Include a letter indicating that the cash or the item is an outright donation.

CONDITIONAL DONATION ARRANGEMENT

• Donations of cash with the condition that it can be returned if needed by the donor.
  • Include a letter stating that the donation is conditional.

CHARITABLE PLANNING

In addition to gifts of money and valuable personal property, there are other ways to benefit Kingdom service worldwide. These are listed below. Regardless of the method or methods you would like to use, please first contact the branch office that serves your branch territory to see which avenues are available. Since legal requirements and tax laws vary, it is important to consult qualified tax and legal advisers before choosing the best way to donate.

Insurance and Retirement Plans: A donation made by specifying an entity used by Jehovah’s Witnesses as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy, individual retirement account, or a retirement/pension plan.

Bank Accounts: Bank accounts may be made payable on death to an entity used by Jehovah’s Witnesses in accord with local bank requirements.

Stocks and Bonds: Stocks and bonds donated to an entity used by Jehovah’s Witnesses as an outright gift or by means of a written agreement to transfer on death.

Real Estate: Salable real estate donated to an entity used by Jehovah’s Witnesses, either by making an outright gift or, in the case of residential property, by reserving a life estate to the donor, who can continue to live in the residence during his or her lifetime.

Wills and Trusts: Property or money may be bequeathed to an entity used by Jehovah’s Witnesses by means of a legally executed will or by specifying the entity as the beneficiary of a trust agreement. This arrangement may provide certain tax advantages.

As the term “charitable planning” implies, these types of donations typically require some planning on the part of the donor. To assist individuals desiring to benefit the worldwide work of Jehovah’s Witnesses through some form of charitable giving, a brochure entitled Charitable Planning to Benefit Kingdom Service Worldwide has been prepared in English and Spanish. The brochure was written to provide information on a variety of ways that gifts may be made now or later, such as through a bequest at death. The information covered in this brochure may not apply fully to your situation because of tax laws or other laws in the country where you reside. By using such methods of charitable giving, many have helped to support our religious and humanitarian activities worldwide and maximize tax benefits. If available in the country where you reside, the brochure may be obtained by requesting a copy from the secretary of the local congregation.

For more information, select the link “Make a Donation to Our Worldwide Work” at the bottom of any page on jw.org, or contact the branch office.

• Views 7.8k
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The rewards program goes like this, as an example ... The JW singer Prince (PBUH) contributed about $38 thousand dollars a month to his local Kingdom Hall.  Most of this was sent to Brooklyn, whi

Anna you have answer before eyes :))))  

I don't know about you, but I LIKE flying Business Class .... it makes flying First Class like being in a cardboard box. I only flew business class one time, from North Carolina to Norway, and th

Posted Images

Wrong again TTH.

You are PROJECTING things I do not believe.

AGAIN.

1 minute ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Moreover, it remains clear that your view of the Bible is that of a cross between the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights, with special emphasis on the latter. 

As a stamp collector yourself, you may remember the "American Credo" series of stamps, from 1960 or so.

The one credo by Thomas Jefferson I adopted as my own, clear to my bones, and with a fiery intensity that has not diminished since then.

I was 12 years old when I could say  "for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." .

That oath predated my being baptized as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in 1964 and I still do not find the two oaths incompatible.

"Boots on the ground" is another matter altogether.

Eternal Hostility.jpg

1 hour ago, Witness said:

It is a 'document' attached once a year in the Watchtower magazine. That hardly seems excessive. Certainly not 'money-hungry.'

Online changes everything. It is probably always possible to link to it. But still it is featured but once a year.

11 hours ago, Anna said:

My step son is a Mormon and they tithe 10%

and here are links where you can read up about the topic of passing plates

http://www.churchmarketingsucks.com/2009/03/passing-the-plate-poll-results/

http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/2009/march/passing-plate.html

The only reason why passing the plate might peter out in the future is because less and less people carry paper money and more will want to pay by card or check. Tithing no doubt will stay for some denominations.

You may be confusing tithing and mandatory giving. I have never been to a mormon church/temple, so I can't speak with authority on that particular sect, but the mormon church is hardly what is being referenced when the title "christendom" is used. That was my point. 

2 hours ago, Witness said:

You can't be serious.  

At the bottom of the Watchtower article I noted is a long explanation of how to become that "generous person" who "will be blessed":

“How Some Choose To Contribute To The Worldwide Work”

As in the apostle Paul’s day, many today “set something aside,” or budget an amount of money, and place it in the congregation contribution box labeled “Worldwide Work.” (1 Cor. 16:2) Each month, congregations forward these contributions to the office of Jehovah’s Witnesses that serves their branch territory. It is also possible for you to send donations directly to a legal entity that is used by Jehovah’s Witnesses in the country where you reside. To learn the name of the primary legal entity used by Jehovah’s Witnesses in the country where you live, please contact the branch office. The address can be found on www.jw.org. Depending on local conditions, the types of donations that you can send directly may include:

OUTRIGHT DONATIONS

• Donations via electronic bank transfer, debit card, or credit card. In some branches this is also possible using jw.org or another designated website.
  • Donations of cash, jewelry, or other valuable personal property. Include a letter indicating that the cash or the item is an outright donation.

CONDITIONAL DONATION ARRANGEMENT

• Donations of cash with the condition that it can be returned if needed by the donor.
  • Include a letter stating that the donation is conditional.

CHARITABLE PLANNING

In addition to gifts of money and valuable personal property, there are other ways to benefit Kingdom service worldwide. These are listed below. Regardless of the method or methods you would like to use, please first contact the branch office that serves your branch territory to see which avenues are available. Since legal requirements and tax laws vary, it is important to consult qualified tax and legal advisers before choosing the best way to donate.

Insurance and Retirement Plans: A donation made by specifying an entity used by Jehovah’s Witnesses as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy, individual retirement account, or a retirement/pension plan.

Bank Accounts: Bank accounts may be made payable on death to an entity used by Jehovah’s Witnesses in accord with local bank requirements.

Stocks and Bonds: Stocks and bonds donated to an entity used by Jehovah’s Witnesses as an outright gift or by means of a written agreement to transfer on death.

Real Estate: Salable real estate donated to an entity used by Jehovah’s Witnesses, either by making an outright gift or, in the case of residential property, by reserving a life estate to the donor, who can continue to live in the residence during his or her lifetime.

Wills and Trusts: Property or money may be bequeathed to an entity used by Jehovah’s Witnesses by means of a legally executed will or by specifying the entity as the beneficiary of a trust agreement. This arrangement may provide certain tax advantages.

As the term “charitable planning” implies, these types of donations typically require some planning on the part of the donor. To assist individuals desiring to benefit the worldwide work of Jehovah’s Witnesses through some form of charitable giving, a brochure entitled Charitable Planning to Benefit Kingdom Service Worldwide has been prepared in English and Spanish. The brochure was written to provide information on a variety of ways that gifts may be made now or later, such as through a bequest at death. The information covered in this brochure may not apply fully to your situation because of tax laws or other laws in the country where you reside. By using such methods of charitable giving, many have helped to support our religious and humanitarian activities worldwide and maximize tax benefits. If available in the country where you reside, the brochure may be obtained by requesting a copy from the secretary of the local congregation.

For more information, select the link “Make a Donation to Our Worldwide Work” at the bottom of any page on jw.org, or contact the branch office.

What are you getting all all upset about. Surely there is nothing wrong with information for anyone who wants to contribute on ways how to do it?

14 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

You're joking! The remark seems almost too disingenuous to answer.

I was raised United Presbyterian. Our family received pledge envelopes to put in the collection plate at services. Put in the amount pledged. Like any charity, a pledge was used as the basis to try to secure a greater pledge. My non-churchgoing dad even had words with the pastor about it, since my mom did not work outside of the home, thus he was the one who ended up paying.

My sister still is Presbyterian, Reformed. She tithes 10%. It is what's done.

What seems more trusting in God to you - a contribution box in the back where people may or may not give anonymously, or a collection plate passed through the rows and everyone nearby will know just how much one puts in?

I think you would have to be pretty obtuse to ask this question. I think I know why.

Your experience is not the experience of the majority I have encountered, nor anyone I know.  As far as you not wanting to ask them why, well that's up to you. The broad brush that the wt likes to paint against all who do not align with them, has infiltrated the minds of each jw to assume as the wt did. You can disagree, its ok. 

8 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

The whole article is to get your head nodding up and down, so when you get to WHY they chose that topic, your head will STILL be nodding up and down.

Well, not everybody is like that are they. But I have to admit when you gotta sleep you gotta sleep...

16 minutes ago, Shiwiii said:

Your experience is not the experience of the majority I have encountered, nor anyone I know.  As far as you not wanting to ask them why, well that's up to you. The broad brush that the wt likes to paint against all who do not align with them, has infiltrated the minds of each jw to assume as the wt did. You can disagree, its ok. 

Against my better judgement, I'll grant your sincerity here. 

The methods may differ but the fact that they 'shake em down' in religion for dough one way or the other is not. Nobody is as discreet as Jehovah's Witnesses, who have never taken collections and who rely on contribution boxes, which can be ignored by anyone who wishes to.

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

The methods may differ but the fact that they 'shake em down' in religion for dough one way or the other is not. Nobody is as discreet as Jehovah's Witnesses, who have never taken collections and who rely on contribution boxes, which can be ignored by anyone who wishes to.

Hey, I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, as I'm sure it does, but it does not reflect the majority. That is the false assumption made by the wt. 

Your opinion that the wt is so discreet, but it is my opinion that they do ask for money. Maybe they do not on an individual level, but on a cong level for sure. 

30 minutes ago, Shiwiii said:

Your opinion that the wt is so discreet, but it is my opinion that they do ask for money.

Yes they do. Once a year. You posted the long article. And even that is not asking for money. It is simply telling those inclined to donate the most effective ways of doing it.

Nobody emphasizes money less than Jehovah's Witnesses. Moreover, they clearly have something to show for what is donated. 

2 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Yes they do. Once a year. You posted the long article. And even that is not asking for money. It is simply telling those inclined to donate the most effective ways of doing it.

Nobody emphasizes money less than Jehovah's Witnesses. Moreover, they clearly have something to show for what is donated. 

Your opinion. Mine differs. Simple as that. I've given you my reasons why and that it is done on a larger scale then directly to you, the individual, but you ignore that. Ok. 

What do they have to show for the consolidation of kh's, in particular the ones paid for by the cong and dissolved by the wt? did the wt give the cong their money back? nope. Why not? I mean they paid for it themselves and not from a wt loan. What they did get was a big "thank you, now move along to the kh we tell you to go to now.