Shiwiii

What does not passing the collection plate really mean anyway?

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Shiwiii -
Shiwiii -

Top Posters

14 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

You're joking! The remark seems almost too disingenuous to answer.

I was raised United Presbyterian. Our family received pledge envelopes to put in the collection plate at services. Put in the amount pledged. Like any charity, a pledge was used as the basis to try to secure a greater pledge. My non-churchgoing dad even had words with the pastor about it, since my mom did not work outside of the home, thus he was the one who ended up paying.

My sister still is Presbyterian, Reformed. She tithes 10%. It is what's done.

What seems more trusting in God to you - a contribution box in the back where people may or may not give anonymously, or a collection plate passed through the rows and everyone nearby will know just how much one puts in?

I think you would have to be pretty obtuse to ask this question. I think I know why.

Your experience is not the experience of the majority I have encountered, nor anyone I know.  As far as you not wanting to ask them why, well that's up to you. The broad brush that the wt likes to paint against all who do not align with them, has infiltrated the minds of each jw to assume as the wt did. You can disagree, its ok. 

8 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

The whole article is to get your head nodding up and down, so when you get to WHY they chose that topic, your head will STILL be nodding up and down.

Well, not everybody is like that are they. But I have to admit when you gotta sleep you gotta sleep...

16 minutes ago, Shiwiii said:

Your experience is not the experience of the majority I have encountered, nor anyone I know.  As far as you not wanting to ask them why, well that's up to you. The broad brush that the wt likes to paint against all who do not align with them, has infiltrated the minds of each jw to assume as the wt did. You can disagree, its ok. 

Against my better judgement, I'll grant your sincerity here. 

The methods may differ but the fact that they 'shake em down' in religion for dough one way or the other is not. Nobody is as discreet as Jehovah's Witnesses, who have never taken collections and who rely on contribution boxes, which can be ignored by anyone who wishes to.

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

The methods may differ but the fact that they 'shake em down' in religion for dough one way or the other is not. Nobody is as discreet as Jehovah's Witnesses, who have never taken collections and who rely on contribution boxes, which can be ignored by anyone who wishes to.

Hey, I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, as I'm sure it does, but it does not reflect the majority. That is the false assumption made by the wt. 

Your opinion that the wt is so discreet, but it is my opinion that they do ask for money. Maybe they do not on an individual level, but on a cong level for sure. 

30 minutes ago, Shiwiii said:

Your opinion that the wt is so discreet, but it is my opinion that they do ask for money.

Yes they do. Once a year. You posted the long article. And even that is not asking for money. It is simply telling those inclined to donate the most effective ways of doing it.

Nobody emphasizes money less than Jehovah's Witnesses. Moreover, they clearly have something to show for what is donated. 

2 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Yes they do. Once a year. You posted the long article. And even that is not asking for money. It is simply telling those inclined to donate the most effective ways of doing it.

Nobody emphasizes money less than Jehovah's Witnesses. Moreover, they clearly have something to show for what is donated. 

Your opinion. Mine differs. Simple as that. I've given you my reasons why and that it is done on a larger scale then directly to you, the individual, but you ignore that. Ok. 

What do they have to show for the consolidation of kh's, in particular the ones paid for by the cong and dissolved by the wt? did the wt give the cong their money back? nope. Why not? I mean they paid for it themselves and not from a wt loan. What they did get was a big "thank you, now move along to the kh we tell you to go to now. 

8 minutes ago, Shiwiii said:

What do they have to show for the consolidation of kh's, in particular the ones paid for by the cong and dissolved by the wt? did the wt give the cong their money back? nope. Why not? I mean they paid for it themselves and not from a wt loan. What they did get was a big "thank you, now move along to the kh we tell you to go to now.

Not only do I agree with you emphatically, but I think all congregation members should have black leather jackets with the name of their congregation emblazoned on the back. Come now.

If your focus is to be a 'Little House on the Prairie' church, your viewpoint is fine. But if you are serious about carrying out Christ's commission to preach 'this good news of the kingdom throughout the inhabited earth,' you have no problem with effective organization. In fact, you thank God for it, since it enables the most' bang for the buck' globally.

Primarily, it is not about us. Most gripers here think that it is. It is about the sanctification of God's name and the realization of his purposes.

26 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

If your focus is to be a 'Little House on the Prairie' church, your viewpoint is fine. But if you are serious about carrying out Christ's commission to preach 'this good news of the kingdom throughout the inhabited earth,' you have no problem with effective organization. In fact, you thank God for it, since it enables the most' bang for the buck' globally.

Primarily, it is not about us. Most gripers here think that it is. It is about the sanctification of God's name and the realization of his purposes.

And exactly how much money does it cost to speak to someone? None. There is a reason why "religion is a snare and a racket", there is a reason why we are told not to worship riches, etc.

5 hours ago, Shiwiii said:

And exactly how much money does it cost to speak to someone? None. There is a reason why "religion is a snare and a racket", there is a reason why we are told not to worship riches, etc.

If your only goal is to get people to say "Accept the Lord and be Saved" to their immediate neighbors, not too much. In that case, go to the churches who emphasize money much more than us and ask for it back, since some of them have achieved only that small goal, despite (or because of) a paid clergy.

15 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

If your only goal is to get people to say "Accept the Lord and be Saved" to their immediate neighbors, not too much. In that case, go to the churches who emphasize money much more than us and ask for it back, since some of them have achieved only that small goal, despite (or because of) a paid clergy.

I don't pay to play so there are no churches that have my money. If you think that CO's and Do's don't get paid (green handshakes) then you obviously haven't been told the whole story. Do they get paid handsomely, nope, but paid none the less. To be honest, I really don't care who gets paid for what, I'm just not a fan of saying one thing and condemning other's for what you are doing also.  

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Returns
    Newest Member
    Returns

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.