Anna

Why do we understand the "prince of Persia" in Daniel 10:13 to be a wicked angel/Demon?

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Anna -
Melinda Mills -

Top Posters

Why do we understand the "prince of Persia" in Daniel 10:13 to be a wicked angel/Demon when it seems that the messenger is talking about a succession of actual kings, and if the demon is called a "prince" of Persia,  who then is the "prince" of Greece in 10:20?

*** dp chap. 12 pp. 204-205 Strengthened by a Messenger From God ***
[Box on page 204, 205]
Angelic Guardians or Demonic Rulers?
  WE CAN learn much from what the book of Daniel says about the angels. It tells us about the role they play in carrying out Jehovah’s word and the effort they put forth to fulfill their assignments.
  God’s angel said that on his way to speak to Daniel, he was hindered by “the prince of the royal realm of Persia.” After contending with him for 21 days, the angelic messenger was able to proceed only with the help of “Michael, one of the foremost princes.” The angel also said that he would again have to fight that enemy and possibly “the prince of Greece.” (Daniel 10:13, 20) No easy task, even for an angel! Who, though, were these princes of Persia and Greece?
  First of all, we note that Michael was called “one of the foremost princes” and “the prince of you people.” Later, Michael was referred to as “the great prince who is standing in behalf of the sons of [Daniel’s] people.” (Daniel 10:21; 12:1) This points to Michael as the angel assigned by Jehovah to lead the Israelites through the wilderness.—Exodus 23:20-23; 32:34; 33:2.
  Lending support to this conclusion is the disciple Jude’s statement that “Michael the archangel had a difference with the Devil and was disputing about Moses’ body.” (Jude 9) Michael’s position, power, and authority made him truly “the archangel,” meaning “the chief angel,” or “the principal angel.” Most fittingly, this lofty position can be applied to none other than Jesus Christ, the Son of God, before and after his life on earth.—1 Thessalonians 4:16; Revelation 12:7-9.
  Does this mean that Jehovah also appointed angels over such nations as Persia and Greece to guide them in their affairs? Well, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, openly stated: “The ruler of the world . . . has no hold on me.” Jesus also said: “My kingdom is no part of this world . . . my kingdom is not from this source.” (John 14:30; 18:36) The apostle John declared that “the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.” (1 John 5:19) It is clear that the nations of the world never were and are not now under the guidance or rulership of God or Christ. While Jehovah permits “the superior authorities” to exist and maintain control of earthly governmental affairs, he does not appoint his angels over them. (Romans 13:1-7) Any “princes” or “rulers” over them could be placed there only by “the ruler of the world,” Satan the Devil. They would have to be demonic rulers rather than angelic guardians. There are, then, invisible demonic forces, or “princes,” behind the visible rulers, and national conflicts involve more than mere humans.

=====

Also we are certain the world powers get their power from Satan the ruler of the demons. Read Rev 13:1,2

(Revelation 13:1, 2) And it stood still on the sand of the sea. And I saw a wild beast ascending out of the sea, with ten horns and seven heads, and on its horns ten diadems, but on its heads blasphemous names. 2 Now the wild beast that I saw was like a leopard, but its feet were like those of a bear, and its mouth was like a lion’s mouth. And the dragon gave to the beast its power and its throne and great authority.

Light and darkness do not cooperate together.

Italics, mine.

• Similar Content

• By James Thomas Rook Jr.
      For the past week, large and small headlines on all the Internet News sources have been hyping the controversy of a new movie by NBC ( The "Nobody But Clinton" ) network/ Universal Studios, about rich elite liberals kidnapping conservatives (the ones Hildabilly Clinton called "Deplorables" and putting them on an estate to be hunted like animals, for "sport". 
      It is SUPPOSED to be a satire ... and that is how it is being marketed, on political trends now operating in America, if they continue on the track they are now headed ... but others say it is just an evil movie,. 
      The movie is the 2019  "THE HUNT"
      I suppose some people will appreciate the satire, some the bloodshed, some the story line, or any number of factors, as varied as there are humans with different viewpoints. Some will despise the movie, for the same, or very different reasons.
      Satires push things to absurd scenarios and conclusions to get you to think, but many people cannot recognize satire without someone holding up a sign in front of them that says "SATIRE".
      I have not seen the movie, and may not see it ... certainly not at box office prices ... but about 65% of the people of the United States are mad as hell about SOME aspect of the movie.
      It might be worth the effort to actually know ... about what.
      My guess it is a Thriller Movie, about a possible future civil war. 
      But ... I am speaking now from complete ignorance, and LAWDY, Ah hates being ignorant!
      Since if you keep up with daily news, it is impossible to avoid learning about all the hub-bub surrounding this movie, which will be out September 27, perhaps you may be interested in one EXTREMELY intelligent and common sensical man's viewpoint, Mark Steyn.

Mark Steyn on 2019 movie The Hunt.wmv
    • By The Librarian
      Will the Demons be confined in Tartarus.....?

• By The Librarian
      Definition: A former angel who became a follower of Satan the Devil and subsequently thrown down to Earth from heaven in 1914. There were many millions of them evidently as  "third" of the angels rebelled and fought against Michael the Archangel.
      They have certain powers still with the exception of materializing as humans.

• By Witness
      The person who made this short quip was never a JW, although he is able to perceive the contradiction of teachings by the governing body.  
      Can you perceive the confusion?  (meaning of "Babylon")

• By Jack Ryan
      I continue to hear some JW's believe that shopping at second hand shops is risky since one could purchase a demon infested object.
      Is this true?
      If so, how is one to detect such an object?
    • By Bible Speaks
      HOW DEMONS TRICK PEOPLE
      New World Translation
      Deuteronomy 18:10, 11

Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. There should not be found in you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. anyone who employs divination, Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. anyone practicing magic, Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. anyone who looks for omens, Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. a sorcerer, Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. anyone binding others with a spell, anyone who consults a spirit medium Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. or a fortune-teller, Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. or anyone who inquires of the dead."

How do the demons trick people?
      The demons trick people in many ways. When people contact the demons they do it either directly or through someone else, such as a witch doctor or a psychic. Contact with the demons is called demonism or spiritism. But the Bible commands us to stay far away from anything that has to do with the demons. ( Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ) 
      Why? Just as a hunter uses a trap to catch animals, the demons use tricks to trap and control people.
      What is divination, and why should we avoid it?
      One of their tricks is called divination. That is the use of supernatural powers to try to find out about the future or the unknown. Someone might try to do this by looking at the stars, searching for omens, reading tarot cards, using a crystal ball, or reading the palm of a person’s hand. 
      Many people think that these practices are harmless, but they are not. They are very dangerous. For example, the Bible shows that demons and fortune-tellers work together. At Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. , we read about “a demon of divination” who helped a girl to do “fortune-telling.” After the apostle Paul sent the demon away, the girl lost her ability to foretell the future.
      (a) Why is it dangerous to try to communicate with the dead? (b) Why do God’s servants never get involved in demonic customs?
       The demons use another trick to trap people. They try to make us believe that it’s possible to talk to the dead and that those who have died are actually still alive somewhere and can communicate with us or hurt us. For example, someone whose friend or relative has died may go to a person, such as a spirit medium, who says he or she can talk to the dead. The medium may tell the person something interesting about the dead friend or relative and even imitate the dead person’s voice. ( Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ) 
      Many funeral customs are also based on the belief that the dead are still alive somewhere. These may include funeral celebrations, funeral anniversaries, sacrifices for the dead, widowhood rites, or some wake rituals. 
      When Christians refuse to take part in these customs, their families or village communities may criticize them, insult them, or refuse to have anything to do with them. But Christians know that the dead are not alive somewhere else. It’s impossible to communicate with them, and they cannot harm us. ( Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ) 
      Be very careful. Never try to communicate with the dead or the demons and never get involved in demonic customs.—Read Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. .
      What have many people who once lived in fear of the demons been able to do?
      The demons not only trick people but also frighten them. Today, Satan and his demons know that they have only “a short period of time” before God removes them from the earth, so they are more violent and aggressive than ever. ( Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. ) 
      However, thousands of people who once lived in fear of the demons don’t fear them anymore. How did they break free from their fear of the demons?
      HOW TO RESIST SATAN AND THE DEMONS
      Get rid of everything that has to do with magic, the demons, or the supernatural Study the Bible ask for help at jw.org free Pray to Jehovah God Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.

• By James Thomas Rook Jr.
      Does a persons dreams have any meaning?
      Some people dream ... some people don't.    Do dreams have any real world significance?
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      For instance:
      A demon looking for redemption for feeling bad for supporting Satan in the past. Might he use his powers now to help someone as angels do to help God servants?
    • By Witness
      “Nourishing Spiritual Food”? 
      I cannot advocate the website listed at the end of this short video, as I haven’t gone there.  Also I do not see verification that the money from the sale of houses, properties and goods was given to the Watchtower at that time period.  But I will not dismiss the large possibility.  What is important about this video, is hearing how 1975 was truly proclaimed from the source; quite contrary to how the 2017 convention presented it: 
      “…you see, back then, some were looking to a certain date as signifying the end of this old system of things. A few, even went so far as selling their homes and quitting their jobs. (km 5/1974)"
      “But the prophet who speaks a word presumptuously in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.” 
       You may say in your heart, “How shall we know the word which Yahweh has not spoken?”  When a prophet speaks in Yahweh’s name, if the thing doesn’t follow, nor happen, that is the thing which Yahweh has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You shall not be afraid of him.              Deut 18:20-22
      “This is what the LORD of Hosts says: "Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you. They are making you worthless. They speak visions from their own minds, not from the LORD's mouth.”  Jer 23:16
      “Behold, I am against the prophets, says Yahweh, who use their tongues, and say, He says. 32 Behold, I am against those who prophesy lying dreams, says Yahweh, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their vain boasting: yet I didn’t send them, nor commanded them; neither do they profit this people at all, says Yahweh.”  Jer 23:31-32
      If we claim to read God's Word and live by it, then God's Word should help us distinguish truth from lies.  Matt 3:10

• By TrueTomHarley
      I never could get my head around our previous take on the Babylonian exile. Or care. I mean, a one-year period representing such an event?
      But the new package revealed Sunday makes so much more sense.
      'That new point the Governing Body wrote about?' said Mike Tussen's years ago. 'You may have already noticed that point in your studying. And if this were Christendom, you'd run out and start your own religion over it.'
      The uppity people take no interest in that new religion of Jesus because it is carpenters, fishermen and shoemakers. But then they figure out how to monetize it. All the highbrow people jump in, bringing all the highbrow ideas they love so, ideas from Aristotle and Plato.
      photo: Carla216

Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.    30% free preview. After that, we'll talk, your people and mine.
    • By The Librarian
      In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a thing was revealed unto Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar; and the thing was true, but the time appointed was long: and he understood the thing, and had understanding of the vision.
      2 In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.
      3 I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.
      4 And in the four and twentieth day of the first month, as I was by the side of the great river, which is Hiddekel;
      5 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz:
      6 His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.
      7 And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves.
      8 Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength.
      9 Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground.
      10 And, behold, an hand touched me, which set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands.
      11 And he said unto me, O Daniel, a man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak unto thee, and stand upright: for unto thee am I now sent. And when he had spoken this word unto me, I stood trembling.
      12 Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.
      13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.
      14 Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days.
      15 And when he had spoken such words unto me, I set my face toward the ground, and I became dumb.
      16 And, behold, one like the similitude of the sons of men touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned upon me, and I have retained no strength.
      17 For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.
      18 Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me,
      19 And said, O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me.
      20 Then said he, Knowest thou wherefore I come unto thee? and now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, lo, the prince of Grecia shall come.
      21 But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Humberto Signorelli
    Newest Member
    Humberto Signorelli

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.