The World News Media

HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED... WHY DO JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES CALL THEIR MEETING PLACE A KINGDOM HALL RATHER THAN A CHURCH? ?⛪️?

Bible Speaks

• Views 6.7k
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED...  WHY DO JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES  CALL THEIR MEETING PLACE A KINGDOM HALL RATHER THAN A CHURCH?  The bible answers....  In the Bible, the Greek term that is sometimes

WOW! When the people who know die out, the only thing left will be the Snowflake puff pieces, with no one to contradict them. People will forget that Caleb and Sophia were once only cartoons

I don't have a better answer, but I can give a longer one.  I've haven't heard what you heard, although it's quite possibly a truer version, of course. Looking at all the probabilities from my perspec

Posted Images

Haha you guys are all funny ? Find the “right” Kingdom Hall and you won’t be disappointed! I find one and when I travel I check it out first! Keep on the “right” road my Friends. Perhaps soon we may not be able to meet there but underground. Rejoice cause we’ve been counted worthy of bearing His Name!

???????

8 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

I betcha Bible Speaks regrets having opened THIS Pandora's Box.

@James Thomas Rook Jr.

You caught me away! I know you might go to the Kingdom Hall when signs of Armageddon comes? Perhaps the name will change by then? Perhaps it will “the secret place of the Most High?”

Get on board my Friend it’s coming don’t see you?

???

2 hours ago, Bible Speaks said:

I know you might go to the Kingdom Hall when signs of Armageddon comes?

The same chapter of the Kingdom book that spoke of the first use of 'Kingdom Hall' also spoke of the first time Witnesses met in their own building. A church group had been divided because half followed Russell's teachings and half did not. There were two groups but only one building, and for a time (this was in the 1880's) whoever got to the building first used it for services.

I realized that our salvation lay in this account. The tyrannical and mean organization regularly abuses their authority by reminding Witnesses to get to meetings on time, even a little early for the sake of visiting.  I realized the answer to the problem was to share our Hall with the Mormons or Catholics or Rastafarians. Then our people will get there early to prevent the others from using it.

might it be, though, someone asked, that only one person would arrive early, and not the whole congregation? Not a problem. In that case, he or she can save seats. We're good at that, too.

8 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Luckily Fortunately for everyone here, I will elucidate.

Hah! I noticed this little blast from the past (and present for many of us, too). Hard to believe that so many of us fell for this little mix-up between which word was the better one to use and which was not so good. Turns out that "LUCK" was more than likely just a term for success or loss that came into English from middle German where a lot of gaming and gambling terms came from in the 1500s. So we all replaced it with a word based on FORTUNE, which had been personified as a false Roman goddess during Bible times. Even when it came into English the earliest known instance is in the phrase "Dame Fortune."

Even in the Bible, the word translated "fortune" was associated with bad things:

• (Leviticus 20:27) 27 “‘Any man or woman who acts as a spirit medium or is a fortune-teller should be put to death without fail. . . .

of course, it was based on the translation of

• (Isaiah 65:11) 11 “But YOU men are those leaving Jehovah, those forgetting my holy mountain, those setting in order a table for the god of Good Luck. . .

But the foot-note for that verse says

*** Rbi8 Isaiah 65:11 ***

• “For the god of Good Luck.” Heb., lag·gadhʹ; LXX, “the demon”; Lat., For·tuʹnae. Compare Ge 30:11 ftns.

Of course if you follow the footnotes for Genesis 30:11 you see that the same word for "Luck" here is translated "Fortune" in Genesis:

• (Genesis 30:10, 11) . . .. 11 Then Leʹah said: “With good fortune!” So she called his name Gad.

The name of the tribe was "Luck" just as "laggadh' basically means "to Luck" if the footnote for Isaiah 65:11 is correct. Or Isaiah was referring to the god of Fortune, if the footnote to Genesis 30:11 is correct.

It was about as silly as saying that we shouldn't say something was "destined" to occur, because this somehow invokes the god of Destiny.

• (Luke 9:44) . . .for the Son of man is destined to be delivered into the hands of men.”
  • (Mark 13:4) 4 “Tell us, When will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are destined to come to a conclusion?”

(Isaiah 65:11) . . .And those filling up cups of mixed wine for the god of Destiny.

1 hour ago, JW Insider said:

Turns out that "LUCK" was more than likely just a term for success or loss that came into English from middle German where a lot of gaming and gambling terms came from in the 1500s. So we all replaced it with a word based on FORTUNE

Actually, I only crossed it out because I wasn't sure I had spelled it correctly.

15 hours ago, JW Insider said:

Hah! I noticed this little blast from the past (and present for many of us, too). Hard to believe that so many of us fell for this little mix-up between which word was the better one to use and which was not so good. Turns out that "LUCK" was more than likely just a term for success or loss that came into English from middle German where a lot of gaming and gambling terms came from in the 1500s. So we all replaced it with a word based on FORTUNE, which had been personified as a false Roman goddess during Bible times. Even when it came into English the earliest known instance is in the phrase "Dame Fortune."

Even in the Bible, the word translated "fortune" was associated with bad things:

• (Leviticus 20:27) 27 “‘Any man or woman who acts as a spirit medium or is a fortune-teller should be put to death without fail. . . .

of course, it was based on the translation of

• (Isaiah 65:11) 11 “But YOU men are those leaving Jehovah, those forgetting my holy mountain, those setting in order a table for the god of Good Luck. . .

But the foot-note for that verse says

*** Rbi8 Isaiah 65:11 ***

• “For the god of Good Luck.” Heb., lag·gadhʹ; LXX, “the demon”; Lat., For·tuʹnae. Compare Ge 30:11 ftns.

Of course if you follow the footnotes for Genesis 30:11 you see that the same word for "Luck" here is translated "Fortune" in Genesis:

• (Genesis 30:10, 11) . . .. 11 Then Leʹah said: “With good fortune!” So she called his name Gad.

The name of the tribe was "Luck" just as "laggadh' basically means "to Luck" if the footnote for Isaiah 65:11 is correct. Or Isaiah was referring to the god of Fortune, if the footnote to Genesis 30:11 is correct.

It was about as silly as saying that we shouldn't say something was "destined" to occur, because this somehow invokes the god of Destiny.

• (Luke 9:44) . . .for the Son of man is destined to be delivered into the hands of men.”
  • (Mark 13:4) 4 “Tell us, When will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are destined to come to a conclusion?”

(Isaiah 65:11) . . .And those filling up cups of mixed wine for the god of Destiny.

@JW Insider

Oh yes! I have FORTUNATELY (FORTUNE) ? met you. Keep up the Good Works Brother.

The only destiny I know is Jehovah God and the New World ? and maybe a new husband in view! I’ll take it all! I’m not greedy? 

????????

15 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

The same chapter of the Kingdom book that spoke of the first use of 'Kingdom Hall' also spoke of the first time Witnesses met in their own building. A church group had been divided because half followed Russell's teachings and half did not. There were two groups but only one building, and for a time (this was in the 1880's) whoever got to the building first used it for services.

I realized that our salvation lay in this account. The tyrannical and mean organization regularly abuses their authority by reminding Witnesses to get to meetings on time, even a little early for the sake of visiting.  I realized the answer to the problem was to share our Hall with the Mormons or Catholics or Rastafarians. Then our people will get there early to prevent the others from using it.

might it be, though, someone asked, that only one person would arrive early, and not the whole congregation? Not a problem. In that case, he or she can save seats. We're good at that, too.

@TrueTomHarley

I’m always a half hour early. Be early or miss the road when Armageddon comes I say. If we want to be there for others, be there early. Habitual late people distract those in attention. Perhaps they need a new clock ? or a nice call in the morning to help them put the first leg in front of the other? Or perhaps earlier to Bed would help many? I’ll save you a seat ? your worth it Brother! 

17 minutes ago, Bible Speaks said:

Oh yes! I have FORTUNATELY (FORTUNE) ? met you. Keep up the Good Works Brother.

It has been my good fortune to ... ah, no. Fortune......Luckily I ....no, strike that. Luck It is my good destiny to .....um, no..strike again. Destiny. What a wonderful quirk of fate that ....uh oh ...Fate    

Ah, forget it! :)

22 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

It has been my good fortune to ... ah, no. Fortune......Luckily I ....no, strike that. Luck It is my good destiny to .....um, no..strike again. Destiny. What a wonderful quirk of fate that ....uh oh ...Fate    

Why don't you just make it simple and say "Unforseen circumstantially....." or something?

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.