The World News Media

Witness

“Nourishing Spiritual Food”? 

I cannot advocate the website listed at the end of this short video, as I haven’t gone there.  Also I do not see verification that the money from the sale of houses, properties and goods was given to the Watchtower at that time period.  But I will not dismiss the large possibility.  What is important about this video, is hearing how 1975 was truly proclaimed from the source; quite contrary to how the 2017 convention presented it: 

“…you see, back then, some were looking to a certain date as signifying the end of this old system of things. A few, even went so far as selling their homes and quitting their jobs. (km 5/1974)"

“But the prophet who speaks a word presumptuously in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.” 

You may say in your heart, “How shall we know the word which Yahweh has not spoken?”  When a prophet speaks in Yahweh’s name, if the thing doesn’t follow, nor happen, that is the thing which Yahweh has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You shall not be afraid of him.              Deut 18:20-22

“This is what the LORD of Hosts says: "Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you. They are making you worthless. They speak visions from their own minds, not from the LORD's mouth.”  Jer 23:16

“Behold, I am against the prophets, says Yahweh, who use their tongues, and say, He says. 32 Behold, I am against those who prophesy lying dreams, says Yahweh, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their vain boasting: yet I didn’t send them, nor commanded them; neither do they profit this people at all, says Yahweh.”  Jer 23:31-32

If we claim to read God's Word and live by it, then God's Word should help us distinguish truth from lies.  Matt 3:10

• 3 weeks later...

• Views 7.1k
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“Nourishing Spiritual Food”?  I cannot advocate the website listed at the end of this short video, as I havenÂ’t gone there.  Also I do not see verification that the money from the sale of h

The idea that 1975 would witness the end of the world was first introduced in 1966. IT'S AMAZING HOW YOU CAN TAKE THE WORDS "6,000 YEARS OF MANS EXISTENCE WILL END" AND MAKING IT END IN

Did the vast majority of JWs come to the conclusion that 1975 was the date of Armageddon – on their own?  How did these people come to the realization of the world ending, unless they were convi

Posted Images

On 10/25/2017 at 4:49 AM, Witness said:

some were looking to a certain date as signifying the end of this old system of things.

Some were. I was there in 1975 and I was not looking to a date. That was because some were not. So I can't see an issue of any significance any more than expectation postponed makes the heart sick. Were you there? Did you attach too much to human chronological speculation at the time?

On 10/24/2017 at 11:49 PM, Witness said:

I cannot advocate the website listed at the end of this short video, as I haven’t gone there. 

Usually before I spotlight a video for proof of my point, I go there to see that it really does that.

On 10/24/2017 at 11:49 PM, Witness said:

What is important about this video, is hearing how 1975 was truly proclaimed from the source;

Should you not add: "It is so important that I didn't go there?"

The idea that 1975 would witness the end of the world was first introduced in 1966.

"The published timetable resulting from this independent study gives the date of man's creation as 4026 B.C.E. According to this trustworthy Bible chronology six thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975 C.E. So six thousand years of man's existence on earth will soon be up, yes, within this generation. So in not many years within our own generation we are reaching what Jehovah God could view as the seventh day of man's existence. How appropriate it would be for Jehovah God to make of this coming seventh period of a thousand years a sabbath period of rest and release, a great Jubilee sabbath for the proclaiming of liberty throughout the earth to all its inhabitants! This would be most timely for mankind. It would also be most fitting on God's part, for, remember, mankind has yet ahead of it what the last book of the Holy Bible speaks of as the reign of Jesus Christ over earth for a thousand years, the millennial reign of Christ. It would not be by mere chance or accident but would be according to the loving purpose of Jehovah God for the reign of Jesus Christ, the 'Lord of the Sabbath,' to run parallel with the seventh millennium of man's existence." Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God 1966 pp.26-30
"Does God's rest day parallel the time man has been on earth since his creation? Apparently so. In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of Gods rest day come to an end? The year 1975. It means that within a relatively few years we will witness the fulfilment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the "time of the end"." Awake! 1966 Oct 8 pp.19-20
"It did not take the brothers very long to find the chart beginning on page 31, showing that 6,000 years of man's existence end in 1975. Discussion of 1975 overshadowed about everything else. "The new book compels us to realize that Armageddon is, in fact, very close indeed," said a conventioner. Surely it was one of the outstanding blessings to be carried home!" .. Brother Franz. 'Does it mean that Armageddon is going to be finished, with Satan bound, by 1975? It could! It could! All things are possible with God. Does it mean that Babylon the Great is going to go down by 1975? It could. Does it mean that the attack of Gog of Magog is going to be made on Jehovah's witnesses to wipe them out, then Gog himself will be put out of action? It could. But we are not saying. All things are possible with God. But we are not saying. And don't any of you be specific in saying anything that is going to happen between now and 1975. But the big point of it all is this, dear friends: Time is short. Time is running out, no question about that." Watchtower 1966 Oct 15 pp.629,631

IT'S AMAZING HOW YOU CAN TAKE THE WORDS "6,000 YEARS OF MANS EXISTENCE WILL END" AND MAKING IT END IN 1975 AND CONCLUDE THAT IT REALLY DIDN'T SAY THAT AT ALL.

49 minutes ago, Matthew9969 said:

All things are possible with God

Are you saying they are not?

But we are not saying.

Didn't you just say that they did?

And don't any of you be specific in saying anything that is going to happen between now and 1975.

Didn't you just say Witnesses spoke of nothing else?

50 minutes ago, Matthew9969 said:

But the big point of it all is this, dear friends: Time is short. Time is running out

Do you think it is not?

5 hours ago, Gone Fishing said:

some were. I was there in 1975 and I was not looking to a date. That was because some were not. So I can't see an issue of any significance any more than expectation postponed makes the heart sick. Were you there? Did you attach too much to human chronological speculation at the time?

Did the vast majority of JWs come to the conclusion that 1975 was the date of Armageddon – on their own? 

How did these people come to the realization of the world ending, unless they were convinced that the leaders in control understood Bible chronology?   Consider global warming; whether you believe it or not, you are relying on the scientific experts to tell you what’s happening with the planet; but in this case it doesn’t affect your relationship with family and friends if you choose one side or the other.

Surely you see the confusion by individuals reading the various articles and references to the date, as well as hearing live talks -  all coming from “Jehovah’s organization” and his “mouthpiece”.   

There was a 14% growth in member in 1974.  Why?   I am sure you know why.

By 1976 the growth rate dropped to 4%. 

In 1977, it dropped further, -1%

“Expectation postponed” made their hearts so sick, that many realized the Watchtower was not an organization run by God. 

How do you dismiss scripture, Eoin?  How do you read God’s word that condemns false prophets and ignore it?  Was there ever an instance that God told the nation of Israel to tolerate it?  Think of the generations of JWs that have put up with false dates and changing doctrine; hanging on because the authority over them so thoroughly convinced them it was “Jehovah’s will”, that they remain faithful to the organization!

“And the Lord said to me, “The prophets prophesy lies in My name. I have not sent them, commanded them, nor spoken to them; they prophesy to you a false vision, divination, a worthless thing, and the deceit of their heart. 15 Therefore thus says the Lord concerning the prophets who prophesy in My name, whom I did not send, and who say, ‘Sword and famine shall not be in this land’—‘By sword and famine those prophets shall be consumed! 16 And the people to whom they prophesy shall be cast out in the streets of Jerusalem because of the famine and the sword; they will have no one to bury them—them nor their wives, their sons nor their daughters—for I will pour their wickedness on them.’”  Jer 14:14-16

Isn’t this exactly what the organization teaches, that no sword or famine will come upon the Watchtower?  If we take all of this with a grain of salt, then we are blind to God’s righteous expectations to follow his Word closely.  Ezek 14:21; Rev chapter 6

It appears you are attempting to defend a sinking ship.  I truly pray you get off before its too late.

14 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Are you saying they are not?

Didn't you just say that they did?

Didn't you just say Witnesses spoke of nothing else?

Do you think it is not?

All that you are pointing out were quotes from the organization.  But you know that, right?  Matthew's words are:

IT'S AMAZING HOW YOU CAN TAKE THE WORDS "6,000 YEARS OF MANS EXISTENCE WILL END" AND MAKING IT END IN 1975 AND CONCLUDE THAT IT REALLY DIDN'T SAY THAT AT ALL.

3 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Usually before I spotlight a video for proof of my point, I go there to see that it really does that.

Should you not add: "It is so important that I didn't go there?"

What about the "nourishing spiritual food" of 1975?  Do you have a comment, or do you prefer to avoid the topic at hand?

5 hours ago, Gone Fishing said:

Some were. I was there in 1975 and I was not looking to a date. That was because some were not. So I can't see an issue of any significance any more than expectation postponed makes the heart sick. Were you there? Did you attach too much to human chronological speculation at the time?

I watched the video, and to be honest, if you were one of those people attending the convention where the second speaker was giving the address, you would be hard pressed not to get excited, and NOT look to the date 1975..

Of course, the friends who attended that convention were just some, out of the rest of the brotherhood and not all who attended the convention would have been convinced, just like not all are convinced about some ideas today (the overlapping generation :)).

I am wondering if after this series of talks, the Slave realised they had taken it a bit too far. There must have been discussions by brothers who pointed out the scrioture which makes it clear the Bible gives no date (like the brother in the video of the last convention) so then when the idea reached the UK it was perhaps already more watered down..

My step dad sold his skis because he thought he wouldn't use them again, he was living in central Europe, but my mother living in the uk at the time doesn't even recall anything special going on, and neither do I. But I was only very young...

7 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

I think he/she means that they didn't check the source of the video, but did listen to it. It is quite believable that the recordings are genuine, however the narrative interjection is obviously from an apostate.

46 minutes ago, Nana Fofana said:

6000 years of man's existence did end in 1975.

31 minutes ago, Nana Fofana said:

ACCORDING to the Jewish calendar, Thursday, September 16, 1993, was the festival day of Rosh Hashanah. By tradition the shofar, or ram’s-horn trumpet, was then sounded to proclaim the incoming of the new year. That year is 5754 (Jewish calendar), and it runs from September 16, 1993, to September 5, 1994.

Nana,  how does this defend a false prophesy, or perhaps that isn’t your purpose?  Dan 7:25; Matt 24:36; Matt 16:1-4  I think @Matthew9969 is pointing out that 1975 was preached to be the end of mankind as we know it - Armageddon.