Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

The Librarian -
sami -

Top Posters

3 hours ago, sami said:

Neither tree had any special powers of themselves. The trees represented God's Sovereign right to rule and determine what is good and what is bad. Adam and Eve were his children, they were not gods.

Sometimes in service I speak of actual children to get the point across. In many ways, a parent decides what is 'good and bad' for their child. It is good to brush your teeth. It is bad to run with scizzors. But if a child were to ignore all parental authority, couldn't it be said that he is now setting his own standards of what is good and bad?

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Sometimes in service I speak of actual children to get the point across. In many ways, a parent decides what is 'good and bad' for their child. It is good to brush your teeth. It is bad to run with scizzors. But if a child were to ignore all parental authority, couldn't it be said that he is now setting his own standards of what is good and bad?

Absolutely! 

• Similar Content

• By The Librarian
      The Holy Bible > The King James Bible > Genesis > Exodus
      <---- Genesis 2          Genesis 4 --->

Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LordGod had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
      2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
      3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
      4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
      5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
      6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
      7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
      8 And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden.
      9 And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
      10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
      11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
      12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
      13 And the Lord God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.
      14 And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
      15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
      16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
      17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
      18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
      19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
      20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
      21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
      22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
      23 Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
      24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
      Hebrew Interlinear
    • By The Librarian
      The Holy Bible > The King James Bible > Genesis > Exodus
      <---- Genesis 1          Genesis 3 --->

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
      2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
      3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
      4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens,
      5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
      6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
      7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
      8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
      9 And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
      10 And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads.
      11 The name of the first is Pison: that is it which compasseth the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold;
      12 And the gold of that land is good: there is bdellium and the onyx stone.
      13 And the name of the second river is Gihon: the same is it that compasseth the whole land of Ethiopia.
      14 And the name of the third river is Hiddekel: that is it which goeth toward the east of Assyria. And the fourth river is Euphrates.
      15 And the Lord God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
      16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
      17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
      18 And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
      19 And out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
      20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.
      21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
      22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
      23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
      24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
      25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
      Hebrew Interlinear

• By Jack Ryan
      Genesis:
      15  Jehovah God took the man and settled him in the garden of Eʹden to cultivate it and to take care of it.n 16  Jehovah God also gave this command to the man: “From every tree of the garden you may eat to satisfaction.o 17  But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will certainly die.”
      The teachings tell us that Adam and Eve eating from the tree of knowledge is what unleashed evil all over the world.
      Evil such as war, child sexual abuse, genocide, and all kinds of horrors.
      But if God made the tree, then he created the bad that went into it as well, no?
      Update:
      New World Translation:
      Isaiah 45:7
      7 I form light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity; I, Jehovah, am doing all these things.
      King James Version
      7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.
      American Standard Version
      7 I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.
    • By Jack Ryan
      Counties once at war with one another can forgive and move on. Even horrible murderers who killed the family members of someone can be forgiven for the act that they did.
      But God, no no no. No such thing can happen. It's absolutely pathetic really that we followed and accepted the story that a piece of fruit was taken and eaten. Nobody killed. If our worst nightmares come true and this in fact did happen hahaha.
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Reina Valera 
      Capítulo 2/ Capítulo 3/ Capítulo 4
      3 EMPERO la serpiente era astuta, más que todos los animales del campo que Jehová Dios había hecho; la cual dijo á la mujer: ¿Conque Dios os ha dicho: No comáis de todo árbol del huerto?
      2 Y la mujer respondió á la serpiente: Del fruto de los árboles del huerto comemos;
      3 Mas del fruto del árbol que está en medio del huerto dijo Dios: No comeréis de él, ni le tocaréis, porque no muráis.
      4 Entonces la serpiente dijo á la mujer: No moriréis;
      5 Mas sabe Dios que el día que comiereis de él, serán abiertos vuestros ojos, y seréis como dioses sabiendo el bien y el mal.
      6 Y vió la mujer que el árbol era bueno para comer, y que era agradable á los ojos, y árbol codiciable para alcanzar la sabiduría; y tomó de su fruto, y comió; y dió también á su marido, el cual comió así como ella.
      7 Y fueron abiertos los ojos de entrambos, y conocieron que estaban desnudos: entonces cosieron hojas de higuera, y se hicieron delantales.
      8 Y oyeron la voz de Jehová Dios que se paseaba en el huerto al aire del día: y escondióse el hombre y su mujer de la presencia de Jehová Dios entre los árboles del huerto.
      9 Y llamó Jehová Dios al hombre, y le dijo: ¿Dónde estás tú?
      10 Y él respondió: Oí tu voz en el huerto, y tuve miedo, porque estaba desnudo; y escondíme.
      11 Y díjole: ¿Quién te enseñó que estabas desnudo? ¿Has comido del árbol de que yo te mandé no comieses?
      12 Y el hombre respondió: La mujer que me diste por compañera me dió del árbol, y yo comí.
      13 Entonces Jehová Dios dijo á la mujer: ¿Qué es lo que has hecho? Y dijo la mujer: La serpiente me engañó, y comí.
      14 Y Jehová Dios dijo á la serpiente: Por cuanto esto hiciste, maldita serás entre todas las bestias y entre todos los animales del campo; sobre tu pecho andarás, y polvo comerás todos los días de tu vida:
      15 Y enemistad pondré entre ti y la mujer, y entre tu simiente y la simiente suya; ésta te herirá en la cabeza, y tú le herirás en el calcañar.
      16 A la mujer dijo: Multiplicaré en gran manera tus dolores y tus preñeces; con dolor parirás los hijos; y á tu marido será tu deseo, y él se enseñoreará de ti.
      17 Y al hombre dijo: Por cuanto obedeciste á la voz de tu mujer, y comiste del árbol de que te mandé diciendo, No comerás de él; maldita será la tierra por amor de ti; con dolor comerás de ella todos los días de tu vida;
      18 Espinos y cardos te producirá, y comerás hierba del campo;
      19 En el sudor de tu rostro comerás el pan hasta que vuelvas á la tierra; porque de ella fuiste tomado: pues polvo eres, y al polvo serás tornado.
      20 Y llamó el hombre el nombre de su mujer, Eva; por cuanto ella era madre de todos lo vivientes.
      21 Y Jehová Dios hizo al hombre y á su mujer túnicas de pieles, y vistiólos.
      22 Y dijo Jehová Dios: He aquí el hombre es como uno de Nos sabiendo el bien y el mal: ahora, pues, porque no alargue su mano, y tome también del árbol de la vida, y coma, y viva para siempre:
      23 Y sacólo Jehová del huerto de Edén, para que labrase la tierra de que fué tomado.
      24 Echó, pues, fuera al hombre, y puso al oriente del huerto de Edén querubines, y una espada encendida que se revolvía á todos lados, para guardar el camino del árbol de la vida.

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Rosjes128
    Newest Member
    Rosjes128

• Topics

• Agreed.  What they want is a government which will outlaw the bible and Jesus (I think of Matt 24 where it indicates that those having faith in jesus' randsom sacrifice will be persecuted). California recently tabled a law which would have basically outlawed the bible - but it did not pass...... but how long before it does?  We cannot be deceived to take sides because some political party is 'perceived'  as loving God a little more than the other side and fights infantacide...... when they are in fact - the beast.  The racial hatred and injustice in USA has tripled in the past few years because of official statements made,  perceptions created and the outrageous reaction of the opposing press......it is like a cold civil war going on. On the other side of the beast is the secular, humanist, feminist, LGBTQ, materialist goals and this side has a stated hate for the God of the bible and its white supremacist leaders... (again a generalization:  but its members belong to a party who loves Islam and shuns the bible's values - even if they go to church.)  For us as JWs - there is no choice between the two...... because both are playing their part to lead us to Armageddon..... the one a little faster than the other. Human government sucks and it gets clearer and clearer every day.  We should keep focussed on Jehovahs government.... watch just enough news to know where things are going..... and keep focussed on preaching and building each other up.
    • There are dozens. When I mentioned going back 300 years I was thinking that a lot of people start with Matthew Henry's from the 1700's. https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/mhc/Dan/Dan_004.cfm?a=854001 But there are many more modern ones these days that might appear too long, but that's partly because they also reprint the entire Bible text, split up into sections. https://wernerbiblecommentary.org/?q=node/732 https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/jfb/Dan/Dan_004.cfm?a=854001 https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/smith_chuck/c2000_Dan/Dan_001.cfm?a=854001 The Chapter 4 portion of this one, above, includes the following supposition: The seven times are probably a year and three quarters. Referring to the summer, fall, winter, spring, rather than seven years. And so for a year and three quarters, king Nebuchadnezzar was to be insane. He was to live with the ox and out in the field. He was to eat grass like a wild animal. This was to continue until he realize that the God in heaven is the One who rules over the earth as far as establishing kingdoms and setting in power those whom He will. God still rules in the overall sense. And sometimes God puts evil men into power in order to bring judgment upon the people. But God rules over all. So after Daniel interprets, he said, "Now look, king, straighten up, man. Live right. You know, it may be that you can increase the days of your peace because you know this is going to come on you. But maybe by living right you can forestall it a bit." [Others have guessed 7 "time periods" were 7 months. But the point is, that we don't know for sure] https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/guzik_david/StudyGuide2017-Dan/Dan-4.cfm?a=854001 That one, above, includes the idea that if there is any further prophetic significance to the dream, that it could mean this: Some find prophetic significance in this account. Since Babylon is used in the Scriptures as a figure of the world system in general, we can say: · Nebuchadnezzar’s madness foreshadows the madness of Gentile nations in their rejection of God. · Nebuchadnezzar’s fall typifies Jesus’ judgment of the nations. · Nebuchadnezzar’s restoration foreshadows the restoring of some of these nations in the millennial kingdom.  
    • This is so typical.....loved this experience !  People are people, and their ideas on neutrality are not the same - even after the lessons have been repeated over and over  in the watchtower.  Keeping neutral .... but not understanding what true neutrality is.   Neutrality does not mean you are not supposed to know what is happening around you or that someone has to be silenced when they mention something ... But I reckon.... this is where true humility comes into play and for the sake of peace,  refrain from having  your say.  It can also come back to bite you. There is a time to keep silent. Neutrality is making a choice every time an issue comes up.  Granted, it us hard not to take sides when you have an idea about who is lying in a particular situation....!  But deceit and lying is all part of the political game. These politicians gave up something to be where they are.  Truth and sincerity are replaced by ambition and lies and many hidden deals.  I am astounded at the open nepotism tolerated everywhere in Washington- on both sides of the isle! People have truly lost their moral compass!   And the staggering amounts of money to be made ....... poor politicians become multi-millionaires pretty quickly .... and so do their children make tons of money and extend their influence in other countries!   These days, no politician  can fight a clean fight and expect to win..... too much spying,  false leaks in the news, misinformation and outright acrimony.  I do watch world news and events to see fulfillment of bible prophecy.  No matter who wins the next election - USA is on a downward spiral and the spectators will be agast when they realise the plane is totally out of control.  The speed of the decent depends on who is next elected....... the speed of the decent may be fast or slow.  The self-deceit of the public is amazing and helped by the press who mostly tell the public what they want to hear.   America will still exist when the end comes but it will have handed over it power willingly to the eighth king....... So, if a certain party - which is very willing to hand over its autonomy, wins - then I will gauge that the decent will be faster than i anticipated......  The "clay and iron" has reached a point of  irreconcileability......and this same scenario is playing out in Europe, Australia, Canada etc.  (Bible so accurate in its predictions) . In the meantime Russia, China and all their allies are extending their economic influence and territories. It is really now just a matter of time then things will truly become ugly and we will know that we have arrived at the time we were waiting for!  We will see jehovah in action! 
    • That's already been done. Just read nearly any Bible commentary on Daniel 4 written during the last 300 years or so.
    • Yes That immediately crossed my mind too! And also when talking about the pyramids, he quoted Rutherford who said "Jehovah doesn't need a stone monument built by pagans to accomplish his purpose" it made me think why would he use pagan Nebuchadnezzar to illustrate Christ's rulership?
    • Do you mean go first to explain 1914 as a true possibility in a simpler way? Or do you mean go first to explain Daniel 4 in a simpler way (with or without 1914)? The funny thing is that Brother Splane without realizing it, I think, already gave a very appropriate analogy for what's wrong with the 1914 doctrine when he decided to point out some particularly ridiculous "typologies" that did things like try to make something out of the number of fish caught by the disciples after Jesus was resurrected, namely, 153. Then he went on to show the ridiculousness of trying to read too much into the story of Jacob and Esau and the bowl of stew. Brother Splane said: One scholar made much of Jacob’s purchase of Esau’s birthright with a bowl of red stew. Very significant that the stew was red. To him, the red stew pictured the red blood of Christ. The inheritance pictured the heavenly inheritance. It’s all… By that reasoning, Jacob pictures Jesus, Esau’s birthright pictures the heavenly inheritance, and the red stew pictures Jesus’ precious blood. Now on the surface that might sound plausible to some, until you think about it. When you think about it you see three problems. First of all, Jehovah didn’t design the type. Jehovah did not tell Esau to sell his birthright. Selling his birthright was wrong, and Jehovah never tells us to do something that’s wrong. Second, who ate the stew? Esau did. So are we to conclude that, by giving up his inheritance, Esau put himself in line for the ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ? That doesn’t make any sense. And most importantly, nowhere in Scripture do we read that the event was a type. The temptation to go for chronological numerology over 153 fish should remind us of how we take 7 times and turn them into 7x360 to get the number of Jewish prophetic days using a 360 day year, and then turning each of those 2,520 days into solar years of 365.25 days apiece so that we can get 2,520 solar years, to reach from the fall of Jerusalem down to modern times. And then we must readjust the archaeological dates by about 20 years to make them reach 1914 instead of 1934.  But the biggest problem is the same as the sentences about Esau above, which we can correlate with a similar problem with Nebuchadnezzar: Second, who ate the stew? Esau did. So are we to conclude that, by giving up his inheritance, Esau put himself in line for the ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ? That doesn’t make any sense. And most importantly, nowhere in Scripture do we read that the event was a type. Now we can have the same situation regarding Nebuchadnezzar in Splane English Second, who was forced to lose his kingdom and then became insane? Nebuchadnezzar did. So are we to conclude that, by giving up his kingdom and acting insane for a time, that Nebuchadnezzar put himself in line to represent the Messianic kingdom of Jesus Christ? That doesn't make any sense. And most importantly, nowhere in Scripture do we read that this event was a type.
  • Popular Now