The World News Media

What will people do once technology takes all the "jobs"?

As computers get more creative and AI begins to create better AI......

Once it becomes cheaper to use robotics than human labor.....

What will people do?

I remember making a post called Humans Need Not Apply that compared us to horses 120 years ago. 

Maybe, in an attempt to be optimistic, governments will tax automation and provide a universal basic income for everyone? Then we will all spend our time learning piano or art in liberal arts degree universities with recorded lectures over YouTube.

• Views 1.3k
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Artificial Intelligence has been touted since IBM came out with the PC Jr., with the chicklet keyboard, which they crushed and buried in landfills by the millions.  How many people here remember

AI are running right now. The next few generations will be interesting though. One difference between them and us is that they can be dedicated to one task. Whereas humans must coordinate many tasks c

@Cheepcheep I recently read a little about some AI being used to create better AI. That gave me a few goosebumps.

AI are running right now. The next few generations will be interesting though. One difference between them and us is that they can be dedicated to one task. Whereas humans must coordinate many tasks consciously and unconsciously, which divides resources. I saw one documentary of an AI whose sole purpose was to "think" of all the possible configurations of a specific set of components and to come up with solutions that were cost effective and incredibly efficient. They think of everything we can conceive of and everything beyond that. Then they disregard everything not humanly possible at the current time. But they literally think up billions of possibilities in a short amount of time. Given this, humans have probably already been outsmarted by this 1st gen tech because they would have already simulated every possible outcome for humans and machines. Scary stuff but a cool sci fi movie!

Hmmm AIs producing AIs that is a worry. Self improving systems will progress much faster than humans could, especially if dedicated to a specific set of improvements over previous generations. Facebooks one is designed to understand human behaviour. So many of their social experiments are designed to feed it the data they need.

@Cheepcheep And humans are much higher still when it comes to "storage", "retrieval" and overall teraflops of "computing" power..... but that gap is closing fast.

In the end a human receives optical input from the eyes and the brains "sees", interprets and records our surroundings. At some point we may create something that comes very close to a "neural network" that might fool the average person into questioning "consciousness".

Yes I agree. The fact that they now produced some with the ability to make others, would mean they could improve upon themselves. I saw that they can now store human memory onto a brain implant now for patients with disorders that affect their memories. It won't be long before that information will be cloud based. People storing their memories online when they sleep and downloading them the next day lol Then you have hackers...modders...malware lol etc One day we'll need our own Antivirus and Malware programs :)

Artificial Intelligence has been touted since IBM came out with the PC Jr., with the chicklet keyboard, which they crushed and buried in landfills by the millions. 

How many people here remember the BASIC program Eliza, which was a fairly good psychoanalysis program?

You will know when Artificial Intelligence is perfected.

It will be six months after they perfect Artificial Stupidity.

Next thing you know, robots will turn on humans. As if movies and games taught us anything, you anger the machines, they will retaliate. It all comes down to intelligence.

Elon Musk sure loves his A.I. So far A.I.s can get a success rate in doing surgical tasks, gaming, getting information, can destroy anyone in a game of chess, and more. In otherwords..... SKYNET!