• Views 507
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You may want to break this up into 7 individual questions  Such as "What was the 3rd world power?" maybe then you could take all seven questions and combine the links on one post. Just a thou

You may want to break this up into 7 individual questions :D

Such as "What was the 3rd world power?"

maybe then you could take all seven questions and combine the links on one post. Just a thought.

My "Librarian" side coming out again...

I'm sure when they get into the details of Persia versus Greece this could get very difficult to navigate.

I'll guess it was Egypt.

In Genesis 1, it was Jehovah, of course. (Then the first family when they were told to have in dominion all the animals and vegetation on earth.) Then in Genesis 6, it looked like the Nephilim and ilk might have constituted a world power just prior to the Flood. Then, in Genesis 11 it seemed to be starting from Nimrod in Shinar (Babel), but that was broken up in time.  (Just as the wickedness in Noah's day was broken up.) 

In Genesis 12:10 we have Abraham depending on the "world power" of Egypt to obtain food during a famine. So I think this is the first "world power" to be directly associated with Jehovah's people.

• (Genesis 12:10) 10 Now a famine arose in the land, and Aʹbram went down toward Egypt to reside there for a while, . . .

At the next famine, Jehovah promises survival independent of Egypt:

• (Genesis 26:1-3) 26 Now there was a famine in the land, in addition to the first famine that occurred in the days of Abraham, so that Isaac went to A·bimʹe·lech king of the Phi·lisʹtines, in Geʹrar. 2 Then Jehovah appeared to him and said: “Do not go down to Egypt. Dwell in the land that I designate to you. 3 Reside as a foreigner in this land, and I will continue with you and bless you because to you and to your offspring I will give all these lands,. . .

And, then, of course a later famine has Jehovah's people directly involved within the world power of Egypt:

• (Genesis 37:36) 36 Now the Midʹi·an·ites sold him in Egypt to Potʹi·phar, a court official of Pharʹaoh and the chief of the guard.
  • (Genesis 39:1, 2) . . .Now Joseph was taken down to Egypt, and an Egyptian named Potʹi·phar, a court official of Pharʹaoh and chief of the guard, bought him from the Ishʹma·el·ites who had taken him down there. 2 But Jehovah was with Joseph. As a result, he became successful and was put over the house of his master, the Egyptian.

• (Genesis 41:29-33) 29 “There are to be seven years of great abundance in all the land of Egypt. 30 But seven years of famine will certainly arise after them, and all the abundance in the land of Egypt will certainly be forgotten, and the famine will exhaust the land. 31 And the previous abundance in the land will not be remembered because of the famine afterward, for it will be very severe. 32 The dream was given twice to Pharʹaoh because the matter has been firmly established by the true God, and the true God will soon carry it out. 33 “So now let Pharʹaoh look for a man who is discreet and wise and place him over the land of Egypt.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.