The World News Media

Witness

Dr. Michael Langone, has done considerable research in the field of mind-manipulating movements. He's identified some key traits that cultish movements reveal themselves. Steve Hassan, a former cult member and one of the leading experts of cults has also contributed a lot to the field. Both of these men have helped in identifying the tell-tale signs of cult mentality.

What they say:

• "Cult members are “focused on a living leader to whom members seem to display excessively zealous, unquestioning commitment.” The leader is a strong-willed, domineering character who rules the group with tight control. He lets it be known in subtle ways that he is in charge of the movement. He makes the plans, he orchestrates the movements of the group or groups (sometimes he exercises his sway over several groups). He dispatches the workers, assigns their chores, etc."
  • "“Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged,” and there can be pressure or social punishment when there is disagreement with the “boss.” Those who disagree are made to feel as though they are stupid or inept. They are brainwashed with the notion that they do not have the knowledge or experience to question the leader. Younger people are particularly vulnerable to the leaderÂ’s gift of gab, and his feigned expertise. No matter how radical the leader becomes in his decisions or actions, the cult members will not criticize him. Even if there should be mild disagreement, no specific expressions are voiced. The members reason that though he may be mistaken in some of his judgments, yet the overall good he accomplishes outweighs any minor flaws.
    Members are taught to “rationalize” the conduct of the leader in matters they have always “considered unethical before,” under the guise that the “end justifies the means.”"
  • "The leader “is preoccupied with [raising] money.” There is always a need for increasing finances. New projects are ever in the planning. Members are strongly encouraged to greatly sacrifice for the leaderÂ’s current pet enterprise. There is little pressure let-up; members of the group must be kept revved up on a continual basis.
    The cult leader always takes the major credit for the movement’s accomplishments. Members become psychologically dependent upon him. “What would we ever do without our leader?,” is the cult mentality."
  • "The cult leader generates within his members “a polarized” mentality. His people evolve an us-versus-them outlook. Little by little, he criticizes other groups with which his members might tend to associate, undermining confidence in them, attempting to discredit anyone who could have influence over his flock."
  • "The cult leader has a clearly defined anti-authoritarian disposition. Within the context of the church, for instance, he would have an “anti-elder” attitude. Elders would be recipients of constant critical remarks. No cult leader would affiliate himself with a congregation having elders to whom he must be in submission. Control could not be maintained in such an environment.
    The cult leader will constantly criticize preachers, particularly those whose knowledge of the Scriptures eclipse his own. Members must be made to feel that he is the chief authority in spiritual matters."
  • "Cult members are seen occasionally to take on a new personality. They begin to act differently. They become increasingly antagonistic to family members and long-time friends. They may even boast, “I am not the old [name] that you used to know; I am a new person now.” And indeed they are. They have become strangers to those who knew them well. They have been transformed into the image of their leader."

From the "Psychology of Cults"  

Rev 13:1,5-18

• Views 914
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dr. Michael Langone, has done considerable research in the field of mind-manipulating movements. He's identified some key traits that cultish movements reveal themselves. Steve Hassan, a former cult

I kinda like seeing the witnesses having a good time, raising their hands, clapping, dancing. As long as they are doing it to worship God. That's how the bible describes cheerful worship.   

I also went to a Catholic school as did my siblings; and then was shunned because my mother pulled me out in the 6th grade to attend a different school that gave greater variety of classes.  Amid rule

On 12/29/2017 at 11:07 AM, Matthew9969 said:

I could add a few more signs.

Me, too.

"Don’t become idolaters as some of them were; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, ("spiritual food") and got up to party."  1 Cor 10:7

Image result for golden calf

I think the principle applies here .....

Just because all prostitutes wear shoes ... does not mean that everyone who wears shoes are prostitutes.

Some of what you say is true, Witness ... but not all of it.

Your "list" of characteristics should be compared to reality to see what applies, and what does not.

The basic rule about cults is ....  "A cult is the church down the street from YOUR church".

My wife went to a Catholic Girl's School, and has her OWN horror stories of idolatry, and evil to tell about.

Pesky Humans!

I also went to a Catholic school as did my siblings; and then was shunned because my mother pulled me out in the 6th grade to attend a different school that gave greater variety of classes.  Amid rulers slapped over the wrists, pulled hair by the nuns, and the highbrow looks my father received for his meager donations from a family with little money, he did not deter from his devotion as a Catholic.   During a brief time during these years, a JW was making calls on my mother regularly, until his suggestive looks, actions and comments sent him packing.

These two religions, as well as all centralized religions share the same characteristics that I do see in the points above.  The Catholic church has relaxed its standards, but not so the Watchtower which has only tightened the reigns.  I scrutinized the list to make sure it compared to the reality…of the Watchtower.  Perhaps because I have run the whole gamut, I clearly see how all points apply.

Jesus said true worshipers of God will worship in Spirit and truth, and that no earthly “mountain” is the source of our worship. This means no centralized religion within this world can receive God’s favor; except the only “organization” that He himself instituted; the anointed Body of Christ and authentic Temple of God.  John 4:21-24; 1Cor.3:16; 1Pet.2:5,9-10; Eph.2:20-22

"Just because all prostitutes wear shoes ... does not mean that everyone who wears shoes are prostitutes."

But their companionship can bring a man to ruin.  Prov 5:1-20; 6:26; Jer 14:14-16; Rev 18:4-8

Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained from the world.”  James 1:27

These are well done videos that I shared here a few years ago.  Someone  may find them enlightening.

The Channel of God Part 1 The Walsh Trial Jehovah's Witnesses   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TLbffsuyz0&t=845s

Channel of God P2 Simple Brotherhood to Centralized Authority Jehovah's Witnesses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTL2CFl7434

The Channel of God P3 From Simple Brotherhood to Centralized Authority Jehovah's Witnesses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpEHVaMn9Ok

This is what real cult behavior looks like, the doctor didn't see things like this:

The fact of the matter is, there are people who want to learn who God is and who Jesus is in order to gain life that is eternal and everlasting, John 17:3. But some blind teachers tend to stray people from the truth and into accursed teachings, as Galatians 1:1-8 describes.

One of the very reasons why Muslims tend to mock Christianity because of what majority of Trinity believers turned Christianity into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2L0b2z6WsM (more silliness)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crqgGy2MDJY (Crazy Christian Children Preachers)

Some Christian with cult-like behavior tend to have some "style" compared to those who seem possessed; gotta admit, this Christian guy dances better than me tbh.

Children Edition:

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.