Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Jack Ryan -
James Thomas Rook Jr. -

Top Posters

The video starts in a board room meeting where a group of men are brainstorming experiences which they can share – and one of the pinpoints “Sally”. ?

The clip then cuts to a young woman walking around what appears to be a market.

She seeÂ’s women wearing rainbow bracelets, with rainbow posters showing two stick-figure women holding hands.

When she goes to the till she’s asked if she would like to “make a donation to the marathon”, to which Sally says “no, thank you”.

She then walks to a separate store and purchases a blanket.

While waiting she sees a number of women wearing the bracelet.

The woman who serves her asks Sally if she would like her rainbow bracelet in the bag or if she would like to wear it now.

“No thank you,” Sally repeats again.

“What’s wrong honey?” A third woman then questions her. “You got something against them?” 

“Well no I don’t have anything against them personally,” she begins to reply, but she is then cut off.

“So what’s the problem?”

“I respect that they have a right to choose their lifestyle but as a Bible reader,” Sally begins to try and explain.

“Excuse me I’m a bible reader too I go to church and our church is one of the biggest supporters for this marathon,” the woman replies.

“Displaying courage now will help me display courage in the future,” a voice tells her.

“Well I’m one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and we believe the bible teaches sex is for a man and a woman who are married,” Sally says.

Sometimes tact and diplomacy do not work.

I have that problem with robo-calls, and people cold calling me, trying to sell "free" vacations, alarm systems, home mortgages, health plans, etc.

My wife is polite to them ... even a recorded robo-call.

I either hang up, or play them along to see how far they will go.

These people CANNOT comprehend logical thinking.

The classic is my internet provider trying to sell me a cable TV package ... AFTER I have told her we do not watch television AT ALL.

There is much to be said for being rude, nasty, difficult, and loud.

• Similar Content

• By Jack Ryan
      Why is God ok with Slavery yet so against the Gays?
    • By The Librarian
      Your browser does not support the HTML5 video tag.
    • By The Librarian
      Video recording of all sessions from the "Be courageous!" 2018 Regional Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses. You can either download the videos to your computer or watch them online. Watch online:
      Friday morning Friday afternoon Saturday morning Saturday afternoon Sunday morning Sunday afternoon Downloads:
        Your browser does not support the HTML5 video tag.
       (2.11 GB)   Your browser does not support the HTML5 video tag.
       (2.76 GB)   Your browser does not support the HTML5 video tag.
       (2.28 GB)   Your browser does not support the HTML5 video tag.
       (2.72 GB)   Your browser does not support the HTML5 video tag.
       (2.48 GB)   Your browser does not support the HTML5 video tag.
       (1.78 GB) View the full article
    • By Jack Ryan
      Each year, Jehovah's Witnesses host Regional Assemblies around the world. Witnesses travel to larger, rented stadiums where talks, demonstrations, and videos are presented to the audience for three days. Posted below are the outlines for the talks delivered by qualified Jehovah's Witness elders. Additionally, some of the videos played during these talks are included here. These files are for the 2018 "Be Courageous" conventions of Jehovah's Witnesses, which are scheduled to begin May 18th in North America.
      Videos
      *Note: Many of the videos were previously published elsewhere, but have since been removed. If that is the case, it is indicated on the individual videoÂ’s wiki entry.
      23. Be a Courageous—Pioneer-Video 1
      33. Learn Courage From Creation—Horses-Video 1
      40. How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—North America-Video 1
      44. Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Cry of Peace and Security-Video 1
      45. Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Destruction of Babylon the Great-Video 1
      46. Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Proclamation of the Hailstone Message-Video 1
      47. Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Attack by Gog of Magog-Video 1
      48. Future Events That Will Require Courage—Armageddon-Video 1
      49. Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Great Reconstruction-Video 1
      50. Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Final Test-Video 1
      Talks
      *Note: These documents were previously published elsewhere, but have since been removed.
      Zip file of all talks
      1. Chairmans Address-Jehovah—The Source of True Courage
      2. Why True Christians Need Courage—To Preach
      3. Why True Christians Need Courage To Remain Holy
      4. Why True Christians Need Courage To Maintain Neutrality
      6. No Weapon Formed Against You Will Have Any Success
      7. Courage Weakeners Versus Courage Strengtheners—Despair Versus Hope
      8. Courage Weakeners Versus Courage Strengtheners—Complaint Versus Thanksgiving
      9. Courage Weakeners Versus Courage Strengtheners—Unwholesome Recreation Versus Field Ministry
      10. Courage Weakeners Versus Courage Strengtheners—Bad Associations Versus Good Assocations
      11. Courage Weakeners Versus Courage Strengtheners—Worldly Wisdom Versus Personal Study
      12. Courage Weakeners Versus Courage Strengtheners—Doubt Versus Faith
      13. What They Risked-How They Were Rewarded—Hananiah Mishael and Azariah
      14. What They Risked-How They Were Rewarded—Aquila and Priscilla
      15. What They Risked-How They Were Rewarded—Stephen
      16. Take Courage I Have Conquered the World
      17. Courageous Soldiers of Christ
      18. Be a Courageous—Bible Student
      19. Be a Courageous—Youth
      20. Be a Courageous—Publisher
      21. Be a Courageous—Marriage Mate
      22. Be a Courageous—Parent
      23. Be a Courageous—Pioneer
      24. Be a Courageous—Congregation Elder
      25. Be a Courageous—Older Person
      26. Imitate Not the Cowards But the Courageous—Not the Ten Chieftans But Joshua and Caleb
      27. Imitate Not the Cowards But the Courageous—Not the Inhabitants of Meroz But Jael
      28. Imitate Not the Cowards But the Courageous—Not the False Prophets But Micaiah
      29. Imitate Not the Cowards But the Courageous—Not Urijah But Jeremiah
      30. Imitate Not the Cowards But the Courageous—Not Rich Young Ruler But Paul
      31. BAPTISM-We Are Not the Sort Who Shrink Back
      32. Learn Courage From Creation—Lions
      33. Learn Courage From Creation—Horses
      34. Learn Courage From Creation—Mongooses
      35. Learn Courage From Creation—Hummingbirds
      36. Learn Courage From Creation—Elephants
      37. How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—Africa
      38. How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—Asia
      39. How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—Europe
      40. How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—North America
      41. How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—Oceania
      42. How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—South America
      43. Courageous but Not Self-Relient
      44. Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Cry of Peace and Security
      45. Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Destruction of Babylon the Great
      46. Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Proclamation of the Hailstone Message
      47. Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Attack by Gog of Magog
      48. Future Events That Will Require Courage—Armageddon
      49. Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Great Reconstruction
      50. Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Final Test
      51. PUBLIC BIBLE DISCOURSE-The Resurrection Hope Imparts Courage—How
      52. Summary of The Watchtower
      54. There Are More With Us Than Against Us
      OUTLINE FOR MEETING WITH THOSE INTERESTED IN THE SCHOOL FOR KINGDOM EVANGELIZERS
      Media in category "JW - 2018 Regional Convention"
      The following 64 files are in this category, out of 64 total.
      2016-12-OUTLINE FOR MEETING WITH THOSE INTERESTED IN THE SCHOOL FOR KINGDOM EVANGELIZERS.pdf0 × 0; 558 KB   2017-09-No 13-What They Risked-How They Were Rewarded—Hananiah Mishael and Azariah.pdf0 × 0; 427 KB   2017-09-No 14-What They Risked-How They Were Rewarded—Aquila and Priscilla.pdf0 × 0; 371 KB   2017-09-No 15-What They Risked-How They Were Rewarded—Stephen.pdf0 × 0; 349 KB   2017-09-No 16-Take Courage I Have Conquered the World.pdf0 × 0; 298 KB   2017-09-No 27-Imitate Not the Cowards But the Courageous—Not the Inhabitants of Meroz But Jael.pdf0 × 0; 275 KB   2017-09-No 28-Imitate Not the Cowards But the Courageous—Not the False Prophets But Micaiah.pdf0 × 0; 266 KB 2017-09-No 29-Imitate Not the Cowards But the Courageous—Not Urijah But Jeremiah.pdf0 × 0; 258 KB   2017-09-No 3-Why True Christians Need Courage To Remain Holy.pdf0 × 0; 447 KB   2017-09-No 30-Imitate Not the Cowards But the Courageous—Not Rich Young Ruler But Paul.pdf0 × 0; 338 KB   2017-09-No 32-Learn Courage From Creation—Lions.pdf0 × 0; 229 KB   2017-09-No 33-Learn Courage From Creation—Horses.pdf0 × 0; 208 KB   2017-09-No 35-Learn Courage From Creation—Hummingbirds.pdf0 × 0; 246 KB   2017-09-No 4-Why True Christians Need Courage To Maintain Neutrality.pdf0 × 0; 361 KB 2017-09-No 44-Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Cry of Peace and Security.pdf0 × 0; 251 KB   2017-09-No 47-Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Attack by Gog of Magog.pdf0 × 0; 252 KB   2017-09-No 48-Future Events That Will Require Courage—Armageddon.pdf0 × 0; 281 KB   2017-09-No 49-Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Great Reconstruction.pdf0 × 0; 220 KB   2017-09-No 50-Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Final Test.pdf0 × 0; 212 KB   2017-10-No 1-Chairmans Address-Jehovah—The Source of True Courage.pdf0 × 0; 827 KB   2017-10-No 10-Courage Weakeners Versus Courage Strengtheners—Bad Associations Versus Good Assocations.pdf0 × 0; 334 KB 2017-10-No 11-Courage Weakeners Versus Courage Strengtheners—Worldly Wisdom Versus Personal Study.pdf0 × 0; 433 KB   2017-10-No 12-Courage Weakeners Versus Courage Strengtheners—Doubt Versus Faith.pdf0 × 0; 493 KB   2017-10-No 17-Courageous Soldiers of Christ.pdf0 × 0; 877 KB   2017-10-No 19-Be a Courageous—Youth.pdf0 × 0; 235 KB   2017-10-No 20-Be a Courageous—Publisher.pdf0 × 0; 211 KB   2017-10-No 22-Be a Courageous—Parent.pdf0 × 0; 217 KB   2017-10-No 23-Be a Courageous—Pioneer.pdf0 × 0; 230 KB 2017-10-No 24-Be a Courageous—Congregation Elder.pdf0 × 0; 221 KB   2017-10-No 31-BAPTISM-We Are Not the Sort Who Shrink Back.pdf0 × 0; 725 KB   2017-10-No 37-How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—Africa.pdf0 × 0; 372 KB   2017-10-No 38-How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—Asia.pdf0 × 0; 271 KB   2017-10-No 39-How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—Europe.pdf0 × 0; 262 KB   2017-10-No 40-How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—North America.pdf0 × 0; 334 KB   2017-10-No 41-How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—Oceania.pdf0 × 0; 269 KB 2017-10-No 42-How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—South America.pdf0 × 0; 364 KB   2017-10-No 43-Courageous but Not Self-Relient.pdf0 × 0; 775 KB   2017-10-No 51-PUBLIC BIBLE DISCOURSE-The Resurrection Hope Imparts Courage—How.pdf0 × 0; 466 KB   2017-10-No 52-Summary of The Watchtower.pdf0 × 0; 302 KB   2017-10-No 6-No Weapon Formed Against You Will Have Any Success.pdf0 × 0; 504 KB   2017-10-No 7-Courage Weakeners Versus Courage Strengtheners—Despair Versus Hope.pdf0 × 0; 460 KB   2017-10-No 8-Courage Weakeners Versus Courage Strengtheners—Complaint Versus Thanksgiving.pdf0 × 0; 289 KB 2017-10-No 9-Courage Weakeners Versus Courage Strengtheners—Unwholesome Receration Versus Field Ministry.pdf0 × 0; 390 KB   2017-11-No 2-Why True Christians Need Courage—To Preach.pdf0 × 0; 251 KB   2017-11-No 21-Be a Courageous—Marriage Mate.pdf0 × 0; 230 KB   2017-11-No 25-Be a Courageous—Older Person.pdf0 × 0; 239 KB   2017-11-No 26-Imitate Not the Cowards But the Courageous—Not the Ten Chieftans But Joshua and Caleb.pdf0 × 0; 277 KB   2017-11-No 34-Learn Courage From Creation—Mongooses.pdf0 × 0; 205 KB   2017-11-No 36-Learn Courage From Creation—Elephants.pdf0 × 0; 211 KB 2017-12-No 18-Be a Courageous—Bible Student.pdf0 × 0; 258 KB   2017-12-No 45-Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Destruction of Babylon the Great.pdf0 × 0; 259 KB   2017-12-No 46-Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Proclamation of the Hailstone Message.pdf0 × 0; 241 KB   2017-12-No 54-There Are More With Us Than Against Us.pdf0 × 0; 1.29 MB     2017-No 23-Be a Courageous—Pioneer-Video 1.mkv; 24.11 MB     2017-No 33-Learn Courage From Creation—Horses-Video 1.mkv; 25 MB     2017-No 40-How Our Brothers Are Showing Courage In—North America-Video 1.mkv; 33.21 MB   2017-No 44-Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Cry of Peace and Security-Video 1.mkv; 22.74 MB     2017-No 45-Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Destruction of Babylon the Great-Video 1.mkv; 28.04 MB     2017-No 46-Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Proclamation of the Hailstone Message-Video 1.mkv; 27.44 MB     2017-No 47-Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Attack by Gog of Magog-Video 1.mkv; 25.78 MB     2017-No 48-Future Events That Will Require Courage—Armageddon-Video 1.mkv; 26.57 MB     2017-No 49-Future Events That Will Require Courage—The Great Reconstruction-Video 1.mkv; 26.15 MB  
      2017-No_50-Future_Events_That_Will_Require_Courage—The_Final_Test-Video_1.mkv
      2018-Jehovahs_Witnesses-Regional_Convention-Speech_Outlines.zip
    • By Jack Ryan
      I am starting to get requests for these items posted previously. Enjoy!

• By Bible Speaks
      Many brothers have written to us asking if it is an error or it was intentional that in the program of the REGIONAL ASSEMBLY 2018, the last Sunday farewell song and prayer, their number did not appear.
      We can confirm, because it is already public domain in the US, that a new song will be released WORLDWIDE a new song that day and at that time, right at the end.
      Those of us who have heard it have been electrified and in due course we will share it privately with the interested parties, ALWAYS THE ASSEMBLIES HAVE STARTED in a few days.
      The lyrics of the song are just what is needed TODAY.
      Translated Google 

• By T.B. (Twyla)
      Here is a notebook for the 2018 “BE COURAGEOUS”! Regional Convention that I did.  TB
      2018 “BE COURAGEOUS”! Regional Convention notebook.pdf
    • By Jack Ryan
      He is a current member of the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses 
      Anthony Morris on Ireland Gay Marriage Vote (HD).mp4
    • By Jack Ryan
      From the June 2017 Watchtower:

In the Spanish version they used the phrase "wrong desires" and in the German edition they used the term "fleshly desires"
    • By The Librarian
      Does the Bible teach that homosexuals are bad people? Can a Christian please God while feeling attracted to the same sex?
      Source
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Friday's parliamentary vote in Berlin to recognize the right of same-sex couples to wed was a long-awaited victory for German liberals. But the vote was a defeat for the woman who seemed to have emerged as one of the country's most popular icons of liberalism: German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
      She welcomed over 1 million refugees, abandoned nuclear energy over safety fears and has urged President Trump to respect human rights.
      On Friday, however, Merkel voted against same-sex marriage, despite having paved the way to its recognition only days earlier.
      The anti-marriage-equality party line of Merkel's Christian Democratic Union (CDU) had long prevented the law from being passed. But on Monday, the German chancellor cleared the way for the issue to win approval in the German Parliament by allowing lawmakers to choose according to their personal convictions after being pressured into a vote by the Social Democratic Party. “I would like to steer the discussion more toward the situation that it will be a question of conscience instead of me forcing something through by means of a majority vote,” Merkel said earlier this week.
      Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/06/30/why-angela-merkel-known-for-embracing-liberal-values-voted-against-same-sex-marriage/?utm_term=.b6ce6745071c
    • By The Librarian
      One Man, One Woman
      Via
    • By Queen Esther
      STANDARD: Jehovah's or MAN"S  - It's not a hate issue, but rather a love for God and his standards.
      https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102016128#h=1:0-41:153
      Matthew 19:4-6. I don't hate gays but I do love my God and I chose to live and abide by his words, which say that two men should not lie down together, nor should two women. God says it is an abomination/detestable to him. Leviticus 18:22
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Devon and Cornwall Police have said a leaflet posted through doors in North Devon isn't a crime – despite it advising gay people to "control their urges".
      The leaflet, entitled "How to Harness Your Habits", was distributed in North Devon by Jehovah's Witnesses and contains an article asking "What does the Bible say about homosexuality?"
      In it, the religious group states that "rejecting homosexuality" is completely different to "rejecting people of a different skin colour" and says their views are the same as people who "view smoking as harmful and even repugnant".

It also compares gay people to animals, but says "unlike animals, they can choose not to act on their impulses".
      The Journal was contacted by a reader, who wishes to remain anonymous, who felt "belittled" by the leaflet.
      "I completely respect other peoples' beliefs and people who disagree with homosexuality because of their religion do not bother me," she said.
      "But when people actively seek you out to force their beliefs upon you and tell you that what you are doing is wrong then that does upset me.
      "They have encroached on my life by forcing their literature into my home and belittled my relationship and my life."
      Using passages from the Bible as, the text also says: "A person who has homosexual leanings can control what he allows his mind to dwell on, just as he would control any other wrong desire, including leanings towards anger, adultery or greed."
      However, it also says "the Bible does not encourage prejudice, hate crimes or any other kind of mistreatment of homosexuals".
      Devon and Cornwall Police looked at the leaflet and stated: "We have been made aware of some religious materials which have been distributed in North Devon.
      "Whilst it doesn't appear to meet the threshold to be considered a crime, these have been passed on to our Diverse Communities Team to look into."
      But Matt Horwood, senior communications officer for national LGBT charity Stonewall called the leaflet "damaging vitriol". 
      "It perpetuates the myth that you cannot be of faith while also being part of, or supporting, the lesbian, gay, bi and trans community," he said.
      "Stonewall will continue its work with faith communities to ensure that all LGBT people are accepted without exception in their place of worship and within their own faith communities."

http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/police-say-this-8216-anti-gay-8217-leaflet-isn-8217-t-a-crime-8211-what-do-you-think/story-29679291-detail/story.html
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Pope Francis says gays — and all the other people the church has marginalized, such as the poor and the exploited — deserve an apology.
      Francis was asked Sunday en route home from Armenia if he agreed with one of his top advisers, German Cardinal Reinhard Marx, who told a conference in Dublin in the days after the deadly Orlando gay club attack that the church owes an apology to gays for having marginalized them.
      Francis responded with a variation of his famous "Who am I to judge?" comment and a repetition of church teaching that gays must not be discriminated against but treated with respect.
      He said some politicized behaviors of the homosexual community can be condemned for being "a bit offensive for others." But he said: "Someone who has this condition, who has good will and is searching for God, who are we to judge?"
      "We must accompany them," Francis said.
      "I think the church must not only apologize ... to a gay person it offended, but we must apologize to the poor, to women who have been exploited, to children forced into labor, apologize for having blessed so many weapons" and for having failed to accompany families who faced divorces or experienced other problems.
      Francis uttered his "Who am I to judge?" comment during his first airborne press conference in 2013, signaling a new era of acceptance and welcome for gays in the church. Francis followed up by meeting with gay and transgender faithful, and most significantly, by responding to claims that he met with anti-gay marriage campaigner Kim Davis during his U.S. visit. He said the only personal meeting he held in Washington was with his gay former student and his partner.
      Despite such overtures, however, many gay Catholics are still waiting for progress after a two-year consultation of the church on family issues failed to chart concrete, new pastoral avenues for them.
      The Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, told reporters after Francis' press conference that the pope wasn't referring to a medical "condition" when he spoke of gays, but rather a lifestyle situation.
      ———
      This story has been corrected to show that the cardinal's name is Reinhard Marx, not Karl.
      Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/pope-gays-marginalized-deserve-apology-40146749
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      A gay rights activist celebrates outside of the iconic Stonewall Inn on the day the Supreme Court ruled that same-sex couples have the right to marry in all 50 states. (Yana Paskova/Getty Images)

President Obama is poised to declare the first-ever national monument recognizing the struggle for gay rights, singling out a sliver of green space and part of the surrounding Greenwich Village neighborhood as the birthplace of America’s modern gay liberation movement.
      While most national monuments have highlighted iconic wild landscapes or historic sites from centuries ago, this reflects the country’s diversity of terrain and peoples in a different vein: It would be the first national monument anchored by a dive bar and surrounded by a warren of narrow streets that long has been regarded the historic center of gay cultural life in New York City.
      Federal officials, including Interior Secretary Sally Jewell, National Park Service Director Jonathan B. Jarvis and Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), will hold a listening session on May 9 to solicit feedback on the proposal. Barring a last-minute complication — city officials are still investigating the history of the land title — Obama is prepared to designate the area part of the National Park Service as soon as next month, which commemorates gay pride.
      Protests at the site, which lasted for six days, began in the early morning of June 28, 1969 after police raided the Stonewall Inn, which was frequented by gay men. While patrons of the bar, which is still in operation today in half of its original space, had complied in the past with these crackdowns, that time it sparked a spontaneous riot by bystanders and those who had been detained.
      Although national monument designations are partly symbolic, backers of the move said it could bolster the fight against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, which led to the landmark 2015 Supreme Court ruling legalizing same-sex marriage.
      “We must ensure that we never forget the legacy of Stonewall, the history of discrimination against the LGBT community, or the impassioned individuals who have fought to overcome it,” Nadler, who has co-authored legislation that would make it a national park, said in a statement. “The LGBT civil rights movement launched at Stonewall is woven into American history, and it is time our National Park system reflected that reality.”
      The president described Stonewall as a critical event in the nation’s social progress during his second inaugural speech, reflecting the idea “that all of us are created equal,” and alluded to it again when celebrating the 50th anniversary of the march on Selma, Ala.
      Interior Department spokeswoman Amanda Degroff said Obama “has made clear that he’s committed to ensuring our national parks, monuments and public lands help Americans better understand the places and stories that make this nation great” — though at the moment the administration has no official announcement on the designation.
      Noting that Jewell and Jarvis are attending next week’s public meeting at the invitation of Nadler and federal, state and local officials, Degroff added, “Insights from meetings like this one play an important role in identifying the best means to protect and manage significant sites like Christopher Park, whether a designation is established by Congress or through executive authority.”
      Nadler and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) have asked the president to protect the site under the 1906 Antiquities Act. In a sign of how much has changed since 1969, the three officials who represent the area — City Council member Corey Johnson, state assembly member Deborah Glick and state senator Brad Hoylman — are all openly gay and endorse the idea of making it a monument, as does the local community advisory board.
      The decision to recognize a critical moment in the fight for gay rights, at a time when politicians in several states are moving to strip away legal protections for transgender, gay, lesbian and bisexual residents, enjoys considerable support within the administration. But the path to declaring the monument has been a complicated one, largely because the site involves private property and a dense urban area where land-use planning is never simple.
      But late last month, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) signed legislation, backed by New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) and several state lawmakers, that would allow the city to transfer ownership of Christopher Park to the federal government should it become designated as a monument. That patch of green, spanning less than two-tenths of an acre, lies opposite the Stonewall Inn.
      n the same way Chicago’s Pullman National Monument — which Obama declared last year to highlight the struggle for labor and civil rights a century ago — encompasses a federally owned former railroad-car factory and part of the surrounding neighborhood, the proposed monument would include several streets that served as a battlefield between activists and law enforcement.
      “History’s messy,” said David Stacy, government affairs director of the Human Rights Campaign, whose group has pushed for the designation along with others such as the National Parks Conservation Association and Gill Foundation. “This raised the consciousness of people throughout the country. It said to people, you don’t have to be quiet. You don’t have to stay in the closet.”
      Gill Foundation president and chief executive Courtney Cuff, whose group helped fund a two-year study to identify what LGBT sites might qualify for National Park Service recognition, said a monument designation would mean “interpreters will be talking to visitors about the LGBT community and the contributions of the LGBT movement writ large.”
      Hoylman, who lives in the neighborhood with his husband and 5-year-old daughter Silvia, said he has taken her there and “tried to explain to her how important it is to her daddy and her papa.”
      “The president has mentioned Stonewall along with Selma and Seneca Falls in his second inaugural. So it’s fitting that he would be the president to bring this forward,” he said. “It’s breathtaking how far we’ve come, in so short a time.”
      Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/white-house-poised-to-create-first-monument-to-gay-rights/2016/05/03/0811810e-1154-11e6-93ae-50921721165d_story.html

A plaque noting the site of the 1969 Stonewall Riots is affixed to the front of The Stonewall Inn, in New York's Greenwich Village, on May 29, 2014. (Richard Drew/AP)
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Rosjes128
    Newest Member
    Rosjes128

• Topics

• Life is one continuous comedy .... then you die.
    • For 2010 to 2019, it was 213 times for those years. But this includes the superspike for the 100 year anniversary when both 2013 and 2014 included 121 between them, representing more than half of the decade in just those two years. If those two years had been normal years, the total would have been just 213-121+9+9=110. 2013 and 2014 included the preparation and finale of a big push for a 1914 centennial. And maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling that it fell kind of flat. There was another of these "anniversaries" (70th) that was built up in 1983 and 1984, where that decade's yearly average was doubled in '83 and tripled in '84 -- very similar to what happened in 2013 and 2014 when that average was quadrupled in 2013 and then septupled in 2014. (BTW, if you made a chart that broke this into 5 year intervals, a trend would seem much more obvious.) Still, I don't think it's being slowly phased out. I think that it gets mentioned less as it seems less important, and less practical to our current issues. It is no longer a field service "draw" based on the generation that would not die out as it would have been in 1983/4 when the generation meant something else. Once something has lost some of its importance, someone will start reconsidering whether it was ever that important at all, and this might encourage a reconsideration of the Gentile Times doctrine into a simpler, more Biblical teaching. (Just my opinion of course.) My sentiments exactly! I noticed. I was speaking about giving evidence. You should have. It would provide even more evidence for what I was saying. You are the only one I know who repeatedly tries to call me an "expert." I have never claimed this about myself. I just happen to have had several assignments that gave me an opportunity to read all of Russell's writings in the Bethel Library between about 1977 and 1982. And I have enjoyed reading further and refreshing my memory on some of this now that almost everything Russell wrote is so easily accessible online, and checkable against my physical library that contains most (but not all) of Russell's writings.
    • You are right. I was equating the importance not so much in the number of times it is mentioned, but that it is mentioned at all! I just tried to create a graph, but alas, since I've never done one either in word or excel, I failed miserably. I got the horizontal axis right, but I just can't find how to create the vertical axis and how to change the data (numbers) for the vertical axis so I completely messed up. In any case, the chart would show that since 1950 Watchtowers, the mention of 1914 has a sharp downward trend. During 1950 to 1959, it was mentioned 891 times, and during 2000-2009 it was mentioned 216 times. I don't have data for the years 2010 to 2019. So comparatively there is a big difference, but it still seems like too many mentions, if we are thinking along the lines of it slowly being phased out. In my opinion anyway....  
    • I just woke up startled, from my afternoon nap. I had a really scary nightmare, about the Presidential Impeachment effort now going on. I dreamed I was a Democrat Congressman, and in the dream I thought I was possessed by a demon that controlled me like a puppet. And in fighting that double whammy of being a Democrat Congressman, and a demon, I was trying to fight the evil that possessed me. I thought "Could it be that we are just whiney bullies, completely divorced from reality, trying to railroad and frame a man for crimes that do not even exist, but are merely policy differences between adversaries?" I thought "Could it be that this is just a vendetta, for his unspeakable crime of making us and all out friends look like complete fools, in predicting Hillary would win in a landslide of historic proportions?" I thought "Could it be that our hatred for this man, and his continuous string of accomplishing what he promised to do in his campaign is making us hate him even more, giving us NOTHING to run on in 2020?" I thought " Could it be that this unfair sham of a trial to get him impeached is merely to mortally wound him so he will lose the 2020 Presidential Election, especially since every one of our candidates are either senile, or bat-crap crazy .... or both?" And then I came to the unconsious realization ( ... as I was in fact dreaming ...) that "NAAAAH! ... merely a spot of indigestion."        
    • Nice try! Nothing has changed with word manipulation. Face it, its was you, JTR, TTH, Anna that get people banned. But here we go, I prove you wrong, and now you're using it as an excuse to ban. So, let's not contradict yourself, why people get banned because of spamming. It doesn't have anything to do with being rude or anything else. It has to do with people here not wanting to be proved wrong. I don't wish to give anything. I just don't like manipulating other peoples words to come out with a false claim. I could go even further about Russell's spoken words. Put you're the researcher and ranking expert here. Your supposed to know all that already.
    • You are going to have to do some serious explaining, to justify that statement, as it makes no sense at all. Further, if Thor is the reaction you get when eating a Thanksgiving Day meal, you need to take some Athpirin.
    • Watch out, you just admitted that it was you who got people banned from this forum. And up until now, I'm sure no one had any idea that it was you getting yourself banned all those times. 🙄 You said: "Russell didn't care for the Pyramid scheme" and now it appears you wish to give, as evidence, the fact that Russell wasn't sure if the Pyramid indicated anything for the year 1910. If you read what Russell said, however, he claimed that the Pyramid perfectly supported 1874, 1878, 1881 and 1914. He had several times predicted related events timed to about 1910, but he could not distinctly find them in the Pyramid, as he claimed to have found for other dates. Even in 1911, just months after this 1910 question was answered, Russell said in the March 15, 1911 Watch Tower: "No doubt all of our readers have read STUDIES IN THE SCRIPTURES, Vol. III, the last chapter of which describes the Pyramid and sets forth much of the wonderful symbolic teachings shown in its construction. It shows the Pyramid to be in exact harmony with the Bible. Indeed, some, after reading this volume, have referred to the Great Pyramid as 'The Bible in Stone.'" Just because Russell didn't care for how well the scheme supported 1910, doesn't mean he didn't care about how it was in EXACT harmony, he claimed, with 1874, 1878, 1881 and 1914. The 1917 Finished Mystery book bragged about how Russell's chronology was written before he ever saw the Pyramid, and before he even saw any of Edgar's abundant evidences of the accuracy of Bible chronology in the Pyramid. In 1920 Rutherford went to see it, and the Watch Tower in Dec 15 reported that all the other pyramids were built under the direction of Satan except "the Great Pyramid, which was built under the Lord's supervision." In the June 15 1922 Watch Tower Rutherford published that the "present-truth chronology . . . the correspondency of dozens of measurements proves that the same God designated both pyramid and plan. . ." By 1924, it was claimed of course in the May 21, 1924 Golden Age that the Pyramid, the "Scientific Bible" verified the importance of 1874, 1914 and 1925. (This addition of the 1925 date is actually kind of hilarious if you have carefully read Charles Piazzi Smyth and Joseph Seiss, and see how Russell had re-used their material.) Also in 1924, The Way to Paradise, showed the Pyramid with the caption "GOD'S PLAN WRITTEN IN STONE." Here, it was conjectured that Shem probably built it. Russell had conjectured it was Melchizedek. This was repeated in 1925, and as late as 1926, the Watch Tower said that "advanced Bible Students believe that the Great Pyramid at Gizeh is the witness to the Lord in the Land of Egypt mentioned by the Prophet. (Isa. 19:19)" It was not until 1928 that it became a monument built "under the direction of Satan the Devil." It was now Satan's Bible and no longer "Jehovah's Witness" in stone. This was one of the reasons for the controversy when Rutherford insisted that this false information in Volume III, continue to be sold and advertised in 1929, 1930, 1931, 1932, etc. And still made available for sale by the Society even in the 1940's. Special deluxe editions of the Studies in the Scriptures were still mentioned in the Kingdom Ministry as late as July 1967.
  • Popular Now