The World News Media

F.D.A. Approves First Drug Designed to Prevent Migraines

Guest Nicole

Guest Nicole

The first medicine designed to prevent migraines was approved by the Food and Drug Administration on Thursday, ushering in what many experts believe will be a new era in treatment for people who suffer the most severe form of these headaches.

The drug, Aimovig, made by Amgen and Novartis, is a monthly injection with a device similar to an insulin pen. The list price will be $6,900 a year, and Amgen said the drug will be available to patients within a week.

Aimovig blocks a protein fragment, CGRP, that instigates and perpetuates migraines. Three other companies — Lilly, Teva and Alder — have similar medicines in the final stages of study or awaiting F.D.A. approval.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/health/migraines-prevention-drug-aimovig.html

• Views 353
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About 40 years ago, I had terrible migraine headaches ... some so bad the pain curled my arms up under my chin involuntarily, and turned my hands into claws at my collar bones.  You could see the veins in my scalp, so I am told.

I went to the hospital, and they gave me a really good tranquilizer, and put me in a dark room. 

The doctor came in and asked if I was still in pain.  The pain had not diminished ... but I really did not care.

That was an epiphany.

Since then I have severely limited my choice of crazy friends and drama queens, and people that are just plain bat crap crazy, and with a few beers, and a fifth of scotch about every six months, I get by migraine free since then ...... for about $150 a year.

Right there I am saving more than $6,000.

Guest Nicole
12 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Since then I have severely limited my choice of crazy friends and drama queens, and people that are just plain bat crap crazy, and with a few beers, and a fifth of scotch about every six months, I get by migraine free since then ...... for about $150 a year.

Alternative medicine ?