The World News Media

JW Grandparents Who Shun Children Should Likewise be Banned from Contacting Grandchildren

Jack Ryan

@Space Merchant, @Anna @James Thomas Rook Jr., et al.

With near unanimous approval (thanks, Anna!) I have moved some of the portions of this topic that dealt with 1975 to another topic, here:

https://www.theworldnewsmedia.org/topic/69838-1975-was-in-the-past-are-we-honest-about-it-today/?tab=comments#comment-106775

I think there was another post in another recent topic that I might move over there, too, because it also seemed out of place in its current location. A few of the responses here might not make perfect sense any more now that a few posts have been moved.

• Views 4.4k
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am beginning to believe that ALL the Scriptures in the Bible, talking about how the "love of the greater number will cool off", and in the end times, a wide range of cruelties will be abundant, that

This is a case of being "righteous overmuch" or "self-righteous" and "haughty" like the Pharisees. Paul put the ideas together in Romans quoted above: (Romans 1:28-2:1) 28 And just as they did

I often chalk up your statements as hyperbole-laden rants. But this I must agree with whole-heartedly. One can make an argument that our process is actually Biblical, but then Jesus said it was OK to

Posted Images

16 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

I quit the best job I ever had, in Zaire, the Congo, to be back home with my Mom and Dad in Virginia, when "the END came".

“Boy, I sure am glad @James Thomas Rook Jr. quit that great job we gave him because his people thought the world would end! I thought he would end ours what with all his griping about the direction here. And the janitor tells me he was getting sick and tired up scrubbing off cartoon graffiti everywhere!”

On 9/5/2018 at 5:30 PM, Anna said:

disfellowshipped relatives are to be shunned

Probably the word "shun" is the problem. It seems to mean "abhor" in it's etymology. That's a word with quite specific and unpleasant connotations and used quite infrequently in Scripture. Is it to be appllied indiscriminately to disfellowshipped persons?

5 hours ago, Gone Away said:

Probably the word "shun" is the problem. It seems to mean "abhor" in it's etymology. That's a word with quite specific and unpleasant connotations and used quite infrequently in Scripture. Is it to be appllied indiscriminately to disfellowshipped persons?

I agree "shunned" is a term we Witnesses don't generally use, but a non Witness will know what it means in practice; that the person in question will be ignored, and avoided. This was clearly encouraged by the video, where the mother ignored her daughter's telephone call. What if it had been an emergency? 

18 minutes ago, Anna said:

I agree "shunned" is a term we Witnesses don't generally use, but a non Witness will know what it means in practice; that the person in question will be ignored, and avoided. This was clearly encouraged by the video, where the mother ignored her daughter's telephone call. What if it had been an emergency?  

I have known several people disfellowshipped and reinstated multiple times.

Forget about them for just two minutes .... what is the effect on US who deal with it?

There is another word that we do not use to describe this cruel, brutal shunning practice by:

1.) Loving our Family unconditionally,  (assuming they are in fact lovable...) if they are approved by the Congregation Elders;

2.) Abhor them and treat them like they were dead if they are NOT approved by the Congregation Elders;

3.) Loving our Family unconditionally, if they are approved by the Congregation Elders;

4.) Abhor them and treat them like they were dead if they are NOT approved by the Congregation Elders;

5.) Loving our Family unconditionally,  if they are approved by the Congregation Elders;

6.) Abhor them and treat them like they were dead if they are NOT approved by the Congregation Elders;

etc., etc. etc.

Being able to flip your emotions completely on and off ... on and off ... on and off like a light switch ... which is what we have been trained year after year to do .... through shunning ...

..... is INSANE!

I firmly believe THIS is what the Bible says when it uses the phrase "... the love of the greater number will cool off".  It does NOT pertain to worldly people.

It applies to US.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.