The World News Media

Popes Francis, Benedict knew of sexual misconduct allegations against Cardinal McCarrick for years

Jack Ryan

• Views 620
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw a picture of ex-JW Barbara Anderson in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania from several months ago, apparently with some other ex-JWs who helped to get this publicized. It was from a political rally about

Posted Images

Vigano apparently sought to answer some of those questions. His letter identifies by name the Vatican cardinals and U.S. archbishops who were informed about the McCarrick affair, an unthinkable expose for a Vatican diplomat to make. He said documents backing up his version of events are in Vatican archives.

The Vatican’s ambassador to the U.S. from 2011 to 2016, Vigano said his two immediate predecessors “did not fail” to inform the Holy See about accusations against McCarrick, starting in 2000. Vigano said he himself sent at least two memos on him.

He said Pope Benedict XVI eventually sanctioned McCarrick in 2009 or 2010 to a lifetime of penance and prayer, and to no longer celebrate Mass in public or travel.

He said Francis asked him about McCarrick when they met on June 23, 2013, at the Vatican’s Santa Marta hotel where the pope lives, three months after Francis was elected pope.

Vigano wrote that he told Francis: “Holy Father, I don’t know if you know Cardinal McCarrick, but if you ask the Congregation of Bishops, there is a dossier this thick about him. He corrupted generations of seminarians and priests, and Pope Benedict ordered him to withdraw to a life of prayer and penance.”

Soon thereafter, Vigano wrote, he was surprised to find that McCarrick had started traveling on missions on behalf of the church, including to China. McCarrick was also one of the Vatican’s intermediaries in the U.S.-Cuba talks in 2014.

Vigano’s claim that McCarrick had been ordered by Benedict to stay out of public ministry and retire to a lifetime of prayer is somewhat disputed, given that McCarrick enjoyed a fairly public retirement. Vigano provides no evidence that such sanctions were imposed by Benedict, saying only that he was told they were.

The letter also contains a lengthy diatribe about homosexuals and liberals in the Catholic church. It often reads like an ideological manifesto, naming all of Francis’ known supporters in the U.S. hierarchy as being complicit in a cover-up of McCarrick’s misdeeds.

“Now that the corruption has reached the very top of the church’s hierarchy, my conscience dictates that I reveal those truths regarding the heart-breaking case of the archbishop emeritus of Washington,” Vigano wrote.

Vigano, however, also has had his own problems with allegations of cover-up, and he and Francis had a major dust-up during Francis’ 2015 visit to the U.S., which Vigano organized.

I saw a picture of ex-JW Barbara Anderson in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania from several months ago, apparently with some other ex-JWs who helped to get this publicized. It was from a political rally about changing the laws to help more victims of child sexual abuse.

It seems they, along with Catholics and others, have been working with the politicians and lawmakers in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA (the State capitol), to get more publicity and exposure about child sexual abuse, and changes to the law regarding the statute of limitations, child protection awareness, etc. Some of that work and pressure recently helped move politicians to push for exposing the 300 Catholic priests publicly in Pennsylvania just weeks ago. One of those associated with Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York priests, Theodore McCarrick, had been demoted as a cardinal but promoted to be the archbishop of Washington DC, with the knowledge of the Vatican.

I have read that Barbara Anderson had already been invited to the Vatican a few years ago to share her expertise about dealing with the issue in a religious institution. I'd be interested if anyone else has drawn a connection between exJWs and this exposure.

1 minute ago, Jack Ryan said:

Apostate Jehovah's WItnesses Take Down The Vatican While Aiming At Watchtower / JW.org

I'm drawing a few inferences, and I don't know if more and better details might be discussed over at another forum where some of those persons are known to post. But if any persons here know which forum I am talking about, I'd be interested if anyone is crediting anyone over there with some of this. I've looked at that forum a few years ago, and for me personally, it was a big vortex of time-wasting craziness. It still comes up in Google searches, and it seems just as crazy. But I know that some people here might know.

4 hours ago, JW Insider said:

But if any persons here know which forum I am talking about, I'd be interested if anyone is crediting anyone over there with some of this.

I think I know which forum you may be talking about (although it could be any number of them) but I have not seen anyone specifically being credited. But I only looked superficially. On there Barbara Anderson only seems to post links to news articles.