The World News Media

Would you give your life for your errant brother?

Srecko Sostar

2 hours ago, JW Insider said:

Even....

I can agree with general idea you present. 

For sure, we can find the truth on various places, among all sort of group of people. We can find the truth  even on the African plains, where the lion must eat the zebra to remain alive. And a zebra must exist so that a lion may have something to eat. And this "evidence" is a "proof" how The Truth looks like on this level. From this example, i am sure, you can understand where my thinking goes sometimes.

So, we on Earth have many Truths, with many Shapes and many Sorts. 2+2=4 is also The Truth. Hurricane Florence is also The Truth and affect people's life. Bad inclination of human heart is The Truth as also it is compassion from the same hearth. Catholic also have some Truths. What shall we do with so many Truths?? And what shall we do with something that looks like Truth? What we shall do with something that stopped to be Truth? What we shall do with Half Truths, what with Lies? 

I can believe how JW, but also other smaller denominations, religions, groups of all kind can build connections in a way you described. Even worldly school children can make positive connections with children in came class or in another town or country. There is a mutual visit of a student from one school to another. Some of them manage to create lasting links.  I believe that it is case with the people of other social groups, religious and non-religious, too.

I had the opportunity to travel and visit JW in other European countries. And some of JW from the other countries met me here in Croatia and invited me to visit. Some acquaintances lasted longer, some shorter. When I visited some assemblies in other countries, some JWs came to meet me, some did not care about having a guest who came for the first time in their congregation. Some people are getting in touch, and some do not. Certainly, human relationships are complex and something attracts us and something rejects us from others. That is life. And our fantasy and imagination and expectations are something else, even in a "worldwide brotherhood". 

2 hours ago, JW Insider said:

And as to "depth," ideally, we should be willing to protect one another, or even give our life for one another as if we were all members of the same literal family.

I think the Bible has several various paragraphs on this subject, about giving oneself to others, even to the point of giving life. At this level, there may be a problem because it is spoken, taught, by almost all people, and also by other religions, not just JW; "God loves all people to such a degree that He gives his Son to die for Human, Jesus loves all people to such a degree that he has given life to the righteous and the unrighteous." 

This could mean that JW should give life not only for his brother in faith but also for a brother who is not in faith.                                                     What we shall do with this "Truth"?

• Views 2.6k
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand everything you say. Don't get me wrong, I was never agreeing with this video, in fact I think it's one of the worst videos WT has ever made. What I was doing was refuting what someone sai

As Jesus said we should treat disfellowshipped ones as "man of the nations and as a tax collector", then I'l leave you to work out the conscientious application of the principles of his Good Samaritan

@Srecko Sostar I agree. Period. I'd also add this situation mention in an old Awake magazine: *** g81 10/22 p. 6 “I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic” *** “The last lifeboat was b

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Srecko Sostar said:

This could mean that JW should give life not only for his brother in faith but also for a brother who is not in faith.

True. That's when we prefer to invoke Galatians 6:10:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1999442#h=1

Love Toward Those ‘Related in the Faith’

GENUINE Christians have a familylike bond among themselves. Indeed, since the first century C.E., they have referred to one another as “brother” and “sister.” (Mark 3:31-35; Philemon 1, 2) These are not just words; they constitute a description of how worshipers of God feel about one another. (Compare 1 John 4:7, 8.) Jesus said: “By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”—John 13:35.

Such love was evident in July 1997 when a prolonged drought was followed by torrential rains and flooding in Chile. Suddenly, many were in need of food, clothing, and other items. In disaster situations, Jehovah’s Witnesses strive to follow Paul’s admonition to the Galatians: “Really, then, as long as we have time favorable for it, let us work what is good toward all, but especially toward those related to us in the faith.”—Galatians 6:10.

Another problem with such love presented in WT publication, where and when are talking about Christian love that is ready for giving life for brother in faith, is in video "evidence" when mother don't want to pick up phone when dfd daughter calling her. What "proof" such instruction show us? What love is in person who claim and teach how has love that is ready to give life for all other but not ready to pick up phone for own daughter? 

3 minutes ago, AllenSmith34 said:
3 hours ago, Srecko Sostar said:

This could mean that JW should give life not only for his brother in faith but also for a brother who is not in faith

Sorry to disappoint. When we learn scripture correctly, you will find that some questions become technical. This is one of them. Jesus spoke of laying your life for your CHRISTIAN brothers. So, unless a former witness is repentant, there is NO! Redemption. So, NO! It doesn’t apply to those that are of faith and have no remorse. Pay attention to the words in scripture.

Titus 1:16 Context: Correcting False Teachers

16They profess to know God, but they deny Him by their actions. They are detestable, disobedient, and unfit for any good deed.

Now, if you’re referring to laying down your life for a stranger, that’s a different story. Therefore, scripture is clear in this matter.

Well, let me to think ones again.....??!!!&&&&##$$$$$*****xxxyyyyzzz&&&&&====///..... OK i am ready now. 

If Mr. Fireman, who happened to be Catholic,  come to some JW family burning house and loses his life by saving JW  brother elder's wife or children then what will we say? We can say how he haven't Christian love, explained by WT what Christian love is and how has to look, , but he was maybe paid to save your life? Was he paid to lose his life to save your? No. But some people have strong affection,  or strong  sense of responsibility, or strong  desire, wish to help someone who need help. 

Well, who have "love" or greater "love"? JW mother who not want pick up phone for her daughter or Catholic who put his life for person who is not Catholic?

54 minutes ago, Srecko Sostar said:

Well, who have "love" or greater "love"? JW mother who not want pick up phone for her daughter or Catholic who put his life for person who is not Catholic?

Who has greater love; someone who does something for the greater and long term benefit of a person, despite the extreme emotional hurt it causes themselves, or someone who does something believing it is only a temporary fix and will not benefit the person in the long run, but it's easier on the emotions?  You can apply any scenario here. Perhaps a parent with a drug addicted child, or an alcoholic...etc. It's called tough love.

We have no way of knowing, but perhaps the "mother" may give her life to save a Catholic if the opportunity presents itself one day.....

tough love
ˌtəf ˈləv/
noun
  1. promotion of a person's welfare, especially that of an addict, child, or criminal, by enforcing certain constraints on them, or requiring them to take responsibility for their actions".

35 minutes ago, Srecko Sostar said:

If Mr. Fireman, who happened to be Catholic,  come to some JW family burning house and loses his life by saving JW  brother elder's wife or children then what will we say? We can say how he haven't Christian love, explained by WT what Christian love is and how has to look, , but he was maybe paid to save your life? Was he paid to lose his life to save your? No. But some people have strong affection,  or strong  sense of responsibility, or strong  desire, wish to help someone who need help. 

@Srecko Sostar I agree. Period.

I'd also add this situation mention in an old Awake magazine:

• *** g81 10/22 p. 6 “I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic” ***
  • “The last lifeboat was being loaded. A middle-aged gentleman was with his very young, pregnant wife. He helped her into the lifeboat, then looked back to the deck and saw others wanting to get aboard. He kissed his wife good-bye, and, returning to the deck, grabbed the first person in his path. Fortunately, I was there in the right place at the right time and he put me into the lifeboat. I screamed for my sister who had frozen from fright. With the help of others, she also was pushed into the lifeboat. Who was the gallant man who performed this kind act? We were told he was John Jacob Astor IV. At that time he was 45 years old and his wife, Madeleine, was 19. They were traveling to the United States because they wanted their child to be born there. Many newspaper stories were written that told how John Jacob Astor gave up his life for a young immigrant. 

I personally consider this gentleman a lot better than me,  I'm quite sure I'd find some reasons to stay at the boat. And yes, this fine man wasn't a JW.

Regarding the video about the mother refusing answer her daugther call, what can I say? It's a shame. I also suppose that faithful servants of all times weren't always happy with the behavior of co-worshipers, not even the prominent ones.

AllenSmith34 said:

Are we overextending ourselves in this scenario? Are we talking about Someone's duty as a paid individual to help others? or is it FAITH based?

There are certain aspects of your post, that is expected for those that get paid to help.

1 hour ago, AllenSmith34 said:

Jesus spoke of laying your life for your CHRISTIAN brothers.

If my memory served me, Jesus told how he lay life for his FRIENDS, the 12 (even Judas is in it).1My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.14 You are my friends if you do what I command. ("if you do what I command" ... sort of conditioned love?)

And now we shall go to Romans chapter 5;

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die.But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. ("while we still sinners" .....sort of not conditioned love!)

To continue; Did Jesus here "OVEREXTENDING" his scenario? He was not gave life ONLY for his 12 friends or some imagine future "Christian brothers". He gave life for all people. And inside all people exists all sorts of people - good, bad, sinners, righteous and unrighteous, JW, Catholic, Republicans, Democrats.... and whoever else.

Who have duty???.... Who have faith???....................NO, question is  Who have love? ------ FOR LAY DOWN OWN LIFE FOR YOUR?    

Please, what you have to correct in this??!!

1 hour ago, AllenSmith34 said:

Titus 1:16 Context: Correcting False Teachers

16They profess to know God, but they deny Him by their actions. They are detestable, disobedient, and unfit for any good deed.

Who is unfit in good deed for save your life from fire? Fireman?

:)) Allen, Allen

9 hours ago, Srecko Sostar said:

What we shall do with this "Truth"?

As Jesus said we should treat disfellowshipped ones as "man of the nations and as a tax collector", then I'l leave you to work out the conscientious application of the principles of his Good Samaritan parable in such a case.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.