The World News Media

Shaming children from the stage...

Jack Ryan

No worries.    I have been 16....Eons ago, of course and I know for a certainty that Parenting is Not an Exact Science.     Bottom line.   If you have children then either you already know or will learn that this is so.    Raising a kid to be a J.W. is a good upbringing.....my happiest times during my youth were in the association of the Fellowship.  We had large picnics, played music, went out in service, traveled,  we had a lot of fun.    So....eh, I have no answers per se, just my own observations and experiences.      

• Views 866
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Recently, a 16ish year old was announced as no-longer-an-unbaptized-publisher from the stage. It's completely icky to me that adults would shame a child publicly like this. It's straight-up child abus

16 years of age is age enough to know that if you cannot play  by the rules, get out of the game.    

I think Judith Sweeney meant not getting involved with Jehovah's Witnesses .... not leaving home at that early age.

1 hour ago, Judith Sweeney said:

Hahaha!   I just re-read everything and the ''stage" is not like it is Broadway!  

(Get tha Hook!)

you're right its not, but it is humiliation in front of friends and family. 

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14753634.2013.778485

Since power is central to humiliation, the victim of an act of humiliation can be described not as feeling but as being humiliated, as the victim of an act of power. Humiliation is something actively done by one person to another, even if through institutions or directed in principle at groups. It is a demonstration of the capacity to use power unjustly with apparent impunity.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-legacy-distorted-love/201209/shaming-children-is-emotionally-abusive

Shaming and humiliating children is emotionally abusive. It is not ok to smack children physically or with words. Young people deserve and are entitled to reach out, attach and bond with their caretakers. It is an expectation that the parent will provide safety, protection, acceptance, understanding and empathy. When this does happen, children grow up knowing their worth and demanding respect from others and themselves. When children are emotionally or psychologically abused, they grow up feeling unloved, unwanted, and fearful. Normal development is interrupted and it sends the wounded child into exile. This is when negative internal messages are developed and why we have so many adults today feeling “not good enough.”

Shaming and humiliation causes fear in children. This fear does not go away when they grow up. It becomes a barrier for a healthy emotional life and is difficult to eradicate. If these same children become parents, the possibility also exists that the fear and negativity can be unwittingly passed through the generations.

http://www.childhoodrevered.com/sentient/parenting/2010/08/humiliation-far-reaching-effects-on-children-adults-society/

Importantly, the more a victim is aware of human rights values, the more likely they are to feel humiliated. When one is acted upon in a way that undermines one’s sense of equal dignity, as it is enshrined in human rights, the psychological damage of humiliation is being inflicted. It is this damage that is particularly hard to recover and heal from. Lindner believes that humiliation is the necessary concept for defining victimhood as “victimhood” and as such has to be considered as the key ingredient that makes conflict comprehensible and thus preventable and manageable. According to Lindner, “victimhood at the hands of fellow human beings must entail the notion of humiliation, otherwise it would not be seen as victimhood but as pro-social event or natural disaster.”

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.