The Librarian

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses allowed to celebrate Thanksgiving?

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

The Librarian -
Melinda Mills -

Top Posters

The answer is no. Jehovah's WItnesses do not celebrate Thanksgiving. 
Although to be fair ... I have been to MANY witness gatherings where Turkey was served on Thanksgiving get togethers and we all snickered about actually having Turkey on Thanksgiving.

I imagine Bethel makes a strict rule about NOT having Turkey on "Turkey Day" however. :D

JW.org recently published an article stating the same.

Guest Nicole

@Melinda Mills

Do the elders of your congregation "allow" you to do a demonstration on the stage of your Kingdom hall or Assembly Hall wearing a mini-skirt?

2 hours ago, Melinda Mills said:

Haven't seen a sister in a mini skirt for a long time.

You probably haven't seen a sister in trousers either as here in the UK the sisters are NOT ALLOWED to wear trousers. 

And yes the word is ALLOWED because the GB make the RULES and the ELDERS act like policemen enforcing the RULES. If a person breaks the RULES too often they get Disfellowshipped. 

Deny all you like, you are like an Egyptian having a bath, always in de-nile :) 

Haven't seen any sisters in trousers either in the Kingdom Hall in my country. 

Saw sisters in elegant Punjabi dresses with trousers under them at an international convention in 2009 - not in my country. The country hosting the international convention has people of East Indian descent, so that is normal in that country.

• Similar Content

• By The Librarian
      Question sent in years ago that I never posted.
    • By Linda Griffin
      my name is Linda Griffin.
      email: lgriin479@yahoo.com
      i have not been receiving my two (2) articles from you anymore.
      Are you not doing it anymore or am I excluded? I read both sets of articles and I find it all very useful, including the study material.
      Please respond and let me know!
      i miss it terribly!
      Linda Griffin 
    • By Jack Ryan
      I see Black Friday witnessing is now a thing... and more appropriate for true Christians who aren't out showing materialistic greed.

• By Bible Speaks
      Giving Thanks? - Thanksgiving and Black Friday? - A Contradiction? ???
      Chuckle ???

• By Jack Ryan
      Another view on the 'thanksgiving' threads being posted here today....
      Unthanksgiving Day
      The National Day of Mourning
      A Thanksgiving bonfire at dawn: celebrating Native American resistance on Alcatraz
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      "Throughout the world harvest has always been the occasion for many queer customs which all have their origin in the animistic belief in the corn [grain]-spirit or corn [grain]-mother. This personification of the crops has left its impress upon the harvest customs of modern Europe. .... Throughout the world, as Sir J. G. Frazer shows, the semi-worship of the last sheaf is or has been the great feature of the harvest-home. Among harvest customs none is more interesting than harvest cries; the Devonshire reapers go through a ceremony which in its main features is a counterpart of pagan worship." - pp. 231-232, Encyclopedia Britannica, volume 11, 14th edition.

Note what the publication Holidays Around the World, by Joseph Gaer says about Thanksgiving:

"Thanksgiving for the annual harvest is one of the oldest holidays known to mankind ... 'The Romans celebrated their Thanksgiving early in October. The holiday was dedicated to the goddess of harvest, Ceres, and the holiday was called Cerelia. 'The Christians took over the Roman holiday and it became well established in England, where some of the Roman customs and rituals for this day were observed ... "

"The Pilgrims, who in 1621 observed our initial Thanksgiving holiday, were not a people especially enthusiastic about the celebration of festivals. In fact these austere and religious settlers of America would have been dismayed had they known of the long and popular history of harvest festivals, of which their Thanksgiving was only the latest. .... The harvest festival, with its attendant rites, seems to have spread out from ... Egypt and Syria and Mesopotamia. The first or the last sheaf of wheat was offered to the `Great Mother' ... Astarte [equivalent to Ishtar and Eastre] was the Earth Mother of the ancient Semites; to the Phrygians she was Semele; under the name of Demeter she was worshiped by the Greeks at the famous Eleusinian Mysteries..." - pp. 271-272, Celebrations - The Complete Book of American Holidays, Robert J. Myers, Doubleday & Co., 1972

God has always demanded that our worship to him, no matter how small, must be pure and untainted. God Himself said:

"And God proceeded to speak all these words, saying...You must not have any other gods against my face. Because I Jehovah your God am a God exacting EXCLUSIVE DEVOTION." (Ex. 20:1-5)
    • By The Librarian
      Question sent in to to me....
      Answer: Yes. And usually only sisters attend them.
    • By The Librarian
      No. Donations have no relevance as to whether a person is counted as a Witness or has any particular assignment or privilege in our organization. (Acts 8:18-20) In fact, most donations are made anonymously. Each Witness donates his time, energy, and resources to our worldwide work according to his own desire and circumstances.—2 Corinthians 9:7.
    • By The Librarian
      Government census bureaus often determine their figures by asking people which religious group they identify themselves with. For example, the U.S. Census Bureau states that their surveys “sought to determine whether the respondents regarded themselves as adherents of a religious community,” adding that the resulting figures are “subjective rather than objective.” By contrast, we count as Jehovah’s Witnesses only those who preach to others and who report that activity, not those who merely identify themselves as Witnesses.
    • By The Librarian
      Although we do not include such ones in the number of Witnesses, we welcome them in our congregations. Most of them attend the annual Memorial of Christ’s death, so the number of such ones can be roughly determined by the difference between the attendance at this meeting and the number of Witnesses. In 2015, the attendance at the Memorial was 19,862,783.
      Many who do not attend our meetings benefit from our free home Bible study program. During 2015, we conducted an average of 9,708,968Bible studies each month, some of which were held with several individuals at the same time.
    • By The Librarian
      Each month, Witnesses report their preaching activity to their local congregation. This report is made voluntarily.
      Congregation reports are tabulated, and the totals are sent to the local branch office. The branch sends the totals for each country or territory to our world headquarters.
      At the end of every service year, * the peak number of Witnesses for each land during that year is determined. These figures are added together to determine the number of Witnesses worldwide. Detailed reports for each country, including experiences from the preaching work, are published in the Yearbook of Jehovah’s Witnesses. These reports encourage us, just as similar reports encouraged the early Christians.—Acts 2:41; 4:4; 15:3.
    • By James Thomas Rook Jr.
      Today is November 18, 2017.
      In about five days or so many in the United States will celebrate a National Day of Thanksgiving, and many of Jehovah's Witnesses will not.
      WHY?
      Below is the complete text of U.S. President Abraham Lincoln's Thanksgiving day proclamation.
      Please read it carefully, and tell me ... What's wrong with THIS?
      ......................................................................................

Washington, D.C.
      October 3, 1863
      By the President of the United States of America.
      A Proclamation.
      The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequalled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.
      In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.
      Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the United States the Eighty-eighth.
      By the President: Abraham Lincoln
      William H. Seward,
      Secretary of State
      I cannot find anything wrong with this ... nothing at all.
      Do you see something that a sane, rational person should be seeing that I do NOT see?

• By The Librarian
      How do Jehovah’s Witnesses explain the dinosaurs?
      SM - Dallas, TX
    • By Queen Esther
      PS. Forget  the  hours...   we  not  should  compare  us  with  other  Brothers  or  families !  Jehovah  is  always  knowing  what  we  can  do  and  what  NOT !   A  CO.  said  before  longer  time,  when  we  want  go  but  not  can    For  JAH  its  so,  as  we  were  gone....  thats  LOVE   YES,  thats  our  GOD !   HE  *IS*  LOVE...  always  seeing  our  positive  things !  We  humans  get  long  time  to  learn  that,  1000 years    May  Jehovah  bless  you  and  your  family,  Brother  RJ...  Greetings  from  Germany,  AGAPE !
    • By The Librarian
      Hi there, My name is RJ and for two days I have been nonstop searching for clarification on counting time with unbaptized children. The organized to do Jehovah's will briefly talks about it. It states that a family head can count the time, study, and return visits for family worship. I understand that part. 4 hours per month, 4 return visits per month, and one study. Here is my dilemma, under the same sub-heading as that part it states that we count time, return visits, and bible studies for any one whom we study with that is unbaptized. I have four children and not only do we have our weekly family worship but each child also has their own independent study as well, age appropriate material for each child. So my question is, where can I find clarification of the situation? I was told no matter what you do with your family max is 4hr/ month, 4R.V./month, and one study/ month, however they are all unbaptized bible students. Thank you for your time and patience. - Brother RJ
    • By The Librarian
      Dear Librarian question submitted......
      I will have to research what binaural beats even are before answering to be honest.
      Agape!
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    didiervaissiere
    Newest Member
    didiervaissiere

• Topics

• Absolutely agree. But what I see as it is possible to read in WT Society text about Higher education is this: They tend to separate young minds from "secular knowledge" because of some fears. Perhaps one of fear is not main reason, to be learned about non-Bible ideas. But as main reason i see how this "secular ideas" can cause that young JW members begin to question WT and Bible.  Please have in mind what you already said, JHVH not decided to separate Congregation, but He doing just opposite. He let all sort of influence to be spread on  people, all people, not just JW's. If JHVH not made separation in literal way, than WT try to do this separation in limited level on limited class of people for limited time in their life - looks funny and not productive as they expect.  This was completely necessary to be said ... using this sort of illustration with mafia as subject :))))) ........... but you "provoked" me a little :)))) and i will add. We all working for devil the boss, because he is ruler, god of this world, global company/corporation. Just another, different way of rationalization.   :))))))
    • I agree that God is organized, which is clear in creation.  He has also organized his anointed Body of “144,000” perfectly, by distributing gifts in various measure. All are to benefit from each other.  (1 Cor chapter 12)  And he himself gave some as apostles and some as prophets and some as evangelists and some as pastors and teachers 12 for the equipping of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until we all reach the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to a measure of the maturity of the fullness of Christ.  Eph 4:11-13 In Matt 13:36-43 it says, “The Son of Man will send out his angels and they will gather out of his kingdom all the causes of sin and those who do lawless deeds” Matt 13:41 Jesus stated that his kingdom is “no part of this world”. John 18:36  His kingdom is comprised of the anointed – those part of his Body.  He is the “Lord of lords and King of kings”.  Rev 17:14 (Matt 20:21)    And they were singing a new song, saying, “You are worthy to take the scroll     and to open its seals, because you were slaughtered,     and bought people for God by your blood     from every tribe and language and people and nation, 10 and made them a kingdom and priests to our God,     and they will reign on the earth.” Rev 5:9,10 (1 Pet 2:5,9) Matt 13:37,38 – “So he answered and said, “The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man, 38 and the field is the world. And the good seed—these are the sons of the kingdom, but the darnel are the sons of the evil one.” If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. Gal 3:29 We know that not all of God’s anointed become faithful members of the Bride.  They can fall from their heavenly position. 2 Pet 3:17; Rev 8:10,11  This harvest firstly concerns those belonging to Christ, who are part of his kingdom and are found either as good seed or weeds.  I hope you can see that Matt 13:36-43 has nothing to do with the all the kingdoms on the earth and the people in them.  (Luke 4:5-7)  In Matt 13:38; It does say, “the field is the world” – but world can mean, “an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution” which describes the anointed arrangement of "kings" under their Head Jesus Christ.  John 4:23,24 -   Jesus said right before these scriptures:   “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.” John 4:21 Christ’s Body replaced the temple in Jerusalem.  There is no more literal, physical place of worship, since the Temple is now built with “living stones”.  1 Pet 2:5,9   They are given “spirit” and “truth”.  1 John 2:20,27; John 16:13  If they fail in their devotion to God and Christ, they lose what has been given them.  Luke 8:18; 1 Cor 3:18  They will not be sealed into the tribes of “Israel”.    Luke 13:24; Rev 3:11 Again in Rev 18:4, “my people”, refer to God’s holy people – His “special possession”.  They and their companions with them are to leave the “organization” where the “darnel” are teaching His people, lies. Rev 18:4-8 (1 Pet 2:5,9,10)      
    • I don't know if anyone provided an update to this story, but the "brother" finally pled guilty, and was sentenced to five years, for three felony counts of child rape with two different victims. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-who-raped-jehovah-s-witness-girls-sentenced-5-years-n1082136 Elihu Rodriguez, 32, of Yakima, Washington, was given five years, the maximum sentence prosecutors had asked for, after Rodriguez pleaded guilty to three felony counts of child rape in the third degree in September. He was also ordered to register as a sex offender. Both of his victims attended the sentencing, which took place Friday at the King County Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent, Washington. I believe this was the case I was told something about in 2018, which is why I mentioned then that I couldn't say much because it was an upcoming court case. If it's the same one, then someone (parent?) convinced her not to report it because it was just a matter that this 25-year-old was in love with her, and so they told her it was actually multiple acts of fornication, not child abuse or child rape. She agreed not to report on the basis that she would be considered guilty of fornication, too. So the family moved to another congregation, and within months, she got to a point where she decided she needed to report it to the elders. (I don't think it was because she learned about another girl being raped/abused by the man, even though this would make sense.) When she did report it to her new congregation's elders in 2013, they actually called the legal department just as they were supposed to, but evidently someone thought it was going to be possible to treat this as "consensual" and the elders tried to get her to say it was consensual. She refused to agree with the elders that it was consensual, and took it to the authorities. When I heard about this case (or perhaps another one just like it) I was only told the general area of the US, and some circumstances, but no names. I was only told that this was disturbing that someone would try to turn a child molestation case of a "16 year old girl" into a consensual case in spite of the young age. (I was not told that she was actually 14/15.) Years earlier, J R Brown, as a spokesmen for the Society, had tried to minimize a lot of these cases by saying that a lot of them are like cases of an 18 year old boy with a 16 year old girl, which sounded a bit like the old "boys will be boys" excuse. 
    • The point was that Jehovah is organized, the evidence is all around us. This leads us to believe that His visible favored people would be organized in doing His will. Moving forward we can consider WHO HE is about to sanction based on Matthew 13:36-43, John 4:23,24,Revelation 18:4 and a few more.......
  • Popular Now