The World News Media

Is it inappropriate for a Christian to participate in Black Friday?

Jack Ryan

55 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

I hope you at least have a Thanksgiving celebration and a July 4th fireworks celebration!?!?!?

😉

No, I don't get involved with any traditions of men. :).  And now I'm not a JW anymore i feel great that I do not have to comply with any human ideas of what I should do. I have peace.  

• Views 1.2k
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JW.ORG SPECIAL OFFERT FOR BLACK FRIDAY: IF YOU GET BAPTISED BEFORE MIDNIGHT, 50% OF ETERNAL LIFE MORE DO NOT MISS IT

Looks to me like JW's have anti -holidays, so it's just as bad.  I've known JW's that will not eat a roast dinner on 25th December because they are frightened it will look like a Christmas dinner.   

I think that if we really understand the following point in the "Knowledge" book, true Christians need to treat EVERY DAY AS BLACK FRIDAY!!! *** kl chap. 13 pp. 126-127 par. 17 Why Living a Godly

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

British people, the working class ones,

You are perfectly right. I know Christmas means a lot to them in these pc days.

Image result for london east end christmas

British people, the working class ones, have to work almost 24/7 so don't get much rest and don't see their families often

Hmm Yes

Image result for London christmas market

And you probably don't understand British people either. 

What? Like these British people??

Image result for British Cypriots

Caribbean.jpgImage result for British Somalis

Indian.jpgIndians.jpg

Oh how silly you are. Anyone can grab photos off the internet and pretend that it means something. 

I was once fooled by what i thought was a 'live video' of a terrible massacre, only to find out later it was a re-enactment of how somebody 'thought' it happened.............     I can easily relate that to you. you think you know how British people feel and act. 

It's not 'Christmas' that means a lot, it's the christmas break. The time off work, the rest period. time to relax and have fun with family and friends. And the people want to be left in peace, not talk religion. 

14 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

I personally have never and will never do a black Friday shopping spree. But I don't think it's become a day of worship. Satan wants the world to think that and many of them do. But if a Christian shops on black Friday for the glory of themselves or someone else instead of God, or goes crazy and gets mean and nasty, then that Christian will be accountable to God for their actions and heart condition. But shopping at a store on black Friday doesn't disqualify someone from the love of God or means their impending destruction at Armageddon. If that would be the case I would be in deep doodoo because I shopped on Friday. And I celebrated the 327th day thanking God for all I have with my beautiful girlfriend and her beautiful girls.

5 minutes ago, Matthew9969 said:

14 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

I personally have never and will never do a black Friday shopping spree. But I don't think it's become a day of worship. Satan wants the world to think that and many of them do. But if a Christian shops on black Friday for the glory of themselves or someone else instead of God, or goes crazy and gets mean and nasty, then that Christian will be accountable to God for their actions and heart condition. But shopping at a store on black Friday doesn't disqualify someone from the love of God or means their impending destruction at Armageddon. If that would be the case I would be in deep doodoo because I shopped on Friday. And I celebrated the 327th day thanking God for all I have with my beautiful girlfriend and her beautiful girls.

Yep it t'ain't what ya does tis it ? Tis the reason why yer does it :) 

Sepptin' some folks worry cus they might be a stumblin' someone.  Tis always sommit to be worryin about. 

Mericans tis strange folks um be, en um ?  And um in lumbrin us British wiv all those 'traditions of men' from Merica. 

Finkin that Halloween started in Merica, and dis Black Friday stuff. What's next ? 

On 11/23/2018 at 3:06 PM, Jack Ryan said:

This is how TRUE Christian JW's celebrate Black Friday -

And what is the religious meaning of Black Friday? 

From where I come from that did not exist until a few years ago. Black Fridays or Black Weekends have spread to many countries where the only meaning is to go to stores to buy things at "lower prices" if you want to go. 

7 hours ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

Anyone can grab photos off the internet and pretend that it means something.

Of course they can!

These pictures are all taken in the locality in which I did my ministry. Just to indicate there are many cultures in Britain, particularly inner city where most people are and where real experience is gained. 

7 hours ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

It's not 'Christmas' that means a lot, it's the christmas break. The time off work, the rest period. time to relax and have fun with family and friends. And the people want to be left in peace, not talk religion. 

I'm sure you mean well, but this could be construed as an example of narrow minded inexperience in assuming one view is held by everyone else.

'Christmas' means a lot to some people; many do not have time off work; many have no family and few friends; many DO want to talk about all sorts of serious matters, including religion, anytime. (We are not looking for those who do not by the way.) 

PS. reply if you like but pardon my non-response here as I have gone off topic now.

9 hours ago, Matthew9969 said:

But if a Christian shops on black Friday for the glory of themselves or someone else instead of God, or goes crazy and gets mean and nasty...

It was definitely for the glory of God and not self when I elbowed the jerk trying to lay his fat hands on the wide-screen TV I wanted.

The Electronic Zombie Apocalypse has yet to subside. So far the storm has yet to be calmed.

Around this time it is rare for one of this crazies to buy food from the store or hear anything regarding God.

That being said, The Super Wal-Mart in my area was a cross between Saving Private Ryan and World War Z utter chaos. There were some people hopping over and jumping over cars.

So far what has gone by this week

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.