The World News Media

Changes in the book of mormon

Jesus.defender

Changes in the Book of Mormon, the most correctED book in the world!

1 Nephi

1830: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of God.
Now: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son God. 11:18
1830: Behold, the Lamb of God, yea, even the Eternal Father! 
Now: Behold, the Lamb of God, yea, even the Son of the Eternal Father! 11:21
1830: yea, the everlasting God was judged of the world 
Now: yea, the Son of the everlasting God was judged of the world 11:32
1830: and Jesus Christ, which is the Lamb of God 
Now: and the Messiah, which is the Lamb of God 12:18
(This was changed to avoid contradicting 2 Nephi 10:3, which first reveals to Nephi the name of Christ.)
1830: ...the Lamb of God is the Eternal Father... 
Now: ...the Lamb of God is the son of the Eternal Father... 13:40
1830: ...and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, which swear by the name of the Lord... 
Now: ...are come forth out of the waters of Judah, or out of the waters of baptism, who swear by the name of the Lord...20:1
2 Nephi

First appearance of the word "Christ" in the modern BoM. "Christ" appeared earlier (1 Nephi 12:18) in the 1 830 edition, but was changed to "Messiah" to avoid contradicting this verse. 10:3
1830: seraphims 
Now: seraphim 
The 1830 edition copied the KJV error in the plural of seraph. 16:2, 6
1830: Wo me! 
Now: Wo is unto me! 16:5 
The omitted italicized word "is" was later corrected.
1830: Here I; send me. 
Now: Here I am; send me. 16:8 
The omitted italicized word "am" was later corrected.
1830: ...they shall be a white and delightsome people... 
Now: ...they shall be a pure and delightsome people.... 30:6 
"White" was changed to "delightsome" to try to soften the obvious racism of this prophecy.
Mosiah

1830 version: "...that king Benjamin had a gift from God..." 
Now: "...that king Mosiah had a gift from God..." 21:28
Since King Benjamin was dead at the time, this change was needed to avoid the obvious error.
Alma

1830: ... the Son of the only begotten of the Father ... 
Now: ... the only begotten of the Father ... 5:48
1830: cherubims (as in the King James Version) 
Now: cherubim 12:21 (Cheribims is the incorrect plural of cherub.)

On page 546 of the first edition of the Book of Mormon we read as follows:

"... for this cause did king Benjamin keep them ... "

In the 1964 edition, Ether 4:1, we read:

"... for this cause did king Mosiah keep them ... "

A change has been made in the First Book of Nephi, evidently in an attempt to strengthen the Mormon claim that baptism was practiced by the people in the Old Testament. This verse is taken from Isaiah 48, and appears as follows in the 1830 edition of the Book of Mormon:

"Hearken and hear this, O house of Jacob, which are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, which swear by the name of the Lord ... " (Book of Mormon, 1830 edition, page 52)

In modern editions it reads as follows:

"Hearken and hear this, O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah, or out of the waters of baptism, who swear by the name of the Lord ... " (Book of Mormon, 1964 edition, 1 Nephi 20:1)

It is interesting to note that even the signed statement by the eight witnesses to the Book of Mormon has been altered. In the 1830 edition (last page) it read:

"... that Joseph Smith, Jr. the Author and Proprietor of this work, has shewn unto us the plates ... "

In the 1964 edition it reads:

"... That Joseph Smith, Jun., the Translator of this work, has shown unto us the plates ... "

In the first edition, page 87, this statement appears:

"... the mean man boweth down ..."

In the 1964 edition (2 Nephi 12:9) this has been changed to read:

"... the mean man boweth not down ... "

In the first edition, page 303, this statement is made concerning God:

"... yea, I know that he allotteth unto men, yea, decreeth unto them decrees which are unalterable, according to their wills ... "

In the 1964 reprint (Alma 29:4) eight words have been deleted:

"... yea, I know that he allotteth unto men according to their wills ..."

In 1981 this was changed back to the original wording.

In the first edition, page 328, the following appears:

"... yea, and that ye preserve these directors ... And now my son, these directors were prepared, that the word of God might be fulfilled ..."

This has been changed to read as follows in the 1964 edition (Alma 37:21, 24):

"yea, and that ye preserve these interpreters… And now my son, these interpreters were prepared that the word of God might be fulfilled… "

n the first edition of the Book of Mormon, page 31, the following appears:

"…neither will the Lord God suffer that the Gentiles shall forever remain in that state of awful woundedness…"

In the 1964 edition (1 Nephi 13:32) this has been changed to read:

"Neither will the Lord God suffer that the Gentiles shall forever remain in that awful state of blindness…"

On page 214 of the first edition this statement appears:

"My soul was wrecked with eternal torment ..."

In the 1964 edition (Mosiah 27:29) this has been changed to read:

"My soul was racked with eternal torment ..."

On page 379 of the first edition this statement appears:

"Now the Nephites were guarded in the city of Gid; therefore Moroni caused that Laman and a small number of men which was appointed to go with him."

This sentence is incomplete in the first edition; however, in the 1964 edition (Alma 55:7) it was changed to read as follows:

"Now the Nephites were guarded in the city of Gid; therefore Moroni appointed Laman and caused that a small number of men should go with him."

On page 351 of the first edition we read:

"And when Moroni had said these words, he went forth among the people, waving the rent of his garment in the air, that all might see the writing which he had wrote upon the rent, and crying with a loud voice ..."

In the 1964 edition (Alma 46:19) this has been changed to read as follows:

"And when Moroni had said these words, he went forth among the people, waving the rent part of his garment in the air, that all might see the writing which he had written upon the rent part, crying with a loud voice ..."

On page 353 of the first edition this statement appeared:

"... the cause of diseases which was subsequent to man, by the nature of the climate."

In the 1964 reprint (Alma 46:40) this has been changed to read:

"... the cause of diseases, to which men were subject, by the nature of the climate—"

On page 382 of the first edition this statement appears:

"... for behold, his army had been reduced by the Lamanites because of the numerority of their forces having slain a vast number of our men ..."

In the 1964 reprint (Alma 56:10) this was changed to read:

"... for behold, his army had been reduced by the Lamanites because their forces had slain a vast number of our men ...."

On page 342 of the first edition we find the following:

"... took the remainder part of his army and marched ..."

In the 1964 reprint (Alma 43:25) this has been changed to read:

"... took the remaining part of his army and marched ..."

On page 501 of the first edition this statement appears:

"... for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more."

In the 1964 reprint (3 Nephi 22:4) nine words have been added:

"... for thou shalt forget the shame of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy youth, and shalt not remember the reproach of thy widowhood any more."

On page 305 of the first edition we find the following:

"But behold, it is the effects of a phrensied mind ... "

In the 1964 reprint (Alma 30:16) this has been changed to read:

"But behold, it is the effect of a frenzied mind ... "

On page 236 of the first edition the following statement appeared:

"... I know that Jesus Christ shall come; yea the Son of the only begotten of the Father ..."

In the 1964 reprint (Alma 5:48) the word of has been deleted:

"... I know that Jesus Christ shall come, yea, the Son, the Only begotten of the Father ... "

On page 555 of the first edition this statement appears:

"... his sons and to his daughters, which were not, or which did not seek his destruction."

In the 1964 edition (Ether 9:2) this has been changed to read:

"... his sons and to his daughters who did not seek his destruction."

On page 538 of the first edition this statement appeared:

"... and also that none other people knoweth our language; and because that none other people knoweth our language, therefore he hath prepared means for the interpretation thereof."

In the 1964 reprint (Mormon 9:34) nine words have been deleted:

"... and also that none other people knoweth our language; therefore he hath prepared means for the interpretation thereof."

On page 203 of the first edition we find the following:

"... none were consecrated except it were just men."

In the 1964 reprint (Mosiah 23:17) this has been changed to read:

"... none were consecrated except they were just men."

On page 475 of the first edition the following appears:

"... because they testified particular concerning us, which is the remnant of their seed... . And those things which testifies of us, are they not written ..."

In the 1964 reprint (3 Nephi 11:16, 17) this has been changed to read:

"... because they testified particularly concerning us, who are the remnant of their seed.... And these things which testify of us, are they not written..."

On page 541 of the first edition we find the following:

"... and not continue in your iniquities until the fulness be come ..."

In the 1964 reprint (Ether 2:11) this has been changed to read:

"... and not continue in your iniquities until the fulness come ..."

On page 233 of the first edition we find this statement:

"... he awaked them out of a deep sleep ..."

In the 1964 edition (Alma 5:7) this has been changed to read:

"... he awakened them out of a deep sleep ..."

On page 272 of the first edition we find the following:

"... and thus we will reserve the flocks unto the king ..."

In the 1964 edition (Alma 17:31) this has been changed to read:

"... and thus we will preserve the flocks unto the king ..."