Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Jack Ryan -
Outta Here -

Top Posters

Some parents are guilty of  encouraging children to delay baptism because they have no confidence in the child's ability to live up to their baptism, and some pressure children to get baptized before they learn the truth and make their own decision.

• Upvote 2

Well this is very interesting topic and as a father  in my case, i can say, i rather wait for my son to be in his late adulthood before getting baptized then having my child going through adulthood with the chance of disfellowshiped and all that shaming and shunning  that comes with all the brothers and sisters in the congregation.

• Upvote 2

I believe Jesus was 30 years old when he presented himself for baptism to do his Father's will. 

But, in my opinion, there is competition between families, and even between congregations, to get the most children baptised. 

At assemblies it's 'who is getting baptised today?' How many getting baptised today ?  

It is so competitive, and so unchristian. 

Well, if what is on another post is true, 5 year old children are getting baptised in some countries. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

Jesus was 30 years old when he presented himself for baptism to do his Father's will

Do you think this made him more accountable?

• Haha 1

Jesus could have been baptized earlier, though. He was dedicated to Jehovah from infancy and he pleased God and men throughout his youth. Luke 2:51,52.  The legal age for taking up the profession of priest was about 30 years. Since he was king/priest designate, he took it up at that time officially.

18 minutes ago, Outta Here said:

Do you think this made him more accountable?

I think it was all perfectly timed just as God wanted it to take place.

However I think it was a good example of a mature age for reasoning on the scriptures and communicating with God through prayer. 

As Jesus was and still is perfect his ability to think properly has always been perfect.

As humans today are all mentally unbalanced, due to our imperfections, then it seems sensible to wait to be of a mature age to at least give ourselves some chance of trying to serve God properly. 

Some of us may think we are mature, but self assessment is seldom a good recommendation. 

I think another interesting factor also, is that when numbers /quantities of people, are mentioned in the Greek scriptures, it tends to refer to grown adult men. As in feeding the five thousand. And I think at one point, but maybe not now, when the number of people in the Kingdom Hall was counted, it would be only the adults counted. 

So in many cases there seems to be recommendation for waiting to get baptised until a person is of a mature age. 

1. accountable definition: 1. Someone who is accountable is completely responsible for what they do and must be able to give a satisfactory reason for it: 

I think Jesus was only accountable to God. 

9 minutes ago, Melinda Mills said:

Jesus could have been baptized earlier, though. He was dedicated to Jehovah from infancy and he pleased God and men throughout his youth. Luke 2:51,52.  The legal age for taking up the profession of priest was about 30 years. Since he was king/priest designate, he took it up at that time officially.

I think you have actually proved my point thanks. 

" The legal age for taking up the profession of priest was about 30 years. "

And that was when Jesus got baptised.  

It's quite funny how some folks want to use the Bible situations as examples, but only when it suits them. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

So in many cases there seems to be recommendation for waiting to get baptised until a person is of a mature age. 

Is that what you did?

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By The Librarian
      Babies baptised into the Catholic Church are “infant conscripts who are held to lifelong obligations of obedience”, according to former president Mary McAleese.
      Saying that early Baptism breaches fundamental human rights, she said: “You can’t impose, really, obligations on people who are only two weeks old and you can’t say to them at seven or eight or 14 or 19 ‘here is what you contracted, here is what you signed up to’ because the truth is they didn’t.”
      The current model of Baptism “worked for many centuries because people didn’t understand that they had the right to say no, the right to walk away”, she declared.
      “But you and I know, we live now in times where we have the right to freedom of conscience, freedom of belief, freedom of opinion, freedom of religion and freedom to change religion. The Catholic Church yet has to fully embrace that thinking,” she told The Irish Times.
      She said conscience was “supreme” where Catholics were concerned.
      “My human right to inform my own conscience, my human right to express my conscience even if it is the case that it contradicts the magisterium [teaching authority of the church], that right to conscience is supreme.”

Abandoned teachings
      She said many things down the centuries were taught “with great passion that quietly now have been abandoned by the very magisterium that taught them”.
      She instanced examples such as its condemnation of Gallileo or, more recently, the description in 1930 by Pope Pius XI of those who advocated emancipation and equality for women as “false teachers”.
      Mrs McAleese said she did not intend to attend any World Meeting of Families events in Dublin in August because it had “become a political rally rather than a religious and spiritual experience”.
      The meeting, which will be attended by Pope Francis, is a forum “for the reinforcement of orthodoxy”, she said.
      She will, however, be taking part in the Dublin Pride Parade next Saturday “under the BeLongTo banner” and with “the members of our own family, straight and gay, young and old, we’ll all be there”.
      https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/mary-mcaleese-baptised-children-infant-conscripts-1.3540624
    • By Queen Esther
      Very  rare  and  never  seen  in  Europe...   a  SO  young  sister  before  her  baptism !
      But  I  saw  it  in  pic's  and  reports  -  its  really  true !!   I  will  soon  post  it  here...
      Its  great  -  how  mature  the  kids  in  Asia  and  Africa...    wow ! 
    • By Queen Esther
      3 very  young brothers baptized ?   Their smiles say it all
      Or  perhaps  they're  happy  about  the  new  booklets, before?
      *ORGANIZED  TO  DO  JEHOVAH'S  WILL*
      Whatever  for  the  next  time...  Congratulations!  and Jehovah's  blessing
    • By Jack Ryan
      Seven and nine year olds making a life long decision which could mean their families may kick them out of the house in their late teens and shun them.

• Who Was Online   90 Users were Online in the Last 24 Hours   (Most members ever online in 24 hour was 111, last accomplished on .)

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation