Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Jack Ryan -
Outta Here -

Top Posters

Some parents are guilty of  encouraging children to delay baptism because they have no confidence in the child's ability to live up to their baptism, and some pressure children to get baptized before they learn the truth and make their own decision.

Well this is very interesting topic and as a father  in my case, i can say, i rather wait for my son to be in his late adulthood before getting baptized then having my child going through adulthood with the chance of disfellowshiped and all that shaming and shunning  that comes with all the brothers and sisters in the congregation.

I believe Jesus was 30 years old when he presented himself for baptism to do his Father's will. 

But, in my opinion, there is competition between families, and even between congregations, to get the most children baptised. 

At assemblies it's 'who is getting baptised today?' How many getting baptised today ?  

It is so competitive, and so unchristian. 

Well, if what is on another post is true, 5 year old children are getting baptised in some countries. 

Jesus could have been baptized earlier, though. He was dedicated to Jehovah from infancy and he pleased God and men throughout his youth. Luke 2:51,52.  The legal age for taking up the profession of priest was about 30 years. Since he was king/priest designate, he took it up at that time officially.

18 minutes ago, Outta Here said:

Do you think this made him more accountable?

I think it was all perfectly timed just as God wanted it to take place.

However I think it was a good example of a mature age for reasoning on the scriptures and communicating with God through prayer. 

As Jesus was and still is perfect his ability to think properly has always been perfect.

As humans today are all mentally unbalanced, due to our imperfections, then it seems sensible to wait to be of a mature age to at least give ourselves some chance of trying to serve God properly. 

Some of us may think we are mature, but self assessment is seldom a good recommendation. 

I think another interesting factor also, is that when numbers /quantities of people, are mentioned in the Greek scriptures, it tends to refer to grown adult men. As in feeding the five thousand. And I think at one point, but maybe not now, when the number of people in the Kingdom Hall was counted, it would be only the adults counted. 

So in many cases there seems to be recommendation for waiting to get baptised until a person is of a mature age. 

Hello guest!

Hello guest!
  1. accountable definition: 1. Someone who is accountable is completely responsible for what they do and must be able to give a satisfactory reason for it: 

I think Jesus was only accountable to God. 

9 minutes ago, Melinda Mills said:

Jesus could have been baptized earlier, though. He was dedicated to Jehovah from infancy and he pleased God and men throughout his youth. Luke 2:51,52.  The legal age for taking up the profession of priest was about 30 years. Since he was king/priest designate, he took it up at that time officially.

I think you have actually proved my point thanks. 

" The legal age for taking up the profession of priest was about 30 years. "

And that was when Jesus got baptised.  

It's quite funny how some folks want to use the Bible situations as examples, but only when it suits them. 

• Similar Content

• By Albert Michelson
      What is the good news?

The Bible is clear that even if someone had been clearly selected by god if they deviate from the truth they are to be rejected. 

Galatians 1:8-9 However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to YOU as good news something beyond what we declared to YOU as good news, let him be accursed.  9 As we have said above, I also now say again, Whoever it is that is declaring to YOU as good news something beyond what YOU accepted, let him be accursed.

This holds even more weight for ones like the GB who are not clearly selected and who's claim to authority rests solely on a demonstrably false interpretation of scripture.
      The organization claims that the 1914 teaching is necessary for salvation and even goes as far as to claim that the 1914 teaching is the good news spoken of in the Bible.
      *** w67 12/15 pp. 753-754 pars. 3-4 What Now Distinguishes the Good News to Be Preached ***
      "What a joy-inspiring addition or enlargement to the good news now to be preached! Now has come the victorious kingdom of our God together with the authority of his Christ, his Messiah! As for Satan the Devil and his demons, they have only a short period of time until they are bound and imprisoned in the abyss after the “war of the great day of God the Almighty” at Armageddon. All this additional wonderful information has been true since the end of the “appointed times of the nations” in 1914, and particularly since World War I closed in the year 1918. Not before the “appointed times of the nations” ended in the fall of 1914 could the good news be preached of the newborn, established heavenly kingdom of God and of his Messiah. This, then, must be the good news that Jesus Christ in his prophecy said had to be preached first in all the nations. (Mark 13:10) This generation of human society that has seen and experienced the world events since the Gentile Times closed in 1914—this is the “generation” that will not pass away until all the things foretold have happened, including the preaching of the good news first in all nations.
      4 Jesus’ prophecy in Mark 13:10, “Also, in all the nations the good news has to be preached first,” has not been undergoing fulfillment during the past nineteen centuries. It is only since the second decade of our twentieth century that this prophecy has been undergoing fulfillment. This began to be realized by the International Bible Students Association and the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society since the end of the second decade of our century. In the magazine issue of July 1, 1920, of The Watch Tower and Herald of Christ’s Presence the article was published entitled “Gospel of the Kingdom” and based on the theme text, “‘And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.’—Matthew 24:14.”
       It is for this reason that the organization is chained to the 1914 teaching. As the scripture I quoted above demonstrates the Bible says that one who teaches a good news that is false is cursed. If the organization admits that the 1914 and 1919 teachings are false they will have to admit that not only were they not selected as gods channel but that they have been teaching a false good news for the majority of their existence. It is for that reason that they disfellowship and shun people who cannot conscientiously remain in the faith. It's easier to just eliminate the opposition then to actually address the real issues with your theology. 
      *** w86 4/1 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***
      Why have Jehovah’s Witnesses disfellowshipped (excommunicated) for apostasy some who still profess belief in God, the Bible, and Jesus Christ?

"Approved association with Jehovah’s Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah’s Witnesses. What do such beliefs include?

That the great issue before humankind is the rightfulness of Jehovah’s sovereignty, which is why he has allowed wickedness so long. (Ezekiel 25:17) That Jesus Christ had a prehuman existence and is subordinate to his heavenly Father. (John 14:28) That there is a “faithful and discreet slave” upon earth today ‘entrusted with all of Jesus’ earthly interests,’ which slave is associated with the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. (Matthew 24:45-47) That 1914 marked the end of the Gentile Times and the establishment of the Kingdom of God in the heavens, as well as the time for Christ’s foretold presence. (Luke 21:7-24; Revelation 11:15–12:10) That only 144,000 Christians will receive the heavenly reward. (Revelation 14:1, 3) That Armageddon, referring to the battle of the great day of God the Almighty, is near. (Revelation 16:14, 16; 19:11-21) That it will be followed by Christ’s Millennial Reign, which will restore an earth-wide paradise. That the first to enjoy it will be the present “great crowd” of Jesus’ “other sheep.”—John 10:16; Revelation 7:9-17; 21:3, 4."

This is supposedly a list of the fundamental doctrines of Jehovah's Witnesses that all are required to believe. You will in most cases be disfellowshiped for not believing in one or more of them. Unfortunately the truth is most of them are false.
    • By The Librarian
      Babies baptised into the Catholic Church are “infant conscripts who are held to lifelong obligations of obedience”, according to former president Mary McAleese.
      Saying that early Baptism breaches fundamental human rights, she said: “You can’t impose, really, obligations on people who are only two weeks old and you can’t say to them at seven or eight or 14 or 19 ‘here is what you contracted, here is what you signed up to’ because the truth is they didn’t.”
      The current model of Baptism “worked for many centuries because people didn’t understand that they had the right to say no, the right to walk away”, she declared.
      “But you and I know, we live now in times where we have the right to freedom of conscience, freedom of belief, freedom of opinion, freedom of religion and freedom to change religion. The Catholic Church yet has to fully embrace that thinking,” she told The Irish Times.
      She said conscience was “supreme” where Catholics were concerned.
      “My human right to inform my own conscience, my human right to express my conscience even if it is the case that it contradicts the magisterium [teaching authority of the church], that right to conscience is supreme.”

Abandoned teachings
      She said many things down the centuries were taught “with great passion that quietly now have been abandoned by the very magisterium that taught them”.
      She instanced examples such as its condemnation of Gallileo or, more recently, the description in 1930 by Pope Pius XI of those who advocated emancipation and equality for women as “false teachers”.
      Mrs McAleese said she did not intend to attend any World Meeting of Families events in Dublin in August because it had “become a political rally rather than a religious and spiritual experience”.
      The meeting, which will be attended by Pope Francis, is a forum “for the reinforcement of orthodoxy”, she said.
      She will, however, be taking part in the Dublin Pride Parade next Saturday “under the BeLongTo banner” and with “the members of our own family, straight and gay, young and old, we’ll all be there”.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
    • By Queen Esther
      Very  rare  and  never  seen  in  Europe...   a  SO  young  sister  before  her  baptism !
      But  I  saw  it  in  pic's  and  reports  -  its  really  true !!   I  will  soon  post  it  here...
      Its  great  -  how  mature  the  kids  in  Asia  and  Africa...    wow ! 
    • By Queen Esther
      3 very  young brothers baptized ?   Their smiles say it all
      Or  perhaps  they're  happy  about  the  new  booklets, before?
      *ORGANIZED  TO  DO  JEHOVAH'S  WILL*
      Whatever  for  the  next  time...  Congratulations!  and Jehovah's  blessing
    • By Jack Ryan
      Seven and nine year olds making a life long decision which could mean their families may kick them out of the house in their late teens and shun them.

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Patricia deaton
    Newest Member
    Patricia deaton

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.